A Spirited Perfect Ten

DDLand

Hmmn ... I don't think trying to defend myself is the proper way to go here. So would you settle for an explanation?

20+ years ago, I was in a very bad place. I couldn't get work as a writer. I couldn't provide for my wife and child. My marriage was imploding. Which is why Michelle was going to take our daughter 6000 miles away back to her family in Hawaii. And given the extremely tough financial straits we were in at that time ... It was highly doubtful that I'd ever get to see Alice again.

So during this bleak, dark period, I did some incredibly stupid, self destructive things because I felt like such a failure as a husband and a father. To be honest, I guess I was looking to get caught because I wanted to be punished. Which explains the info that got posted on this forum earlier tonight.

Now let me tell you the weird part: Being sent to the Orange County lock-up for 49 days was honestly the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It pulled me out of that self destructive spiral. It gave me time to get some real perspective on who I was and what I'd been doing. More to the point, in between when I was initially detained and when I finally did my time was when I first met Nancy. She came into my life when I was at my absolute lowest (Michelle had taken Alice back to Hawaii by then). And she honestly helped me turn this whole horrible situation around. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have the life that I have today. Or the career that I have. Or the close relationship that I now enjoy with my daughter.

So again -- in a weird sort of way -- whoever it is who actually posted this info online, thank you. This issue has been hanging over my head for 20+ years at this point. And given the way the Web works, I'm honestly kind of surprised that it took this long for this skeleton to finally come out of the closet.

But know this: That's not the man I am now. I freely admit that this is something that I did in the past. But I paid my debt to society and have worked hard since then to turn my life & reputation around.

And that's pretty much all I have to say. Other than the people who knew me back during my self-destructive-dumb-***-in-Orlando days who are still my friends today are the folks that I absolutely treasure.
Eloquent and sincere.

I think any further conversation about this can (and should) be dropped. This happened literally before I was born. Especially with the info above, I don't see how it's really a productive critique of WDC or their business practices.

fabdisbabe

I'm Jim's ex, Shelly Valladolid. I'm puzzled at this because I was always under the impression that it wasn't a big secret or anything. I was president of the local NFFC chapter during all of this. Everyone knew. Jim's right about Nancy. She really helped him become what he wanted - a writer. I always regretted that I wasn't strong enough to do that at the time, but I'm really proud of Jim. That's why I started Jim Hill Media. He's a good friend and a great dad to our daughter.
And as for the outrage over him being invited to cover events....jelly much?

Bolna

While I appreciate that Mr Hill was able to turn his life around (and I am happy about that, far too few are able to do that in similar situations as jails in general more often have the opposite effect), I don't think that is really the point here. I really could not care less about a stranger's criminal records.

The only interest for me as a Disney fan here is really what does Disney think by having a business relationship with him?

I still think that @SirNim's post very early on in the discussion was great in pointing out the obvious answers:

That's the million dollar question, and pursuing this line of questioning leads to certain possibilities: 1) the tentacles of the behemoth kraken not in coordination with each other (the "Whoops! We're inept" theory - just like the government), 2) the "Yes we know, but we believe that to forgive is divine" route (though the doling out of reputation and favors doesn't make sense in an industry as cutthroat and opportunistic as entertainment/theme parks, perhaps second only to politics, when these arrest records are publicly accessible and can call into question said company's judgment), and 3) the more sinister theory involving quid pro quo maneuvers and other such shenanigans bordering on the morally questionable at best (which nobody is suggesting here).

To me we are still not any closer to any clarity here.

the.dreamfinder

Hmmn ... I don't think trying to defend myself is the proper way to go here. So would you settle for an explanation?

20+ years ago, I was in a very bad place. I couldn't get work as a writer. I couldn't provide for my wife and child. My marriage was imploding. Which is why Michelle was going to take our daughter 6000 miles away back to her family in Hawaii. And given the extremely tough financial straits we were in at that time ... It was highly doubtful that I'd ever get to see Alice again.

So during this bleak, dark period, I did some incredibly stupid, self destructive things because I felt like such a failure as a husband and a father. To be honest, I guess I was looking to get caught because I wanted to be punished. Which explains the info that got posted on this forum earlier tonight.

Now let me tell you the weird part: Being sent to the Orange County lock-up for 49 days was honestly the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It pulled me out of that self destructive spiral. It gave me time to get some real perspective on who I was and what I'd been doing. More to the point, in between when I was initially detained and when I finally did my time was when I first met Nancy. She came into my life when I was at my absolute lowest (Michelle had taken Alice back to Hawaii by then). And she honestly helped me turn this whole horrible situation around. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have the life that I have today. Or the career that I have. Or the close relationship that I now enjoy with my daughter.

So again -- in a weird sort of way -- whoever it is who actually posted this info online, thank you. This issue has been hanging over my head for 20+ years at this point. And given the way the Web works, I'm honestly kind of surprised that it took this long for this skeleton to finally come out of the closet.

But know this: That's not the man I am now. I freely admit that this is something that I did in the past. But I paid my debt to society and have worked hard since then to turn my life & reputation around.

And that's pretty much all I have to say. Other than the people who knew me back during my self-destructive-dumb-***-in-Orlando days who are still my friends today are the folks that I absolutely treasure.
Some Questions:
  1. Did your present employers, The Huffington Post and Touring Plans/Unofficial Guide, know about what had happened at WDW in 95 and 96 before hiring you? And for that matter did D23 or any of Disney arms with which you have worked alongside over the years know? To put it another way, did you tell these parties about what had happened?
  2. Depending on how you answer the previous question; why should we trust you?

jakeman

Couldn't care less what you did 20 years ago, but would be interested in your motivations and expectations working with TWDC now.
Probably to get paid covering a topic that is of interest to him.

The only interest for me as a Disney fan here is really what does Disney think by having a business relationship with him?
Disney either doesn't know (and probably does now, or will shortly) or feels the current relationship outweighs the past crimes.

Some Questions:
  1. Did your present employers, The Huffington Post and Touring Plans/Unofficial Guide, know about what had happened at WDW in 95 and 96 before hiring you? And for that matter did D23 or any of Disney arms with which you have worked alongside over the years know? To put it another way, did you tell these parties about what had happened?
  2. Depending on how you answer the previous question; why should we trust you?
I'm not standing up for Jim Hill or Disney, but me personally, I'd tell you to get bent with these questions.

WildcatDen

I think the main point of contention is that it is extremely unusual for a corporation to partner with someone that have previously prosecuted.
Not prosecuted, I know, but it would be kinda like the NFL using someone they sued in helping promote the product. Or better still, having that individual promote the product via social media. That would never happen. . .

Eoghann

2 - Nobody "dug it up." It's public record. Been sitting out there for years. The person who brought it to my attention is/was a Disney CM who has had ''interactions'' with Jim dating back many years. They have been shocked by the way Disney (and Universal, to a lesser degree) seem to value him. They only decided to give this stuff to me because they said over the last year or so, Jim has become ''unbearable'' to deal with. "He thinks we owe him the world" and acts like Bob Iger ''who likely has never heard of him'' is his golfing buddy.

Translation... some anonymous person wants to get back at this man for unspecified slights and decides the best way to do that is to make sure that some embarrassing details about his past are spread widely.

Real classy.

PhotoDave219

I'm Jim's ex, Shelly Valladolid. I'm puzzled at this because I was always under the impression that it wasn't a big secret or anything. I was president of the local NFFC chapter during all of this. Everyone knew. Jim's right about Nancy. She really helped him become what he wanted - a writer. I always regretted that I wasn't strong enough to do that at the time, but I'm really proud of Jim. That's why I started Jim Hill Media. He's a good friend and a great dad to our daughter.
And as for the outrage over him being invited to cover events....jelly much?

Jelly? Seriously?

I'm a contract photojournalist who has worked With multiple wire services and been publicized in Many international publications.

We have many media professionals through TV, newspapers, magazines that actively participate In this thread.

So am I jealous? Oh hell no....

jakeman

;) :p

the.dreamfinder

Not prosecuted, I know, but it would be kinda like the NFL using someone they sued in helping promote the product. Or better still, having that individual promote the product via social media. That would never happen. . .
We don't know what WDW's reaction to this was back then. But remember that he did assault a Cast Member.

the.dreamfinder

To folks like Len Testa at Unofficial Guide/Touring Plans, Jeremy Epstein at D23, and whoever Jim reports to at HuffPo, this is not a laughing matter. The questions I posed to Jim are important because as much as it is important to forgive people for past misdeeds, lying or not being forthright to your employers, especially when said incidents involve the company which Jim covers for them, cannot be absolved so easily. Jim didn't need to confirm what Lee put out because we have the Orange County arrest records. However the central question, one which is in some ways bigger than Jim's past misdeeds, remains; does Disney vet the individuals in Social Media whom they give a great deal of access and generous perks to, from Lou, Ricky and Jim on down to the mommy bloggers, any meaningful amout of scrutiny?

jakeman

To folks like Len Testa at Unofficial Guide/Touring Plans, Jeremy Epstein at D23, and whoever Jim reports to at HuffPo, this is not a laughing matter.
Pretty sure you don't speak for them.

The questions I posed to Jim are important because as much as it is important to forgive people for past misdeeds, lying or not being forthright to your employers, especially when said incidents involve the company which Jim covers for them, cannot be absolved so easily.
They are questions that should be asked by his employers not a faceless name on a message board. This really isn't your matter.

Jim didn't need to confirm what Lee put out because we have the Orange County arrest records. However the central question, one which is in some ways bigger than Jim's past misdeeds, remains; does Disney vet the individuals in Social Media whom they give a great deal of access and generous perks to, from Lou, Ricky and Jim on down to the mommy bloggers, any meaningful amout of scrutiny?
Disney isn't going to supply you with the answer, so you have to take the word of any Social Media person that is willing to talk about it.

Lee

Adventurer
Since I started all this, I should probably chime in here.

First, I applaud Jim for coming in and giving his side of the story. Gutsy move. I wonder if, had this not come out, would he have ever opened up abut it?

Second, as I have stated numerous times, this was about a lot more than just Jim and his past transgressions.
It was not meant to be seen as a "hit piece." Every interaction I've had with Jim over the year has been a pleasant one.
This is about Disney's curious relationship to the lifestyler/blogger corps. Jim was merely an example that was served up to me.

As other posters have stated above, some central questions remain:
-Who at today's Disney knew? Did Celebration Place know? Did D23? Universal? HuffPo?
-If they did know, do they care?
-Knowing now, how will that effect their (and Universal's, and Huffington Post's) relationship with Jim? Keeping them in the dark for 20 years could be a problem.
-Will it effect how they vet "media" from now on? Odds are, there are more (possibly even more troubling) secrets lurking out there.
-Does the perceived value to them outweigh the potential negatives?
-What effect does this have on Jim's credibility? How many readers will now have an extra "filter" when reading his stuff?

Magenta Panther

Life isn't easy or perfect, and nobody gets an instruction manual. Good on you, Jim, for turning your life around. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom