A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Monorail_Orange

And herin lies the problem, you're comparing it to E-Tickets like Mystic Manor and Haunted Mansion. Yes, Haunted Mansion has the same ride system, but its still an E. Classic status aside, however, I would say its on par with Peter Pan's Flight. In fact, it has a technical upper hand since it has fully functioning AA's, which is something even the Shanghai version of PPF doesn't have. Again, I know that the limited motion figures are a stylistic choice for most Fantasyland dark rides and it's something I don't want them to change. Despite this, we should acknowledge that Mermaid has the upper hand in some in some areas.
I think the illustration was to compare the queues, HM is an example of immersive queue, with the attraction to back it up. I believe the point with Mystic Manor was how advanced that attraction'so technology is compared to that of Mermaid. Yes, the full AAs are nice, but the cardboard cut out Ursula is weak and still has yet to be addressed. Fix the Ursula death display (calling it a scene it giving it too much credit), and I think they will have finally finished the ride. Although, considering that we're still waiting for them to finish the SSE descent with something other than draped drop cloths, I won't hold my breath.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lean is suppose to focus on eliminating waste; cut out non-value added stuff that the customer isn't paying for.

As applied at WDW, it often means eliminating quality touches that differentiated WDW from the pack.

Why pay to make sure that all the external decorative lights are on at the Grand Floridian when 99.9% of paying customers won't even notice? :(

Well, the real root of the issue is how does one qualify if something is 'value' or not. That's why I highlighted value as what Lean focuses on.. because the problem is not lean, but the fundamental point that they are not seeing those elements as VALUE.. but instead as waste.

Donaldfan1934

I think the illustration was to compare the queues, HM is an example of immersive queue, with the attraction to back it up. I believe the point with Mystic Manor was how advanced that attraction'so technology is compared to that of Mermaid. Yes, the full AAs are nice, but the cardboard cut out Ursula is weak and still has yet to be addressed. Fix the Ursula death display (calling it a scene it giving it too much credit), and I think they will have finally finished the ride. Although, considering that we're still waiting for them to finish the SSE descent with something other than draped drop cloths, I won't hold my breath.
I can see why you made your comparisons, I just don't feel that they were fair enough for reasons I've alrea established in other posts. I totally agree with you that the Ursala scene should be upgraded, but on the laundry list of refurbs and upgrades some rides at MK need, I thi that would be on the lower end. I'm just happy that some refurbs are starting to come to MK now at all. With this, PotC, and this fall, BTMR getting much needed refurbs/updates, I'd say MK is moving in a generally positive direction, even if it isn't as fast as or all we want it to be or should be.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lean is suppose to focus on eliminating waste; cut out non-value added stuff that the customer isn't paying for.

As applied at WDW, it often means eliminating quality touches that differentiated WDW from the pack.

Why pay to make sure that all the external decorative lights are on at the Grand Floridian when 99.9% of paying customers won't even notice? :(

The proper application of LEAN in the GF's case would be to install long life LED bulbs which while expensive have a service life in excess of 50,000 hours as opposed to the incandescent bulbs which have a service life of approximately 2-3,000 hours. LEAN improves this process by replacing multiple bulb replacement cycles even though the replacement part is more expensive than what it's replacing but they are resistant to impact which conventional bulbs are not so casualty losses will ALSO be reduced. As a side effect they use far less energy and don't cause heat damage to the mounting surface.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, the real root of the issue is how does one qualify if something is 'value' or not. That's why I highlighted value as what Lean focuses on.. because the problem is not lean, but the fundamental point that they are not seeing those elements as VALUE.. but instead as waste.

Shortsighted management is always the problem and tools like LEAN take the blame for the shortsightedness of management while companies like Toyota and Simplicity who practice LEAN correctly reap immense benefits which are far greater the ones reaped by the poor management teams who glom onto LEAN as yet another way to cut customer value from their product.

I go back to the Bridgeport example, The new ones are BETTER than the old ones when new they hold far tighter tolerances than the old ones ever did (by looking at build sheets) yet they take LESS time to produce and don't cost as much in constant dollars as the originals did and they are still built in the US. Things like that are where LEAN shows it's true value.

For the record I have one of the 'Old' ones in my shop it's now 60 years old but it's been redone ways scraped new leadscrews and nuts, 4 axis DRO and digital motor controls. The new ones STILL weigh the 2.5 tons the 60 year old ones but my old one while it meets it's build sheet spec from 60 years ago, will never be as good as the new one because of the new processes used to create the new ones even though they look and operate exactly the same way.

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

I can see why you made your comparisons, I just don't feel that they were fair enough for reasons I've alrea established in other posts. I totally agree with you that the Ursala scene should be upgraded, but on the laundry list of refurbs and upgrades some rides at MK need, I thi that would be on the lower end. I'm just happy that some refurbs are starting to come to MK now at all. With this, PotC, and this fall, BTMR getting much needed refurbs/updates, I'd say MK is moving in a generally positive direction, even if it isn't all or as fast as we want it to be.
The more we are discussing this, I think you and I are actually much closer in our thinking than we are apart. I agree with most of what you posted here. Ursala is low on the priority list at this point (especially when one looks beyond the MK and to the other 3 parks as well). My chief complaint was the original state Mermaid opened in, and pointing out there are still things to be done, which is a shame because all of it could have and should have been done in the first place. But for whatever reason (we've theorized several on this forum), it wasn't.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other news THIS just in from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...f-Staff-reveal-s-REALLY-like-work-Disney.html

Disney is really losing control of the media narrative these day, Even 6 months ago I could not imagine articles like this being published in mainline outlets.

What those of us here already know.

How 'have a magical day' is code for 'go <bleep> yourself': Staff reveal what it's REALLY like to work at Disney

Donaldfan1934

The more we are discussing this, I think you and I are actually much closer in our thinking than we are apart. I agree with most of what you posted here. Ursala is low on the priority list at this point (especially when one looks beyond the MK and to the other 3 parks as well). My chief complaint was the original state Mermaid opened in, and pointing out there are still things to be done, which is a shame because all of it could have and should have been done in the first place. But for whatever reason (we've theorized several on this forum), it wasn't.
You're absolutely right about all of this. The more we discuss, the more we realize our overall points agree with each other. The other 3 parks need way more than MK and its really good to see DAK and DHS get solid degrees of attention. Although in Epcot's case, its far, far away from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I also agree with complaints about Mermaid's early flaws that shouldn't have been there to begin with. However, I think that Mermaid now should get a bit more praise from fans for addressing most of its flaws despite not addressing all of them.

BubbaQuest

Especially when that marketing mostly focuses on your hotels. This is the most common ad I've seen on TV for a while now and it's all fluff.

Ug, why are there stormtroopers at the Grand Floridian hotel? My worst nightmare of how Disney is going to handle the Star Wars franchise has just been realized.

And complementary transportation is now worthing of an ad?

P.S. Waiting for "Sponsored By" logos on the Stormtrooper outfits.

ProfSavage

In other news THIS just in from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...f-Staff-reveal-s-REALLY-like-work-Disney.html

Disney is really losing control of the media narrative these day, Even 6 months ago I could not imagine articles like this being published in mainline outlets.

What those of us here already know.

How 'have a magical day' is code for 'go <bleep> yourself': Staff reveal what it's REALLY like to work at Disney

Yeah. but the Daily Mail is still a tabloid. Cracked.com and other "humor" websites have been running articles about the behind the scenes stuff at Disney for years (a lot of it not all that shocking or different than working for a major hospitality company, like the Ritz Carlton or Hyatt). And some of those complaints on Whisper borderline pure bs or College Program students/Millennials complaining about not being able to express their "individuality" by dyeing their hair obnoxious colors. They seem to think if they worked somewhere else they would?

Just saying, consider the source. Still interesting to see it published, regardless, even if it isn't that new.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah. but the Daily Mail is still a tabloid. Cracked.com and other "humor" websites have been running articles about the behind the scenes stuff at Disney for years (a lot of it not all that shocking or different than working for a major hospitality company, like the Ritz Carlton or Hyatt). And some of those complaints on Whisper borderline pure bs or College Program students/Millennials complaining about not being able to express their "individuality" by dyeing their hair obnoxious colors. They seem to think if they worked somewhere else they would?

Just saying, consider the source. Still interesting to see it published, regardless, even if it isn't that new.

Absolutely there is NOTHING new in this article, But the fact that it was published AT ALL by a major outlet even though it's a tabloid rag speaks to Disney no longer being able to maintain the narrative that 'Disney Parks are better now than they have EVAH been' Burbank and Celebration Place's social media efforts are now failing.

ProfSavage

Absolutely there is NOTHING new in this article, But the fact that it was published AT ALL by a major outlet even though it's a tabloid rag speaks to Disney no longer being able to maintain the narrative that 'Disney Parks are better now than they have EVAH been' Burbank and Celebration Place's social media efforts are now failing.

True.

RobbinsDad

To be honest, I don't see what makes the Little Mermaid worse than any other dark ride. Sure, it had its fair share of flaws like the CG animation at DCA and the Under the Sea scene being way to bright in both versions, but those and other problems were addressed in refurbishments. In fact, the only real complaint that they didn't attend to was Ursala's underwhelming death scene. Overall, the Little Mermaid is a solid C-D Ticket dark ride that will probably end up being a classic in its own right. Yes, NFL felt like a Phase 1 of what should've been a much bigger and more complete redo, but it seems like a lot of fans critcize a number of recent attractions for reasons that ultimatley amount to the fact that they're not E Tickets. That mentality diminishes a lot of rides that should instead be looked at through the lens of whatever scale the Imagineers intended for them.
I agree, I think Little Mermaid is a solid attraction. Not nearly as impressed with Enchanted Tales with Belle. Even my children who worship Belle thought it was cute but had no desire to revisit it.

Katie G

Agreed, all workplaces have some form of dress code regardless if you are Guest facing or sitting in an office. I work in an office and they are just as strict with what is allowed and not allowed. I can't dye my hair a crazy color or get a bunch of piercings. It's called grow up and be professional.

I feel for the CM that deal with rude Guests though. Even as a Guest you will deal with those same people being rude to everyone. Unpleasant people really make everyone have a bad time, even in a magical place.

Donaldfan1934

I agree, I think Little Mermaid is a solid attraction. Not nearly as impressed with Enchanted Tales with Belle. Even my children who worship Belle thought it was cute but had no desire to revisit it.
Exactly. I think that Enchanted tales with Belle has some really impressive effects, but I think something of more substance like the E-Ticket Tokyo is getting would've been much preferred. Its fun once or twice, but it seems that even young kids feel that way and that is a problem.

GrammieBee

Talk about a sense of entitlement! The poor dear---- she is over 5 ft. 6 inches and wears larger than a size 10 so she won't be hired to be a Disney princess. What a shame (sarcasm). Heck, if I had been born with more fast twitch muscle fiber, I would have been a much better athlete.. You live with and appreciate what you have. I'm sure we all could say "if only" about something.

As for those who want to be able to express their indivuality, they should have thought about earning a living before they got tatoos,piercings and dyed their hair eggplant purple. They are certainly entitled to look the way they want, but they have to realize that is a look not terribly acceptable in any job requiring public relations or even in most business settings. Whether thay like it or not, that is the way it is.

Other than that, many of the comments are legitimate. Working with the public in any job,,can be frustrating and difficult.

Rodan75

One of my regular professional arguments is that 'Lean' and 'Six Sigma' don't have the same applications in a customer service environment as they have in the a manufacturing environment without significant modifications. 'Waste' is a very subjective topic in a Customer Service environment.

COProgressFan

Yet there was once a time when management realized that even if guests don't think they notice, on some level that guests may not even be aware of, they do see the peeling paint, burned out bulbs, grimy ride vehicles, and overflowing trash cans. And this all comes together to form the a guests total experience. The individual details may not be much but combined the "experience" is more than the sum of all parts.

Remember when ALL the little details mattered?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom