A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

truecoat

Beheadings are hardly a new thing to Star Wars.

Darth Maul got cut in half at the waist (they did retcon his death so he survived and has returned in Clone Wars and Rebels, but the canon back then was that he died gruesomely). Jango Fett lost his head, as did Count Dooku.

Some versions of the film when it was released apparently had a different final reel and he wasn't split apart. He just fell down the shaft.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wasn't it touted as a gritty war movie ala Dirty Dozen the whole time? And we knew it wouldn't have a happy ending?

Looks like they got cold feet

They got worried about the toy sales to the under 8 crowd, Doncha know all Disney media products have to appear to a fearful toddler so as to not negatively impact toy sales ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

That's the main complaint from a lot of people, myself included. I wanted more Tomorrowland in my Tomorrowland movie.

LOL this is the most efficient summary I've read of that movie. I (barely) sat through it and kept thinking "can we get back to that cool tomorrowland concept?"

I don't care for the actors in the movie... but the script was just carp. It killed the movie.

VJ

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Honestly, I really liked Looking Glass. Much better than the first one, actually, way more of a plot and the "summer blockbuster" sort of feel while the first didn't really have any plot and kind of moseyed along. Different strokes, I guess, but Looking Glass to me is not the flop that everyone thinks it is.

doctornick

There you go. That sequence of her walking around Tomorrowland and looking at all the amazing stuff? That should've been much more of the actual movie.

That's the thing. I actually thought the trailers for Tomorrowland were pretty interesting, but the movie ended up being completely different. I'd love to see the movie that was hinted at in the trailers exploring an actual alternative world community developed by the worlds' leading thinkers.

Mike S

That's the thing. I actually thought the trailers for Tomorrowland were pretty interesting, but the movie ended up being completely different. I'd love to see the movie that was hinted at in the trailers exploring an actual alternative world community developed by the worlds' leading thinkers.
Not to mention the success of that movie could've lead to many possibilities for the Tomorrowlands in the parks. SYNERGY!!!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Not to mention the success of that movie could've lead to many possibilities for the Tomorrowlands in the parks. SYNERGY!!!

Before the movie was released I was hoping it was a revitalization attempt on Tomorrowland- the land itself- and if the movie did well, we may actually see the cool, sweeping architecture and visuals. Shanghai kinda sorta got some of it. We got to keep Stitch instead.

FigmentJedi

There's a Tomorrowland fanedit floating around now called the Dreamers Cut that puts a lot of the deleted material back in and removes the "Clooney and Casey arguing about how to tell a story" part of the first act that fixes some of the issues I had with it. Roadtrip in the second act could still be condensed though.

No Name

Is Disney Spirit the name of one of the new cruise ships being built for DCL? I haven't seen that name be mentioned before but that sounds like a likely name for one of the new ships.
It's what he thinks the name of one of them will be. He gave his prediction for the other name too, but I can't find it and don't remember. I am not doubting it either, since Disney's running out of their limited vocabulary and Spirit seems like a perfect name. It's not too long (no -ation like celebration and imagination would have) and it's a noun that describes an emotion kind of thing.

The only thing is, and correct me if I'm off, but spirit is not a word I recall Disney using much (as opposed to magic, dream, fantasy, and even wonder). But I think it would be a great name for one of the ships.

But the Alice situation is interesting as the film's box office more less states people didn't dig that sequel as much as the billion dollar first film suggested to Disney that they would. So where does that leave that new Alice Maze in Shanghai given it just opened yet the franchise it's based off has just died in a really major way? Also does this kill the Alice expansion that was planned for Shanghai? And is Tokyo going to go with an Eticket based off the animated film now rather than copying the live action one that was headed to Shanghai? Even more interesting if Alice's sequel proves that a billion dollar film can have a floptastic sequel how is James Cameron and the linked Avatarland feeling right about now? That last one was a tease as I know Avatarland shall be great regardless of IP but even so is Iger and the BOD worried about stagnant merch or interest for that land? I would be.

The Alice maze, I guess, people can still associate with Alice in general rather than with just the live films. I don't think any significant changes will be made to the maze. Plus, the movie isn't bombing as badly in Shanghai.

But if this causes the dark ride for Shanghai to be replaced with something else, I'd probably be happy about that. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a ride so heavily based off of a sequel to a live movie that is based off of an animated classic. Just base it off of the animated classic... or come up with an entirely new and unique idea.

As for Avatarland, it's not just the worry of what to sell and how, in a family park, to possibly sell stuff featuring creepy blue sex kittens. No, I'm sure what's giving them the most headaches is the fact that they have to pay Cameron a royalty on all Avatar merchandise sold in the park. Potter was worth the royalty because it drove extra sales. But if the Avatar property isn't driving extra sales... Disney is just losing money from that royalty.

But in the end, I too am sure that the actual land will be fabulous, and that'll be what helps lure people to the park and gets them to spend money in the first place.

FrankLapidus

They got worried about the toy sales to the under 8 crowd, Doncha know all Disney media products have to appear to a fearful toddler so as to not negatively impact toy sales ...

If you know anything about Star Wars then you know that merchandising concerns have impacted creative decisions taken during production of the films for decades. You act like Disney are ruining the franchise when if you removed your tin foil hat for just a moment and looked back at how these films were made, you would find that George "didn't see any value in dead Han Solo action figures" Lucas was worrying about toy sales long before Disney ever got their hands on Star Wars.

For what it's worth I know someone with some first-hand knowledge of the production who told me that the situation is nowhere near as dramatic as is being claimed in some quarters. And concerns over toy sales have played no part in what is going on.

brb1006

Disney would argue that they tried that with Tomorrowland, which was a really good film but still flopped hard, so audiences sent a message saying they don't want anything original thank you very much.
I wish Disney gave another shot at making at least for once a decent Disney movie based on an existing attraction. Heck after seeing Figment's cameo in Inside Out. It just gave me a great idea for Disney to make a good animated CGI movie based on the original incarnation of Journey Into Imagination. But that might never happen at this point especially during the current state of the pavilion and Imageworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom