A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

arko

Spirited Quickee of WDW News that is sure to be lost in posts about burgers and why we should or shouldn't be on FB:

WDW summer projections are in the toilet. No one is clearly excited by the Awakens promo, which is almost non-existent compared with marketing for UNI and now SW/BGT. You could tell something was up by the lack of CM blockouts this summer. Then we had the 35% off AP rates at WDW resorts. And now ...

Now, WDW is about to announce that those FL resident tickets that were supposed to be blocked out for the entire summer will now be good the entire summer (except for July 1st-4th).

Yup. Nothing is wrong in the swamps. The ticket increases and food and beverage increases and cuts are having no effect at all ... sure.

OK, y'all have great afternoons and go back to whatever you were talking about.

Just got a passholder survey and for the first time it included options that were negative. It was interesting to see that they are giving us answer options that show feedback that the passholder changes were not well received.

Mike S

Spirited Quickee of WDW News that is sure to be lost in posts about burgers and why we should or shouldn't be on FB:

WDW summer projections are in the toilet. No one is clearly excited by the Awakens promo, which is almost non-existent compared with marketing for UNI and now SW/BGT. You could tell something was up by the lack of CM blockouts this summer. Then we had the 35% off AP rates at WDW resorts. And now ...

Now, WDW is about to announce that those FL resident tickets that were supposed to be blocked out for the entire summer will now be good the entire summer (except for July 1st-4th).

Yup. Nothing is wrong in the swamps. The ticket increases and food and beverage increases and cuts are having no effect at all ... sure.

But Frostrom is supposed to bring so many more families to Epcot!!!!!!!

PhotoDave219

Well that mixed with today's department of labor news makes life interesting

BernardandBianca

I think I'm just Vermont short of doing the whole lower 48 myself.

Completed all 50 in 1998, by making Alaska

Concerning the lower 48, does it count if all you did was drive through and not really stop at any sites?

Doesn't count if you don't do something there, and airports do not count.

Now for the real trial - I've been to all seven continents. Did Antarctica in 2005.

Monorail_Orange

As was said in Monsters Inc., "In my professional opinion...NOW IS THE TIME TO PANIC!!" For better or worse, the current management team owns this 100%. Do enough of them care about their legacies to try to cure the disease? Or do we just get more band-aids? If the clock ain't tickin' it's sure wound tight about now.

hopemax

Concerning the lower 48, does it count if all you did was drive through and not really stop at any sites?

Some of us have different definitions of what counts. After, moving from Wisconsin to Washington when I was 2, we've driven through North Dakota probably a dozen times. Considering it takes 5 hours to drive from one side to the other, that means I've been in the state for at least 60 hours. I'm not going to NOT count it because all we ever did was stop at rest areas, gas stations and fast food locations. Every time it was the same, we were supposed to stop somewhere and my Dad decided he didn't want to pay for a hotel and he could "just drive straight through" going east, we'd make it and end up at Grandma's house. Going west, we ended up getting a room anyway, somewhere in Montana.

EDIT: I count them all. Because the question is usually, "How many states have you been to?" Been is not the same as "visited" which may yield a different total. I was stuck in the Dallas airport for about 8 hours. If I wasn't in "Texas," where the heck was I?

Last edited:

TalkingHead

And what the rules are regarding where you've been and whether it counts for your life list of places you've been and whether driving through a state counts or whether you need to have used a bathroom in a state for it to count. (What if I only peed in the woods in Vermont? Does that count?) For pages. And pages. C'mon, people.

Can't imagine that Rivers of Light has helped attendance projections. What's the latest on it? When is the official blog going to post another "So, yeah, still working on it" update.

thequirkysarah

We last went to WDW in October of 2013. While we were there I did notice how much prices had gone up since our 2009 trip, but I still felt like there was some value to the equation. While everything did cost more, you were at least getting about the same experience as you did in 2009. Granted, neither held a candle to trips taken in the early 90's (especially when looking at EPCOT and HS), but I could still rationalize the price.

But, since then, things seem to have gone off the deep end. Prices have skyrocketed in only a few years. We don't make any more money than we did three years ago, but somehow we are supposed to scrape together at least 25% more money for a trip to the swamps? And, we are from Canada, so there's another 25% surcharge on top of the price increases because of our weak dollar. And, as if that isn't enough, the product (be it quantity/quality of food, number of rides, park hours, entertainment offered, or park/ride upkeep) has blatantly deteriorated. Until something changes, we are done. We just cannot rationalize going to WDW anymore.

We did have a lovely brief trip to Disneyland before all the cuts hit this year. While the price is also jumping up on the West Coast, DL is simply offering a better product right now. I still see value in what they are offering because, across the board, the quality is higher. But, talk to me again after a few more years of increases and I may be singing a different tune about the West Coast as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Disney has crossed a threshold for a lot of families, and mine is certainly one of them. This current model is not sustainable at all.

aladdin2007

do you mean fl resident passholders such as the seasonal ticket holders etc, or more of the 4 day type tickets?

disneyflush

Pricing your resort like a once in a lifetime trip for a large percentage of people and then releasing opening dates 5 years out for new lands and rides will cause people to hold off a few years on those once in a lifetime trips. The price hikes are comically out of touch as well.

ProfSavage

Pricing your resort like a once in a lifetime trip for a large percentage of people and then releasing opening dates 5 years out for new lands and rides will cause people to hold off a few years on those once in a lifetime trips. The price hikes are comically out of touch as well.

This playing in the lobby and elevators of TDO offices

ProfSavage

I cant go for that.
8c3a8c91e5ee54b920f5065ed1f04b75.jpg

Puns make my dreams come true

FigmentForver96

Wait so like the silver APs for Florida residents are having their dates lifted? I'm reading this right?

seabreezept813

I also hate being photographed and even in the family albums few pictures exist of me, That's the great advantage of being a photographer, Almost no one takes pix of the guy wearing a couple cameras except of course for the classic gag of two photographers photographing each other and you cannot see the other photographer's face behind their camera unless of course they are using a Leica M series or something small like that.

This I think is the hardest part of controlling social media.. kids take pictures of everything and everyone. We've had pictures show up online in student chats of teachers drinking, etc or even just in the classroom. And that's in a school where students who are caught with phones have them taken away and locked up. It's definately my biggest concern as a younger teacher who does not want any pictures circulating among teens who might not have the right intentions.

NearTheEars

Actually I think Disney will just cut hours like most other places will, basically take their ball and go home.

That would certainly benefit the workers, going from 60 to a hard limit of 40 hours and getting paid the same.

Obviously they still aren't making a ton of money, but they won't have to work as long.

hopemax

What would you like people to say? Confirmation that after years of playing with dangerous objects, bleeding has started doesn't seem like the thing people are eager to comment on. Most people, would just turn their head away, and stand quietly on the side and hope no one notices the tears in their eyes, because despite all the "doom & gloomer" talk, there is no pleasure in watching a great institution turn itself into this, especially due to their own short-sightedness and a lack of understanding about their business. What constructive things could be said, that haven't been already said and said again in hundreds of posts over the last 10 or 20 years. Most of us don't have your sources, and so are basically limited to a variation of "this sucks" and or "we told you so." Neither of which is very satisfying, so the coping mechanisms kick in. Most people don't actually want to wallow around in negativity all day, so when a "distraction" presents itself, is it no surprise people latch on? Expect more coping mechanisms, the worse this gets. And I'm getting confused, I thought we were supposed to be reminding ourselves that the world out there is bigger than just the World. The real world comes up, and no, no, we're supposed to be living in a Disney on-topic world.

DougK

Maybe they have finally raised prices and cut attractions and quality to the point where people are actually beginning to stay away from WDW. If so that would wake up everyone in management. Of course Iger will probably respond with more stock buybacks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom