A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

cdd89

DisneyTown is struggling and tenants are not making enough RMB to cover their onerous lease agreements
This doesn't surprise me - when I visited, all the 'western' food restaurants were practically empty, with Wolfgang Puck desperately cobbling together a special Asian menu to try and draw in the punters. More concerning though, it was a complete ghost town during the day, on a day when the parks themselves were packed.

Seeing Buzz and Woody standing around doing nothing at the Toy Story Hotel (the M&G opportunity) was also bizarre - I have never seen anything like it anywhere, even at DL where character fandom is relatively low. I wasn't sure whether to ascribe this to the hotels being vastly underpopulated, or a Chinese mentality to get every second of value out of their Park tickets as possible.

More interesting is the determination of SDL to hide its serious operational issues from those outside the resort. My visit saw POTC down for two days running, TRON suffering from serious problems reducing it to one loading area for much of the period, and most bizarrely issues with peeling paint and rotting wood in the Winnie the Pooh queue line, indicative of rushed initial construction. I had a good time, but I don't think that was the case for most visitors.

Speaking of Star Wars, DLP throwing the damn overlay onto Space Mountain there ... just ... ya know ... cause ...
I saw this at HKDL, and was seriously unimpressed. The most feeble of overlays, and seemingly permanent. Also, Stitch Encounter (arguably an innovative attraction) has been replaced with a Chewy M&G - I didn't bother going inside, but what a waste of technology. The remaining 'Space Mountain' elements looked completely out of place (and very recognisable). Given how intricately DLP's SM is themed (to the original theme), it'll be even more disappointing there.

Animaniac93-98

You can't slap Star Wars onto a ride who's entire aesthetic, including its track layout, is based on a specific work of 19th century fiction. There's a reason why Star Tours was built at the far end of Discoveryland, behind most of the other buildings. The two simply don't go together, no matter how much marketing or other corporate brand advocates think they can.

I'm also worried DLP's upcoming Illuminations show (that will replace Dreams) will feel too much like a show designed by committiee with the main goal of checking off a list of "must have" IPs. My guess is it won't have Hunchback of Notre Dame in it.

The_Jobu

Tiffins isn't doing very well at DAK, except for no life lifestylers with too much disability money to spend. A shame as it is a beautiful facility. The menu price points just don't work and it has no crazy reputation like Le Cellier, which somehow can get by with $52 a la carte steaks in a theme park. Drinks at Nomad are also too weak.

I did notice that the more adventurous stuff was already quietly removed from the menu.

VJ

I'm also worried DLP's upcoming Illuminations show (that will replace Dreams) will feel too much like a show designed by committiee with the main goal of checking off a list of "must have" IPs. My guess is it won't have Hunchback of Notre Dame in it.
I'm expecting something along the lines of Ignite the Dream. The description and IP listed in the press release sort of gave me that feeling.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yeah... that was what I was hoping it wouldn't be, but the description doesn't leave much doubt. Creative Entertainment doesn't really know how to do different and new stuff anymore and it makes me sad.

In this instance, I would be willing to bet the issue is budget. A brand new show would cost a lot more than porting Shanghai's, and DLP's 25th is clearly not some massive blowout.

rael ramone

Tiffins isn't doing very well at DAK, except for no life lifestylers with too much disability money to spend. A shame as it is a beautiful facility. The menu price points just don't work and it has no crazy reputation like Le Cellier, which somehow can get by with $52 a la carte steaks in a theme park. Drinks at Nomad are also too weak.

On one hand, I found Tiffin's to be fantastic (with the exception of the 'new thing' in dining design, both inside & outside the bubble, of installing uncomfortable bench seats. I had to eat with my back to the great looking dining room). On the other hand, as I was there I was wondering if items like pomegranate molasses/olive oil drizzle for the house bread or house made head cheese would be appreciated by guests that think it's OK to fling hairbands at the top of Everest...

MKCP 1985

Tony may be 'retired', but he is more active then ever now since switching to a part time role.
I think many here would be very surprised to realize just how active he is today.

Contrary to popular belief, he is still very much a employee of the Disney Company and actively partakes in various tasks.
He is quite a busy man these days ...even more so then when he was working full time for WDI.

So although it may appear that he may have 'been so far under the radar' since his departure from his full time position a few years ago, trust me when I say he is still VERY active....and I'm not talking about golfing or cruises like some people his age are typically doing!
;)

He is a busy boy with a calendar full of activities far and near.
This may be why you have yet to receive a response to your request regarding that event appearance.
Don't take his non-response personally, it may just be a case of him not receiving your message.

Speaking from my own personal experiences over the last few years, Tony is a entertaining and very generous man who enjoys conversing with and sharing his passion for the Theme Parks with others.
For someone with his talent and 'celebrity' status within the Theme Park fan community, he is modest and grounded.
I have never seen any evidence of anything otherwise.
He is kind, driven, and definitely has some strong opinions about various matters....several of which we have talked about here on this Forum.

His passion for Disneyland and themed entertainment in general are second to none.
He is a workaholic in some respects because of it, and devotes a LOT of his time to sharing that interest and passion with others.
It comes at a price however, for someone almost 70 years old now...but who is indeed eternally 10..!
:)

So to answer your inquiry, he is doing well.
He is active, in good health, and still has a marvelous and keen insight into what 'works' as far as themed entertainment goes.
He totally 'gets it' on so many levels.
Listening to him explain the 'whys' behind it all is a fascinating insight into how clearly he does understand the principles of staging unique entertainment experiences.
He's a great guy who has done a lot of good, and continues to do so.

And yes, he still wants to write that book of his that everyone has been waiting for!
Pay no mind to that thin little one released last year...unless you want to read a book 'about Tony Baxter' instead of one written 'BY Tony Baxter'.

I know which one I'm waiting to read.....
:cool:

-
I hope and trust everything you say is true. It was my experience earlier this year that he was not easy to contact and even people within the company with access could not reach him. He is a true Disney treasure and I wish him all the best.

mickeyfan5534

It sounds like it's going to be almost a direct copy.
Doubtful for a direct copy but a couple scenes? Yeah probably. At least one scene will be new with the live action Beauty and the Beast given a direct shout out in the press release. I'm expecting some Peter Pan to make use of the Second Star and probably one more animated IP to round out the show.

VJ

In this instance, I would be willing to bet the issue is budget. A brand new show would cost a lot more than porting Shanghai's, and DLP's 25th is clearly not some massive blowout.
That would make sense, actually. Wonder if Steve Davison is behind the new show/parade.

rael ramone

Ordinarily I would agree with you but the reality is that Catmull/Lasseter/Perlmutter have voting stock and as such a say in the business, The Lucasfilm unit was an 'all cash' deal to PREVENT Lucasfilm executives from having any meaningful power at the board level through their stock holdings.

So yes Lucasfilm was purchased lock stock and barrel by Disney and as such is merely a BRAND because the executives have no financial power over the BoD.

I thought Lucas came away from the deal being the 2nd largest holder of $DIS (behind the Jobs Trust). Though he may have liquidated it - if not, he doesn't appear to be an 'activist' investor if he still holds...

I think the biggest reason that $DIS seems to have Lucasfilm on the shortest leash is, as of this moment, the current $DIS Star War Franchise consists of 1 film and 1 TV show (along with the new novels, etc). They believe that Ep 3.95 needs to hit it out of the park, and the Hollywood Way as it's currently understood in the industry is for the Corner Office to step on the Creatives and get the film to cater to the demographics... And unlike Marvel (with TV MCU that acknowledges the films, the Film MCU that pretends the TV shows don't exist, the animated cartoons, and the funny books), Star Wars has one, and only one, Universe. (Unless you want to call that Lego stuff a different universe)...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought Lucas came away from the deal being the 2nd largest holder of $DIS (behind the Jobs Trust). Though he may have liquidated it - if not, he doesn't appear to be an 'activist' investor if he still holds...

I think the biggest reason that $DIS seems to have Lucasfilm on the shortest leash is, as of this moment, the current $DIS Star War Franchise consists of 1 film and 1 TV show (along with the new novels, etc). They believe that Ep 3.95 needs to hit it out of the park, and the Hollywood Way as it's currently understood in the industry is for the Corner Office to step on the Creatives and get the film to cater to the demographics... And unlike Marvel (with TV MCU that acknowledges the films, the Film MCU that pretends the TV shows don't exist, the animated cartoons, and the funny books), Star Wars has one, and only one, Universe. (Unless you want to call that Lego stuff a different universe)...

The deal was 2.21 Billion in Cash and 37.5 Million disney shares on checking SEC records, But I don't think that includes voting rights or that little tiff over TFA would have gotten ugly.

brb1006

Agreed about the 3-D glasses on Forbidden Journey. I suffered through that garbage on Universal Studios Japan version and it adds NOTHING. Just another useless gimmick.

Escape From Gringott is one "3-D" ride where I don't even bother picking up glasses. The scenery is gorgeous and the ride system nice... So why exactly again did Thierry Coup and Co. at Universal Creative feel the need to darken and hide their nice work with 3D?

On the subject of Halloween in China, here is an amazing story: the ex entertainment director at Ocean Park created Halloween there in 2001. The syllables existed in Mandarin or Cantonese... But had no signification. He gave them a signification, created the concept and now, Ocean Park second best month attendance wise is October. I wrote articles about the park and got plenty of stories like that.

Beside Hong Kong, its starting to spread to Guangzhou and the area around. Chimelong Paradise tried last year an Halloween event and it was not bad to be honest. Funniest reaction: my local friend working her courage throughout the day and at the end asking to do a Maze... She kept hiding behind me and guess what? At the end, she did another maze!
I don't mind the 3D on Spider-Man but is it really necessary on the other Motion Simulator attractions?

brb1006

Spirited Late Night Musings:

So excited by the upcoming election that I can't sleep!

So, Andrew Kam was hired by Wang Jianlin, who is in the process of wining and dining the Hollywood elite (but I am reasonably certain not Willow Bay Iger's mealticket) right now with all sorts of huge incentives to come and film in the Chinese Mainland. One can only imagine what Wang sees in the former HKDL Managing Director, who truly loved Disney and his role ... and was replaced by EPCOT VP No. 1,321 Sam Lau.

Speaking of China, SDL continues to have 'teething pains' as one WDI type put it. Those pains are not limited to the park as DisneyTown is struggling and tenants are not making enough RMB to cover their onerous lease agreements. BTW, watch as this happens to Disney Springs in the year ahead. To show some goodwill, SDL has centered its first Halloween outside the park in the free shopping and dining zone. Of course, Halloween isn't really much of a thing in China to begin with (Hong Kong is a different animal).

I see folks trying to claim that Rogue One's reshoots were normal and typical. They weren't. And they stem straight from Bob Iger not liking the darker tone. ... Maybe he should have gotten Jar Jar and the Ewoks into this?

Speaking of Star Wars, DLP throwing the damn overlay onto Space Mountain there ... just ... ya know ... cause ...

Yes, I was stating that Pandora is delayed in my brief drive-by of a week ago.

A friend went to TDS today. He wasn't thrilled by Sindbad or its music. I may have to drop him as a friend. ... BTW, 150 minute standby waits for TSMM, which only goes to prove that many Japanese have bad taste in attractions as their American counterparts.

BTW, the next decade looks exceedingly bright for TDR as the OLC has an ambitious plan to both add new things and replace and renew some older.

You may hear, especially at good old Micechat (where Kevin Yee has made a return, a return to the Titanic, but one nonetheless) that TDA is thrilled and attendance is booming. And the resort certainly isn't hurting. But the additional of a strange DCA only seasonal pass (at an absurd price point) only available at Costco and the return to sales of the DL Southern California AP speaks volumes in the other direction. I can also say that I recently spent three days there (and a bit more at DD and the resorts) and I witnessed the slowest day at DL I have seen in over a decade and DCA crowds that made me remember what a busy day at 1.0 felt like. Yes, it was during a heat wave (but they happen all the time now with that liberal myth of global warming) and during the early days of Halloweentime (thankfully, DL has the tact and decency to not have upcharge parties on the Friday BEFORE Labor Day weekend).

Speaking of DL, remember when my buddy 'Retiree' Andy Castro bemoaned (rightfully so) the horrible look of the new Club 33 and the NoS work around there? Remember how WDI and Kim Irvine got blamed? Misplaced. It was an Ops project started by George Kalogridis and pushed forward by Michael Colglazier with no thought beyond making more money. WDI did all it could possibly do, but some of this crap is simply ordered by people above and Imagineers have a choice of doing the best they can or quitting.

Speaking of Imagineers, I love Joe Rohde. Always have. But seeing him (and to a lesser extent Bob Weis) place their political beliefs out on Twitter and Instagram and MySpace and Grindr puts a huge smile on my face. They can attack the Donald and not worry about Legal, yet Cupcake has to go through them for her posts about the latest dessert party! Oh, and wasn't Joe supposed to be fired months ago? I know I read that somewhere.

I realize that some people idolize Tony Baxter, and I believe he is a supremely talented creative and gets Disney Design better than most people alive. But if asked for one word to describe him it would be 'Narcissist.'

But that 20% AP discount is driving up F&B sales at WDW (not shocking considering that most Disney food is priced 25-50% too high).

Let's end this brief post back in China, where UNI continues to learn absolutely nothing from Disney's SDL experience and is making every mistake in the book, with a few extras thrown in for good measure.

OK, one more, since we're talking UNI, Hollywood's Potter and the FJ has 3D glasses. They not only don't add anything, they take away as they constantly are jostled on your face. A very bad idea.
Your friend wasn't even impressed by the amazing Animatronics on Sinbad?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom