A Spirited Perfect Ten

dupac

The 'Disney is a business' crowd are just doormats. They get stepped on and they ask for more. The old-school crowd (i guess im in that category) recognize we are being stepped on and complain, but we keep going back anyway (most of us.) Its just a waiting game at this point. Im waiting out Iger and co. and hoping the next group will care more about theme parks. If not, then the only hope is wait for the whole thing to blow up in their face (if that ever happens).

I just dont understand the 'Disney is a business' crowd though. Many of them (not all) have only been visiting since after 2000 and refuse to listen to an old schooler who has been visiting for decades tell them how the magic has slowly deteriorated. They can only make claims of profits or attendance numbers and throw out buzz words. If POTC is up and running thats all that matters to them, they dont notice the problems. They dont mind $2 billion being spent on FP+ instead of new attractions because it allows them to book a FP for TSMM on their phone instead of being at rope drop. Instead of wanting a better product, they just want something NOW...RIGHT NOW!!!
Idk... I've only been to WDW since 2006, and the magic has deteriorated for me just over the last 9 years. I mean, I like that there's an app that I can use to book FP with instead of strapping on my running shoes at rope drop, but I also think that the new boats and show scene quality on POTC are ridiculous.

dupac

New here (Hello All!), but was wondering what the MAGICal nine attractions a day threshhold is, although I can assume the meaning. :)
Attractions per day is a metric used to measure success/satisfaction/etc. The rumored target is 9. Or it could be confirmed... I feel like I saw a presentation by someone who actually stated that the goal is 9 attractions/guest.

bhg469

New here (Hello All!), but was wondering what the MAGICal nine attractions a day threshhold is, although I can assume the meaning. :)
HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW!!!!

Actually this is the first time i have heard of that as well :) I Don't think I went on that many attractions across all 4 parks on my last visit. It was only a one day park hopper so one would think we should get in as many as we could but that doesn't even seem close.

Nemo14

HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW!!!!

Actually this is the first time i have heard of that as well :) I Don't think I went on that many attractions across all 4 parks on my last visit. It was only a one day park hopper so one would think we should get in as many as we could but that doesn't even seem close.
Then you are obviously a failure! ;)

tribbleorlfl

Yup, that is true. Disney is a 'climate of fear' company where people are sacked at any time for the slightest reason, in order to keep other employees on their toes, which means any employee questioning their superiors or rocking the boat in any way is risking their job.

I imagine for any job with serious responsibility they'll want to recruit internally to ensure whoever gets the job has gone the distance and survived a while with their job intact, so I imagine often external advertisements are just concessions to best practice as opposed to genuine attempts to recruit from outside.
Perhaps it's for the best I haven't gotten any response to my applications, then. After dealing with office politics in my current and previous employers (two 150+ year-old insurance companies with long-term, established cultures and employees), I can only imagine it's like a shark tank in there.

That being said, like I mentioned previously, both my dad and my wife's grandfather were 25+ year cm's, and my brother was there close to 10, and they all enjoyed being CM's.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's either the F3 or the N90 with a digital back.

The F3 had a bricklike support module which you needed to use to download the images and it had a black and white CRT display,

Instead of 'giving people what they want' -Disney used to give people something they never even thought of. Thats what separated them from the rest.

Exactly - Wins the internet for the day

hopemax

Spirited Request For a Little Project:

If you were going to ask Bob Iger (along with Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo) ONE question during the upcoming WDC shareholders meeting in San Francisco, what would it be? Simply place it in a post here or at the bottom of another post.

Who knows? That question might just be asked at said meeting.

Yeah, it's kind of long...but the one shareholder's meeting I went to, had some mighty long questions...

"Mr Iger, in 2006 you explained that you had a major realization while watching a parade that the Disney company had not created meaningful new characters in over a decade, and this realization helped cement the acquisition of Pixar and revitalization of Feature Animation. Which could then be leveraged into growth in other business units such as Consumer Products and Parks & Resorts.

Given the recent success of Frozen, this strategy would appear to be paying off. It has certainly proven to be a merchandising juggernaut, and Frozen characters now appear in many Disney parades. But the only permanent, domestic Theme Park presence is via extremely low capacity "Meet & Greet" locations, and the replacement of the former Maelstrom attraction at WDW. Which to explain to the non-theme park crowd, was a short, middling capacity, dark ride. A space never designed to house the components necessary to create one of Disney's signature "E-ticket attractions."

It seems, that given the global phenomenon Frozen has become, it should be destined to be part of some sort of major project. If only because it would be necessary to service the tens of thousands of people that will want to experience it on a daily basis. Current WDW visitors are familiar with the frustrations of securing a time to experience on things like Toy Story Mania, and the recent Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, despite the arrival of FP+. Those familiar with the Maelstrom space, are already imagining all sorts of doomsday scenarios for wait times and FP+ availability. I can't imagine the company was happy with the shortages that plagued merchandise in terms of lost and delayed sales, but it feels like a similar situation is set to unfold within Parks & Resorts.

Does this small scale course of action for Frozen, say more about predictions concerning the long-term success of Frozen, or the ability of Parks & Resort to deliver the first-class, E-ticket attractions Disney is historically known for? Is Parks & Resorts in the same creatively deficient place that you realized Feature Animation was, while watching that parade? Creating new popular, and marketable character properties, isn't much good if they, to use a sports metaphor, "are being wasted by playing the wrong position, or stuck sitting on the bench." Yes, Parks and Resorts are using the Frozen property, but are they using it in a way that is unnecessarily limiting or to maximize their potential for business growth? Your competitor leveraged the Harry Potter franchise into lands in two Orlando based parks, and is seeing enormous growth in their theme park business. Frozen meet & greets and a replacement for a dark ride, come off sounding so small for such a successful property, don't you think?

And on a related note, Disney enjoys the benefits of becoming home to another major IP with Star Wars. Despite announcements that a future theme park presence is "coming," and considering the construction time for recent projects such as New Fantasyland and Avatar... Should Disney be afraid of missing the "window of opportunity." Again to use a sports metaphor, 'squandering a player's talent by having him to ride the bench in the prime years of his career.' Why not have theme park attractions come on line, more concurrent with the movies?"

Mike S

Yeah, it's kind of long...but the one shareholder's meeting I went to, had some mighty long questions...

"Mr Iger, in 2006 you explained that you had a major realization while watching a parade that the Disney company had not created meaningful new characters in over a decade, and this realization helped cement the acquisition of Pixar and revitalization of Feature Animation. Which could then be leveraged into growth in other business units such as Consumer Products and Parks & Resorts.

Given the recent success of Frozen, this strategy would appear to be paying off. It has certainly proven to be a merchandising juggernaut, and Frozen characters now appear in many Disney parades. But the only permanent, domestic Theme Park presence is via extremely low capacity "Meet & Greet" locations, and the replacement of the former Maelstrom attraction at WDW. Which to explain to the non-theme park crowd, was a short, middling capacity, dark ride. A space never designed to house the components necessary to create one of Disney's signature "E-ticket attractions."

It seems, that given the global phenomenon Frozen has become, it should be destined to be part of some sort of major project. If only because it would be necessary to service the tens of thousands of people that will want to experience it on a daily basis. Current WDW visitors are familiar with the frustrations of securing a time to experience on things like Toy Story Mania, and the recent Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, despite the arrival of FP+. Those familiar with the Maelstrom space, are already imagining all sorts of doomsday scenarios for wait times and FP+ availability. I can't imagine the company was happy with the shortages that plagued merchandise in terms of lost and delayed sales, but it feels like a similar situation is set to unfold within Parks & Resorts.

Does this small scale course of action for Frozen, say more about predictions concerning the long-term success of Frozen, or the ability of Parks & Resort to deliver the first-class, E-ticket attractions Disney is historically known for? Is Parks & Resorts in the same creatively deficient place that you realized Feature Animation was, while watching that parade? Creating new popular, and marketable character properties, isn't much good if they, to use a sports metaphor, "are being wasted by playing the wrong position, or stuck sitting on the bench." Yes, Parks and Resorts are using the Frozen property, but are they using it in a way that is unnecessarily limiting or to maximize their potential for business growth? Your competitor leveraged the Harry Potter franchise into lands in two Orlando based parks, and is seeing enormous growth in their theme park business. Frozen meet & greets and a replacement for a dark ride, come off sounding so small for such a successful property, don't you think?

And on a related note, Disney enjoys the benefits of becoming home to another major IP with Star Wars. Despite announcements that a future theme park presence is "coming," and considering the construction time for recent projects such as New Fantasyland and Avatar... Should Disney be afraid of missing the "window of opportunity." Again to use a sports metaphor, 'squandering a player's talent by having him to ride the bench in the prime years of his career.' Why not have theme park attractions come on line, more concurrent with the movies?"
Kim-Jong-un.gif

1 like from me isn't enough. You win the best post of day. I would LOVE to see someone ask this word for word.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The issue is, not everyone can rent cars just fyi ;)
That's only an issue for those that can't as opposed to those the just don't. If you can't rent a car, you don't and have to work with what is provided. In reality how many that stay onsite are really in that place. They decide not to be in control of their lives while at Disney. They just turn themselves over to TWDC and let them have their way.

I can have a car and I do have a car. I do not ever want to be a volunteer prisoner in a land that requires me to open my wallet every 5 minutes. There is so much to do in Florida. Disney, of course, is a big time thing to be doing, but it isn't everything. One can even stay onsite with a vehicle and not be shackled to time schedules if they want too. It's all a personal decision. The point is, for most people there is a choice.

Last edited:

choco choco

While I love your thought, and agree it could be a great excuse to create new ride concepts, a valid argument against creating new rides in order to create movie franchises could be made by mentioning the following movies:

The Country Bears, June 2002, Budget $35 Million, Box Office $18 Million :eek:

Seeing how that movie did, it's rather a minor miracle that the Pirates film franchise was already in advanced development and en route to be released in July, 2003 after that turkey soured the punch. Then there was the next Attraction-Turned-Movie...

The Haunted Mansion, November 2003, Budget $90 Million, Box Office $75 Million :arghh:

But the reviews were so awful, with the movie finally sinking Eddie Murphy's flailing career, that much of that box office was simply residual from the Summer '03 goodwill built by the other New Orleans Square E Ticket turned movie Pirates of the Caribbean.

Pirates went on to create multiple sequels and become the 2000's pop cultural equivalent of Star Wars. But the two giant stink bombs that surrounded it, Country Bears and Haunted Mansion, still haunt the concept development meetings for any Disney Studios exec who dares to suggest an old Disneyland ride might be good fodder for a movie plot.

Actually, those two failures haven't stopped Disney execs from suggesting more movies based on attractions. Since then, they have had in development a Matterhorn movie, a It's a Small World movie, Jon Favreau's Magic Kingdom, a Big Thunder tv show, and another attempt at the Haunted Mansion, this time by allowing horror-meister Guillermo del Toro a good crack at it.

So they've obviously played around with the concept a little more. The problem is that the number of theme park specific properties left to be developed is very limited and there aren't any in the pipeline. Their process is that they should develop the attraction after the movie. My contention is that spending $200 million on John Carter was akin to setting it on fire, and if you had given that $200 million to WDI and let them do whatever, you could have had at best a potential franchise starter and at worst a product that will still earn money 20 years down the line. A $200 million attraction will earn money for decades (indirectly, since it is part of the larger theme park experience, but it will still draw); how much money is John Carter earning the company right now? How about Lone Ranger?

If you want to create another Pirates of the Caribbean, you have to start with a Pirates of the Caribbean somewhere. But Iger won't even consider it.

Phil12

So what if one doesn't want a car and wants to be stuck in WDW? Let 'em!
I agree. I drive to WDW and I've done the vacation several ways. I've been on property and off property and not used my car during the entire stay by relying upon bus transportation provided by Disney or other resorts. I've always found the Hotel Plaza Blvd. bus service to be excellent.

On other occasions I've used my car exclusively and on other occasions I've used a mix of my car and resort transportation. The only real advantage to having a car is the ability to go pick up some Chinese takeout and bring it back to the room or buy some inexpensive beer.

FigmentJedi

Actually, those two failures haven't stopped Disney execs from suggesting more movies based on attractions. Since then, they have had in development a Matterhorn movie, a It's a Small World movie, Jon Favreau's Magic Kingdom, a Big Thunder tv show, and another attempt at the Haunted Mansion, this time by allowing horror-meister Guillermo del Toro a good crack at it.

If you want to create another Pirates of the Caribbean, you have to start with a Pirates of the Caribbean somewhere. But Iger won't even consider it.
Also, the talks about a Jungle Cruise movie with Tom Hanks and Tim Allen

The Thunder Mountain show's pilot was shot, but ABC rejected it. Who knows, maybe that comic Marvel is doing might lead to some reconsideration of the concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom