A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

BlueSkyDriveBy

Arnie levels of kindergarten teacher? or normal every day teacher?
Not Arnie levels heavens no. This guy is evil like all HTTYD villains. But unlike the others, he's smart. Very smart. Maybe even smarter than Hiccup. And that's a new fun twist reinvigorating the franchise.

Original content being delivered beyond cable broadcast channels is getting really good. I will always have a fondness for HBO shows. But the newer studios (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle) are really starting to deliver.

Nubs70

I actually just saw multiple people defending WDW toilet paper quality because better TP would clog the pipes. How exactly does one get that brainwashed?
Alright, now your playing in my neighborhood as I make toilet paper for a living. In particular, recycled toilet paper. The quality of WDW toilet paper is as about the lowest quality possible. Seeing that WDW has partnered with Kimberley Clark, the toilet paper is most likely coming out of Loudon, TN, Mobile AL, even Owensboro KY.

Whether premium or recycled, toilet paper will degrade. The problem with pipe clogging rests with the amount of water flow in the sewage pipes. When low flow toilets are used end mass, there is not enough fluid velocity to keep the toilet paper in suspension. The toilet paper and other solids will falk out and accumulate in the pipes causing flow restrictions.

Cesar R M

Alright, now your playing in my neighborhood as I make toilet paper for a living. In particular, recycled toilet paper. The quality of WDW toilet paper is as about the lowest quality possible. Seeing that WDW has partnered with Kimberley Clark, the toilet paper is most likely coming out of Loudon, TN, Mobile AL, even Owensboro KY.

Whether premium or recycled, toilet paper will degrade. The problem with pipe clogging rests with the amount of water flow in the sewage pipes. When low flow toilets are used end mass, there is not enough fluid velocity to keep the toilet paper in suspension. The toilet paper and other solids will falk out and accumulate in the pipes causing flow restrictions.
could this be then a pipping issue in Disney infrastructure?
Because most toilets seem pressure based (aka suck and push with water)

gonzoWDW

Also, quick side note about ESPN MNF

Never thought I would learn so much (approximately just doubled my knowledge) about toilet paper from a WDW forum.

Nubs70

could this be then a pipping issue in Disney infrastructure?
Because most toilets seem pressure based (aka suck and push with water)
It is a function of head pressure. A volume of water from the toilet flows downward through pipes of sufficient size that all solid paticles.remain suspended. The larger the pipe or smaller the volume of water, the lower the velocity. Low velocity allows solid particulate to fall out of the flow a lodge in the pipe.

Seeing the water conservation is all the rage, there is not enough velocity to keep pipes clean. This a particular issue in Berlin where they need to periodically pressure wash the sewer lines.

lazyboy97o

I actually just saw multiple people defending WDW toilet paper quality because better TP would clog the pipes. How exactly does one get that brainwashed?
You say that as though it is some unheard of issue in older, over taxed facilities. In days past where I handled such issues, I hated the better paper not because of clogs down the line but people's odd desire to fill a public toilet with paper.

Cesar R M

It is a function of head pressure. A volume of water from the toilet flows downward through pipes of sufficient size that all solid paticles.remain suspended. The larger the pipe or smaller the volume of water, the lower the velocity. Low velocity allows solid particulate to fall out of the flow a lodge in the pipe.

Seeing the water conservation is all the rage, there is not enough velocity to keep pipes clean. This a particular issue in Berlin where they need to periodically pressure wash the sewer lines.
And I suppose the only other solution is to constantly use chemicals on the water to make it flow and unglue the "stuff" in the pipes?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other news

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ESPN-Says-Cord-Trimmers-Biggest-Reason-For-Viewer-Decline-136114

From the same article

ESPN's contracts with cable operators dictate that should ESPN offer a standalone streaming service, cable operators are no longer restricted from offering skinny bundles without ESPN. In other words, should ESPN try to evolve here it may actually face an acceleration in the channel's rapid (though downplayed by Skipper) decline.

This is a bit I did not know about ESPN's contracts and it's really bad because it's holding ESPN back from developing 21'st century services a revenue sharing model probably would have been better for both sides as it softens the blow for the cablecos yet allows ESPN to deliver streaming services

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How much of ESPN's issues are from a growing disinterest in professional sports and the characters that play those games rather than cutting their cable? I would never watch ESPN if they didn't show OSU football and NCAA wrestling. I think it would be interesting to survey how people are spending their time compared to ten years ago. I know we are making an effort to be outdoors more and spending more time with friends and family.

Personally I think a fair amount is based on a growing disinterest in professional and college sports.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't need to re-read it. This entire discussion began as an opinion piece (mine and others) revolving around ESPN (at least it did when it started). Nowhere did anyone say the demise of ESPN was inevitable. Because someone points out challenges and threats to the business, and states there are issues they need to address and overcome in order to evolve their company, does not make it an eventuality. Again, no one (not I nor anyone else) has said it is inevitable that ESPN will collapse. Will their business stagnate and possibly degrade? It has already. Their ratings are down, their subscriptions are down, they are negatively impacting Disney's stock, they've lost "talent" to competitors. Those are all fact. Those are challenges and issues ESPN must address, otherwise other networks like FOX or other types of distribution channels will continue to gain ground.

Because someone states networks (I referenced CBS,ABC,NBC -) are a dying breed --- In their current format, yes they are. - http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/network-television-netflix/393005/
The product stagnates. They will adapt and evolve, or, they will continue to stagnate and degrade. Some will evolve. Maybe all will evolve. Maybe some won't. That is not to say ABC or CBS won't exist in 10 years. It is to say that they will not exist as they currently are because they will have evolved into something more. If they don't they will erode. The viewership will erode, the advertising revenue will erode and the quality of the product will erode. If people want to take the position that ABC, NBC, will just continue humming along as is because they are ABC and NBC fine.. Take that position. As misguided as it is. Every company recognizes the need to evolve. But some just don't have the make-up to do so: See: Borders Books, Blockbuster, Oshman's, and a hundred others. I don't think any of the executives of those companies said to themselves "nah, we don't need to change..we'll be just fine". They all tried. Some just couldn't. Other's are just hanging on. How many new K-Marts you seen go up around you? Walmart just shut over 150 stores. Think maybe Amazon and the other online retailers may have played a small part in that? Yet, you can buy online right on the Walmart website. So they are trying to adapt. But it still forced them to shutter over 150 stores.

Now if you want to be in the: "Well ESPN's guys are smart...so are all the TV executives...and the old guard will figure everything out...they'll pivot when the time is right" school of thought..fine. Business doesn't work that way. You don't evolve because you walk into the boardroom and say "Well fellows....time to evolve" There are thousands of high level execs that were put out of jobs, not because they didn't want to evolve, but they couldn't.

That was the argument.

How that was spun into "Death is inevitable" and "that is what your argument was" ..No. It wasn't. I guess if you keep misrepresenting someone's words and repeating the same thing over and over again you will eventually take it as truth.

Personally I think especially in the US 'Linear TV' is dead, And what's killing it is the enormous workload of the average WORKING american, Professionals spend 50-80 hours per week at their jobs. At the lower end of the job market many have 3-6 part time jobs. Where does this leave 'Linear TV'

Will the networks still be around - probably because local TV and news is still well suited to the linear model, The rest of the content well that will be on demand.

njDizFan

Personally I think a fair amount is based on a growing disinterest in professional and college sports.
I think the main reason ESPN has prospered and will take quite a bit of time to actually go the way of the buggy whip is gambling. Figures project almost 100 BILLION a year is spent just on football gambling. And if you know any one who gambles on sports they want to see every second of every game, and they want to hear as much commentary as possible to get an edge.

I knew some friends running a half a dozen screens with different games, it becomes a little crazy. Although these are the people with the NFL ticket and the red zone channel and all that stuff but they don't blink an eye at a cable expense.

Even after saying that, ESPN must evolve of die

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think the main reason ESPN has prospered and will take quite a bit of time to actually go the way of the buggy whip is gambling. Figures project almost 100 BILLION a year is spent just on football gambling. And if you know any one who gambles on sports they want to see every second of every game, and they want to hear as much commentary as possible to get an edge.

I knew some friends running a half a dozen screens with different games, it becomes a little crazy. Although these are the people with the NFL ticket and the red zone channel and all that stuff but they don't blink an eye at a cable expense.

Even after saying that, ESPN must evolve of die

I had never thought about that angle to be honest, But it does make sense why Direct TV offers that multiscreen NFL product where you have 6 games on a single screen.

Mike S

So kind of a doom and gloom observation. The other day while watching Festival of Fantasy in Liberty Square, I saw a CM at the popcorn food cart call to a Guest, hand him a handful of trash, and ask him to throw it away for her. I was flabbergasted and, honestly, it infuriated me that she pulled a Guest from his "moment" watching the parade because she was to lazy to walk over and throw the trash away herself. I declare, it has been bothering me every since I saw it. I feel like I'm overreacting and letting an issue at a theme park manifest into something more, but it was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen a CM do.
That is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Cesar R M

So kind of a doom and gloom observation. The other day while watching Festival of Fantasy in Liberty Square, I saw a CM at the popcorn food cart call to a Guest, hand him a handful of trash, and ask him to throw it away for her. I was flabbergasted and, honestly, it infuriated me that she pulled a Guest from his "moment" watching the parade because she was to lazy to walk over and throw the trash away herself. I declare, it has been bothering me every since I saw it. I feel like I'm overreacting and letting an issue at a theme park manifest into something more, but it was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen a CM do.
that sounds so weird.

Are you sure that "guest" wanst another off duty CM friend?

AEfx

And (squeamish hearts and minds might want to look away) can you confirm that in many cases toilet clogs in public restrooms are not caused by paper at all, but actually a certain product that only comes from the ladies room that is DESIGNED to expand and constrict liquid flow?

Goofyernmost

And (squeamish hearts and minds might want to look away) can you confirm that in many cases toilet clogs in public restrooms are not caused by paper at all, but actually a certain product that only comes from the ladies room that is DESIGNED to expand and constrict liquid flow?
Must be some pretty small pipes! However, it had to be from the ladies side because it has been my experience that about 98% of all men have never figured out anything as complex as flushing a toilet, so it wasn't men.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom