A Spirited Perfect Ten

DDLand

People are going to visit MK and ignore the other parks no matter what...at least with a five additional high capacity rides, you could spread out the crowds more to the make park bearable but at the same time, you would have to add one attraction each at other parks to not cannibalize MK with the marketing campaign to get people to visit.

I think that would certainly help, but the problem is anything that draws people to Walt Disney World will draw people to the Magic Kingdom. No one is going to go to WDW and not go to the MK. Hell, I'd venture a guess that anyone going to Orlando with their family won't skip the MK. So the park itself still needs to handle people much better than it does now.
Let's remember how a lot of people vacation. For a week long visit they usually experience Magic Kingdom multiple times. I know I visit MK two and sometimes three times on a trip. (Yeah I'm one of those people) That's compared to half and maybe barely a full day at Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. By making those two parks full day experiences, they could have guests shaving off hours or even days of their Magic Kingdom time diverting them to other parks. That means more even crowds across the 4 parks. Extra Magic Kingdom capacity won't be wasted; millions of other guests will take their place in line.

I'm pretty sure Walt Disney World attendance will keep on growing regardless. They just have the opportunity of diverting some of the guests to other Parks besides MK. That means greater capacity all around.

PhotoDave219

Everyone seems to be acknowledging Universal's success. The biggest disagreement I've seen (or at least that I've participated in) is over what the cause of that success is.

The thing they failed to mention is how far universal had fallen. They literally had nowhere to go but up.

I would say they have finally caught up to where they should be had they not had 8 to 10 years of stagnation and neglect.

gmajew

Premium Member
Disney Parks & Resorts reported some great financial numbers last quarter too.

It doesn't have to be "us vs. them". WDW and Universal Orlando both can be successful at the same time. :)

I think both being good is actually great for both of them... It keeps them both building and developing. If universal sucked do you think we would be seeing all the work done at WDW? I don't. We for sure would not be getting Avatar or SW even though the later has not been announced.

GLaDOS

I think both being good is actually great for both of them... It keeps them both building and developing. If universal sucked do you think we would be seeing all the work done at WDW? I don't. We for sure would not be getting Avatar or SW even though the later has not been announced.

Considering how slow Disney is to do anything, the thought of what WDW's future would look like if WWoHP wasn't the homerun it was is terrifying.

Travel Junkie

Fact:
If the Magic Kingdom's installation of Little Mermaid was never built here in the states, and was instead put into Tokyo's Fantasyland or even DisneySea as a unique attraction- most of the people around here would be screaming bloody murder about how unfair it is that Tokyo yet-again got a superior dark ride that the US parks would never dream of.

Well that’s an opinion actually. The only criticism I believe you would see if that scenario occurred was why Little Mermaid did not have a ride in the states.

If Little Mermaid is such a great attraction why do they keep tinkering with it? Most of these tweaks you have seen in WDW are a result of copying what DCA has been doing. DCA has been making lots of changes to the ride since it opened. The reason the changes were prompted at DCA was because of poor guest feedback and despite it being the only true Fantasyland style dark ride in DCA it is a walk on at all except the busiest of times.

Those are hardly the signs of a great attraction.

Quinnmac000

The thing they failed to mention is how far universal had fallen. They literally had nowhere to go but up.

I would say they have finally caught up to where they should be had they not had 8 to 10 years of stagnation and neglect.

But those also were the glory days for the random tourist at Uni..7 day pass for 95 bucks a person...never ever crowd. Always just a straight up chill day in the parks whilst all of the Disney parks were still relatively jampacked.

Captain Chaos

I was talking about 2013 in every post I made on Transformers. The year Transformers opened. No crap 2014 came from Potter. But they do say 2013 came from Transformers, so I'll take that as an admission that I was correct in saying Transformers was a draw. Thank you.
Stop. Using. Facts. Again, those pesky things ruins agendas.

Man, I am glad I have people on ignore. Makes this site so much better. Trolls are gone.

PhotoDave219

Why the hell does this form always devolve into "Disney versus universal"?

If I wanted to discuss universal, I would go to Orlando United message boards.

Most of what they do just doesn't interest me one iota. I honestly don't care especially in that Disney has made it completely clear that they will not respond to anything that universal does.

Quinnmac000

Why the hell does this form always devolve into "Disney versus universal"?

If I wanted to discuss universal, I would go to Orlando United message boards.

Most of what they do just doesn't interest me one iota. I honestly don't care especially in that Disney has made it completely clear that they will not respond to anything that universal does.

Pandora

71jason

You mean the Creative team gets to tell the CEO when to make an announcement? :D

No, but customarily they are warned--and have some input I assume. Just handled poorly. Goes back to my theme park maxim--Universal knows how to build theme parks, Disney knows how to run theme parks. Unfortunately, each could take a few lessons in the other's specialty.

bhg469

It's still a bit amazing to me how posting some good news about Universal causes some Disney fans (I'm a fan as well, but not to such a pathological level) to just lose it. It is not us vs them and these arguments are not fruitful.

I want Disney to put some effort into things too. Some of the upcoming stuff sounds good, but the track record of the last 10 years or so isn't that good (before that it was mostly amazing). WDW is more or less coasting right now, and things like closing down attractions in DHS and Epcot. (Hello pay for commercial movie previews in a former classic attraction). Announced things like Soarin & Toy Story expansions are safe, Avatar may be good despite WDW, and Frozen in Norway seems like a capacity nightmare, though. The other rumored projects coming up sound good, but I think they have a large obstacle ahead in overcoming the "special needs" management currently at WDW. (If you need an example of this, see how PI/Hyperion Warf/Disney Springs was handled, but it is not the only one)

WDW's great and gets the most pie out of the Orlando Market (and still increasing), but going in the wrong direction customer wise. Universal is good, and going in the right direction. That's really it, not hate/love of either.
I agree 100% but did I miss some universal news? I had to step away for a few days due to newly ignored members giving me headaches.

71jason

With all the talk of Potter financials, we seem to be forgetting that Gringotts was the most overhyped, and disappointing attraction to open in O-Town this decade(with that Penguin Travesty at Sea World a close second).

Antarctica wins that award hands-down. But you seem to be forgetting The Legend of Jack Sparrow and the BOATHOUSE amphicars. Of course, not much else has opened at Disney in the past decade to overhype.

But even in Diagon Alley, the award has to go to Madam Milkin's and its entire room of switchbacks that have never been used.

71Jason ~ "If you're going to troll, at least know what the hell you're talking about"

71jason

Just to add when Transformers opened in Hollywood attendance also bumped up 15% year over year. Clearly Transformers is a draw.

So the IP that has had four hit movies (like top-5 grossers in their years of release) and cartoons on TV fairly steadily the last 3 decades and that mixes robots and fast cars is actually ... popular?

Or maybe it's the fact it's just a really cool ride that every family member over the age of 3 can enjoy together.

the.dreamfinder

So the IP that has had four hit movies (like top-5 grossers in their years of release) and cartoons on TV fairly steadily the last 3 decades and that mixes robots and fast cars is actually ... popular?

Or maybe it's the fact it's just a really cool ride that every family member over the age of 3 can enjoy together.
And more importantly, it happens to have a decent capacity. Transformers was never meant to be an attendance driver in the same manner as Potter, but rather a sponge to soak up guests so as not to overwhelm the part of the park where Diagon is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom