A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

I think we'll be lucky to hear about Pets tomorrow for USH, many believe it will be a hotel announcement. Diagon is still years away (unfortunately).
I still think the two park setup is best for Diagon and it wouldn't work well at USH. Btw, here's another difference between Disney and Uni. With Disney they clone Toy Story Land everywhere while Universal gives everyone (except Singapore) Harry Potter. I know which land I prefer :rolleyes:
The lazy river at Blizzard Beach goes through Mt. Gushmore through a cave, with cold dripping water from the stalactites.
Can't wait to see if they do something like this for the volcano... and a faster one could be interesting (Water Country USA has a fast one IIRC), but I'd want them to make the bottom out of a scuff-proof but also slip-proof material... if that's possible.
Yes please!!!

Donaldfan1934

I like it as a nice little family coaster if you ride at night. But capacity is definitely a factor in its popularity. The days of Disney building giant people-eaters ended a long time ago (some would even suggest about when WED became WDI).
I knew it. Its sad that modern, short term gain focused Disney put more on how they could get away with bare minimum capacity rather than the unecesary long term effects it would have on guest experience. If they just made the ride a minute or so longer as originally planned, then that very well may have prevented the ridiculous waits that are at the crux of that attraction's existence. I think it's a shame that they didn't try to improve upon this in Shanghai, but that ride is still longer than Tron shockingly enough.

Last edited:

Absimilliard

Spirited Quickees:

Is it true? Was EPCOT really fixed today? Disney thinks so.

Why is it that some fanbois think WDW is only the MK and EPCOT?

Weren't some people saying that Pixar's demise was imminent after Cars 2? Where are they?

I channeled that dude Derek Burgan over the weekend when I bought an Olaf hat at the local Disney outlet. It was 99 cents marked down from -- I kid you not -- $29.99. I wonder if it spontaneously combusts. Don't ask me why I bought it because I don't have a good answer.

I really feel badly for people taking Orlando vacations right now. Not because of all the death, dying and destruction there of late (although that stuff makes me sad and sick). Nope, simply because who takes a FL vacation in summer?!?

Do we have confirmation yet that Fantasy in the Sky is indeed back at DL this fall? No, SDL costs are not affecting the USA parks at all. (BTW, isn't this and the new hotel in Anaheim the kinda stuff that Micechat used to have months before others?)

Speaking of DL, checked park hours because a friend is headed there and see the labor saving cuts where DL is 8-11 daily, except midnight on Saturday and DCA is 8-9 daily. That is Shanghai-caused all the way.

Our pal Tom Bricker had two beautiful pics on the Tweeter from HKDL today that made me long for that park. But I also saw the park is open from 10:30-8:45. More #thanksBobIger ?

Going back to Finding Dory because its performance, as I said a few weeks ago, makes Alice Through The Looking Glass completely meaningless. This is at the heart of Disney's tent-pole strategy. They can literally have a few bombs a year and it won't matter at all. I wonder if The BFG will be the next or find its niche ...

I am going to an international theme park I've never been and wanted to go soon, but it isn't SDL (that likely will come around Halloween or next spring).

Gotta wonder if the Disney goodwill is starting to evaporate with their incredibly poor handling of both the Pulse massacre and the gator attack in social media. I guess that PhD isn't good for serious stuff, eh Dr. Blondie? I am sure you can start cupcake parties again in a week or two.

So, Bob Iger you put out a decent Star Wars film and you got your name on that Chinese dedication plaque. What are you going to do now?

Was it just me or were no members of the Disney family at the opening of this park? If true, btw, it would be a first. I was sure that at the very least Roy Patrick would show up as the family sellout.

I admit when I see low/no talented 20-somethings get hired into design houses like WDI or UNI Creative I do worry about what theme parks are going to look like in 10-15 years.

The Star Wars Experience at DL still bothers me more than anything that has ever happened in Anaheim.

How many Lifestylers who went to SDL are now selling park maps on eBay for $50 a pop?

What's interesting about those 20 something old coming into the industry is that many of them attend industry specific programs. They don't get a general degree or diploma, work for a few years in their field and then make a move to theme parks. It is troubling indeed and make me worried as they also have no operational experience.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train capacity is garbage for two reasons, one design wise and the other a management choice. The ride loading is slowed down by the insane number of disabled guests. Designing a separate station for them (like at Space Mountain in DL) would have worked wonders.

The management choice was how they picked the opening day crew. They went for the nicest smiles and guest interactions winners cast members... who can't dispatch trains even if their life depended on it. I and a few friends could probably get 200-300 more guests per hour easily.

The best ride crews on property are at Everest and BTM... yet no cast members from there were selected. They are too busy setting efficiency records to smile!

I was at Universal Studios Japan today and will share observations later.

ThemeParkJunkee

SorcererMC

Iger couldn't be bothered to tear himself away from Shanghai for two seconds but Comcast NBC Universal sent literally every top level executive to Orlando for their Team Member vigil.

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts
CEO of NBC Universal Steve Burke
Head of Universal Studios Ron Meyer
Of course Tom Williams, Bill Davis and John Spouls of the Parks division.
(Also heads of Telemundo and The Golf Channel as employees of theirs were also affected)

But Iger sure did send Kalogridis home... only after the gator attack.

View media item 1240

I think your criticism of Iger is legitimate, yet I oddly feel like defending him o_O....even though I felt kind of disgusted at pictures of him at Shanghai Disneyland juxtaposed with the tragedies that happened. Ultimately, I decided that his role as Disney CEO opening the park that was already scheduled had to proceed as planned, and how would he have gotten out of that? Maybe he is just feeding his ego by being there? I don't know. Disney stock price has held steady regardless...Wall St. is happy. <sarcasm>. Isn't that what counts? <sarcasm> Just my .02.

This juxtaposition is what I mean:

Gotta wonder if the Disney goodwill is starting to evaporate with their incredibly poor handling of both the Pulse massacre and the gator attack in social media

So, Bob Iger you put out a decent Star Wars film and you got your name on that Chinese dedication plaque. What are you going to do now?

Re: Pulse. They've donated to OneOrlando and announced w/ Mayor Dyer. The vigil was 'unofficial'. Do they acknowledge it at this time next year? and Re: Gator - they'll probably settle as quickly as possible and family wants privacy.

What I'm really wondering is what else will Disney do, if anything? (And I guess that's rhetorical b/c probably no one here really knows).

shortstop

Until they start tossing Guests from property for feeding gators and make Guests at the resorts sign a document acknowledging the law, I won't believe they are doing the right thing. They are doing Gator Security Theater.
Agreed. But unfortunately I think we both know Disney doesn't have the guts to kick guests out... And not to beat a dead horse (or a dead gator?) but I think/hope increased signage will force guests to take a greater responsibility for their OWN safety at the very least.

shortstop

Quinnmac000

Speaking of Water parks, Concept art from today plus more news
ClezT1KXEAAvCDt.jpg

Universal Orlando Resort leaders released details about Volcano Bay water theme park, including that tickets will be for sale beginning June 1, 2017.

The park, being billed as Universal Orlando's third theme park in Orlando, was formally announced in May 2015. Few details have been released since then until Tuesday morning at the U.S. Travel Association's IPW convention.

Other announcements made Tuesday included a July 14 opening date for the resort's newest hotel, Loews Sapphire Falls. The hotel adds 1,000 hotel rooms to Universal's inventory.

Alice Norsworthy, executive vice president of Universal Orlando Resort, said the park will include 18 attractions. Without giving too much detail, Norsworthy teased the park has been designed to keep wait times at a minimum and saves guests from lugging around water tubes.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...ipw-universal-volcano-bay-20160621-story.html
  • Krakatau: The 200-foot volcano, Krakatau, will be home to the unannounced marquee attraction and three body slides at the rear of the volcano with surprise doors that drop guests down into the slide. One of the body slides, Ko'okiri Body Plunge, is a 70-degree drop that sends guests down 125-feet through the center of the volcano and through a guest pool. The other two body slides, the Kala and Ta Nui Serpentine Body Slides, are two intertwining slides where guests will race along 124 feet of twists and turns. In addition, the area will have Punga Racers, "a high-speed race through four different enclosed slides featuring manta-shaped mats."
  • Wave Village: Located at the base of Krakatau will be the Waturi Beach, a multi-directional wave pool with a sand beach and private one- or two-story cabanas. In addition, The Reef, is a leisure pool where guests get a view of those brave enough to ride the body slides.
  • River Village: The calming, lazy river-style portion of the park includes the Kopiko Wai Winding River that passes though the caves of the volcano, which features water effects and nighttime lighting; Tot Tiki Reef, a play area for toddlers with slides and a kid-size volcano; Runamukka Reef, a three-story water playground with slides and sprinklers; Honu, a multi-passenger raft ride with two giant slope walls; and Ika Moana, another multi-passenger raft ride that will glide along bubble geysers.
  • Rainforest Village: A part of the water park based on thrills like Maku, North America's first "saucer ride" that has raft riders "speeding around three saucer-shaped curves;" Puihi, another multi-passenger raft ride that will take guests into a dark area with a zero-gravity drop; Ohyah and Ohno Drop Slides, two twisting slides that will launch guests four and six feet above the water at the end; TeAwa The Fearless River, a racing torrent, whitewater rapids river where guests can hang onto inner tubes; Taniwha Tubes, four Easter Island-inspired slides; and Puka Uli Lagoon, a relaxing pool area.
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...lando-reveals-details-on-volcano-bays.html#g3

25 minutes ago

Last edited:

71jason

Overreaction by Disney and the fan community? Do you know who's really overreacting? The media. CNN, Fox News, TMZ, MSNBC are all milking this one tragedy even more than they did for Harambe the gorilla. Let's focus on one child's death, laugh at how neglectful the parents obviously must have been for their child to die, because everything that happens is the parent's fault (Flu? Parent's fault, and they should be ashamed). Let's focus on one child instead of the many children that are dying in Syria and Iraq. Let's focus on this one story that would only be mentioned on Channel 13 if it didn't have that giant evil corporation's name on it. Disgusting.

Had my college roommate--father of 5-year-old twins, well-off, roughly bi-annual WDW visitor from NJ, i.e. target WDW guest--blow up my phone last week. Absolutely livid WDW tried to get him to rent a paddleboat on an alligator-infested lagoon.

Like it or not, this story hit a nerve with the customer base. WDW sells escapism, worry-free fun for a high cost. Destroy that illusion, break that implied sense of trust, the business can't help but take a hit. And that's news.

seabreezept813

Spirited Quickees:

Is it true? Was EPCOT really fixed today? Disney thinks so.

Why is it that some fanbois think WDW is only the MK and EPCOT?

Weren't some people saying that Pixar's demise was imminent after Cars 2? Where are they?

I channeled that dude Derek Burgan over the weekend when I bought an Olaf hat at the local Disney outlet. It was 99 cents marked down from -- I kid you not -- $29.99. I wonder if it spontaneously combusts. Don't ask me why I bought it because I don't have a good answer.

I really feel badly for people taking Orlando vacations right now. Not because of all the death, dying and destruction there of late (although that stuff makes me sad and sick). Nope, simply because who takes a FL vacation in summer?!?

Do we have confirmation yet that Fantasy in the Sky is indeed back at DL this fall? No, SDL costs are not affecting the USA parks at all. (BTW, isn't this and the new hotel in Anaheim the kinda stuff that Micechat used to have months before others?)

Speaking of DL, checked park hours because a friend is headed there and see the labor saving cuts where DL is 8-11 daily, except midnight on Saturday and DCA is 8-9 daily. That is Shanghai-caused all the way.

Our pal Tom Bricker had two beautiful pics on the Tweeter from HKDL today that made me long for that park. But I also saw the park is open from 10:30-8:45. More #thanksBobIger ?

Going back to Finding Dory because its performance, as I said a few weeks ago, makes Alice Through The Looking Glass completely meaningless. This is at the heart of Disney's tent-pole strategy. They can literally have a few bombs a year and it won't matter at all. I wonder if The BFG will be the next or find its niche ...

I am going to an international theme park I've never been and wanted to go soon, but it isn't SDL (that likely will come around Halloween or next spring).

Gotta wonder if the Disney goodwill is starting to evaporate with their incredibly poor handling of both the Pulse massacre and the gator attack in social media. I guess that PhD isn't good for serious stuff, eh Dr. Blondie? I am sure you can start cupcake parties again in a week or two.

Was it just me or were no members of the Disney family at the opening of this park? If true, btw, it would be a first. I was sure that at the very least Roy Patrick would show up as the family sellout.

I admit when I see low/no talented 20-somethings get hired into design houses like WDI or UNI Creative I do worry about what theme parks are going to look like in 10-15 years.

The Star Wars Experience at DL still bothers me more than anything that has ever happened in Anaheim.

How many Lifestylers who went to SDL are now selling park maps on eBay for $50 a pop?

I am that crazy person who loves the heat and loves being in Florida in the summer. Hubby and I just came back from a mini trip to Fort Lauderdale (which has incredible discounts this time of year). Usually we wouldn't be able to consider Florida without doing Disney. But we paid so little for a beach front four star hotel, and Disney is just pricing us out. I still can't wait to go again, but the reality is that it will take another 3 years of side jobs to save for an Orlando trip, so that we are not using money from savings, insurance, retirement, etc. I think Disney needs to do more to bring guests back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom