A Week Of...???

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Down here we don't get "flavours". Just the plain stuff.

I still like it from time to time. I'll buy a small container and make banana and nutella sandwiches on toasted white sourdough bread.
Nope sorry, Oreo & choc flavoured beaver tails.

No Oreo or Reese Nutella up here either.

DO NOT give Son #1 any ideas.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
@Bob, meet @JenniferS, the resident Canadian of the Sageteer thread.

We should introduce her to @Monty!
How do I get dragged into these things? :rolleyes:

I'm all kinds of fun. I just have all of my fun and food sans 'shrooms.

You can ask the official WDWMagic Canadian, @Monty , I'm pretty darn close to being Canadian....I'm just missing the accent and passport. :)

Yes, @Bob is a fan... He likes Canada and Canadians [as should all 'merkuns :cautious:].

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 5 - Meal 1 - Sausage English Muffin

This morning I was crawling. Could be the diet, but I don't think so. I think there are other factors.

Still, I didn't jump out of bed.

My weight this morning was 208.25 lbs. My BMI (body fat) is 23.5%. My hydration is 56.2%.

So, while I seriously considering replacing the ham version with this, I love sausage. It is so good and delicious, right?

I'll spare you all the introductions, and skip straight to the meal.

With "egg whites and cheese".

Yeah, still tasteless.I thought I'd give this another chance, but it is still bad. The muffin is actually the best part!

I'd go on about it, but I already have, and I give it the same grade, for the same reasons.

Meal Metrics

Turkey Sausage English Muffin, 8 oz Non-fat Milk, 8 oz Enriched OJ, 1 Centrum Mens, 1 Coffee (black)

Total Cost - $1.50

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values
Calories - 420
Fat - 9%
Sat Fat - 13%
Cholesterol - 7%
Sodium - 26%
Carb - 23%
Fiber - 6%
Protien - 46%
Vit A - 84%
Vit C - 254%
Calcium - 96%
Iron - 52%

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - C

See you at lunch!

Last edited:

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Week 1 - Day 5 - Meal 1 - Canadian Style Turkey Bacon English Muffin

This morning I wasn't feeling well at all. Very sluggish.

Well, metics. My weight this morning was 106.6 lbs. My BMI (body fat) is 24.5%. My hydration is 55.3%.

For @JenniferS, eh? <wink>

With "egg whites and cheese". Same description as the sausage muffin I had a few days ago. And, that's not promising.

Well, 2 minutes later and breakfast is served. It looks pretty sad...actually. But, that's in keeping with my lack of anticipation for this (again due to my experience with the sausage ones).

I think I've now gotten used to this overly sweet OJ. I can't wait to get back to the "real" stuff!

Well...verdict? This wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as yesterdays quesidilla, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Sausage Muffin I had before. The ham is certainly a better meat choice, if you go this route. It adds a salty taste to the sandwich that the sausage lacked.

I am still disappointed with the eggs here. You'd think they'd all be the same between the dishes, but this is obviously not the case. The other eggs I've had have been pretty tasty. But the eggs on these sandwiches is just bland and...well...sad.

However, if I have to choose between this or the sausage? I'd certainly choose this one.

Meal Metrics

Turkey Sausage English Muffin, 8 oz Non-fat Milk, 8 oz Enriched OJ, 1 Centrum Mens, 1 Coffee (black)

Total Cost - $1.50

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values
Calories - 420
Fat - 9%
Sat Fat - 13%
Cholesterol - 7%
Sodium - 26%
Carb - 23%
Fiber - 6%
Protien - 46%
Vit A - 84%
Vit C - 254%
Calcium - 96%
Iron - 52%

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - C

See you at lunch!
106.6 lbs?! I'm gonna start calling you Iggy Pop. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 2 - Ravioli Florentine

Another busy day and, since I was just feeling sluggish, even after breakfast, I decided to work from home and stay away from all the craziness that comes up at the office. (perk of my job, I can work from pretty much anywhere as long as I have a computer, internet and a cel phone).

So, while it was busy, I did eat more on a normal lunch schedule today. Still, I'm ready for this!

According to the box..."Tender ravioli filled with creamy ricotta cheese and tossed in a hearty marinara sauce." Hrm...ok.

Time to stir. Looks good, smells good. The texture of the sauce, specifically that it's chunky and not watery, is interesting to me.

Another minute in the microwave and a short rest and it's ready!

Lunch is served!

I'll admit, this looks very good. And, it was. The spinach was a great addition to the sauce, and I love the chunky consistency. The seasoning on the raviloli filling is amazingly good.

I enjoyed everything about this meal except the ravioli pasta itself. It cooked inconsistently. Some raviolis were perfect, others were tough, and one was hot on one side, but a few bites in and it was ice cold!

This is the first dish I've had that cooked unevenly. You'd expect that with microwave meals, but it still ruined what was going to be a solid A+ dish.

Meal Metrics

Ravioli Florentine, 12 oz Coke Classic

Total Cost - $1.36 ($3.54)

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values.
Daily totals in parenthesis

Calories - 350 (770)
Fat - 10% (19%)
Sat Fat - 13% (26%)
Cholesterol - 5% (12%)
Sodium - 22% (48%)
Carb - 22% (55%)
Fiber - 27% (33%)
Protein - 0% (46%)
Vit A - 0% (84%)
Vit C - 0% (254%)
Calcium - 15% (111%)
Iron - 8% (60%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - A

Dinner is next!

LAM378

I'll admit, this looks very good. And, it was. The spinach was a great addition to the sauce, and I love the chunky consistency. The seasoning on the raviloli filling is amazingly good!
These are my favorite! I had them last night.
I found myself eyeing up the Smart Ones freezer case in Wegman's tonight. I may or may not have been looking for the Salisbury steak. My son hurried me along so I didn't buy anything, but I probably will next time. I don't know how you're making some of this stuff look appetizing ...but you are!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 3 - Homestyle Turkey Breast with Stuffing

Well, time for a hearty homestyle meal tonight!

Hrm...I'm not sure what to make of the frozen brown glob there...the veggies look pretty good though!

Ok, time to stir. And, a surprise! The veggies are seasoned with something. Chopped parsley and dill perhaps? I must say, it's looking rather promising at this point. Though...where is the turkey?

Oh...there it is! Hrm...rather...small....

Yes...basically just two slices of overly processed Turkey. Small...and...thin. Well, time to break this guy back out again, I guess.

are_you_kidding_me_rage_face_meme_stickers-rdecdc1bb1bdd447aa238b6140e6d6935_v9wth_8byvr_512.jpg

But, the real question is, how did it taste?

Mixed. Yeah, I know that's not a fantastic grade, but you'll see why in a moment.

I'll start with the high points and end with the low. The gravy tasted fantastic, and really brought it all together. The carrots, red potato and green beans were likewise great. Perfect texture, not soggy at all.

Now, I know what you are thinking...right? The turkey is going to be something I pan. Well, actually, it tasted fine. I think this is largely from the gravy saving it, but I actually didn't mind the fact that they really aren't much more than small sandwich slices.

So, what made the review "mixed?". Well, remember that step about "stirring"? You microwave it for 3.5 minutes, then stir, then microwave for another minute and let rest for 1.5 minutes. It's supposed to help with even cooking, among other things. So, I did it, just like the box told me to do.

This means that the one ingredient that was actually pretty close to inedible ended up spread all throughout the rest of the meal.

That's right. The stuffing.

Doesn't look too bad on first glance, but look closer. You'll see that the bread on the back has not absorbed the gravy well.

That's good though, right? Don't want soggy stuffing. Well, sure. Except, the parts of the stuffing that didn't absorb any of the gravy during cooking had the consistency of a slightly damp raw store bought crouton.

And now, thanks to the stirring step, these are littered through the dish. Imagine snagging a fork full of vegetables, and as you chew, you crunch, unexpectedly, into a crouton. A bland crouton at that!

The dish was ok, but the stuffing was just awful.

Ok, I finally got to try the last flavor. The Raspberry! Only one man DARES give me the RASPBERRY!

And it was delicious! I think this is my favorite. The bitterness of the raspberry works perfectly with the coating!

Well, not the best breakfast, but a great lunch. And, outside of the teeth grating stuffing, dinner wasn't bad either.
Meal Metrics

Homestyle Turkey with Stuffing, 12 oz Coke, 1 Raspberry Greek Fruit Bar

Total Cost - $3.79 ($7.33)

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values.
Daily totals in parenthesis

Calories - 500 (1270)
Fat - 14% (33%)
Sat Fat - 24% (50%)
Cholesterol - 7% (19%)
Sodium - 31% (79%)
Carb - 31% (76%)
Fiber - 14% (47%)
Protein - 30% (76%)
Vit A - 36% (120%)
Vit C - 4% (258%)
Calcium - 11% (122%)
Iron - 10% (70%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - B-
Daily Grade (purely subjective) - B-

Well, that's it for Day 2! I'll see you all in the morning with breakfast!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
These are my favorite! I had them last night.
I found myself eyeing up the Smart Ones freezer case in Wegman's tonight. I may or may not have been looking for the Salisbury steak. My son hurried me along so I didn't buy anything, but I probably will next time. I don't know how you're making some of this stuff look appetizing ...but you are!
It was really good. The sauce, in particular, was a surprise. I would eat that sauce any day of the week!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Dunno. Bunch of ideas floating around and I've got sample menus laying around.

The big one I'm planning is the Disney Week, but that menu is going to take a little while to put together, so not for another week or two.

So, here's what I've floated around in my mind as potential ideas.

A Week of...No Heat
Make it a week without using the oven/stove/microwave. Menu would consist of salad recipes, cold sandwich recipes, basically anything that doesn't require heating.

A Week of...Veggies
Live off a vegetarian menu for a week.

A Week of...Cans
Every meal must come from a can (with a few accessories)

A Week of...Disney
This is gonna happen for sure. A week of Disney recipes

A Week of...Burgers
The idea we came up with last night.

A Week of...Less Than $25
Plan a menu that costs less than $25 (maybe $30, maybe $20. I'm going to need to scope out the market prices before planning out the menu)

A Week of...Dollar Menus
Live off Dollar Menu food (from various restaurants) for a week

A Week of...Movie Meals
Dishes from various tv shows / movies. (Bob's idea)

A Week of...Asian
Don't want to do this soon, because I just did it last week, which is actually what gave me the idea to start all this....but I wouldn't mind doing it again in the future.

A Week of...UnFrozen Foods
Do the same menu as the frozen menu, but make everything fresh.

A Week of...UnDollar Menus
Do the same menu as the Dollar Menu meals, but make everything fresh.

A Week of...Fresh Fast Food
Different than the Dollar Menu week, this would consist of remakes of popular fast food items, but made fresh

A Week of...Italian
Live a week on Italian foods.

A Week of...Mexican
Live a week on Mexican foods.

A Week of...College
A Ramen heavy menu. Made properly of course! The challenge of this week is coming up with unique ways to cook and serve Ramen that are actually...um...tasty. :p

That's all I got for now!

I'll let ya'll help me pick, and if you have any ideas, feel free to share them!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Dunno. Bunch of ideas floating around and I've got sample menus laying around.

The big one I'm planning is the Disney Week, but that menu is going to take a little while to put together, so not for another week or two.

So, here's what I've floated around in my mind as potential ideas.

A Week of...No Heat
Make it a week without using the oven/stove/microwave. Menu would consist of salad recipes, cold sandwich recipes, basically anything that doesn't require heating.

A Week of...Veggies
Live off a vegetarian menu for a week.

A Week of...Cans
Every meal must come from a can (with a few accessories)

A Week of...Disney
This is gonna happen for sure. A week of Disney recipes

A Week of...Burgers
The idea we came up with last night.

A Week of...Less Than $25
Plan a menu that costs less than $25 (maybe $30, maybe $20. I'm going to need to scope out the market prices before planning out the menu)

A Week of...Dollar Menus
Live off Dollar Menu food (from various restaurants) for a week

A Week of...Movie Meals
Dishes from various tv shows / movies. (Bob's idea)

A Week of...Asian
Don't want to do this soon, because I just did it last week, which is actually what gave me the idea to start all this....but I wouldn't mind doing it again in the future.

A Week of...UnFrozen Foods
Do the same menu as the frozen menu, but make everything fresh.

A Week of...UnDollar Menus
Do the same menu as the Dollar Menu meals, but make everything fresh.

A Week of...Fresh Fast Food
Different than the Dollar Menu week, this would consist of remakes of popular fast food items, but made fresh

A Week of...Italian
Live a week on Italian foods.

A Week of...Mexican
Live a week on Mexican foods.

A Week of...College
A Ramen heavy menu. Made properly of course! The challenge of this week is coming up with unique ways to cook and serve Ramen that are actually...um...tasty. :p

That's all I got for now!

I'll let ya'll help me pick, and if you have any ideas, feel free to share them!

O.k. I'll vote for A Week of . . . Fresh Fast Food. I think you'd be able to do a really good job with that one. You've shown us before what good cook you are; and I think you could create "clones" of the fast food examples you'll choose, but yours will be much more appetizing and better tasting. And, let's not forget the photo ops you always share of your culinary creations! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom