A Spirited Perfect Ten

truecoat

Remember, thats Infrastructure as well. $3.5 overall, $2.8 DHS & Infrastructure, 350 ea MK/EP.

Roughly.

True but they would be getting a lot less than DCA's 1.2 Billion with that lineup. 5 or 6 carnival rides (I am a defender of off the shelf by the way), 1 D ticket and 1 E ticket. Doesn't really sound like 2.whatever billion anything.

DCA had to tear up the whole front of the park including adding the Trolley tracks, build a football field platform with a nightmare of wiring and tubes that sit underwater, repurpose parts of old buildings and build Carsland plus the BA water tank behind it. Oh, forgot about the parade and Trolley car buildings. Oh yeah, the series of office buildings behind the TOT. That's just off the top of my head.

Why do I know this? Is this normal?

the.dreamfinder

Something to keep in mind when discussing the DCA redo: Toy Story Midway Mania and World of Color were greenlit prior to DCA 2.0.
The $1.2 Billion figure is only for Cars Land, Buena Vista St., Mermaid, and Paradise Pier placemaking/refurbs like Silly Symphony Swings, Goofy's Sky School and Paradise Gardens.

truecoat

Something to keep in mind when discussing the DCA redo: Toy Story Midway Mania and World of Color were greenlit prior to DCA 2.0.
The $1.2 Billion figure is only for Cars Land, Buena Vista St., Mermaid, and Paradise Pier placemaking/refurbs like Silly Symphony Swings, Goofy's Sky School and Paradise Gardens.

I knew about TSMM but forgot about WOC. GlowFest must factor in there somewhere also ;).

BrianLo

Yes, what I figure is the DHS will be pretty in line with what people associate as the "total DCA redo", aka including WOC/TSMM. Instead of one headlining land, a small handful of place-making and supporting attractions DHS will get two headlining lands, a small handful of place-making, supporting attractions and infrastructure.

Sort of like 1.5x the total DCA redo. Expecting 2 or 3 times as much is probably setting oneself up for disappointment.

doctornick

So predictions coming in that the Minions are going to be the highest opening animated movie of all time based on the record breaking Thursday night. With that however, it does not have the critical acclaim of Inside Out which leads itself to a question for Disney. Would you rather have award winning films or the top animated film at the box office? And is Illuminations going to be Pixar's new competition

http://deadline.com/2015/07/minions-nab-6-2m-in-thursday-previews-box-office-1201472687/

I'm curious what kind of legs Minions will have. The reviews seem kinda negative, though it being a kids film that may not impact the box office much.

Animaniac93-98

I'm curious what kind of legs Minions will have. The reviews seem kinda negative, though it being a kids film that may not impact the box office much.

I suspect Minions will do just fine. Audiences are liking it better than critics and kids are more or less guaranteed to go nuts for it. The movie should also do well in foreign markets because of how little needs to be translated into other languages.

Goofywilliam

Once again Walt Disney Worlds Electrical Parade is put to shame! The updated Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights recently debuted and the additions look spectacular. One could only hope Disney World gets these upgrades one day, although I would think most of the parade floats would have to be completely replaced :rolleyes:

GiveMeTheMusic

Once again Walt Disney Worlds Electrical Parade is put to shame! The updated Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights recently debuted and the additions look spectacular. One could only hope Disney World gets these upgrades one day, although I would think most of the parade floats would have to be completely replaced :rolleyes:

They would have to be completely replaced. It would be a new build, and frankly, it's shameful that the supposed #1 theme park in the world is running such a worn-down relic. TDL once again shows how it's done. The new and newly refurbished units are gorgeous.

MerlinTheGoat

Dreamlights is a wonderful parade. And they keep plussing it ALL the time. I'm not even a fan of the MSEP soundtrack and this version of the parade still got me to like the music.

And to be fair, Dreamlights puts pretty much all other parades (at least light ones) to shame, it's not just WDW's MSEP that comes up short (though it's definitely in an embarrassing state). IMHO there is no question that it's by far the best night parade in the world, arguably ever made (I do love Spectromagic and still prefer its soundtrack to all others without a doubt, but Dreamlights' floats and lighting continue to impress).

And while I may get some backlash for this statement, i'm not a fan of Paint the Night and think it's very disappointing and of mixed quality from an execution perspective. Some of the float designs are to be fair very good, but others just feel bland. I'm aware that the lighting tech is impressive, but the execution is VERY inconsistent, bordering on poor. I also highly dislike the choice of music. The one thing i'm very positive about with PtN are the costume designs, they're fantastic. At this point, Dreamlights has lighting technology on many of the floats to match it and IMO surpass it from a creative and design perspective. And I prefer the design of the floats themselves (disregarding the lighting). But Dreamlights even before these upgrades destroys it. I'm also sure it will continue to be plussed as well, there are still a few floats that haven't been outfitted with the newer lighting tech.

If WDW ever gets a new night parade, I don't want another clone of Paint the Night. Something original would of course be preferred if done right, but if a clone had to happen then Dreamlights is the parade i'd want. Dreamlights is the standard to match or surpass for night parades.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Okay that parade is sick its so amazing. Unbelievable, they should be utterly embarassed here at this point.

BrianLo

And while I may get some backlash for this statement, i'm not a fan of Paint the Night and think it's very disappointing and of mixed quality from an execution perspective. Some of the float designs are to be fair very good, but others just feel bland. I'm aware that the lighting tech is impressive, but the execution is VERY inconsistent, bordering on poor. I also highly dislike the choice of music. The one thing i'm very positive about with PtN are the costume designs, they're fantastic. At this point, Dreamlights has lighting technology on many of the floats to match it and IMO surpass it from a creative and design perspective. And I prefer the design of the floats themselves (disregarding the lighting). But Dreamlights even before these upgrades destroys it. I'm also sure it will continue to be plussed as well, there are still a few floats that haven't been outfitted with the newer lighting tech.

I really liked PTN, but I personally really enjoyed the soundtrack and that makes for a big difference in impressions I'm sure. Steve Davidson seems to go all out with big show stopper units, and for the most part the large floats are quite impressive, but I think some of the intimacy of the smaller units is lost (and certainly Dreamlights is more filled out than PTN). I don't think the version of Dreamlights I saw in 2013 was quite as good as PTN, but that's mostly because you could clearly tell some floats were far newer than others. Genie was the worst for really making 3/4 of the parade seem outdated.

That said, now dreamlights is the obvious winner. This update is brilliant and they really fixed up everything that needed it. I think the most obvious thing Dreamlights has that puts it above PTN is a proper finale. I find PTN (while the Mickey unit is very cool to see) just sort ends on a bit of a whimper. The 4 unit Small World "finale" is perfect! Also if I'm not mistaken they added a unit there too.

Electrical Parade is just so sadly out of date its painful. Tokyo's Nightfall glow (the shortened rainy day parade they run if Dreamlights has to be cancelled) may be better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not Armchair Imagineering. It's from an 'insider' over at MiceChat.

I'm just bringing up something from MiceChat, who says he knows the plan for DHS, and posting it here. I wanted to see if there was validity.

I'm more on-topic than any of you since I'm actually discussing the parks. You're all discussing ESPN and other loosely-connected-to-Disney stuff. This is a WDW forum, after all.

1- cite and credit ppl if you are going to copy someone
2- Micechat is not a who.. Plz be more clear
3- goofy Donald is anything BUT an insider so you should really get more insight before running with someone else's words

Cardinals314

Since I have Shula's steak waiting on me and I like to eat, I'll let today's Shanghai Surprise speak for itself.

Enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/576475332373075/videos/962941707059767/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video
Well we pretty much know what's going to be in the park since @WDW1974 has already told us the list of attractions for a while now. It will be interesting to see more of the conceptual art of the park and possibly the current progress on the actual construction. I wonder if they will ever say that they will have to move the grand opening date?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom