A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

smile

OLC said:
This new themed port is certain to enhance the appeal of Tokyo DisneySea, the only Disney Park themed to the myths and legends of the sea.

:cautious:

suppose if all three weren't boat rides that wouldn't make much sense :confused:

it's nice some folks will get off toy design for a few, meanwhile the way perseveres relentlessly

heartened by the extended partnership

nor'easter

Frozen on Broadway is selling out 99% of their seats and taking in over $1.8 million a week.
So? Lion King is at 100% and at $2.2 million, with a more expensive top ticket price and has played for 20 years. Frozen is new, and the collective wisdom is that it is just OK. It is not as hot a ticket as many shows now playing on Broadway, and it's doubtful that it will have the staying power of Lion King or Wicked.

Rodan75

So? Lion King is at 100% and at $2.2 million, with a more expensive top ticket price and has played for 20 years. Frozen is new, and the collective wisdom is that it is just OK. It is not as hot a ticket as many shows now playing on Broadway, and it's doubtful that it will have the staying power of Lion King or Wicked.

True. I think it was too soon. We haven’t moved past Frozen backlash yet. But it is still healthy and it could sustain and grow over time. But I agree it will likely never surpass TLK. I will surprised if Frozen2 breaks $1B, likely the normal $700-800M.

the.dreamfinder

Taschen posted some preview images from their new Disneyland book. Currently $40 on Amazon US for 300+ pages of Walt era goodness.
😍😍😍
disneyland_ju_gb_open_0003_0006_01172_1806131616_id_1197849.jpg

disneyland_ju_gb_open_0092_0093_01172_1806131616_id_1197858.jpg

disneyland_ju_gb_open_0226_0227_01172_1806131615_id_1197786.jpg

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01172/facts.walt_disneys_disneyland.htm
EDIT Link fixed

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Frozen has also already grossed 2 million in a week, and hasn't dipped below 98% and is allegedly pretty much sold out until the new year...so I think it will be fine. It will not be around like Lion King (which I doubt they even expected), but it will be successful, turn a profit and tour to sold out houses. By the way the tour has already been announced, a rarity for a Disney show that hasn't made back its investment on Broadway yet.

Disneybear

Aw, come on. Are people really giving this a thematic pass? I can't believe there isn't outrage about "they are turning TDS into a MK park!"

Where is all the outrage quoting the park's dedication and chastising them for daring to develop past it? Where is the rhetoric about the ruination of the beloved parks?

Anyone who doesn't complain about this yet belly-aches constantly over this topic stateside is being noticed for future reference. ;)
I think there would be a few more complaints if this expansion was carried out the TDO way.
For example in the swamps at WDW with its "blessing of size", we would probably see 3 of the 4 proposed attractions replacing existing attractions for a net gain of 1 new attraction.

Whereas in Tokyo one of the most populous and developed cities its all on untouched land for a real addition of capacity

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 , do you see The Tracker’s vlogs from TDR?

No. I don't tend to watch those types of things.

I did recently listen to two podcasts completely. One was the DIS and the other was by Tom InternationalParkless, but Way Kewl Uber Fanboi with $3,000 worth of Disney annual passes.

I will say that Tom's was the better of the two by quite a bit. But I will also say that both of them, more shocking for Pete and crew on the DIS Unplugged, simply were lacking in basic knowledge often. Again, I don't want to go soft on Tommy Boi, but he was talking about DLP a place that he just visited for the first time. You wouldn't expect him to know everything. But The DIS was all about WDW largely, with maybe a bit of DLR thrown in. I can't recall as I literally fell asleep in a thunder storm while listening. Basic facts and knowledge seemed to elude this group of what seemed like five dudes doing a show from Pete's house.

I don't have specifics because, frankly, it bored me to tears listening largely. But if this is what your livelihood is, then get your facts straight. Learn what it is you are ranting about because otherwise you just come off so poorly.

I did watch the above after seeing this post and these people are not totally unbearable. That said, the biggest mistake anyone can make at TDL is eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace, the worst dining locale at the resort. I made that mistake my first visit. Disney Blogger to the Stars, Tom Bricker, didn't listen to me (well, he did, but his goal is to dine at every Disney dining locale on the planet) and found it to be as bad or worse as I said. Don't know why people eat there ...

BTW, way kewl news on TDR expansion. Now, we know exactly why the Frozen/Scandinavian port was pushed back!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Thanks for asking. The absolute only time I strongly felt like dropping in before now was when this was announced. DLP is now one of my two home resorts (that means I exist in two places!) I have watched it bottom out around 2011-12 when Disney starved it in order to force a takeover that was likely in Bob Iger's mind as soon as he decided against selling all or part of the P&R unit. I have watched it steadily get better and better and better ...

This is the first ever major project under Bob Iger (well, second if you count the DCA 2.0, but now he's ruining all of that with DCA 3.0) in P&R that I really, really can find no fault with.

Taking Marvel, Star Wars and Frozen, all rumoured and considered at one time for Parc Disneyland and adding them to WDSP is just great all around. You don't ruin an amazing castle park. And you make the second gate a terrific place.

Now, some of this isn't going to be as wow inspiring as the announcement. My gut tells me Paris and HK will share a Frozen attraction that won't compare to the one just announced for Tokyo (and looks like next up for Anaheim and ... oops, I forgot, no news dropping here). It still won't suck as much as the EPCOT misplaced ... sadly misplaced ... ride. Early word on SW says only one of the DL/WDW attractions gets duplicated here and one becomes a walk thru. And Marvel starts with simply a reskinned RnRC (something I first told you was being planned around Spidey, because it was, a few years ago) and doesn't destroy another ToT.

But still you will also have a major Marvel attraction added ... another version of the spinner from DHS's TSL (I can't use AS$ as that has always stood for All Star Sports) ... a lake that is desperately needed and will host a night spectacular.

And that doesn't count the redo of Disney Village, which needs it, or the major attraction coming to the castle park ... or the night show they are planning for Lake Disney ... or the redoing of hotels (although I admit to being very worried about the DLH ... didn't like the use of the word 'universe' in the press releases).

In other words, the future is very bright for DLP as it enters its 26th year ... and, for once, they appear to be doing things mostly right. For the record, I have never liked the Studio conceit if true filming isn't happening. But if that is what WDSP is, then throwing all this IP into it is a great move.

I will also remind you Avatar was supposed to be going here too ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom