A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

As somebody who studies statistics, I would like to know your sources of your information. Graphs are pointless and potentially misleading if there aren't sources to back you up. Anybody can post a random graph with some nonsense and people will believe it because...it's a graph. See...I can do it, too!:)

image004.gif

Rule number 1 in statistics: Cite your sources, or else your information is pointless
hah
reminds me that simpsons episode, where an alien was using stadistics to prove he's not lying and he's totally not alien.

DisDan

For some reason this quote comes to mind.

"Private, Dibble me" -Skipper

Quote was from non-Disney IP....but I love those Penguins. More importantly, my kids love them too.

Progress.City

The Tron coaster for SDL was approved and put into the pipeline before the film even came out. I wouldn't use its existence as proof that Disney is going to stick with a franchise that looks better as a themed environment than as a film making/ storytelling device.

And there were plans for Tron attractions in Anaheim and Orlando ...very briefly. They are dead.
Dang those budget line murderers!

Last edited:

BrerJon

Not academic standards. This guy takes his time creating a graph...and really can't spend an extra couple of minutes incorporating that in his post? Really...? Sources are what make stuff believable. I see it on every post here where people aren't making rumours unless they have a source claiming their rumour.

It' s so funny that you're trying to debunk ParentsOf4 for not having accurate facts when he's the king of killer facts that have demolished many spurious arguments on these forums over the years.

I don't know if you work for Disney or not, I'm assuming you do, but maybe if company employees spent more time trying to improve things for guests, instead of trying to discredit those who point out areas where things could be improved, there wouldn't be any need for the company or its defenders to get defensive in the first place.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think we've wasted enough time on this.

@ParentsOf4 posted that the source of the particular graph in question is publicly available SEC files and a link to the company website. You can go to each year's 10K and check the numbers if you don't believe him. If that's not good enough then I guess he will have to learn to live with the disappointment that someone finds his graph unbelievable.

Anyone had any good cheesesteaks lately? I hear Jim's is good:)

Geno's ALWAYS

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not academic standards. This guy takes his time creating a graph...and really can't spend an extra couple of minutes incorporating that in his post? Really...? Sources are what make stuff believable. I see it on every post here where people aren't making rumours unless they have a source claiming their rumour.

You jumped into a conversation midstream and are asking everyone to go back to the start because you arrived late. Instead of thinking of things like they are random pieces of paper... Understand a discussion forum is a long branching conversation between parties with histories.

spacemt354

Chili's
It' s so funny that you're trying to debunk ParentsOf4 for not having accurate facts when he's the king of killer facts that have demolished many spurious arguments on these forums over the years.

I don't know if you work for Disney or not, I'm assuming you do, but maybe if company employees spent more time trying to improve things for guests, instead of trying to discredit those who point out areas where things could be improved, there wouldn't be any need for the company or its defenders to get defensive in the first place.
Seriously? Instead of jumping on the troll/disney employee bandwagon why don't you actually read what happened.

Nobody's trying to discredit PO4. However that can't happen because if anyone suggests something or questions a statistic of his, it seems like people go nuts.

Should the member have looked up some prior posts of his? Possibly. However the conversation was over 6 pages ago and has only dragged on because people need to add their two cents in and jump on the member's decisions so everyone can increase their "like" count.

It's the next day and we are still talking about this?

71jason

So this pertains to the social media conversations that have been a mainstay of Spirit's threads for many years now.

The Harry Potter Celebration is taking place at Universal this weekend. Apparently Universal held a social media "contest" for access to an after-hours "social media event" that's taking place in Diagon Alley. It includes general publicity stuff: meet and greets with the film talent that was brought in for the weekend, free food, etc.

So my question (maybe someone like @71jason knows): was this event included in the vacation packages that Universal was selling for the Potter Celebration, or was this a social-media-only event?

No clue, but not my thing. Deliberately avoiding Uni this weekend.

Cesar R M

Interesting they call it "celebration" at Uni.
Because there is a convention at WDW and Uni related to Cochlear implants.
Its called "Coclear Celebration" (they will have a 1 private night at Harry Potter Hogsmeade and the Castle)

Goofyernmost

So the opposite of what it meant in the mid nineties? I'm glad I got out of the game.
Well, there was a reason for that. The nineties didn't have the numbers of entitled people running loose that there is today. Now if anybody, not just Disney, goes the extra mile and does something that isn't a normal way of doing business, it becomes something that everyone expects. Due to social media, the word gets out that somebody got something that others didn't and all of a sudden it becomes a 'you have to do this for me too' thing. Regardless of the circumstances.

Society has changed what was once a wonderful way of doing business. It can no longer happen that way because of what I just mentioned. It goes from doing a little extra on a selective basis to a total nightmare. All those guys, especially Walt, did not have to deal with the "I demand more's" of today. Everything has to be brought down to the lowest common denominator now. Doing something extra is a direct line to being accused of special treatment and discrimination charges.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, there was a reason for that. The nineties didn't have the numbers of entitled people running loose that there is today. Now if anybody, not just Disney, goes the extra mile and does something that isn't a normal way of doing business, it becomes something that everyone expects. Due to social media, the word gets out that somebody got something that others didn't and all of a sudden it becomes an expected thing. Regardless of the circumstances.

Society has changed what was once a wonderful way of doing business. It can no longer happen that way because of what I just mentioned. It goes from doing a little extra on a selective basis to a total nightmare. All those guys, especially Walt, did not have to deal with the "I demand more's" of today. Everything has to be brought down to the lowest common denominator now. Doing something extra is a direct line to being accused of special treatment and discrimination charges.
The issues with GAC abuse are a good example of this. For years the system worked with limited abuse, but once the word got out the flood gates opened.

Goofyernmost

Such a shame it was never built!
Even if it had been built, by now it would be listed on discussion boards as boring and lame and no where near thrilling enough to keep anyone's interest. And I won't even go into the uproar that would be currently created by the way that the American Indian is depicted. So probably better that it never saw the light of day or it would be just another extinct attraction as we speak. Can't really miss what we never had.

TalkingHead

Wise decision. We'd considered going but glad we didn't.

Evidently the autograph line this morning was mass chaos. People who showed up at 4:00 AM for the 7:30 ticket distribution didn't get tickets. Sounds like there was no crowd control, too, in CityWalk. (Really? I think Universal can expect large insane Potter crowds and prepare for them. Or, no, maybe Uni can't.)

I found it funny that there were plenty of complaints on Twitter but the official Uni account was only acknowledging the positive messages. Social media at its finest.

Speaking of social media, it's good to see that all of the usual suspects from the Disney events were there at the Potter event last night. Nothing like pampering the bloggers and giving a bad experience to the paying customers.

If Universal knew that the autograph tickers were going to be so limited, then they should have sold them as an upcharge or included it in the hotel packages. Because advertising something that is nearly impossible to experience as a day guest is really shady.

Kinda reminds me of when Amazon offers those Lightening Deals on Black Friday that are sold out two seconds after they go live. That's not an offer to your customer. That's a crapshoot. And without good crowd control, that's awful guest service.

Disneyhead'71

Evidently the autograph line this morning was mass chaos. People who showed up at 4:00 AM for the 7:30 ticket distribution didn't get tickets. Sounds like there was no crowd control, too, in CityWalk. (Really? I think Universal can expect large insane Potter crowds and prepare for them. Or, no, maybe Uni can't.)

I found it funny that there were plenty of complaints on Twitter but the official Uni account was only acknowledging the positive messages. Social media at its finest.

Speaking of social media, it's good to see that all of the usual suspects from the Disney events were there at the Potter event last night. Nothing like pampering the bloggers and giving a bad experience to the paying customers.

If Universal knew that the autograph tickers were going to be so limited, then they should have sold them as an upcharge or included it in the hotel packages. Because advertising something that is nearly impossible to experience as a day guest is really shady.

Kinda reminds me of when Amazon offers those Lightening Deals on Black Friday that are sold out two seconds after they go live. That's not an offer to your customer. That's a crapshoot. And without good crowd control, that's awful guest service.
Or the M&G lines during the Unleash the Villians up charge event.

71jason

Meeting B and C-list celebs anywhere outside of a bar holds zero-point-zero appeal to me.

But ... but ... lifestylers only like things once Disney has bought them!!!

I realize my earlier posts probably hit way too close to home for most of the people on here, but the love of Disney/Potter/Star Wars/Dr. Who is more often than not mutually inclusive and is a sign of arrested adolescence in a lot of Gen Xers and Gen Yers.

Are you sure package holders didn't get preferential treatment? Never really looked into it, but would be surprised if they didn't. Not to mention hella ed if I bought a package and didn't get autographs. I thought they made it pretty clear day guests go to the back of the line--the fact people lined up at 4 am shows they knew this--so you get what you get. Also, I hope by "day guest" you know we mean "Annual Passholders" who probably do the same thing at SWW.

TalkingHead

Or the M&G lines during the Unleash the Villians up charge event.

Either way, be straight with your customers. Disney's problem was they over$old the event.

Universal could restrict the number of tickets sold for the autograph thing. Guests would know going into the Celebration whether they will get into the autograph session, and Uni would decrease the number of disappointed guests.

I don't understand why WDW and Uni struggle with these events. Out-of-touch management? Nah, couldn't be that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom