AAA travelers checks?

rocketscientist

I had another quick question that I was wondering if people may know the answer to. I'm leaving for Disney in a week and a half, and we got some AAA travelers checks. I haven't been since I've been a kid, but I remember my parents using these.

Does anyone know what types of places in Disney World would take these? I assume not cart vendors and such, but the souvenier stores and larger restaurants? Would they? Also would the counter service eateries take them? Thanks-so-much!

pluto3198

We usually take traveler's checks and cash out $100 per day at the resort front desk each morning before we hit the parks. Front desks a Disney hotels will do this for you with no problems.

Upvote 0

dave2822

I don't know if someone has a complied and comprehensive list, but I can generally state with confidence that most places in WDW take travel checks, including at least most counter service restaurants.

Again, sorry I can't be more specific, but I'd say you won't run into a problem whatsoever using them at almost all restaurants (full or counter), shops, and the like

Enjoy your trip :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I had another quick question that I was wondering if people may know the answer to. I'm leaving for Disney in a week and a half, and we got some AAA travelers checks. I haven't been since I've been a kid, but I remember my parents using these.

Does anyone know what types of places in Disney World would take these? I assume not cart vendors and such, but the souvenier stores and larger restaurants? Would they? Also would the counter service eateries take them? Thanks-so-much!
Most places will take them without a problem, although some will ask you for an ID. Depending on how large a denomination you have, you shouldn't really have any problems with them.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I remember my brother going to WDW with us, and how time consuming it was for him to cash traveler's checks in the parks. I ditto the cash a couple of checks every morning idea. I use my credit card or room card for everything except cart purchases. I bring a couple hundred dollars for that (which I divide among my husband, son, and I) so that they don't have to ask me for any cash.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Another thing, if you get the two signature kind remember that both people must be present to sign in front of the cashier or they are no good. I would cash $100-$200 each day at the front desk and then use the cash or charge back to your room and use them to pay off the bill daily.

Upvote 0

Number_6

Another thing, if you get the two signature kind remember that both people must be present to sign in front of the cashier or they are no good. I would cash $100-$200 each day at the front desk and then use the cash or charge back to your room and use them to pay off the bill daily.

With the AAA Traveler's Checks, the dual signature one only has to be initially signed by both on the upper lines(Signature 1 and Signature 2). When used for a purchase, the person signing the check for payment must have their signature match one of the two on the signature lines. You don't both have to sign it again at the time of use for it to be valid.

As far as where they are accepted, I haven't found anyplace on Disney property that doesn't take them and I've used them two or three separate trips. Actually, I may have to get more soon since I'm taking another vacation to Disney next month.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

While I use American Express ones, I can say that I have yet to find anywhere on property that would not allow them. In all honesty, I have never been asked for ID either. We usually take the majority of our spending money that way, and just use them throughout the trip. It never occurred to me to cash them out in the morning, but I've never felt it took long to use them anywhere we were. I do like that idea though. :)

Upvote 0

rocketscientist

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the help, I think I might do a mix, cash some in the morning, and bring a few with us. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Upvote 0

Number_6

The thing is, the whole point of the traveler's checks is that you avoid having cash on you. That way if your wallet gets stolen, you still have the receipts for them in a safe place and can get them replaced. If you cash them out in the morning, and it gets stolen, you'll be out the amount that you cashed. Just a thought...

Upvote 0

Tramp

I've used AAA travelers checks almost everywhere in Disney World although I don't recall ever using them at a vendor cart. It doesn't seem too cool to try to cash a $100 check for a bottle of soda. The counter services, restaurants and souvenir shops have no problem cashing them. :wave:

Upvote 0

Tramp

FYI-- AAA is going to stop selling all traveler's cheques soon. They already stopped selling foreign ones.

Where did you hear this? This is the only service I ever use from them. :( I'm going there tomorrow to get some checks and I'll ask them about it and let you know what they said next week sometime.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

The thing is, the whole point of the traveler's checks is that you avoid having cash on you. That way if your wallet gets stolen, you still have the receipts for them in a safe place and can get them replaced. If you cash them out in the morning, and it gets stolen, you'll be out the amount that you cashed. Just a thought...

It's a good idea to have some cash on your person since there are some carts here and there, the people that sell the light up stuff during parades and fantasmic as well as the food vendors walking around fantasmic that do not take traveller's checks.

Upvote 0

Tramp

Traveler's Checks

My local AAA has no knowledge of an impending end to this service. That's not to say it ain't gonna happen, I'm only saying they're denying it. :wave:

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Traveler's checks seem so old-fashioned to me... (I'm 33). Why not just use a credit card for practically everything? I use my credit card for almost everything, and get 1-5% cash back on things. You don't get that with traveler's checks. I expect I'll tie my room card to my credit card and purchase almost everything that way. Over a 12-day stay, maybe $100 in cash will be spent. The only real edge I can see traveler's checks having is establishing and keeping a budget. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

dave2822

Actually, the main benefit of traveler's checks is that you are reimbursed if they get lost or stolen ... something you certainly can't do with cash and with less of the hassle then when you need to report your credit card stolen.

So, basically, they are for peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom