A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Airplanes registered to a third party. taking off from an airport near where I am and conducting surveillance over West Baltimore during their unrest. Rather creepy.

Much more disturbing than Mickey tracking everything I do at WDW. Speaking of which.... @WDW1974, we ever find out more abut Palintir & their role with MM+/NextGen? Or were they simply helping build the database that analyzes every movement we make?

Who knows? I'm waiting to see if anyone does a breakdown on exactly who owns homes or is living at Golden Oak. Is that too obvious?

MerlinTheGoat

I hope so. I don't know that much about the project. I do know that folks at UNI Creative have fought to make this less screen dependent. If the above is true, and OU tends to be very good about these things, then I'd guess Coup and Woodberry were talked into some smart choices. I'll ask around ...
I hope so as well, thanks in advance for any info you can dig up. I'm not really into the Universal side of the rumors and speculation to know who is in the know over there (besides HateToFly), but i've heard speculation from apparently trustworthy people within the past few months that plans have changed drastically very recently for the ride. In one of the Kong threads, they indicated in some posts that the previously leaked plans and blueprints were no longer accurate and should be disregarded as the ride had changed rather drastically recently. And the way it was being hyped indicated that it was changed for the better and would be something much more ambitious (this new information perhaps lending some credence to that possibility). I very much hope they're right and it's not just fanboy excitement from Uni's fanbase.

I'll be surprised if Avatar gets an extra attraction. And I really hate to say this, but unless the budget increased alongside the hypothetical third attraction, I don't know if it's such a good idea to have a third one anyways. I'm all for more rides and attractions (don't get me wrong as i'd love to have a huge healthy budgeted Avatar Land with three rides or so), but not if the budget remains the same and causes the other two rides to be increasingly watered down and made inferior. I'd rather have at least one or two good rides than three mediocre to bad ones is what i'm saying basically, don't wish attractions to cannibalize one another's budgets without more money being allotted to ensure they remain as good as possible. And you rarely hear about budgets being increased after construction has already begun. I'm already worried that the budget isn't enough as it is. I've little to no interest in the Soarin 2.0 ride (cited on plans as an "E ticket"), my only interest besides the land's no doubt very pretty scenery is the boat ride (AK needs some slower paced rides anyone can enjoy, though i'm troubled since the plans label it as a C ticket).

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Kong being announced in an hour. Doc Blondie tweeted about a parking garage walkway. My money's on another cupcake opportunity before noon

I wonder if they had to get rid of Crazy Gary in order to pay her more for her PhD in Texting and Cupcake Parties?

I'm very scared because a very intelligent source pegs her salary at well over $100 K a year. This is Disney where they start PR folks today still in the $40-50K range. Like I said, scary ...

LithiumBill

1.) WDW is stale and stagnant and saying they're slow to add new things would be a crime against the word 'slow';
2.) UNI is in the midst of a period of amazing growth (second only to when they added IOA, City Walk and the resorts) and they're adding quality, not overhyped crap;

THIS.

I could easily be considered a pixie duster, and in the past was always on the the side of the BRAND. We visit Orlando just about every year (my mom lives in FL and we have a timeshare...) We always visit WDW, at least 3 parks, normally 4 days a trip. Guess what, we are going back in JAN 16 (we were there in Nov 2014) and we are not stepping foot on WDW property. Going to Uni for 2 days and that is it. We have BURN OUT! and I love WDW, i am the guy telling all my friends, that walking down mainstreet makes me feel young, reminds me of my dad who is now past... But after years of basically the same stuff, even me - the certified Disney champion, is just MEH with it.

PhotoDave219

I don't disagree. But that is because of two things that you know as well or better than many here:

1.) WDW is stale and stagnant and saying they're slow to add new things would be a crime against the word 'slow';
2.) UNI is in the midst of a period of amazing growth (second only to when they added IOA, City Walk and the resorts) and they're adding quality, not overhyped crap;

Yeah, everyone knows Disney likes to have meetings. And meetings. And meetings. Either that or the executives in charge of green lighting stuff in Glendale just simply don't get that when you have 30% growth in 10 years, you're going to need places to put those people.

And I would argue that Uni is only growing because they had nowhere else to go but up. When Blackstone owned them, they were neglected as bad as DHS/DAK are today. Looking at USO, they went from 6.85M visitors in 2003 to 7.06M in 2013. (MK went from 14.04M to 18.58M in the same time period) They essentially have to invest because for years, they were flat out ignored.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope so as well, thanks in advance for any info you can dig up. I'm not really into the Universal side of the rumors and speculation to know who is in the know over there (besides HateToFly), but i've heard speculation from apparently trustworthy people within the past few months that plans have changed drastically very recently for the ride. In one of the Kong threads, they indicated in some posts that the previously leaked plans and blueprints were no longer accurate and should be disregarded as the ride had changed rather drastically recently. And the way it was being hyped indicated that it was changed for the better and would be something much more ambitious (this new information perhaps lending some credence to that possibility). I very much hope they're right and it's not just fanboy excitement from Uni's fanbase.

I want some extra info. My UNI sources are basically never wrong and I sure hope this info isn't designed to stop the ALL UNI CAN DO IS SCREENZ crowd. I'd love it if that info is correct!

I'll be surprised if Avatar gets an extra attraction. And I really hate to say this, but unless the budget increased alongside the hypothetical third attraction, I don't know if it's such a good idea to have a third one anyways. I'm all for more rides and attractions (don't get me wrong as i'd love to have a huge healthy budgeted Avatar Land with three rides or so), but not if the budget remains the same and causes the other two rides to be increasingly watered down and made inferior. I'd rather have at least one or two good rides than three mediocre to bad ones is what i'm saying basically. And you rarely hear about budgets being increased after construction has already begun. I'm already worried that the budget isn't enough as it is. I've no interested in the Soarin 2.0 ride "E ticket" (heavy quotes on E ticket), my only interest besides the scenery is the boat ride (AK needs some slower paced rides anyone can enjoy, though i'm troubled since the plans label it as a C ticket).

I would be surprised bordering on shocked, which is why I've kept it under wraps for months. There's no way it was added into the $500 million (before overruns) budget. They would have had to get extra funding. I just can't believe that happened unless it was always intended and simply put off due to all the NGE spending.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess that's understandable. Thanks for explaining the rationale for how ridiculous people sound when saying Mermaid flat out "sucks". Their expectations for that ride were clearly not what Disney was going for. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to to be a fun ride for kids that in a few decades will be lumped with Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Mr Toad and the other "greats". I mean besides the properly fantastic queue/area/atmosphere and everything else that only added to a ride that's just as good as the "classics".

Except, of course, the fact that the actual ride does ... well, suck.

Thanks for your opinion and welcome back!

BrianLo

To say SDL in 2016 will actually have a positive impact in their financials is an incredibly bold statement to make considering all the indications to the contrary.

Speaking of Shanghai, Princess Cruises announced today that its brand new (as yet unnamed) ship in said city not long after RCCL said it will relocate its new Quantum of the Seas to Shanghai starting in 2017. One wonders how far behind Disney will get in the Asian cruise market before it seals the deal on the pair of new ships it is adding. It would appear the Disney Dream is Europe-bound in 2017, but could it wind up in Asia instead?

A correction, Quantum is returning in 2017, they'll have already completed a season in Shanghai. Originally I was planning a to do both it and SDL a year or so ago... back when there was some semblance of hope it would be opening in 2015. Disney could support way more than 4 cruise ships, I don't think they need to be one of the big boys, but they are so niche with only 4 ships in that market (which is becoming more and more global). Even 6 ships doesn't really cut it.

As to the point about SDL impacting financials? Just ask @ParentsOf4, you don't really need a "positive" impact so much as a halt in spending year over year to spin the resort in a positive light. They will definitely do just that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So much fail in one post. Pirates is a boat ride, not an omnimover. Current wait time for Mermaid is 25 minutes, exactly the same as Mansion and Big Thunder. Are you going to sit here and defend your argument by stating that Mansion and Big Thunder are suckfests in the same vein as Mermaid? Because that's what would be required for you to remain intellectually consistent.

Regardless, your implication that a 40 minute wait at Pirates would somehow be normal is garbage. That ride is walk-on most days from open until noon and then again from six to close.

ETA: Mine Train is at 90 BTW.

Those wait times are all inflated by MM+. Mermaid would never have a 25-minute wait without it. And I can tell you that based on four trips to WDW in the last 12 months that the average wait time of Pirates has gone from walkon-10 minutes to 25-45 minutes. That is the NEW normal.

BrianLo

I would be surprised bordering on shocked, which is why I've kept it under wraps for months. There's no way it was added into the $500 million (before overruns) budget. They would have had to get extra funding. I just can't believe that happened unless it was always intended and simply put off due to all the NGE spending.

I always suspected that "something" changed when Cameron finally gave the go ahead. I suspected that something was just a serious plussing to the boat ride, but who knows... maybe there was some nebulous promise about a third attraction in a phase two (that likely will never happen).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Eh, actions speak louder than words. No new theme or water park for decades and only limited expansion in the existing ones means one consider(s/ed) the market mature.

I wonder if the Orlando market isn't booming, or even ready to explode. If I see what Potter did for a theme park with no name recognition this side of the pond, then I I can only imagine what a ten billion dollar capital infusion in WDW would've done. Then again, I can also understand Disney's position that it does WDW little good to go from its status as World's Largest Theme Park Resort to World's Largest Theme PArk Resort, But Now a Little Bit Bigger Yet. People drawn to the second would've been drawn to the first.
I don't disagree with any of this.

I was responding specifically to a post that stated someone from Disney actually said they see Orlando as a mature market. While we can all draw the conclusion that they feel this way based on the slow pace of building if they actually start making this claim publicly it's a pretty ominous statement. When a company publicly calls a market they operate in "mature" it's usually either to explain why they are not investing any more in that market, explain less than stellar results in that market or to prepare for an exit from that market. The results have been pretty good for several years now at WDW and I seriously doubt they are planning an exit from Orlando so if execs from TWDC are calling Orlando a mature market it's probably a sign they don't plan to invest much there. It also directly contradicts the billions spent over the last few years on MM+, FLE and now Avatar. Forget about whether we like those investments or think they should have invested more. These are corporate executives who rarely speak "off script". Analysts would come down pretty hard on them if they tried to justify large capital spend on a mature market.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not to sound too glass half full, but Mine Train did get added later in the project for FLE. Not this late, but it's not totally unprecedented. Early on James Cameron seemed to imply multiple attractions (more than 2). I always thought maybe the 2 rides and a walkthrough or something. Your theory on NGE spending makes a lot of sense. Maybe it got cut and is added back now. Any idea if this would be a minor ride or something more substantial?

doctornick

I always suspected that "something" changed when Cameron finally gave the go ahead. I suspected that something was just a serious plussing to the boat ride, but who knows... maybe there was some nebulous promise about a third attraction in a phase two (that likely will never happen).

Well, WDW1974 said "attraction" not "ride" so it's entirely possible that the third attraction is something like a plussed walking path (if indeed it was added). The aerial views show pretty clearly the Soarin' type ride and boat ride footprints, but little work has been done elsewhere to suggest another ride. Doesn't mean one couldn't occur, but it would probably either be (1) very simple, like a flat ride or (2) not opening until after the rest of the land.

lazyboy97o

Not to sound too glass half full, but Mine Train did get added later in the project for FLE. Not this late, but it's not totally unprecedented. Early on James Cameron seemed to imply multiple attractions (more than 2). I always thought maybe the 2 rides and a walkthrough or something. Your theory on NGE spending makes a lot of sense. Maybe it got cut and is added back now. Any idea if this would be a minor ride or something more substantial?
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was not added. It was swapped out for other parts of the project.

Cesar R M

Pirates and HM = 3,200 riders per hour max
IASW = 3,000
LM = 2,200
Peter Pan = 800
speaking of capacity, I always wonder why they put so few people in each of the Peter Pan rides. I seen tons of single riders using a single "boat". While the line of people waiting is staggering high.

Doesnt help that almost 70% of the capacity seems to be for FP (when I was there, 7 out of every 10, were for FP ), in the minimum 50%...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom