A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

This is apparently an issue with TDO and WDW-specific management. Disneyland added a more elaborate Princess Fantasy Faire "hug zone" attraction to their Fantasyland that also added a princess stage show and some food/merch options to the land, and yet somehow carved it out of unused space next to the Castle while keeping Disneyland's 12 rides in Fantasyland running.

WDW's Fantasyland had to drop from 9 rides to 8 rides to get their Princess hug zone built, and it didn't have the stage show that Disneyland got. And this in the sprawling Magic Kingdom Park that has "the blessing of size" and acres and acres of unused land. That's just weird.

And it also tells me these are purposeful decisions made by WDW management. TDO either knows their audience really wanted this Princess hug zone more than an operating dark ride in a Castle park that has 15 fewer rides than Disneyland, or they have weak leadership skills. Perhaps a combination of those two things.

And thanks to @Bocabear for coming up with the "hug zone" label. A hysterically accurate description of these things!
12 rides about to become 13. Man you guys are lucky.
I always love the fact that Disneyland did not have to do this but Magic Kingdom did... could it be disneyland had the space to do it without losing an attraction... I am not defending they could have built something cheap to house the princess but just because DL gets it one way does not mean this park can do it exactly the same.

DL is a wonderful park but it is a theme park that is meant to attract the locals to visit multiple times a year. Orlando is not locals it is meant to attract the once every few year guest... now no excuse for broken affects, or anything else because of this but the two parks are completely different demos.
They had ample oppurtunity to do New Fantasyland much different than they did. One of my gripes is why the heck they needed to use so much space for M&Gs. Did Belle really need to be separate from the other Princesses? Or could PFH have been built anew in the same general area as Enchanted Tales for ALL of them and Snow White got to stay? This is another one I thought of. Since Tokyo is getting rid of their Speedway for their B&tB area they obviously have more space to flesh out the village. What if we didn't get the village? What if they maximized the space the best they could and gave us a much bigger Beast's Castle with both the ride and Be Our Guest inside? It really did have a lot of potential.

Donaldfan1934

This is apparently an issue with TDO and WDW-specific management. Disneyland added a more elaborate Princess Fantasy Faire "hug zone" attraction to their Fantasyland that also added a princess stage show and some food/merch options to the land, and yet somehow carved it out of unused space next to the Castle while keeping Disneyland's 12 rides in Fantasyland running.

WDW's Fantasyland had to drop from 9 rides to 8 rides to get their Princess hug zone built, and it didn't have the stage show that Disneyland got. And this in the sprawling Magic Kingdom Park that has "the blessing of size" and acres and acres of unused land. That's just weird.

And it also tells me these are purposeful decisions made by WDW management. TDO either knows their audience really wanted this Princess hug zone more than an operating dark ride in a Castle park that has 15 fewer rides than Disneyland, or they have weak leadership skills. Perhaps a combination of those two things.

And thanks to @Bocabear for coming up with the "hug zone" label. A hysterically accurate description of these things!
Oh, I know. I believe that the main reason PFH was built where it was is because TDO and/or Burbank wasn't willing to spend the extra money to build a new facility and dark ride when the NFL plans were redeveloped. However, I do believe that most other TDO decisions like this are made out of special snowflake appeasement above anything else.

doctornick

12 rides about to become 13. Man you guys are lucky.

They had ample oppurtunity to do New Fantasyland much different than they did. One of my gripes is why the heck they needed to use so much space for M&Gs. Did Belle really need to be separate from the other Princesses? Or could PFH have been built anew in the same general area as Enchanted Tales for ALL of them and Snow White got to stay? This is another one I thought of. Since Tokyo is getting rid of their Speedway for their B&tB area they obviously have more space to flesh out the village. What if we didn't get the village? What if they maximized the space the best they could and gave us a much bigger Beast's Castle with both the ride and Be Our Guest inside? It really did have a lot of potential.

There is tons of space backstage on the other side of Magic Kingdom Drive (north of the BatB/LM stuff) that could have been utilized with a better plan. Instead, they built stuff which ended up closing off potential access to that area -- so it's both inefficient use of space for now and short-sighted for the future. Awful.

Furthermore, they wasted space over in the circus area by keeping the red tent for a M&G and putting up the yellow tent. Remove them and you have plenty of space for 1-2 rides plus a M&G without even going outside the RR berm.

I actually like the attractions that the built with FLE, so I'm not a hater, but when I see how inefficiently they used a ton of land, it makes me so annoyed. Especially when you compare how packed with stuff other FLs are worldwide (especially DL).

Donaldfan1934

Since Tokyo is getting rid of their Speedway for their B&tB area they obviously have more space to flesh out the village. What if we didn't get the village? What if they maximized the space the best they could and gave us a much bigger Beast's Castle with both the ride and Be Our Guest inside? It really did have a lot of potential.
Sir, I like the way you think. If only they would move IASW to the Speedway plot like they may or may not do in Tokyo, then this would be a genius plan.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Based on what I read on this site in the past, Jay Rasulo actually decided to do New Fantasyland without TDO having a chance to turn it down. The 2nd thing thing you are dealing with the Meg Crofton era with her in change of WDW when New Fantasy Land happened. The fact is Meg was over her head. The miss use of Space for meet and greet isn't shocking since TDO under Meg's rule turned down the Monster Inc. Door Coaster for DHS. DHS not having Monster's Inc Door Coaster was a big blunder that now forced Disney to announce 2 new DHS lands at the same D23. While Disney Couldn't do Star Wars Land sooner, DHS could have gotten more Pixar attractions for DHS sooner like that Monster Inc. Door Coaster.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I'd like to see them remove Gaston's Tavern and the bathrooms in the "village" there to make a queue for a BatB ride and to have the show building on the other side of Magic Kingdom drive. That would be the sensible way to bring the new fangled BatB ride to MK and compliment the existing offerings.
Although tearing down Gaston's Tavern may see the end of Gaston's in park presence. How about through where Enchanted Tales with Belle is.

wdwfan4ver

One of my gripes is why the heck they needed to use so much space for M&Gs. Did Belle really need to be separate from the other Princesses? Or could PFH have been built anew in the same general area as Enchanted Tales for ALL of them and Snow White got to stay? This is another one I thought of. Since Tokyo is getting rid of their Speedway for their B&tB area they obviously have more space to flesh out the village. What if we didn't get the village? What if they maximized the space the best they could and gave us a much bigger Beast's Castle with both the ride and Be Our Guest inside? It really did have a lot of potential.
Disney needed so much space for Meet and Greets because they were so concern about the cost of the New Fantasy Land Expansion besides the Disney originally didn't had any plans for PFH at 2009 D23. PFH was Thomas Staggs creation like the Mine Train was. I think Staggs looked at things from a cost standpoint. Just be happy that Staggs got a rid of Pixie Hallow considering that area was going to be a big meet and Greet area.

When I read about the NEW Fantasy Land Expansion announcement back in 2009, I hated it due a couple reasons. At the time, I thought Disney misused the amount of Land for the Expansion from the start due to the amount of Meet and Greets. The 2nd reason I hated it was DHS needed a 2nd Pixar ride badly at the time, but Disney decided to do a version of New Fantasyland that was lacking on substance.

gmajew

Premium Member

Snow White going is not the issue what it was replaced with is. The ride needed to be gutted just like mr toads. Loved them both but needed a refresh. I agree PFH should of been given its own building I also would have loved a beast ride as part of the NFL.

I don't think the village prevents future expansion I think the tents were kept so they could add later on when the time was right.

I think the speedway needs to go and the tea cups, I personally feel the entire future land plaza across from the speedway can go as well.

Donaldfan1934

Gadgets go coaster hasn't done a lot to improve her park presence in DL or TDL, so the two aren't necessarily related
what I'm saying is that if the restaurant goes, then the meet & greet may go. Those two things seem more directly related as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

At least I don't have parents emailling me telling me I hurt their child's self esteem
Is it bad that this surprises me?

Who cares though? Giant companies controlling the media isn't anything earth shattering. This article is nothing significant so why would they bother trying to control it? Again, not seeing how this proves anything at all....
Because if Disney is able to keep quiet these HUGE stories that are only being insinuated here then some small nonsense story should be no issue to stop. It runs counter the narrative that Disney has a strangling grasp on the international media.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is it bad that this surprises me?

Because if Disney is able to keep quiet these HUGE stories that are only being insinuated here then some small nonsense story should be no issue to stop. It runs counter the narrative that Disney has a strangling grasp on the international media.

The thing is at one time Disney DID have that level of control. No longer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah that one bothered me to but the food is actually pretty good at Tusker house but expensive because of the characters

Generally I prefer lunch and dinner at Tusker House as some of the best food on property is there, The roast pork with coffee sauce is a favorite along with the Jollof rice.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Based on what I read on this site in the past, Jay Rasulo actually decided to do New Fantasyland without TDO having a chance to turn it down. The 2nd thing thing you are dealing with the Meg Crofton era with her in change of WDW when New Fantasy Land happened. The fact is Meg was over her head. The miss use of Space for meet and greet isn't shocking since TDO under Meg's rule turned down the Monster Inc. Door Coaster for DHS. DHS not having Monster's Inc Door Coaster was a big blunder that now forced Disney to announce 2 new DHS lands at the same D23. While Disney Couldn't do Star Wars Land sooner, DHS could have gotten more Pixar attractions for DHS sooner like that Monster Inc. Door Coaster.

The Door Coaster was and IS a no brainer whyinthehell has it not been built already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom