Abandoned WDW Attractions

xtina72

It is no longer maintained. it is called the swamp trail and the bridge is near the 300 loop beind the play ground. It is very over grown

1978_ftwildernessmap_web.jpg

I would love to see an actual picture of the bridge, I never knew it was there.

_Scar

Aww, that would of been a really cool effect if they thought it through. :/

Did they ever let people swim in SSL?

Horizons1

It is no longer maintained. it is called the swamp trail and the bridge is near the 300 loop beind the play ground. It is very over grown

I've been back there, but the trail ended shortly after I got on it. How far back did you go to see the bridge? I climbed over some logs and wandered far back in, but decided it would best to head back since I didn't feel like getting bit by a snake or something else that day.

Krack2

Did they ever let people swim in SSL?

Yes. When the resort opened, you could swim in the lake. The competing excuses/explanations as to why it is no longer allowed is that either (a) there's a special kind of amoeba that lives in the florida swamps and causes brain damage, and/or (b) they were worried someone might be hit and injured by one of the boat rentals. Who knows what's true?

_Scar

You know, you see postcards of people in the water, and people in River Country (which is technically SSL), but I really don't know if a dip in the open lagoon itself was possible then. With the gators that swim around in SSL now, must've been relevant then also. :lol:

Pshhh. Gators weren't around back then!

jrlang1

Original Poster
I've been back there, but the trail ended shortly after I got on it. How far back did you go to see the bridge? I climbed over some logs and wandered far back in, but decided it would best to head back since I didn't feel like getting bit by a snake or something else that day.

Goto the start and turn down the canal it is in the woods and mostly covered with vines. It can calso be seen from the play ground by the 300 loop in the woods behind it

You can brefly see the bride in the following movie at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n633qZJJgJc. this is the one the train crosses after following along the chickasaw creek as scene on the map on page 2. I think i mistaken the acess road along the creek for the swamp trail. I used the acess trail to reach the start of the trail

Rob562

Yes. When the resort opened, you could swim in the lake. The competing excuses/explanations as to why it is no longer allowed is that either (a) there's a special kind of amoeba that lives in the florida swamps and causes brain damage, and/or (b) they were worried someone might be hit and injured by one of the boat rentals. Who knows what's true?

For the most part, it's the "brain eating amoeba". There is no public swimming (well, shore-based swimming) in any freshwater lake in Florida because of it. It's OK to waterski, tube, etc in the water because the amoeba is found along the bottom of the lake, so out in the deep water in the middle of the lake there's no problem.

The amoeba affects mostly children, the elderly and anyone with a reduced immune system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

-Rob

jrlang1

Original Poster
For the most part, it's the "brain eating amoeba". There is no public swimming (well, shore-based swimming) in any freshwater lake in Florida because of it. It's OK to waterski, tube, etc in the water because the amoeba is found along the bottom of the lake, so out in the deep water in the middle of the lake there's no problem.

The amoeba affects mostly children, the elderly and anyone with a reduced immune system.

-Rob

And i am guessing this is why river country closed.

DarthGrady

-Rob

Huh? Where in the world did this information come from?

There are many lakes in Florida that can be swam in, from shore or otherwise. In fact, just in our Ocala National Forest there are many lakes with well kept public beaches and swimming areas. The amoeba might be a concern, but no more than the thousands of alligators. :eek:

_Scar

-Rob

:eek:

Oh my....

PhotoDave219

Or sneak in like some ________________ do. I'm still hoping they'll do something with Discovery Island...

I was suggesting things that do not end in a conversation with the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Being caught trespassing in River Country? I can only think that would end badly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom