A Spirited Valentine ...

lazyboy97o

So is Apple not coming at all? ... I was told it still was (on the plot near the restroom across from PH) planned.

I see your point on NBA, but until very recently quite a bit was still not done, including two centerpiece dining locations. And the Edison and Walt's are supposed to be part of the opening lineup ...and they are opening when now? (Seriously, I have no idea.)
Apple was supposed to be in the Town Center.

The Edison's problems stem from the tenant. Just like STK stalled out for awhile and Planet Hollywood was delayed. Tenants design their own spaces, hiring their own architects, engineers and interior designers with Disney approving the design.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How many blogger/podcaster/lifestylers that make a living from that and go to both coasts are there? 2 or 3?

In general, Lifestylers are being courted by tons of companies now and hold unprecedented sway to customers ...apparently a middle class living can be eked out of moderately successful Lifestylers...I won't shed a tear when the next market correction wipes them out.

I have no idea who is making a living at this in the O-Town theme park market. I do know that Ricky Brigante's divorce papers were eye-opening as to how loaded he is (pre-divorce worth between $4-5 million DECLARED) and yet still takes freebies left and right and still won't say one negative word about Disney except when he can't get to meet (hit on?) a Princess at the MK.

I know of one lifestyler who used to talk about having to live in their car (that was drama queen crap, but still ...) and seems to have no problem spending all of the above and then some.

There are far more people in that community who do the bi-coastal deal than you'd think. In recent years, many have also added DLP APs and RunDisney events to their 'coverage' ... that all has a cost. Disney isn't paying for anyone in O-Town to fly or stay at DLP for instance. And there is no 'BRAND Advocate' rate on RunDisney events.

But if you're getting for example $30,000-80,000 a year from family and/or the government, then whatever you make as a lifestyler is largely play money. If you only pull in $13,666 a year, then that just goes back in your 'business.'

NearTheEars

I have no idea who is making a living at this in the O-Town theme park market. I do know that Ricky Brigante's divorce papers were eye-opening as to how loaded he is (pre-divorce worth between $4-5 million DECLARED) and yet still takes freebies left and right and still won't say one negative word about Disney except when he can't get to meet (hit on?) a Princess at the MK.

I know of one lifestyler who used to talk about having to live in their car (that was drama queen crap, but still ...) and seems to have no problem spending all of the above and then some.

There are far more people in that community who do the bi-coastal deal than you'd think. In recent years, many have also added DLP APs and RunDisney events to their 'coverage' ... that all has a cost. Disney isn't paying for anyone in O-Town to fly or stay at DLP for instance. And there is no 'BRAND Advocate' rate on RunDisney events.

But if you're getting for example $30,000-80,000 a year from family and/or the government, then whatever you make as a lifestyler is largely play money. If you only pull in $13,666 a year, then that just goes back in your 'business.'

I'm assuming that's family money for Ricky? If not, I need to start a blog.

the.dreamfinder

Yeah, I sorta get the idea that the official company word is they are done, yet they are still working on major projects like those above and ones that have hit contract snags (Apple anyone?) ... I'd also argue that closing DisneyQuest for NBA Experience is a large piece of that puzzle. ... There's also the question of that off-ramp from I-4 directly into the Orange Garage.

By the time everything opens that has been planned, they're going to be filling holes of the tenants that have pulled out.
And now there's going to be a new Cirque show which sounds like it has been under consideration since Disney Springs has been under construction.

Princess Leia

Looks like we'll have to rely on looking forward to the Defenders: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/iron-fist-review-netflix-marvel/.
"...we got a show that’s so lifeless that I have no interest in finishing out the season; if there are important story points that wind up carrying over into The Defenders, I’ll have to figure it out as I go, because life’s too short.

If Iron Fist was an otherwise boring series with a hero who kicked butt in exciting ways early and often, I’d forgive the bland expository parts in the same way I do for a lot of action shows and movies. And if Finn Jones couldn’t fight but was otherwise a riveting screen presence blessed with sparkling dialogue and a compelling character arc, I’d get past the alleged living weapon’s lame physical prowess. But when neither part works at all, why would anyone but the most devout, masochistic Marvel completist want to watch?"
Well, here's to hoping that Punisher is loads better (I think it comes out in July).

peter11435

Yeah, I sorta get the idea that the official company word is they are done, yet they are still working on major projects like those above and ones that have hit contract snags (Apple anyone?) ... I'd also argue that closing DisneyQuest for NBA Experience is a large piece of that puzzle. ... There's also the question of that off-ramp from I-4 directly into the Orange Garage.

By the time everything opens that has been planned, they're going to be filling holes of the tenants that have pulled out.
What about the off-ramp from I-4 into the orange garage?

PhotoDave219

Am I missing something? Or is this place dead again (or simply talking about parades that are not coming to WDW or crazyarse gondolas that are)?

Today is the annual meeting of TWDC and usually we have people doing play by play and there is nothing here (not that much of substance comes from the meetings under Iger, but they are always good for a few guffaws and a belly laugh or three!)

Anyway, sorry y'all are bored with Disney now (or you are sorta like I am and just don't have the energy to care).

Here's a link to the LAT coverage:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...meeting-starts-with-1488993157-htmlstory.html

Honestly? Disney doesnt interest me as much now that I'm up north again.... Guess you could say that I'm bored with it. Its not a value anymore.

TeriofTerror

Homecoming is so damn overrated. It is good, but not special. And very overpriced. Come to SoBe and we can go to Yard Bird for the best chicken you'll have. As to the people you are talking about, I have heard stories about some. People who have moved closer to WDW so they can eat at the resort regularly. People who think it's a badge of honor to eat at Tiffins or Skipper Canteen or Paddlefish, six times in the first month. I don't get it at all. There are so many great restaurants in Central Florida, it isn't 1983.

It makes me feel a bit dirty myself. Because I certainly go more than the average person. But as someone who has never seen the MSEP go down Anaheim's Main Street, I don't ever need that experience for my life to be complete. The mental illness with most of these people is very strong.

BTW, what happened to Mongello? I get the feeling he isn't the celebrity he was 5-6 years ago ...
I think the bloom is off the rose for a lot of the Disney podcasters. Maybe I'm confusing commonality with causality, but I think the community as a whole started to fade/drift apart when the original WDW Today group retired. Their annual events seemed to rally much of that community, and serve as a common base, if not a glue.
The group at DISUnplugged still seem to be maintaining their level of popularity, but they always seemed to be a bit apart from the rest of community, anyway.
I know there's not a lot of love around these parts for Jim Hill, but I really enjoy Disney Dish, and I'll listen to just about anything upon which he and/or @lentesta make a guest appearance.
Tom C's show is the complete unmistakable garbage it's always been, and I don't think Ricky podcasts at all now.
Lou? He seems like a nice enough guy, but all of that saccharin sweetness can get to be too much. Whenever he posts a review of anything, I roll my eyes and think, "Don't tell me; let me guess. It was all the best stuff ever, and you loved everything." Not the most helpful of reviews, IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Might have to take you up on that next time I get to that end of the state. The problem with Miami is there are too many good places for dining. An embarrassment of riches, like.

In my younger days (eek - time flies), I saw the MSEP at DL -- before Light Magic, before the MSEP "retired" for good, before the MSEP's "retired" light bulbs were sold for charity fundraising. (And you know I've got one of those bulbs stashed away somewhere. Just waiting for the day when I dump all my parks junk on ebay.)

Yeah, it certainly seems like obsession that teeters over for some folks. I barely have time much less the inclination to follow this site as closely as I once did. Of course, having said that, I'm headed down to Orlando next week for a few days in the parks. Still, I won't be eating all my meals on property when I go!

For that matter, a lot of familiar names from LP and this site have disappeared in the last few years. I think Disney's lost its pull for a lot of us who used to be more invested in the brand. That's a good sign for the company's future, right?!

Nope - just wait till the next downturn and who is gonna save WDW's bacon then, The AP'ers and DVC people who Disney considers 'Bad Business' and who Disney works overtime to discourage them from visiting.

Disney finds DVC people useful for two things, Creating loads of cash to build new resorts and those sweet member fees which fund the resort operations. But they REALLY don't want DVC members staying there they want breakage so the rooms can be sold to CASH guests. or even better forcing DVC members to 'convert' to cash in order to stay at a Disney resort.

MotherOfBirds

Perhaps what is turning me off Disney the most is the bloggers and lifestylers. There is a cultish quality to it, like the way they tell horror stories from their time as CMs but then immediately insist that is was the best years of their lives. The nervous, over-enthusiastic way they praise every new parking lot and price hike makes me wonder if The Dear Leader is employing shock collars. I can accept Rohde nodding and smiling obediently because his job is on the line, but everyone else is just unsettling.

brb1006

I think the bloom is off the rose for a lot of the Disney podcasters. Maybe I'm confusing commonality with causality, but I think the community as a whole started to fade/drift apart when the original WDW Today group retired. Their annual events seemed to rally much of that community, and serve as a common base, if not a glue.
The group at DISUnplugged still seem to be maintaining their level of popularity, but they always seemed to be a bit apart from the rest of community, anyway.
I know there's not a lot of love around these parts for Jim Hill, but I really enjoy Disney Dish, and I'll listen to just about anything upon which he and/or @lentesta make a guest appearance.
Tom C's show is the complete unmistakable garbage it's always been, and I don't think Ricky podcasts at all now.
Lou? He seems like a nice enough guy, but all of that saccharin sweetness can get to be too much. Whenever he posts a review of anything, I roll my eyes and think, "Don't tell me; let me guess. It was all the best stuff ever, and you loved everything." Not the most helpful of reviews, IMO.
I really loved Retro WDW since it focuses on Walt Disney World that is hosted by Disney visitors that remember WDW of the 70's and 80's. It's a fascinating podcast to lesson to if you want to know more about WDW during it's younger years.

jakeman

Perhaps what is turning me off Disney the most is the bloggers and lifestylers. There is a cultish quality to it, like the way they tell horror stories from their time as CMs but then immediately insist that is was the best years of their lives. The nervous, over-enthusiastic way they praise every new parking lot and price hike makes me wonder if The Dear Leader is employing shock collars. I can accept Rohde nodding and smiling obediently because his job is on the line, but everyone else is just unsettling.
If only there was a way to not follow them...

bcoachable

interested to know if anyone has a favorite podcaster or blogger that they will admit to on here...
when i mow the yard, i throw a few different podcasts on to enjoy... im tired of the ones i listen to

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom