A Week Of...???

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
how has the portion size been. have you felt unsatisfied still hungry
Not bad. The lunches have been perfect, as was breakfast yesterday. The dinner last night left me feeling sated, but it wasn't very tasty.

Breakfast today (the sausage egg and cheese muffin) wasn't very filling at all. In fact, I wanted to eat lunch even earlier, and put it off as long as I could. Tonight I've got a rather large dinner planned (compared to the meals so far).

Well, by large, I mean the box is larger than the rest. We'll see what comes out of it tonight!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 2 - Meal 3 - Steak Fajitas

I am famished. I did spend most of the day detail cleaning the house, so it could be from that. But...I am completely ready for this meal! GET IN MAH BELLY!

I've been looking forward to this meal. Not only because I'm hungry, but because it looks very promising on the box! Actually, today, I really was hungry, not in an uncomfortable way, but I was certainly ready come meal times for food. But, that's fine. This box is the largest of all the boxes I've got, so it must be packed with goodness, and I really could use a nice sized meal right now.

So, full of anticipation for the meal, I tore into the box and this is what came out.

I put the coke can next to the package for size comparison. These tortillas must be 4 inches in diameter, at best!

are_you_kidding_me_rage_face_meme_stickers-rdecdc1bb1bdd447aa238b6140e6d6935_v9wth_8byvr_512.jpg

Well, on with it then. The directions call for you to remove the tortilla package, which should be easy, right? Wrong. They've decided to glue it to the film on the bottom package. And, this doesn't release very easily.

I don't have a picture of how hard I had to yank on the package to get it off, but it was pretty hard and took two hands. It ripped the plastic film.

But, that's ok, I guess. It does say to peel back some of the film in the corner to let it vent, so I guess I'll just consider this that step! After 2.5 minutes in the microwave, time to stir. Not too shabby looking!

Another minute on high and a minute to rest, and we have the finished product.

I microwaved the fajitas and, this was the result.

Going into the meal, I must admit, I am skeptical about the rice. This is due to the awful rice in yesterdays Orange Chicken. But, it has red beans, what appear to be green peppers, onions and corn, and it smells pretty good.

The meat, I'm also worried about. The steak looks tough, though the vegetables and sauce looks great!

And, I'm still rather upset at this point about the size of the tortillas...But, lets dig in.

Well, concerns and preparation mishaps aside, this was really good. I thought the tortilla was a bit tough, but the meat filling and rice worked very well together. The rice turned out to be not bad at all. The steak wasn't tough, though I feared that, and I enjoyed the meal!

It could have used a few splashes of tobasco or something, but it didn't require that to taste good. The seasoning is spot on, and I thoroughly enjoyed both fajitas (you can only make two with ALL the ingredients, even though they call the rice a "side"). And, they were tasty, even if they were rather...small.

I will say, you must eat them quickly, as they do get cold fast.

But, it was still an excellent little meal, and had it not been for the toughness and blandness of the tortillas, I would have given this an A+ ranking.

Well, on to dessert. This time I got a blueberry bar.

Not as good as the bar I had yesterday, but still quite tasty. I really like these, a lot! They will certainly will find a welcome spot in my freezer in the future.

Today's dishes didn't have the same sweet undertones that yesterday's dishes had. Rather, far more savory. A failure of a breakfast, lunch was tasty and I thoroughly enjoyed dinner (even though I did have my doubts).

But, that being said, I feel quite satisfied at this point.

Meal Metrics

Steak Fajitas, 12 oz Coke, 1 Blueberry Greek Fruit Bar

Total Cost - $3.79 ($8.32)

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values.
Daily totals in parenthesis

Calories - 540 (1370)
Fat - 17% (34%)
Sat Fat - 27% (49%)
Cholesterol - 9% (21%)
Sodium - 29% (80%)
Carb - 33% (84%)
Fiber - 22% (51%)
Protein - 34% (93%)
Vit A - 16% (106%)
Vit C - 24% (308%)
Calcium - 18% (129%)
Iron - 15% (77%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - A-
Daily Grade (purely subjective) - B-

Well, that's it for Day 2! I'll see you all in the morning with breakfast!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 1 - Breakfast Quesadilla

Woke up this morning very hungry. That's a good thing, right? So, on with the metrics.

My weight this morning was 210.3 lbs. My BMI (body fat) is 26.9%. My hydration is 54.5%. Hrm, I'm gaining fat? Some "diet" this is!

Well, off to the races. Breakfast!

Egg whites, cheese, vegetables and turkey bacon. Hrm...

This looks fairly similar to the Chicken Quesadilla I had on day one. Crisper sleeves. And what do you know...

The same "hashbrown" looking filling, too.

2 minutes produced this. Smells pretty good. Considering the Chicken Quesadilla turned out better than I expected, I am looking forward to this.

Breakfast is served!

The OJ is starting to taste better each day. Ugh...

The "vegetables" are pretty much non-existant, but they appear to be onions, red peppers and green peppers. The eggs and cheese are rather tasty though. The bacon is present. As in, you can tell it exists. That's about all I can say about it. :p

As with the Chicken Quesadilla, the tortilla crisped up well and is a nice compliment to the dish.

Overall, not bad. Not fantastic, but not bad at all. Not as good as the Chicken Quesadilla, but the filling had some nice flavor to it, and the textures were well varied. I'd eat this again if offered.

Meal Metrics

Breakfast Quesadilla, 8 oz Non-fat Milk, 8 oz Enriched OJ, 1 Centrum Mens, 1 Coffee (black)

Total Cost - $2.18

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values
Calories - 440
Fat - 12%
Sat Fat - 15%
Cholesterol - 7%
Sodium - 29%
Carb - 24%
Fiber - 26%
Protien - 44%
Vit A - 84%
Vit C - 254%
Calcium - 106%
Iron - 52%

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - B-

See you at lunch!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 2 - Mini Cheeseburger

Today was very busy at the office, and I didn't get to eat lunch until nearly 5p. Crazy. I was starving, too! To the point where I knew I had to have something...not just hungry, but I felt a bit light headed. I do not chalk that up to this diet (though if it happens again, I may have to stop...), but to the fact that due to the low calorie counts, I need to eat on a more regular schedule for something like this to work.

Anyhow, on with lunch!

A "flame broiled" beef patty and cheese on a mini bun.

And, when they say mini, they are not kidding. This thing is tiny! It's even smaller than a Krystal or a White Castle burger (think slider, if you don't know what those brands are).

45 seconds later and I have a small, warm package to unwrap.

Lunch is served!

Honestly, it was pretty good. I would have liked it to be larger, but I'd snack away on these things all day. The cheese had a great taste, and the burger had texture (something I didn't expect). The bun was very sweet, and reminded me of a Hawaiian roll.

Also, even though I don't think it has any ketchup or mustard on it, I swear I could taste a hint of it. (later, I checked the box and it does not, so maybe that's just mental conditioning?).

Another thing about the roll. Often with microwave sandwiches, you'll find that the bread is either soggy and mushy (especially on the bottom) or the bread gets tough. This did neither. Just fantastic.

I really wanted to eat two of these (there are two in the box), but since I'm trying to stick to the menu plan, I did not.

I would certainly get these again, and think they would make a great snack food. Not so much a meal though. The portion size is too small for the amount of calories they pack (190). However, these were very tasty and easily my favorite meal so far to date. Very nice!

Meal Metrics

Mini Cheeseburgers, 12 oz Coke Classic

Total Cost - $1.86 ($4.04)

Calories - 330 (770)
Fat - 13% (25%)
Sat Fat - 16% (31%)
Cholesterol - 5% (12%)
Sodium - 17% (46%)
Carb - 20% (44%)
Fiber - 14% (40%)
Protein - 18% (84%)
Vit A - 2% (76%)
Vit C - 0% (254%)
Calcium - 8% (114%)
Iron - 8% (60%)
Vit D - 0% (200%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - A+

Dinner is next!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 3 - Salisbury Steak

Well, after a day with lunch off schedule (something I won't do again tomorrow, that's for sure!), I am ready for a hearty dinner!

As a note, I am now completely confident that I was light headed because of low blood sugar/hunger, as I felt better within 10 minutes of eating my very, very late lunch. And, while the portion was small, it's interesting to note that I actually ate dinner late tonight as well, and didn't feel hungry.

Even so, I am ready for dinner.

This is a "freezer box" classic. I mean, one of the most iconic "TV Dinners" ever is this!

banquet-salisbury-steak-dinner1.jpg

And, who doesn't like mac and cheese? So, lets see what this has to offer! "Salisbury Steak in a savory onion gravy with creamy macaroni and cheese". Hrm...

4 minutes, 30 seconds later and it's time to stir. This is the longest cook time I've come across so far (not that 4 minutes 30 seconds is all that long!)

Not looking too bad. Smells pretty good! Another quick trip through the microwave and a short rest, and this is what we've produced.

Not to shabby! And dinner is served!

So, how was it?

Great! Really great! This is nice, a whole day where every meal was pretty darned tasty!

The steak has a good texture, and while it's a bit tougher than a fresh Salisbury steak would be, it didn't taste frozen. It's extremely well spiced.

The gravy, while gelatinous, is certainly "savory". It does a good job of "simulating" a fatty beef gravy sauce. The onions are a nice touch. Combined with the meat patty, this was really nice. The only thing that could have kicked it over the edge would have been some mushrooms (@Bob would disagree, but he's a picky eater).

Overall, quite a great little piece of meat, for the 1.99 I spent on it.

The mac and cheese was decent. Not as good as the boxed stuff with the packaged liquid cheese, but far better than the boxed stuff with the powdered cheese. It also had excellent seasoning, and I found that I devoured it quickly.

I mention seasoning a lot in these posts. I want to clarify, I mention this because I am going off the presentation from the package. I am not adding anything to these meals that is outside of their standard preparation instructions.

So, while some meals would have been much better with a touch of salt or some tobasco, feel that if I spiced them, I would not able to judge the quality of the meal properly. So, I've avoided all seasoning, and am commenting strictly on the product out of the box.

Time for dessert. Mango bar!

Again, not as good as the strawberry bar, but not bad at all. The mango was a nice taste, but I don't think the yogurt dip complimented it as well as the other flavors I've tried so far.

So, this is my least favorite of the 3 flavors I've had, but by no means was it bad!

I still really like these little frozen treats. In fact, I may be forming an addiction!

Overall, great dinner. And, a great day. Odd, since this is actually the cheapest day I've had so far!

Meal Metrics

Salisbury Steak with Mac and Cheese, 12 oz Coke, 1 Mango Greek Fruit Bar

Total Cost - $2.79 ($6.83)

Calories - 520 (1290)
Fat - 19% (44%)
Sat Fat - 33% (64%)
Cholesterol - 13% (25%)
Sodium - 40% (86%)
Carb - 29% (73%)
Fiber - 13% (53%)
Protein - 38% (100%)
Vit A - 1% (87%)
Vit C - 4% (258%)
Calcium - 13% (127%)
Iron - 15% (75%)

Daily Grade (purely subjective) - A

Well, that's it for Day 3! I'll see you all in the morning with breakfast!

Last edited:

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 3 - Salisbury Steak

Well, after a day with lunch off schedule (something I won't do again tomorrow, that's for sure!), I am ready for a hearty dinner!

As a note, I am now completely confident that I was light headed because of low blood sugar/hunger, as I felt better within 10 minutes of eating my very, very late lunch. And, while the portion was small, it's interesting to note that I actually ate dinner late tonight as well, and didn't feel hungry.

Even so, I am ready for dinner.

This is a "freezer box" classic. I mean, one of the most iconic "TV Dinners" ever is this!

swanson_tv_dinner.jpg

And, who doesn't like mac and cheese? So, lets see what this has to offer! "Salisbury Steak in a savory onion gravy with creamy macaroni and cheese". Hrm...

4 minutes, 30 seconds later and it's time to stir. This is the longest cook time I've come across so far (not that 4 minutes 30 seconds is all that long!)

Not looking too bad. Smells pretty good! Another quick trip through the microwave and a short rest, and this is what we've produced.

Not to shabby! And dinner is served!

So, how was it?

Great! Really great! This is nice, a whole day where every meal was pretty darned tasty!

The steak has a good texture, and while it's a bit thicker than a fresh salsbury steak would be, it didn't taste frozen. It's extremely well spiced.

The gravy, while gelatinous, is certainly "savory". It does a good job of "simulating" a fatty beef gravy sauce. The onions are a nice touch. Combined with the meat patty, this was really nice. The only thing that could have kicked it over the edge would have been some mushrooms (@Bob would disagree, but he's a picky eater).

Overall, quite a great little piece of meat, for the 1.99 I spent on it.

The mac and cheese was decent. Not as good as the boxed stuff with the packaged liquid cheese, but far better than the boxed stuff with the powdered cheese. It also had excellent seasoning, and I found that I devoured it quickly.

I mention seasoning a lot in these posts. I want to clarify, I mention this because I am going off the presentation from the package. I am not adding anything to these meals that is outside of their standard preparation instructions.

So, while some meals would have been much better with a touch of salt or some tobasco, I don't feel if I spiced them, I would be able to judge the quality of the meal properly. So, I've avoided all seasoning, and am commenting strictly on the product out of the box.

Time for dessert. Mango bar!

Again, not as good as the strawberry bar, but not bad at all. The mango was a nice taste, but I don't think the yogurt dip complimented it as well as the other flavors I've tried so far.

So, this is my least favorite of the 3 flavors I've had, but by no means was it bad!

I still really like these little frozen treats. In fact, I may be forming an addiction!

Overall, great dinner. And, a great day. Odd, since this is actually the cheapest day I've had so far!

Meal Metrics

Salisbury Steak with Mac and Cheese, 12 oz Coke, 1 Mango Greek Fruit Bar

Total Cost - $2.79 ($6.83)

Calories - 520 (1290)
Fat - 19% (44%)
Sat Fat - 33% (64%)
Cholesterol - 13% (25%)
Sodium - 40% (86%)
Carb - 29% (73%)
Fiber - 13% (53%)
Protein - 38% (100%)
Vit A - 1% (87%)
Vit C - 4% (258%)
Calcium - 13% (127%)
Iron - 15% (75%)

Daily Grade (purely subjective) - A

Well, that's it for Day 3! I'll see you all in the morning with breakfast!
Life is good whenever the food is minus the fungus! :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Week 1 - Day 3 - Meal 2 - Mini Cheeseburger

Today was very busy at the office, and I didn't get to eat lunch until nearly 5p. Crazy. I was starving, too! To the point where I knew I had to have something...not just hungry, but I felt a bit light headed. I do not chalk that up to this diet (though if it happens again, I may have to stop...), but to the fact that due to the low calorie counts, I need to eat on a more regular schedule for something like this to work.

Anyhow, on with lunch!

A "flame broiled" beef patty and cheese on a mini bun.

And, when they say mini, they are not kidding. This thing is tiny! It's even smaller than a Krystal or a White Castle burger (think slider, if you don't know what those brands are).

45 seconds later and I have a small, warm package to unwrap.

Lunch is served!

Honestly, it was pretty good. I would have liked it to be larger, but I'd snack away on these things all day. The cheese had a great taste, and the burger had texture (something I didn't expect). The bun was very sweet, and reminded me of a Hawaiian roll.

Also, even though I don't think it has any ketchup or mustard on it, I swear I could taste a hint of it. (later, I checked the box and it does not, so maybe that's just mental conditioning?).

Another thing about the roll. Often with microwave sandwiches, you'll find that the bread is either soggy and mushy (especially on the bottom) or the bread gets tough. This did neither. Just fantastic.

I really wanted to eat two of these (there are two in the box), but since I'm trying to stick to the menu plan, I did not.

I would certainly get these again, and think they would make a great snack food. Not so much a meal though. The portion size is too small for the amount of calories they pack (190). However, these were very tasty and easily my favorite meal so far to date. Very nice!

Meal Metrics

Mini Cheeseburgers, 12 oz Coke Classic

Total Cost - $1.86 ($4.04)

Calories - 330 (770)
Fat - 13% (25%)
Sat Fat - 16% (31%)
Cholesterol - 5% (12%)
Sodium - 17% (46%)
Carb - 20% (44%)
Fiber - 14% (40%)
Protein - 18% (84%)
Vit A - 2% (76%)
Vit C - 0% (254%)
Calcium - 8% (114%)
Iron - 8% (60%)
Vit D - 0% (200%)

Dinner is next!
Sorry Pal, THIS is a burger.
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom