A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

Arent they forced to act like that? I mean. I wouldn't be surprised if they get fired if they were "less than enthusiast" about blatantly lying to the customer about the new "offers" and "magical additions".
Most of the time when I have some kind of problem with MM+ some CMs aren't afraid to give me their opinion on it. My "technology; one step forward, two steps back" comments have gotten a few hearty agreements from WDW CMs.
I like to view it as an act of karma after his mistreatment of Mr. Baxter.

-
Sadly he kind of had to go. He was submerged far too long and started seeing Mermaids and Sea Serpents. The guy was madder than the Hatter.
New Finding Dory trailer is up

For some reason the trailer doesn't really excite me. I'm sure this movie will be loads better than The Good Dinosaur though. Can't be worse, right?

Cesar R M

New Finding Dory trailer is up

30b3aqw.jpg

cdd89

In order for me to keep my charter status this year I need to buy a Platinum Pass ... that's almost $100 more than last year's pass. Close to $600 with my charter discount and FL resident discount added in. Before some moron here who is paying $800 for a WDW AP tells me how good I have it, I'll simply state that it was only about 5-6 years ago that my AP cost $298 plus tax. It's basically doubled in that time. Yet the product is staler than ever. And what do I get added for that $100 ... unlimited PhotoPass downloads ... something that I have zero interest in. Frankly, for having an AP since the 1982-83 intro year I should probably be paying less than $300 now AND getting substantial discounts (30-50% on food and merchandise) ... but this IS Disney.
Well hopefully you won't make the mistake I made, renew, buy the Plus pass for about $8000, decide you want to check out DisneyQuest (yes, a flash of insanity on my part), get there, and then be told that for my own benefit because Disney didn't want to short change me on my pass and DQ would be closing soon, DQ isn't on the pass.

Which in fairness, it isn't, and I should have seen it, but jeez. Funny how the magical guest experience involves me getting shook down for an unexpected $45 and this is all to increase my guest satisfaction. Yes, I'm still beyond furious about it.

friedriches

And The Jungle Book was a live action remake? I'm pretty sure the only actual actor on set in that movie was Mowgli. Yes there's going to be CG Enchanted Objects because that's what you have to do in Beauty and the Beast. And this being a movie, you can make them objects rather than do what they had to do for Broadway:
*IMAGE DELETED FOR SIZE*
There's no point in complaining about CG for this movie when you consider the alternatives and the big budget they demand. Because I'd rather have an animated wardrobe than one that looks like Rupaul.

Wasn't able to check the thread for a while, sorry for the delayed response...

I'm not complaining. I think my post was fair; I don't want to see a fully-CGI remake, but I think it's an inescapable thing. I am a motion graphics animator and videographer full-time. If I didn't believe in the tech, I wouldn't do what I do for a living. I just want to see it done well, and as the first part of my post suggests (as does my last line saying I'll give them the benefit of the doubt): I am hoping for the best, giving the time they are spending on it.

My negative feeling I expressed is that from what I have seen and heard is that it, as a film, seems more derivative than other recent projects. I'm hoping as time passes and we see more, instead we'll see it has something new to bring to the table.

No Name

There is now a thread for the whole Wanda thing in the SDL forum, by the way. Not that we can't talk about it here too. But there are some good comments there worth reading.

I'd like to see more quotes of exactly what he rather than just a description/summary.

Looks like my wish has been granted. Here's an article on the same thing with more direct quotes: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...th-disneyland/ar-BBtpn1Y?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

He sounds slightly more logical here, but I still find his comments to be very weak. I feel like he's really out of touch and underestimating SDL. His tiger vs. pack of wolves comment and his comment about Mickey and Donald are both indicative of this. Only part I sort of agree with is the "cloning of IP," but that problem really has little to do with SDL. And that can't apply to Mickey and Donald and the rest who are classic and beloved characters.

It has more to do with theaters. That "cloning of IP" happens to be making Mr. Wang a lot of money. Although his company closed 35 of their 99 plazzas last year, which I assume include AMCs, so maybe as much money anymore. Maybe he'll close some of his crappy theme parks too when they don't do well. Disney has never closed a theme park. I'll bet Wanda will win in that category!

And "with the scale similar to our Nanchang park"?? It just shows how he doesn't understand SDL and thinks his steel-on-sticks-land will offer a similar or better experience. It won't. In fact, many of his rides are cheap ripoffs of Disney rides. Most of these parks are built to last a few years, make as much money as possible, and then close. Where's the pride? But I've knocked this guy enough already.

My memory is a bit foggy but I'm pretty sure I remember Eisner talking down Universal opening a park in Orlando.

Opening day at Disney-MGM Studios was a disaster; there was a huge line of 'Guests' at Guest Relations demanding their money back after riding the park's few rides and finishing by late morning.

Some think DHS is a half-day park today. In May 1989, I believe it opened with only 2 attractions!

People were not happy at all with the park until the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours opened later in the year.

Universal Studios opened a year later but with a fuller list of attractions.

I get where you are coming from with Wang Jianlin's comments on SDL but don't think the opening of Disney-MGM Studios is a good comparison.

Okay. I get what you mean. Two attractions is pathetic, but one of those was a two hour tour, and two hours is pretty long. Yes, there were many complaints. And I'd say this park set the precident for the slew of cheap "second parks" that opened around 2000 (excluding TDS). Eisner knew very well that MK and Epcot would have to carry MGM.

That being said, it was successful in the end. It has made a ton of money for the company, and Iger and Disney are still raking in millions in additional profit today because of Eisner building this park. It has also had and still has a higher attendance than Universal. Sure, that's because of other factors as well, but in the end, I'd say Eisner and Disney beat Universal (but Iger seems to have no interest continuing that).

I don't think Wanda will beat Disney. And it looks bad to take such jabs at another company and then lose.

No Name

tribbleorlfl

Difference is Wanda can screw over Disney in the US if they wanted. You don't **** off the guys who own what's about to become the world's largest movie chain (AMC and Carmike plus their theatres in China). Nothing states they have to show Disney movies at their theatres.

Wanda isn't a company I would mess with.
There are still Carmikes?! My first job was a protectionist at one. At the time, they were buying up small regional and independent theaters left-and-right to become the #1 US chain in terms of screens. Then Regal started their expansion, Carmike closed a bunch of locations (including all of them in my area) and I never heard of them again until just now.

Mike S

Oh I totally caught the sly reference to that Attractions' audio in-joke.....
...but your comment made it seem like you were dissin' my boy!

;)

-
Me? Never!!! If Disney doesn't want people like him who "get it" working for them anymore I think he should go over to Universal and help with that third park. Just imagine what he could do over there with Comcast's current expansion attitude.

PhotoDave219

There is now a thread for the whole Wanda thing in the SDL forum, by the way. Not that we can't talk about it here too. But there are some good comments there worth reading.

Looks like my wish has been granted. Here's an article on the same thing with more direct quotes: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...th-disneyland/ar-BBtpn1Y?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

He sounds slightly more logical here, but I still find his comments to be very weak. I feel like he's really out of touch and underestimating SDL. His tiger vs. pack of wolves comment and his comment about Mickey and Donald are both indicative of this. Only part I sort of agree with is the "cloning of IP," but that problem really has little to do with SDL. And that can't apply to Mickey and Donald and the rest who are classic and beloved characters.

It has more to do with theaters. That "cloning of IP" happens to be making Mr. Wang a lot of money. Although his company closed 35 of their 99 plazzas last year, which I assume include AMCs, so maybe as much money anymore. Maybe he'll close some of his crappy theme parks too when they don't do well. Disney has never closed a theme park. I'll bet Wanda will win in that category!

And "with the scale similar to our Nanchang park"?? It just shows how he doesn't understand SDL and thinks his steel-on-sticks-land will offer a similar or better experience. It won't. In fact, many of his rides are cheap ripoffs of Disney rides. Most of these parks are built to last a few years, make as much money as possible, and then close. Where's the pride? But I've knocked this guy enough already.

Okay. I get what you mean. Two attractions is pathetic, but one of those was a two hour tour, and two hours is pretty long. Yes, there were many complaints. And I'd say this park set the precident for the slew of cheap "second parks" that opened around 2000 (excluding TDS). Eisner knew very well that MK and Epcot would have to carry MGM.

That being said, it was successful in the end. It has made a ton of money for the company, and Iger and Disney are still raking in millions in additional profit today because of Eisner building this park. It has also had and still has a higher attendance than Universal. Sure, that's because of other factors as well, but in the end, I'd say Eisner and Disney beat Universal (but Iger seems to have no interest continuing that).

I don't think Wanda will beat Disney. And it looks bad to take such jabs at another company and then lose.

Wanda will be fine: both companies are aimed at Different segments of the market.

SDL will be fine. The only bright side (if you can call it that) of getting into bed with the CCP is they will make sure it doesn't fail....

Nj4mwc

Today's Guests largely don't know what the Disney Details or Disney Difference were ...
They think it's people telling them to 'have a MAGICal day!!!' at every turn ... or handing their brats Mickey stickers (that they then use to deface the place) ... or having a special foamhead interaction ... or being able to buy a LE (anything) of something that once was there, but is long gone.

They do not get what made Disney, Disney. On any real level.

They are the ones perfectly fine with Spidey and Hulk and Rey and BB-8 being Disney ... because they just don't know any better.

They are the ones who feast on these lame and convoluted backstories that are forced (and foisted) on Guests ... they are the ones who really feel special for paying $69 for a cupcake party to view Star Wars pyro.

If they are really special, then they'll think a Hidden Mickey is a Disney Detail that is MAGICal ...
My wifes first WDW trip was in 2010 and we have been back about once per year, she patiently puts up with me giving her a verbal recap of these forums and even though she maybe only hEars about 1% about what i say, she has noticed and gotten angrier every trip about upcharges, poor ride maintenance and other issues. Im not sure if shes actually absorbing what im telling her or just noticing on her own. Personaly i wouldnt mind sone of the upcharge cupcake parties if profits went to maintainig the park and new rides

CJR

Just got done watching Wheel of Fortune and saw a commercial advertising a deal for Florida residents to "Awaken the Summer".

Just saw the block out dates on the website changed: "blockout dates: July 1, 2016 to July 4, 2016; December 15, 2016 to December 31; 2016; January 1, 2017 to January 2, 2017; April 8, 2017 to April 21, 2017; June 5, 2017 to August 10, 2017."

So, not only did they lift blockout dates, but they felt a need to advertise the discounted tickets locally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom