A Spirited Perfect Ten

JimboJones123

The Disney vision of Blue Ocean was to stop building attractions, ignore the competition, and instead spend the money on Magic Bands and a new Fastpass system - something guests didn't know they wanted - very Blue ocean.

I question whether it's that genius a move really, as just because a guest didn't know they wanted it doesn't mean they'll rush to spend more money because of it, not any more than had they followed a traditional business model of building new attractions.

Blue ocean works if the public want that new thing, like a new circus or a new cruise line, but is it still great if all they do is try something nobody has much interest in, like MyMagic?
Well, we talk about there being no interest in Magic Bands and MyMagic+, but every single time one of my friends gets a package 3 weeks before their trip with Magic Bands in it, they post it on Facebook and dozens of other friends chime in about how exciting this new FastPass thing is.

It really is quite incredible how the masses just eat it up like it is the second coming.

I will keep my card AP every single time over a Magic Band. But when people are getting new technology with flashing swirling Mickey Head lights and a grand new graphic package on all their reservation paperwork, they cannot control their excitement.

Although ROI is about as horrid as anything ever, one cannot claim that it is doing wonders for branding. Plus, it is a free souvenir. People dig the perception of free.

PhotoDave219

I mean this in the nicest way but ...

No, no, no.

The Magic Kingdom needs nothing.

WDW needs 3 other theme parks that have so many exciting attractions that they actually draw people away from the Magic Kingdom.

WDW needs the "Cars Land Treatment Times Three". :D

MK can hold roughly 90-95k+ people. But not easily. And not where guests are comfortable.

When you have 80-125k people as guests at any given moment, its really REALLY bad when they all head to MK at once.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, we talk about there being no interest in Magic Bands and MyMagic+, but every single time one of my friends gets a package 3 weeks before their trip with Magic Bands in it, they post it on Facebook and dozens of other friends chime in about how exciting this new FastPass thing is.

It really is quite incredible how the masses just eat it up like it is the second coming.

I will keep my card AP every single time over a Magic Band. But when people are getting new technology with flashing swirling Mickey Head lights and a grand new graphic package on all their reservation paperwork, they cannot control their excitement.

Although ROI is about as horrid as anything ever, one cannot claim that it is doing wonders for branding. Plus, it is a free souvenir. People dig the perception of free.

True - They are less amused when they come back though...

Cesar R M

Sure!

Shanghai Disneyland's budget was increased by $800 million to add a bunch of exciting, new attractions. ;)
800 millions... in shangai....
agAvbDf.gif

yeah..new attractions..riiiiiiight.

Cesar R M

pvfPtFn.jpg

if you ask anyone about their trip to WDW or Disneyland.. they will say they're excited..
even if it was a credit card, a paper fastpass or a magicband.

MK can hold roughly 90-95k+ people. But not easily. And not where guests are comfortable.

When you have 80-125k people as guests at any given moment, its really REALLY bad when they all head to MK at once.

I still wonder why there is no blackout dates on the park hopper.

wogwog

The keyword is "perception". Put it in the same pile as free Magical Express from MCO.

TalkingHead

No, no, no.

WDW needs 3 other theme parks that have so many exciting attractions that they actually draw people away from the Magic Kingdom.

Agreed that those expansions would help balance the parks.

But realistically, how long would it take WDW to bring Epcot, MGM, and DAK up to snuff? Let's say 2025, just to be conservative.

By that time, MK will have gone 33 years since its last true E-ticket Splash Mountain opened. I won't be spending $199/day to hang out in that park.

Whoever steps in to runs the parks after Iger's reign is going to have some tough decisions to make. When the history books are written about WDW, it wouldn't surprise me if this last ten years are viewed as the "What the (heck) were they thinking?" years.

Disneyhead'71

New Fantasyland and Magicband/Fastpass+ were both under construction/design I'm sure at the same time in some ways so to say they "stopped building attractions" to concentrate on the bands does not hold water. Many things were undergoing design/refurb/construction while MB/FP+ were being initiated. Just because a new E-ticket or even "D-ticket" doesn't open every year doesn't mean Disney has stopped caring.
The last E Ticket to open anywhere at WDW was 9 years ago. 23 years for the MK. 9 years for 4 parks and 23 years for their flagship park is.......AWESOME!

As a share holder, I LOVE IT! Now, if you're one of those people that goes to amusement parks, you could probably find some way to put a negative spin on that fact.

Nubs70

Whoever steps in to runs the parks after Iger's reign is going to have some tough decisions to make. When the history books are written about WDW, it wouldn't surprise me if this last ten years are viewed as the "What the (heck) were they thinking?" years.
Kind of like when I see a picture of myself sporting a rather impressive (at the time) mullet. Have you ever try to explain a mullet to your children?

PhotoDave219

they added one (mine train) and removed another (snow white).. isnt the net gain 0?
Mermaid. But we lost 2KLUTS. So the net gain really is Zero.

Edit: No matter how many people Celebration Place hires with doctorates in Twitter, there are plenty with very long memories that are more than willing to put their actions into the proper context.

2KLUTS went away in 1994. Took ten years for the attraction to be removed and the land to even be rehabbed for "future expansion." (2004/5). We also lost the Diamond Horseshoe Review Show. (Minus two). Mike Fink's Keel Boats (Minus three). Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Minus Four). The Skyway (Minus five).

Flash forward to present time. We add Mermaid. (net minus 4). We take away SWSA. Replace it with 7DMT. Still at Minus 4. We take the Belle M&G and move it from Storytime with Belle to the Enchanted tales with Belle. Technically an experience rather than an attraction but still. It was replaced by a Merida M&G so thats a gain of one there so we're at a net of minus three attractions since 1994. Everything else that is new (Philharmagic, Stitch, MILF, Buzz) are all replacements of existing attractions or utilizing existing space.

None of them what I would consider an "E Ticket."

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Agreed that those expansions would help balance the parks.

But realistically, how long would it take WDW to bring Epcot, MGM, and DAK up to snuff? Let's say 2025, just to be conservative.

By that time, MK will have gone 33 years since its last true E-ticket Splash Mountain opened. I won't be spending $199/day to hang out in that park.

The thing is, even without a true E-ticket in recent memory, MK is a complete park.

The other three need too much work to focus on MK again soon. They aren't, in my opinion, worth the admission cost of a middle-of-the-road Cedar Fair Park.

RSoxNo1

No, no, no.

The Magic Kingdom needs capacity in conjunction with the additions to the other parks. People aren't going to spend less time in MK when the additions come down the pipeline. The Magic Kingdom doesn't get skipped by tourists. New Fantasyland was originally sold as a capacity increase but it increased attendance as well, as such, the park is still in need of a capacity boost.

Mike S

No you didn't. Space Mountain and the PeopleMover as concepts shouldn't go away, but it doesn't mean that they don't need major overhauls. The only thing in Space Mountain that should stay is the building.
I completely agree. I guess we just define "safe" differently. A much needed upgrade to an existing ride doesn't really scream "not safe" to me. Not safe would be the ride getting torn down and replaced. Just a simple misunderstanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom