A Spirited Perfect Ten

GiveMeTheMusic

Seems to me there's more than enough space back there for Star Wars Land.

You've got Toontown, next to the Circle D facility where they keep the park's horses and goats and birds, which is adjacent to the underused Festival Arena, petting zoo, and the Big Thunder BBQ restaurant. Toontown is kind of lame, and no one under the age of 30 knows or cares who Roger Rabbit is. The horse ranch can be moved off property and the horses can be trucked in for Main Street USA duty, if the PETA folks don't shut that ride down within the next two or three years. Ask the horse-drawn carriage drivers in Central Park how that went for them.

This photo below also loops in the outdoor Fantasyland Theater, although I don't think you need that much room. If the entrance to Star Wars Land was where Big Thunder Ranch is now, and by the time you got north of the railroad tracks you were inside a massive show building or series of buildings, you could have a contained Star Wars Land that was impervious to fireworks fallout, and rain, and allows you to create your own indoor environment a la' Little Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea.

It's a massive chunk of the park available back there.
6NmFmAC.jpg

From what I understand, the Fantasyland Theater would remain (which I think is wise). Your red area also leaves out the Toontown show buildings, which would be included, and possibly other backstage buildings as well. I've heard in no uncertain terms that several services housed in the buildings behind Toontown are being relocated off site within the next 12 months.

The choice is made, and if you're the sort that is into Toontown, you need to book a goodbye trip.

TP2000

From what I understand, the Fantasyland Theater would remain (which I think is wise). Your red area also leaves out the Toontown show buildings, which would be included, and possibly other backstage buildings as well. I've heard in no uncertain terms that several services housed in the buildings behind Toontown are being relocated off site within the next 12 months.

The choice is made, and if you're the sort that is into Toontown, you need to book a goodbye trip.

I'm okay with losing Toontown. The concept of meeting Mickey in a themed environment can be handled elsewhere in the park. The rest of Toontown is just frothy filler or attached to abandoned intellectual property like Roger Rabbit.

Having my photo taken with Roger Rabbit or Chewbacca... I'll take Chewbacca, please.

It also fascinates me that so many people somehow think the warehouses and support buildings behind Disneyland HAVE TO be there for the park to operate. The only thing that really has to be there is the fireworks launching facility and parade float warehouse. You could move all the other stuff 10 blocks away, and some of it could move to Fullerton or Orange, and Disneyland would still operate just fine.

There's a lot of land available for expansion on Disneyland's northern flanks. Bring it on!

Last edited:

asianway

I'm okay with losing Toontown. The concept of meeting Mickey in a themed environment can be handled elsewhere in the park. The rest of Toontown is just frothy filler or attached to abandoned intellectual property like Roger Rabbit.

Having my photo taken with Roger Rabbit or Chewbacca... I'll take Chewbacca, please.

It also fascinates me that so many people somehow think the warehouses and support buildings behind Disneyland HAVE TO be there for the park to operate. The only thing that really has to be there is the fireworks launching facility and parade float warehouse. You could move all the other stuff 10 blocks away, and some of it could move to Fullerton or Orange, and Disneyland would still operate just fine.

There's a lot of land available for expansion on Disneyland's northern flanks. Bring it on!
I'd take Roger...

But my bet is Lincoln is on the chopping block. Boy princess probably is already doing design work

NearTheEars

That is completely frakking insane.

A 7-day "gold" ticket with park hopping would cost over $650, PLUS tax, so almost $700. That's about $270 bucks more than the same thing costs you today.

Before I figure out if I am going to barf out of disgust or laugh at the insanity...

1) Is it me, or for many years wasn't the complaint that a WDW vacation was too complicated? Yet, everything that seems to be coming out of them is trying to complex it up to ridiculous levels only a Disney Mom would love?

2) I don't give a turd if "sporting events" have done things like this. Part of the attraction of a Disney vacation for many is the "pay one price" and then not to have to worry about it. Now? The structure makes little sense - does the park hopper not include MK? What if you buy a week's worth of "non-MK" tickets and then use the PH? I've seen tax charts less complex.

3) I have to wonder - are the idiots who put out the surveys really so stupid as to not think it would instantly get out like this, or was this intentional to give folks time to get used to the idea before they roll it out?

Messing further with the pricing structure is really going to hurt WDW. The most common reason I hear folks not going is because they go to the Disney website and they basically make it seem like there is no choice but to stay on-site, the second most common thing I hear is admission - even at current prices, if you are bringing 4 or 5 people, admission becomes an enormous cost. Making it even more nickel and dime as well as the obvious hike is just going to turn even more folks off.

My last thought is...if WDW is doing so darn well, spending is up, the place is doing great - supposedly - is that really the time to consider something like this? Of course, because they truly believe that they are evergreen, and there is no competition out there. Over-confidence to it's extreme. The Romans didn't see it coming, either.

I think they would be nuts to do this. But your gold ticket calculation only applies to July and the first week of August. The rest of the year has all 3 tiers sprinkled in most trips.

Still doesn't make it OK to raise a MK ticket up to $125 after just breaking the $100 barrier.

Mike S

I can only wish they would just ship the Roger Rabbit ride to DHS where it would be a much appreciated addition. It's precisely the type of family friendly, all ages ride the park needs desperately.

Heck, they should just ship everything from Toontown there and recreate it.
They could also make it better with maybe 1 or 2 more dark rides. I really liked Toontown when I went to Disneyland and would love one in DHS. Isn't there still room around Sunset Blvd.?

Lee

Adventurer
Oh my gosh. I remember a Jim Disney on Laughingplace.com back around 1999-2000. I had no idea that was the same guy who now does the westcoaster site. I don't just feel old, I am old.
Yep, same guy. (Not sure why he still uses the fake last name...)
He's had Westcoaster for years, at least 10. I haven't been there in ages, wasn't sure it was still active now that all those folks are into the Twitter.

OSUgirl77

I can only wish they would just ship the Roger Rabbit ride to DHS where it would be a much appreciated addition. It's precisely the type of family friendly, all ages ride the park needs desperately.

Heck, they should just ship everything from Toontown there and recreate it.
I would be completely fine with moving Roger, I just hate to lose it completely. It would be better than most of the Toy Story Playland stuff at least. And, we may be small in number, but there are still a few of us left who are old enough to remember that movie...;)

Monoblanco13

Regarding Tomorrowland it always seems like we have no say in anything which is basically true, hence why I feel positive reinforcement might work in our favor. I figure Disney fans are a large group and would be able to sway opinions if we worked together lol. I know pipe dreams ah maybe one day things will work out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've read an article or two about very aggressive maneuvers by Chinese pilots. WAr fever, partly because it's been awhile since China has had a major conflict and the current group don't know it's best to avoid it.

We get a for real war which probably has a limited nuclear release centered on Japan and West coast of US (current generation of Long March strategic missiles are thought not to have range to hit East coast of US),

At the moment China cannot project force, US/EU/JP sinks all PLAN units within 12-24 hours, Chinese PLAAF tries to do in Taiwan/Japan with air assault. This goes somewhat better but will still fail.

As a 'face saving' move China launches on the US/Japan, This does not end well, In the end only India/Russia are undamaged as a result.

The only good news is the US / EU manufacturing base will be rebuilt as everyone who can run a welder and/or a machine tool will be conscripted into the rebuilding project. However in no way will that lessen the untold suffering on both sides.

Biggest problem the news media has never brought forward is China considers every nation in the South China Sea area to be a 'Rogue Province' and it will be justified in using force to bring back rogue provinces such as Vietnam and the Phillipines...

Next Big Thing

The scheduling of the CM's probably has a lot to do with their attitude, how would you like to be scheduled from say 6pm to midnight along with everyone else working strange hours so no OT need be paid, it's not going to make for a happy workforce.

It very much speaks to the contempt management has towards the front line CM, they are seen as interchangeable machine parts with no life rather than the key element to a great guest experience.
6PM to midnight is normal and isn't worthy of OT in any line of work, even outside of WDW. WDW pays overtime when you work over 8 hours in a day AND 40 hours per week. Consistent with the rest of the work world.

Where CMs get annoyed is only being paid $9/hour to be forced to come in at 6 AM and not leave until 2 AM during the 24 hour event. Of course overtime pay is $13.50 (when you are making the base of $9), but working 20 hours in a day is almost slave labor. No one should be forced to work that long.

Rteetz

SeaWorld announced the name for their new coaster. Mako will go 200 ft high and 70 mph.

http://www./2015/05/seaworld-orland...-coaster-the-tallest-and-fastest-in-the-city/

NormC

why? It "triggers" you?
it "rustles your jimmies" as they say online?
Actually it makes the poster look less intelligent and unable to hold up their side of a discussion or argument. A quick meme or GIF response is just dismissive, rude and sometimes insulting. Disrespecting fellow members is not the way we should act. We are all guilty of saying the wrong thing at times but I tend to believe for the most part we have a fairly intelligent and respectful group here on the forums. I may be giving some too much credit though.

alphac2005

Tiered pricing is a bit nuts. They really do love to just keep pushing buttons. No harm though, the one time guests they're aiming for will still come.

You're dead-on here. That's what the business model has become: The once every six years or every decade customer. Make them feel obligated that they HAVE to visit as part of the family experience and the grotesque pricing structure doesn't matter. They could care less about us and and regulars. The question becomes when is the tipping point for the one and one customer of the pricing being too high or the experience too miserable?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
6PM to midnight is normal and isn't worthy of OT in any line of work, even outside of WDW. WDW pays overtime when you work over 8 hours in a day AND 40 hours per week. Consistent with the rest of the work world.

Where CMs get annoyed is only being paid $9/hour to be forced to come in at 6 AM and not leave until 2 AM during the 24 hour event. Of course overtime pay is $13.50 (when you are making the base of $9), but working 20 hours in a day is almost slave labor. No one should be forced to work that long.

True but if you play computerized scheduling games you can ensure your workers never exceed 32.5 hours in a week (ACA Threshold) yet may have to clock in 2x per day for 'short shifts' and as such NEVER are eligible for overtime, Gone are the days when companies would boost pay for those events and ask for volunteers.

As to working more than 20 hours per day - just talk to some IT or Engineering guys like me, Consecutive all nighters are not unusual and being exempt you never get more than your base pay, There is a reason Tech employers generally have shower facilities on site a nice icy shower can sub for a few hours of sleep.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You're dead-on here. That's what the business model has become: The once every six years or every decade customer. Make them feel obligated that they HAVE to visit as part of the family experience and the grotesque pricing structure doesn't matter. They could care less about us and and regulars. The question becomes when is the tipping point for the one and one customer of the pricing being too high or the experience too miserable?

I think it's coming sooner than later, All WDW needs is some event which disrupts travel and the assumption that 'first timers will always come' will be broken and they will NEED the repeat visitors (who kept them alive post 9/11) again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom