A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Travel Junkie

The problem is... no one is allowed to joke anymore.

Everyone takes any words as if they are the worst possible offensive or hate.

We used to use words in humor.. because... people knew what the extremes the word conveyed. Cue... Chris Rock's "I hate n***" stand-up.

Now, even the word used in intellectual uses... some people act like you just punched their baby by having the nerve to say the world aloud. Even when the word isn't used in spite, hate, or anything.

The problem is people are more afraid of the WORDS now than actually what the words were intended to do.

I think its a continuation of the lack of interest in understanding.. and the 'leap to conclusions' attitude most people have these days.

It's entirely possible to have jokes that are simply in bad taste... but now people put bad taste in the same category as those who physical harm others, etc. That's F'd up.

Shortly after 9/11 Lewis Black was talking about what the difference was between the terrorists and us and in part it was our ability to laugh at ourselves instead of being so serious about everything.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think its a continuation of the lack of interest in understanding.. and the 'leap to conclusions' attitude most people have these days.

Unfortunately, it's easier to do that than to think for yourself these days. Independent thought is frowned upon, only group-think is acceptable to many. Don't form your own opinions, just go along with whoever is shouting the loudest. Don't have a spine or thick skin, play the victim card at every possible turn. That's what much of society is devolving into these days. And many of those shouting the loudest are often some of the dumbest people on the planet. An example - Cardi B and her incoherent and rambling BS about taxes. I swear, that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life (her sister is even worse, believe it or not). I honestly believe I lost a brain cell or three listening to it the one and only time. They are prime examples of why I tune out pop culture more often than not. There isn't a damn thing redeeming about most of it anymore.

the.dreamfinder

My have times changed. The terrorists did win after all. They successfully changed our culture to one of perpetual fear.
th

Pixieish

AEfx

I don't care what the ethnicity was of the person she was referencing; her statement was deplorable in any context.

So I take it you condemn everyone and want everyone fired who posts pictures of Donald Trump and Orangutans and compare their appearances, as well? It will take me a bit, but I am sure I can make a list of half of the comedians on TV that would need to be immediately fired, if that is the case.

SamN'Dean

Not to derail the topic but I just have to give another shamless plug to SeaWorld and their Electric Ocean event. If you're in Orlando this summer, and are able to, cancel a Disney night and head over to this hidden gem and see what a true nighttime theme party is really like!! Plus, you'll get to see the second greatest nighttime show in town too :)

Going to see this soon.

Jones14

So I take it you condemn everyone and want everyone fired who posts pictures of Donald Trump and Orangutans and compare their appearances, as well? It will take me a bit, but I am sure I can make a list of half of the comedians on TV that would need to be immediately fired, if that is the case.
Wading into murky water here, but there’s no historical context of drawing comparisons between white people and monkeys in order to dismiss and humiliate them as a whole, so the insults, while still incredibly mean spirited, don’t carry the racist undertones and historical weight of the past.

I know that Teri was saying that her ethnicity wasn’t of concern to her specifically, but a joke aimed at a black person comparing them to a monkey is definitely worse than the same joke aimed at a white person, simply because one has an intensely negative history to back it up that the other does not.

Rodan75

Where do you hang out? I follow some pretty liberal folks and I’ve never seen anyone do half of what you accuse. If you are seeing that online or on a news channel, you may need to change your environment.

You have some fair points and I respect your viewpoint, but you’ve wrapped yourself in some narrative that doesn’t align with objective reality.

AEfx

Wading into murky water here, but there’s no historical context of drawing comparisons between white people and monkeys in order to dismiss and humiliate them as a whole, so the insults, while still incredibly mean spirited, don’t carry the racist undertones and historical weight of the past.

I know that Teri was saying that her ethnicity wasn’t of concern to her specifically, but a joke aimed at a black person comparing them to a monkey is definitely worse than the same joke aimed at a white person, simply because one has an intensely negative history to back it up that the other does not.

I'm glad you understood the point of my question, then. If the tweet was "deplorable" even if she thought the woman was white, then we must fairly apply that to everyone who has jokes that are about/relate to monkeys/apes. Either that, or the person just doesn't like Roseanne to begin with and doesn't care about the logic behind what happened.

That said, the historical context you noted is actually beside the point should one actually want to fully put her statements in context. Roseanne's intent (with her admittedly bad, ill-taste joke because it was appearance based) was to compare the woman to the masked characters of Planet of the Apes, a sci-fi film. It's funny how the media just says "Roseanne called a black woman a monkey" and ignores that it was a specific pop cultural reference. In fact, the woman does bear a striking resemblance to the female mask used in that film.

That doesn't make it right that Roseanne made the tweet, but it does make it a lot more complicated than she was just some racist hillbilly who was calling a black person an ape.

AEfx

Where do you hang out? I follow some pretty liberal folks and I’ve never seen anyone do half of what you accuse. If you are seeing that online or on a news channel, you may need to change your environment.

You have some fair points and I respect your viewpoint, but you’ve wrapped yourself in some narrative that doesn’t align with objective reality.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. You mean you haven't seen the Trump/Orangutan/Orange hair memes and jokes online and in the media?

You are aware that Donald Trump actually sued Bill Maher for making the comparison, right?

In any case, here is our very own Jimmy Kimmel doing it, as well.

To answer your question - yes, I have seen the worst of this. I'm gay, went to a super-liberal arts college (twenty years ago), liberal democrat my entire life, and now I'm suddenly the most conservative person I know. I have seen so many people I care about and respected fall victim to the identity politics become part of the social media mob that it makes me sick to my stomach. If you somehow have been able to avoid watching a large portion of the people you know go bat-crap crazy, I'm jealous.

Last edited:

Pixieish

I'm not sure what you are referring to. You mean you haven't seen the Trump/Orangutan/Orange hair memes and jokes online and in the media?

You are aware that Donald Trump actually sued Bill Maher for making the comparison, right?

In any case, here is our very own Jimmy Kimmel doing it, as well.

To answer your question - yes, I have seen the worst of this. I'm gay, went to a super-liberal arts college (twenty years ago), liberal democrat my entire life, and now I'm suddenly the most conservative person I know. I have seen so many people I care about and respected fall victim to the identity politics become part of the social media mob that it makes me sick to my stomach. If you somehow have been able to avoid watching a large portion of the people you know go bat-crap crazy, I'm jealous.
I refuse to discuss anything current-events or politics-related with my mother. She's gone completely off the deep end in regards to very many things and often believes things that leave me flabbergasted and extremely upset.

EDIT: Wasn't there a "thing" about someone saying Trump had small hands, too?

Mike S

It's too bad this guy isn't more eloquent in his writing...he seems to have personal experience with all this.
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/23/james-gunns-firing-sets-a-worrying-precedent
Can’t like this because Jessica Price did indeed deserve to be fired for how she acted towards a huge fan of hers that was just trying to have a conversation. The CEO of the company himself said they already knew what was going on and were deciding already before the story got as huge as it did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom