A Tale of Booze in Batuu

Rogue1138

You are absolutely correct! Why aren't there any aliens in the cantina?

I'm very excited, as my kids are, to get out to SW:GE one day but the more we watch or I read on the area, it seems like there's a little bit of magic missing. I was expecting more like the Scare Zones at Halloween Horror Nights where you'd walk around and it would be a more living, breathing experience.

The Grand Inquisitor

I'm very excited, as my kids are, to get out to SW:GE one day but the more we watch or I read on the area, it seems like there's a little bit of magic missing. I was expecting more like the Scare Zones at Halloween Horror Nights where you'd walk around and it would be a more living, breathing experience.
Yeah. I went to it a couple of weeks back. I was so hyped but I was pretty disappointed. The land just feels kinda empty. I definitely think Disney can improve the land though. I still think Disney should have built a 5th park dedicated to Star Wars which would include planets from the original trilogy, the prequels, and sequels.

Monorail_Orange

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and nothing has me really excited about Oga's. When I see the cantina in A New Hope my first reaction isn't drinking overpriced alcoholic drinks. I want to drink among the scum and villainy.

I will definitely try blue and green milk when I finally get out there but my first thought when I saw the recipe is that someone has a vegan friend they're trying to impress. I don't mind it not being really made of milk (as I don't believe down the road I have a beverage combining butter and beer) but did they really need to take a hard right into ingredients most people would gag at if read out of context.
When you try it, your reaction sounds like it will match what mine was...it's edible. And that's it. And after about half a cup though, you won't want any more and feel pretty cheated that you paid $8 a piece. Fool me once shame on you...

doctornick

It’s just stupid. It’s a made up drink. All that was necessary was dye. Make one taste like an Oreo milkshake and the other like a cinnamon roll.

This. There's a lot of things that are disappointing about SW:GE but most of them I can at least see why they happened. But the reception for blue/green mild is so perplexing to me. There is always going to be some people who don't like a food/drink, but it should have been remarkably easy to develop someone that was positively received by 80% or more people. I don't understand their preparing and testing process to have gotten it this wrong.

RoysCabin

On the chance it's true that they were looking for the blue milk to be their version of butter beer, it kind of goes to show what they've missed about Star Wars vis a vis Potter. For Potter fans, a cup of butter beer probably feels almost like a rite of passage; there's no real significance to the blue milk in Star Wars, it was a one-off visual oddity on screen for a few seconds.

KevinPage

Was gonna mix the blue and green but then reallized I’d be spending $16 on a slushy drink.

😜😜😜

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate F

Regardless of the price, I don’t see myself wanting to try either flavor. Based on what they look like and what they’re made of, I think I’ll pass.

Notes from Neverland

We stopped in and grabbed two drinks at Oga's. Amazing atmosphere. The Fuzzy Tauntaun was the real star with the unique element of turning your mouth slightly numb. The Yub Nub (the drink - no special cup here) wasn't bad. Overall, it was a fun experience. Drinks are outrageously priced (as has been noted), but it was an experience we'd repeat.

Regarding blue and green milk ... we preferred blue but wouldn't mind seeing both reworked.

TraderSam

Revamping the menu seems less necessary than creating a better, more immersive experience (ie. More droids not being served, alien patrons, some bar and/or blaster sound effects, etc).

This was exactly my thought. The experience is why we go to Trader Sam’s. Take away the skippers and the fun immersive environment, and we probably wouldn’t go there at all.

I fully expected to hear fun stories from Oga’s immersive environment and a similar Max Rebo style band and servers making the experience special. All I’ve heard about so far are basic theming décor and mugs. It would definitely be a one and done for us.

Go back to the WDI fundamentals of storytelling and consistent theming and you’d have a great response.

mrp4352

In our case, we cancelled when found out it was a true bar (not a restaurant, despite the reservation being called "lunch" on MDE) and decided that we didn't want to take my nieces there. While we're not upset that they've added a bar (and are looking forward to enjoying on our adult only trip in Feb), we don't want to take my underage nieces to a bar, no matter how well themed to SW it is...

More likely, guests who booked "in case I feel like it" reservations during the initial panicked rush have decided that they do not feel like it and are cancelling ahead of their imminent trips. Maybe because they've heard it sucks, maybe they never really planned to go but booked out of fear of missing out, maybe their timeslot just doesn't work with their plans anymore.

Silveroak

Prepare to see a retooling of Oga's Cantina menu items by Spring of 2020. Disney E&P has done extensive data analysis of both the Anaheim and Orlando consumer responses, and there is serious room for improvement.

First, the data shows that Oga's at DLR consumer engagement is actually not being driven by the desired factors (Star Wars fan experience, guest new experience, etc)... and rather, the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR. Unfortunately, with this becoming the major factor in guest participation, the extreme costs of the menu items is leading to poor word-of-mouth and poor guest reception to the experience. So while revenues are excellent in DLR for Oga's, this isn't currently seen as leading to net positive long term outcomes due to the disconnect in the targeted versus real demographics. Meanwhile, in DHS, Oga's is underperforming already to a significant degree. At this point, TDO management believes the lack of guest interest for Oga's rests on the fact that there are many alcohol options throughout Walt Disney World, and even at Hollywood Studios. With these alternative options, guest spending at Oga's in DHS is far, far lower than at DL (as much as 35% lower in the past week). And with the number of hardcore Star Wars fans willing to drop exorbitant amounts of money on novelty drinks not materializing, E&P is now working on developing a second, lower-priced set of offerings to keep traffic high throughout next year. There is also a strong push to get another adult beverage option open in DL, but that's a contentious position and Chapek would likely have to make the call. There is clearly money to be had if the change is made (not that I'm in support).

You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk, but that's a separate topic. Disney wanted their own version of butter beer, but the consumer research has shown both products are receiving nightmarish receptions. Whereas a Dole Whip or a Lefou's Brew have drastically positive-to-negative reviews, both blue and green milk are actually net negative in guest experience. That's something you never, ever, ever want to see when launching a new beverage / snack / entree. You would typically want at least 4-1 positive to negative, so to actually go negative is horrendous.

I for 1 loved Oga’s and had zero alcohol. We enjoyed the music and feeling like we were “in the movie”. The couple with us loved it as well. I’m not sure why people glamorize alcohol. Go home and get a beer, it’s a theme park. Wear the “drunkerbell” T-shirt at home. I’m here for the fun of Disney not to get drunk. We had 10 fun drinks between the 5 of us and they were all great and the containers they serve from are super fun!

Fishhawk Shane

When you try it, your reaction sounds like it will match what mine was...it's edible. And that's it. And after about half a cup though, you won't want any more and feel pretty cheated that you paid $8 a piece. Fool me once shame on you...

The cantina experience is truly the first time I felt ripped off by Disney. I can see a value in most other costs... Cleanliness, detail, etc... I really felt disappointed about the entire experience and the cost for 2 mixed drinks, 2 beers, 1 non-alcoholic drink and meat plate was as much as I pay for a full dinner in a lot of sit-down restaurants in the other parks. Will not go back and advising other AYP to avoid. You got me this time Disney, but you also changed how I look at you.

ToTBellHop

In our case, we cancelled when found out it was a true bar (not a restaurant, despite the reservation being called "lunch" on MDE) and decided that we didn't want to take my nieces there. While we're not upset that they've added a bar (and are looking forward to enjoying on our adult only trip in Feb), we don't want to take my underage nieces to a bar, no matter how well themed to SW it is...
Don’t take your nieces to World Showcase.

This place is kid-friendly and has a ton of non-alcoholic drinks. Try breakfast when there is food. No one is getting sloshed in 45 minutes.

Texas84

Glad I went during the previews but Oga's isn't something I need to do again. But if I go with someone who hasn't been there yet, I'll go again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom