A Tale of Booze in Batuu

RobWDW1971

As with the OPs post, I get the appeal at DL. Very few options for alcohol like in MK. And the opposite at DHS. Plenty of places to get alcohol in DHS, including Baseline right outside GE.

Totally agree - and it appears the uniqueness is already starting to die down, just checked at 2:00 and you can still get reservations for all night tonight at DL

TrojanUSC

Similar experiences as late as last week when I went back to give it another try to cut them some slack after the opening chaos. Terrible on all fronts - service, cleanliness, etc.

Also, can we PLEASE have more cocktail options that are not filled with sugar?

Also, I have absolutely zero problem with alcohol in the other sit down restaurants at DL. When I go to Magic Kingdom or all the parks around the world, I never give it a second thought and I enjoy the experience.

This is just an odd "Walt didn't want it" leftover that seems out of touch to the real world since it is no longer theoretical as it is being served in the other castle parks and across the esplanade for 18 years.

Once this silly restriction is lifted and I'm enjoying my glass of wine at the Blue Bayou, it will be hard to imagine there was a time without.

I get your argument but it was Walt's park, he lived there, his apartment is still there to this day and it was one of his few "rules" that he personally handed down. There was something charming about continuing to honor his personal wish from a company that continues to honor him, the man, in so few ways.

James J

In the Parks
No
I don't know what it is like on the ground at DHS, but it is impossible to get an Oga's reservation right now well into October. So there is demand, and people have no problem paying crazy prices for liquor at WDW, the menu is just weak. I'm surprised they aren't making adjustments before Christmas.

A whole bunch of new reservations were released yesterday. We wanted to change our 10am slot on 27th October to a more reasonable midday slot and there was multiple options.

Janir

Revamping the menu seems less necessary than creating a better, more immersive experience (ie. More droids not being served, alien patrons, some bar and/or blaster sound effects, etc). By the way, my wife and I had a great time @ Oga's (DHS).
True but it's also easy for them to do, and has a direct $$ effect on the bottom line.

RobWDW1971

I get your argument but it was Walt's park, he lived there, his apartment is still there to this day and it was one of his few "rules" that he personally handed down. There was something charming about continuing to honor his personal wish from a company that continues to honor him, the man, in so few ways.

Oh I get the reason and it is charming, but it's beyond dated. He also liked to smoke and had a tobacco shop on Main St. You can't pick and choose what things you evolve his thinking on - are we saying that if Walt was alive today there'd still be a tobacco shop and smoking everywhere in the park? Of course not.

If it was a rule around the world, I would at least get it, but to have every park around the world except one and then have booze pouring out of every inch of DCA, DTD, and the hotels surrounding it, just seems pointless. But that's just me.

Doesn't really matter what we think, Oga's broke the "rule" so liquor will be in all sit down restaurants in a year or two, it's just a matter of time now.

Last edited:

tirian

I suspect that demand at DHS will only stay high until everybody's "done it once," since all most guests are really paying for is to see the inside.

I'm a total Star Wars nerd, but our experience at Oga's (granted, it was at DL, not Orlando) was so abysmal (disappearing server, filthy table, 30+ minute wait for 4 drinks, 3 of which were missing major components and garnishes), I wouldn't go back for anything. I even took the rare step of writing an e-mail to Disney afterward to relate our experience (which, once I'd taken a look at online reviews, I realized was not that anomalous: many others described similar treatment). I got a boilerplate response back to the effect of, "we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations but whatevs." I got the strong sense that don't really give a rat's patoot about the quality of the CMs or the menu offerings at Oga's, and aren't really expecting anyone to come back a second time.
I haven’t been in Florida’s version of SWGE, and I had a decent visit in Cali. However, my friends have told me similar stories of terrible service and long waits for simple drinks. I’m inclined to blame it on a venue that’s too small and poor staffing.

Last edited:

Stripes

Prepare to see a retooling of Oga's Cantina menu items by Spring of 2020. Disney E&P has done extensive data analysis of both the Anaheim and Orlando consumer responses, and there is serious room for improvement.

First, the data shows that Oga's at DLR consumer engagement is actually not being driven by the desired factors (Star Wars fan experience, guest new experience, etc)... and rather, the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR. Unfortunately, with this becoming the major factor in guest participation, the extreme costs of the menu items is leading to poor word-of-mouth and poor guest reception to the experience. So while revenues are excellent in DLR for Oga's, this isn't currently seen as leading to net positive long term outcomes due to the disconnect in the targeted versus real demographics. Meanwhile, in DHS, Oga's is underperforming already to a significant degree. At this point, TDO management believes the lack of guest interest for Oga's rests on the fact that there are many alcohol options throughout Walt Disney World, and even at Hollywood Studios. With these alternative options, guest spending at Oga's in DHS is far, far lower than at DL (as much as 35% lower in the past week). And with the number of hardcore Star Wars fans willing to drop exorbitant amounts of money on novelty drinks not materializing, E&P is now working on developing a second, lower-priced set of offerings to keep traffic high throughout next year. There is also a strong push to get another adult beverage option open in DL, but that's a contentious position and Chapek would likely have to make the call. There is clearly money to be had if the change is made (not that I'm in support).

You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk, but that's a separate topic. Disney wanted their own version of butter beer, but the consumer research has shown both products are receiving nightmarish receptions. Whereas a Dole Whip or a Lefou's Brew have drastically positive-to-negative reviews, both blue and green milk are actually net negative in guest experience. That's something you never, ever, ever want to see when launching a new beverage / snack / entree. You would typically want at least 4-1 positive to negative, so to actually go negative is horrendous.
Has the “experience” in Oga’s received positive feedback in DHS?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Has the “experience” in Oga’s received positive feedback in DHS?

I'm not sure. I know they've tracked a lot of data using Magic Bands, and I know they've done some surveys in DLR as far as guest experience... but I don't know if they've done any large number guest surveys for DHS, and if that data has been put into a report yet.

ToTBellHop

Prepare to see a retooling of Oga's Cantina menu items by Spring of 2020. Disney E&P has done extensive data analysis of both the Anaheim and Orlando consumer responses, and there is serious room for improvement.

First, the data shows that Oga's at DLR consumer engagement is actually not being driven by the desired factors (Star Wars fan experience, guest new experience, etc)... and rather, the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR. Unfortunately, with this becoming the major factor in guest participation, the extreme costs of the menu items is leading to poor word-of-mouth and poor guest reception to the experience. So while revenues are excellent in DLR for Oga's, this isn't currently seen as leading to net positive long term outcomes due to the disconnect in the targeted versus real demographics. Meanwhile, in DHS, Oga's is underperforming already to a significant degree. At this point, TDO management believes the lack of guest interest for Oga's rests on the fact that there are many alcohol options throughout Walt Disney World, and even at Hollywood Studios. With these alternative options, guest spending at Oga's in DHS is far, far lower than at DL (as much as 35% lower in the past week). And with the number of hardcore Star Wars fans willing to drop exorbitant amounts of money on novelty drinks not materializing, E&P is now working on developing a second, lower-priced set of offerings to keep traffic high throughout next year. There is also a strong push to get another adult beverage option open in DL, but that's a contentious position and Chapek would likely have to make the call. There is clearly money to be had if the change is made (not that I'm in support).

You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk, but that's a separate topic. Disney wanted their own version of butter beer, but the consumer research has shown both products are receiving nightmarish receptions. Whereas a Dole Whip or a Lefou's Brew have drastically positive-to-negative reviews, both blue and green milk are actually net negative in guest experience. That's something you never, ever, ever want to see when launching a new beverage / snack / entree. You would typically want at least 4-1 positive to negative, so to actually go negative is horrendous.
Did the Imagineers even drink the blue milk and green milk before opening the land?

Oga's should be a restaurant in Florida.

RSoxNo1

They're putting out a lot more reservations for Oga's right now in DHS. Perhaps this was by design, but 2 weeks out there is now a bunch of availability.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Did the Imagineers even drink the blue milk and green milk before opening the land?

Oga's should be a restaurant in Florida.

Now that's an interesting story, but I need to make sure when I tell it that I'm not blowing the cover on who told who. The Cliff Notes version is that they knew it might not be a hit, but the compartmentalization of SWGE development meant the beverages hadn't been widely experienced by key persons. I don't remember which outlet it was, but I have a friend who was present during media day at DLR and witnessed a media personality describe the beverage as "slimy". That really was when they started sweating.

Ravenclaw78

They're putting out a lot more reservations for Oga's right now in DHS. Perhaps this was by design, but 2 weeks out there is now a bunch of availability.

More likely, guests who booked "in case I feel like it" reservations during the initial panicked rush have decided that they do not feel like it and are cancelling ahead of their imminent trips. Maybe because they've heard it sucks, maybe they never really planned to go but booked out of fear of missing out, maybe their timeslot just doesn't work with their plans anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom