A Spirited Perfect Ten

WildcatDen

...knowing what Disney had planned for this week, we can compare it to what actually happened. A little(ish) bird tells me that what Disney plans and what the Chinese are ok with ain't always exactly similar.
Isn't this basically the point. Sure, it is a Disney park being built. but China is controlling the discussion. Should this be a concern to shareholders going forward? I am guessing YES.

suburbianj

And the British. British tourism kept the place afloat as well.

Alas.... Disney has alienated the locals and the AP holders....

It would be interesting to see the figures for how many UK visitors come to Orlando every year compared to other countries in the EU. I know for a fact that in the last five years any major airline flying to Orlando from the UK has increased the seats available,some airports have tripled seats leaving from that airport! I'm guessing after USA and Brazil it will be Mexico, and Canada for most visitors,would the UK be next?

PhotoDave219

I am local and stopped Disney APs a few years back and have only UNI now. Years ago Disney guest service and value exceeded Uni. The two companies have reversed places in my opinion. Visited Disney once a year recently only when out of town relatives came for a one and done. All of them stayed off property. Disney does get my DCL cruise business. Hope they don't infest that division with the current WDW service and attitude. When I do cruise the ships seem like another company runs them when compared to the WDW mess.

Well technically, it is. Yes, its under Parks and Resorts but their culture has yet to be infected by the beancounters.

JediMasterMatt

I agree. It's funny that you mention that because when we were in Orlando this past weekend, I was thinking about what a heck of a rebound there has been in Orlando since 9/11 (and we lived there before and after for several years in Orlando at the time) and wondered about if any type of conflict would cause a huge disruption in what has been built back up there.

I've wondered that myself... everytime we end up discussing Disney's premise that "The Guests Will Always Come."

I personally feel that the current state of the resort still has a direct connection to the events of 9/11. What took place back then was the fear in Orlando being too much of a destination vacation resort and if travel was curtailed, it would be far too vulnerable if people couldn't commute. This fear caused the extreme caution and hesitation to move forward with any capital projects. What was unfortunately learned during this time by TDO was that they could get away with it. When travel picked back up without the corresponding increase in capital to entice the crowds to the resort - the mold was set. Newton's third law kicked in. Attendance is going up and a budget at rest continues to stay at rest.

Granted, the seeds for this malaise were already being sown in advance of 2001; but, the resulting bounce back in tourism with the minimal expenditures of the resort has simply emboldened them.

At this point, they are actively trying new ways to steer the demand for the resort around (MM+ and now perhaps tiered pricing) instead of embracing what should come naturally with an increase in demand - increasing the supply. Of course doing that would cost money.

Lee

Adventurer
Don't agree - he's probably earned his namesake along side people like Spielberg, Lucas, etc. Is he #1? of course not, is he in the room... certainly IMO.
Absolutely.
I mean...who can forget...
image.jpg

Mike S

I personally feel that the current state of the resort still has a direct connection to the events of 9/11. What took place back then was the fear in Orlando being too much of a destination vacation resort and if travel was curtailed, it would be far too vulnerable if people couldn't commute. This fear caused the extreme caution and hesitation to move forward with any capital projects. What was unfortunately learned during this time by TDO was that they could get away with it. When travel picked back up without the corresponding increase in capital to entice the crowds to the resort - the mold was set. Newton's third law kicked in. Attendance is going up and a budget at rest continues to stay at rest.

Granted, the seeds for this malaise were already being sown in advance of 2001; but, the resulting bounce back in tourism with the minimal expenditures of the resort has simply emboldened them.

At this point, they are actively trying new ways to steer the demand for the resort around (MM+ and now perhaps tiered pricing) instead of embracing what should come naturally with an increase in demand - increasing the supply. Of course doing that would cost money.
What's really funny is that they've probably wasted more money in their attempts to avoid spending on attractions than if they put that money towards, well, attractions.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Or this guy...
51D5Z81TJXL._SX300_.jpg
Talk whatever you guys want.. but Arnie is a man of his words.
He said he would be back.. and he is back.

Well, Disney/ESPN's bid to extend their World Cup rights were turned down in favor of Fox under fairly sketchy circumstances.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-fifa-no-bid-sale-of-us-wcup-rights/23387205/

Also, there's a good chance the 2022 World Cup will be coming to America now.

I just thought it was notable. If Disney were ever to charged with corruption in China, it would be under different circumstances and thus not relevant to the FIFA crackdown.
I wonder if the shady deal included "not broadcasting any of the corruption charges on live TV" or "Will Defend Fifa's Blatter live whatever charge smears him"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom