A surprising omission?

LeafsFanNL

Original Poster
Hi Folks,

When all of the plans for Disney Springs were released, I was expecting to see an Apple Store. I thought it was an obvious choice. I mean, they always generate traffic, they are "hip", Apple is a large shareholder in Disney IIRC. It made a lot of sense to me. Yet it didn't happen. Thoughts?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not surprising at all. While they've had a wonderful relationship and some fun innovative products like the Ghost Post, but their market penetration across all sectors is decreasing. Their only bright spot would be the China mobile market. The only thing Apple has going for it is uniformity of product hardware so you can develop and deploy things once for current hardware (bye bye iPhone4!)

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't believe Apple is a major shareholder of Disney, what you're likely thinking of is the family of the late Steve Jobs as a result of Disney's acquisition of Pixar who I believe are still the single largest Disney shareholder. As for putting a store there, it's not all that bad an idea. I have a friend who works at one of the local Apple stores here in Orlando who has stated multiple times that close to 50% of the business in that store is from international tourists wanting to buy here because the phones and laptops are so much cheaper than back home. That would be the primary reason it might make sense for Apple but they would have to determine if it would add additional revenue for them, vs just cannibalizing the other stores in the Orlando area.

JohnWD

Contrary to popular belief, apple's wow factor is heading in the wrong direction these days

Not sure why they didn't want a store there, but you could ask that same question for many other stores as well

Not surprising at all. While they've had a wonderful relationship and some fun innovative products like the Ghost Post, but their market penetration across all sectors is decreasing. Their only bright spot would be the China mobile market. The only thing Apple has going for it is uniformity of product hardware so you can develop and deploy things once for current hardware (bye bye iPhone4!)

Apple is doomed! :)

G00fyDad

IMO, I disagree.

As a local it would be nice to stop in for service on a machine and be able to stay for lunch or hit up a park for a few hours. Beside the Brazilians would keep the store crazy profitable.

IMO, that is your right to feel that way. I hate everything Apple so again, I hope it does not come in. ;)

donsullivan

Premium Member
IMO, that is your right to feel that way. I hate everything Apple so again, I hope it does not come in. ;)

I will never understand why some have such vitriol against Apple and in some cases (you did not do it here) feel the need to denigrate those who choose Apple products. If you don't like their products that's fine, you're not forced to buy them. But to feel the need to say you "hate everything Apple" seems pretty seriously over the top.

G00fyDad

I will never understand why some have such vitriol against Apple and in some cases (you did not do it here) feel the need to denigrate those who choose Apple products. If you don't like their products that's fine, you're not forced to buy them. But to feel the need to say you "hate everything Apple" seems pretty seriously over the top.

Work in IT at an Internet Service Provider and then tell me you will not hate Apple. I never really cared for it until I had to answer helpdesk emails/calls about their computers not connecting to the internet, not working, etc. I am not saying Apple users are dumb. What I am saying is that Apple promotes devices that are so user friendly that the user has absolutely no clue how to troublshoot the simplest of problems. At least 75% of the emails and calls I got were from Apple users and the problem was a VERY minor one. BUT, even THAT did not truly push me over the edge. What did that was going into an Apple store and being approached by one of the "Apple Geniuses" (That title still irks me) and getting brow beaten because I did not already own an Apple product. When I told the "Apple Moron" that I was looking for a laptop for my daughter in college he actually told me to go get her and let him talk to her because I did not know what to look for. :mad: I have been to other Apple stores and while not all staff are like that there is an air of condescension among them if you are not a Mac person. And no, it is not just me imagining this. Others I have spoken to say the same thing. All of this on top of the fact that the majority of Apple users cannot go a day without dropping a ton of cash on a new iPhone when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the one they had. My Galaxy Note 4 still outperforms all of my friends iPhones. Even the new ones.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Work in IT at an Internet Service Provider and then tell me you will not hate Apple. I never really cared for it until I had to answer helpdesk emails/calls about their computers not connecting to the internet, not working, etc. I am not saying Apple users are dumb. What I am saying is that Apple promotes devices that are so user friendly that the user has absolutely no clue how to troublshoot the simplest of problems. At least 75% of the emails and calls I got were from Apple users and the problem was a VERY minor one. BUT, even THAT did not truly push me over the edge. What did that was going into an Apple store and being approached by one of the "Apple Geniuses" (That title still irks me) and getting brow beaten because I did not already own an Apple product. When I told the "Apple Moron" that I was looking for a laptop for my daughter in college he actually told me to go get her and let him talk to her because I did not know what to look for. :mad: I have been to other Apple stores and while not all staff are like that there is an air of condescension among them if you are not a Mac person. And no, it is not just me imagining this. Others I have spoken to say the same thing. All of this on top of the fact that the majority of Apple users cannot go a day without dropping a ton of cash on a new iPhone when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the one they had. My Galaxy Note 4 still outperforms all of my friends iPhones. Even the new ones.

You've just proven my point.

G00fyDad

I can't imagine anything that would prevent them both being there. At least one of the Orlando Apple stores is just 2 doors away from a Microsoft Store. It's good for us to have choices.

I agree. Although I would prefer to not have the Apple store there that is all about my feelings and I know that that rates a zero on people's Give-a-Crapometer. :) However, I see the draw it would have and ultimately I don't have to go near it. :D But, I would most definitely like to see a Microsoft store there.

n2hifi

You've just proven my point.
I think some of this comes from the industry. I do a lot of system integration that involves IT. I use many devices including Macs, PC's, Chromeboxes. Linux boxes and various portable devices. I spec and install Apple devices regularly when the task calls for it. All OS's have their quirks, but we have significantly more issues with Apple devices connecting to networks and video systems. I think the distain comes from the fact that every time their is an issue, the 'apple' customer will go off on a rant how it is our system and not their device because their device works perfectly on their all Apple system. Those encounters generally make me an 'apple' hater for a day or two. I have a conspiracy theory that Apple tweaks their WI-FI radios to be a hair off standard so they work marginally on everyone else's system but work stellar on their own AP's. That's complete editorial, but our convention center customers only seem to have trouble with Apple radios. I can't really explain it.

lifeguard1020

I just don't understand that because "you" don't like Apple means that there can not be an Apple store. I don't get how the two are related...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Uggg. I tried to not come off as anti-Apple, but re-reading my post, it sounds that way. They make good products that serve many purposes. I think it's the Apple fanboys that are convinced they can do no wrong that create the bad taste.
I would agree with that. I don't have any Apple products as I simply do not care for them. They tend to be well made and well designed products that are, IMHO, overpriced compared to their counterparts with no added benefit for me.

On the other hand, "Apple Fanboy" and their attitude makes we me feel a bit warm inside every time I hear about a bug in an Apple product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom