A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They could have done more with that scene. Maelstrom may have been in desperate need of an update (with AAs and effects) but the projections just look like Disney didn't know what to do with that space.

They just replaced a rather basic AA (trolls) with one of the most advanced AAs they make (Elsa) and you're tagging them for not having more basic mannequins in the next scene?

Princess Leia

In this scene, baby Aurora is looking around with unfocused sight unaware of an evil fairy cursing her.

In this scene, a spinning wheel is immobily menacing Aurora as she is dewey eyed after meeting the Prince.

In this scene, a frightful prick of a finger.

In this scene, Aurora is excitedly sleeping completely unaware of Philip's adventures battling Maleficent.

In this scene, Aurora is non-consensually kissed.

Scary adventures, indeed!!

;)
Fine, Maleficent's Scary Adventures :p

I kid you not, this scene scared my sister until she was 12 years old:
anigif_sub-buzz-32339-1524487862-1.gif

Just follow Maleficent around, the haunting music playing in the background, gremlins and goblins everywhere... Sounds like a pretty decent use of the Sleeping Beauty IP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fine, Maleficent's Scary Adventures :p

I kid you not, this scene scared my sister until she was 12 years old:
anigif_sub-buzz-32339-1524487862-1.gif

Just follow Maleficent around, the haunting music playing in the background, gremlins and goblins everywhere... Sounds like a pretty decent use of the Sleeping Beauty IP.

Yeah, that triggers mammalian flight instincts on many levels: Snake eyes; something lurking in the shadows; something coming right at you. Make a ride where every scene hits those triggers (along with audial triggers of hissing and growling) and you can get kids spoiling their pants!!!

smile

The difference being those movies are all good AND actually Disney. Avatar is neither. However, I don’t want to go down the Avatar rabbit hole.

The point was there is a distinct difference in Tokyo’s approach compared to the parks in America. Both are using IPs as the driving force behind expansion but Tokyo is focusing on Disney properties that fit in thematically with what they want to do rather than whatever is the hottest IP currently.

And again, I don’t dislike Star Wars or Marvel at all ... it’s just interesting to see a wildly different approach between the two countries.

totally agree with your principle regarding under-utilization of 'true' disney ip and i adore olc more than most, but you're giving them too much credit here...
what they really did was make the best they could of it - we're deceiving ourselves to think frozen, tangled, and pan truly belong in tds.

Donaldfan1934

The animatronics are impressive, and I was especially wowed at the first Olaf, but the ride seemed half built. There are at least 2 areas where it just feels empty. The decline is especially noticeable because where Maelstrom had the polar bear and puffins, FEA has nothing (I just woke up, so someone correct me if I’m wrong). Then add Maelstrom’s capacity to a hot property like Frozen, and I think you can see where there’s an issue.
The Elsa screen effect may not be among the ride's highlights, but you go by it so quickly that it's effective enough. At least the rest of the ride is almost entirely animatronics and physical sets. And as alluded to in my original comment, I agree the ride has capacity issues that could've been prevented by building a ride from the ground up. However, that shouldn't take away from the fact the Imagineers made the absolute best use of the space they were given and created something that's arguably better than any purpose-built attraction at WDW in the past 15 years or so.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

Both are using IPs as the driving force behind expansion but Tokyo is focusing on Disney properties that fit in thematically with what they want to do rather than whatever is the hottest IP currently.
That's questionable. I've never been to TDS, but from what I've seen Fantasyland 2.0 seems like a strange fit for that park. Also, Frozen, Tangled, and Peter Pan seem to be huge in Japan, so I'd consider them "hot IP".

RSoxNo1

Avatar doesn't need to be your bogey man. They put in Bug's Life and Lion King into DAK before Jungle Book. And the Little Mermaid and Nemo got their rides before Mickey or Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin. Don't blame that on Avatar.

Also, what would a Sleeping Beauty ride be other than a boring dark ride book report?
You could always make Happy Birthday cards for Aurora.

RSoxNo1

The animatronics are impressive, and I was especially wowed at the first Olaf, but the ride seemed half built. There are at least 2 areas where it just feels empty. The decline is especially noticeable because where Maelstrom had the polar bear and puffins, FEA has nothing (I just woke up, so someone correct me if I’m wrong). Then add Maelstrom’s capacity to a hot property like Frozen, and I think you can see where there’s an issue.
Frozen Ever After doesn't have the scale of something like Mermaid and it's why I consider Frozen a C ticket (like Pan). I think it's a better C ticket than Mermaid is a D ticket, but that's a different argument. Frozen lacks depth in it's scenes which is a function of being shoe-horned, but if that ride was a 1500 guest per hour addition to Fantasyland it would receive a lot more praise from the people on this board.

Donaldfan1934

Splash Mountain is a major ride. ToT is a major ride. Haunted Mansion is a major ride. If SDMT is now considered a "major ride", all hope is lost...
SDMT is no doubt of high value to most guests and is an admittedly impressive attraction as well. The only real problem with the ride is that it's a bit too short. If the ride was a minute or two longer with an additional show scene, there wouldn't be this ongoing debate as to whether or not it's an E-Ticket.

RSoxNo1

So practically nothing.

They could have done more with that scene. Maelstrom may have been in desperate need of an update (with AAs and effects) but the projections just look like Disney didn't know what to do with that space.

I don't want to go round and round with this, but I think that any new Frozen boat ride will probably be better than Epcot's, because they're not trying to put it in an existing ride.

There is something to be said about live sets vs projections. A friend of mine explained the projection technology as impressive, but the opposite of charming.

Sue_Vongello

totally agree with your principle regarding under-utilization of 'true' disney ip and i adore olc more than most, but you're giving them too much credit here...
what they really did was make the best they could of it - we're deceiving ourselves to think frozen, tangled, and pan truly belong in tds.

Yes, you’re right. But I think credit where it’s due ... I’d certainly prefer parks like Epcot and TDS to be IP free but that’s not the reality we are living in ... so I guess what I was really saying is if we have to put IP in places then I much prefer Tokyo’s direction to the stateside parks.

Other people have said Frozen, Tangled, and Pan don’t fit in TDS ... I agree on Tangled but Frozen and Pan are both set around water/ports ... I mean it’s not my favorite but it does make sense. Or let’s put it this way it makes way more sense than Monsters Inc in Tomorrowland, Avatar in DAK, etc etc

the.dreamfinder

Yes, you’re right. But I think credit where it’s due ... I’d certainly prefer parks like Epcot and TDS to be IP free but that’s not the reality we are living in ... so I guess what I was really saying is if we have to put IP in places then I much prefer Tokyo’s direction to the stateside parks.

Other people have said Frozen, Tangled, and Pan don’t fit in TDS ... I agree on Tangled but Frozen and Pan are both set around water/ports ... I mean it’s not my favorite but it does make sense. Or let’s put it this way it makes way more sense than Monsters Inc in Tomorrowland, Avatar in DAK, etc etc
Avatar in DAK, on a thematic level, makes a lot more sense than Pan or Tangled or Frozen* in TDS.

*The Snow Queen was considered for opening day TDS as a show in the Broadway theater with music by Alan Menken, but that’s a much different approach than what has been proposed for THIS project.

smile

i'd consider pan a 'win' in the sense you mean... i think. there was give-and-take... that's something
...haven't heard much mention of the long extension, however... and that's great!

far as the difference between the two - could it be because one views the park experience as a means and the other, an end?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom