A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

smile

I think its pretty cool he is taking the time to interact with fans and answer questions. He is under no obligation to do so and I think shows that he actually cares about his product (just my opinion).

one side of me agrees -
the other side thinks it's obvious and trite.

I have come to my own personal conclusion that (most of) the Star Wars fans who are upset about TLJ because they did not get exactly what they wanted are of the same mindset of people who were excited about Frozen Ever After taking over Norway pavilion and made any justification possible to validate that it was a great idea because it was EXACTLY what they wanted, and by that I mean they just wanted more rides at Epcot.

while that may be the case for some, it's certainly not for me...
with respect, i generally don't appreciate the pro crowd consistently saying the nay crowd is just bummed we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

definitely didn't get anywhere near 'exactly what i wanted' out of the prequels, but i don't detest them as being canon -
i, and many others, just appear to have a vision of what star wars is that's more in-line with it's original intent than what it has become under current management.

star wars, for me, is now something else than what it had been and neither side and can be viewed as being particularly right or wrong - it is what it is... you either dig it or you don't

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
star wars, for me, is now something else than what it had been and neither side and can be viewed as being particularly right or wrong - it is what it is... you either dig it or you don't
I feel the same way about Abrams reboot of Star Trek. It is nothing like the originals or even TNG series, but I still enjoy them. I even had a Star Trek marathon for the new movies this week and really enjoyed watching them for the 4th time. Many Trek fans feel the same way about the reboot ( "Abrams killed Star Trek"). I am just glad they are still making Stat Wars and Trek movies. And FWIW, I have several issues with TLJ and it is far from a perfect movie, but overall I enjoyed it. I was not looking for problems or comparing it to the originals. I went to have a good time, and I did.

smile

I feel the same way about Abrams reboot of Star Trek. It is nothing like the originals or even TNG series, but I still enjoy them. I even had a Star Trek marathon for the new movies this week and really enjoyed watching them for the 4th time. Many Trek fans feel the same way about the reboot ( "Abrams killed Star Trek"). I am just glad they are still making Stat Wars and Trek movies. And FWIW, I have several issues with TLJ and it is far from a perfect movie, but overall I enjoyed it. I was not looking for problems or comparing it to the originals. I went to have a good time, and I did.

if you knew me, you'd know that what i'm about to say means that something drastic has happened, but...
if quentin is actually directing the next st - i'm changing sides!

:D

bclane

if you knew me, you'd know that what i'm about to say means that something drastic has happened, but...
if quentin is actually directing the next st - i'm changing sides!

:D
Yes please on the QT ST! But I’m already fully behind both franchises so nothing drastic for me. Just makes it an even better time to be a geek. :joyfull:

smile

Yes please on the QT ST! But I’m already fully behind both franchises so nothing drastic for me. Just makes it an even better time to be a geek. :joyfull:

i see st from the other side...
was never a fan. at all. finally saw the newer movies and enjoyed them (best jj i've seen)

can totally see how some long time fans may not dig it, as @wdisney9000 mentioned, and how new ones (like me, possibly) hop on - while at the same time, there's the yous, who seem to hang on regardless.

st and sw parallel each other, yet again.

all good.

brb1006

⚡⚡️Actual news⚡⚡
TWDC has picked former iTunes and Walmart executive Kevin Swint to run its upcoming streaming, or SVOD, service. What’s intersting, and concerning, about this development is the Disney SVOD division will fall under BAMTech, as opposed to being connected to the Disney Channel with BAMTech as the technical foundation. While not an either/or proposition in the short term, the streaming platform needs to be the evolution of the Disney Channel. Why wouldn’t you set it up under the Disney Channel Group and really start to challenge how Disney uses these channels and how a streaming service changes that. The streaming service excites me, but maybe they don’t see what I see in its potential.
⚡⚡️That is all!⚡⚡
As long as most of the original content are original animated shows I will be onboard. But I swear if it's filled with any teen sitcom found on Modern Disney Channel...

bclane

i see st from the other side...
was never a fan. at all. finally saw the newer movies and enjoyed them (best jj i've seen)

can totally see how some long time fans may not dig it, as @wdisney9000 mentioned, and how new ones (like me, possibly) hop on - while at the same time, there's the yous, who seem to hang on regardless.

st and sw parallel each other, yet again.

all good.
It's true, I've pretty much loved every Star Trek series and movie that's been released...with the exception of Enterprise which I enjoyed for the most part, but didn't love. I even fell head over heals for Voyager despite the fact that I did not like Janeway's character for various reasons (none of which have to do with her being a her). They all have their quirks, their strengths and their weaknesses. TOS, which I watched reruns over and over again with my dad as a kid, still blows my mind to this day even though it is a campy cheese fest compared to the rest of them. My kids don't really get it, but I eat it up. But then again, I grew up with things like the original Battlestar Galactica, Mork and Mindy, the 80s Buck Rogers, etc. and thought they were all fantastic fun lol! Star Wars is my favorite, but I've never understood the Star Trek vs Star Wars or Marvel vs. DC type of arguments. Can't we love them all for what they are?

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
⚡⚡️Actual news⚡⚡
TWDC has picked former iTunes and Walmart executive Kevin Swint to run its upcoming streaming, or SVOD, service. What’s intersting, and concerning, about this development is the Disney SVOD division will fall under BAMTech, as opposed to being connected to the Disney Channel with BAMTech as the technical foundation. While not an either/or proposition in the short term, the streaming platform needs to be the evolution of the Disney Channel. Why wouldn’t you set it up under the Disney Channel Group and really start to challenge how Disney uses these channels and how a streaming service changes that. The streaming service excites me, but maybe they don’t see what I see in its potential.
⚡⚡️That is all!⚡⚡
It could be that the service is going to be the streaming representation of the Walt Disney Company, not an evolution of the Watch Disney Channel app. It's possible that this could be the beginning of the transition away from the Disney Channels Worldwide division as more and more content is delivered through this service (Just a thought!). You need to walk before you can run.

Phil12

I think its pretty cool he is taking the time to interact with fans and answer questions. He is under no obligation to do so and I think shows that he actually cares about his product (just my opinion).

I have come to my own personal conclusion that (most of) the Star Wars fans who are upset about TLJ because they did not get exactly what they wanted are of the same mindset of people who were excited about Frozen Ever After taking over Norway pavilion and made any justification possible to validate that it was a great idea because it was EXACTLY what they wanted, and by that I mean they just wanted more rides at Epcot.
I agree and as a result it seems likely that we'll be seeing more of Olaf in upcoming Star Wars movies. He'll go by the name "Olaf the unkillable" because lightsabers will not harm him as he will simply change his molecular form.

AEfx

I think what you are describing is closer to what happened with TFA, not so much with TLJ.

The "well, it's just Star Wars fans not happy with new directions" applies to those who have just crapped on all of Star Wars post-Disney in principle.

The basis of most complaints about issues with TLJ (except for those about Luke, which seem to be a small amount of folks comparatively) have been that it does not properly follow up on TFA. Many of us liked TFA very much, so when TLJ was so different tonally and just threw away the things that were built up in that film, we were disappointed.

That nothing to do with comparing it to the originals (only the "defenders" do that, to excuse its shortcomings). People can disagree, but dismissing it as "oh they just are mad because it's not the Star Wars they grew up with" just isn't the case.

Last edited:

AEfx

The more he "explains" himself (almost daily), the deeper he digs himself in. It is just making him look increasingly insecure in the choices he made, more than anything else.

HauntedMansionFLA

The last two Star Wars movie had certain boxes they had to check off with executives and achieved it. The newer SW fans love the movies. I sat through the two movies not really feeling like u was at a SW movie.

The one thing I will say. The new movies do not have George Lucas heart. It was his baby. It’s like a step parent coming in trying to please his new children.

NearTheEars

The last two Star Wars movie had certain boxes they had to check off with executives and achieved it. The newer SW fans love the movies. I sat through the two movies not really feeling like u was at a SW movie.

The one thing I will say. The new movies do not have George Lucas heart. It was his baby. It’s like a step parent coming in trying to please his new children.

What’s your thoughts on the prequels? They were all Lucas with no corporate boxes to check.

AEfx

What’s your thoughts on the prequels? They were all Lucas with no corporate boxes to check.

The Prequels had very different problems than the Sequels are having. They are like opposite extremes in so many ways, it would take a book-long analysis to sort through them all. And in most cases, the OT falls somewhere in the center of those extremes, which is why ultimately they will likely prove to be the "better" films (not just through nostalgia-colored glasses).

The PT was one singular vision - Lucas literally locked himself into a room and essentially no one saw each script until it was done (heck, no one saw a script for the last one until the week they started filming). The ST is being made by committee, who has as its priorities checking off a wide swath of boxes. I mean, you literally can go scene by scene in TLJ and reverse engineer the script to see that list.

The OT, on the other hand - was in the middle, where Lucas was the guiding force but was constantly kept in check by other people invested in making the best story possible (and back then, he listened). That's why it is no shock ESB is widely considered the best of the films - it is the one that was made most collaboratively in that sweet spot.

To be totally frank, the real crime of the PT really was that the first 2/3 of it largely told a story no one really cared about to begin with. When I was a kid playing with Star Wars toys, I never heard anyone say "Gee, I wonder what Darth Vader was like as a cute little kid or as an obnoxious teenager?" That said, when they went that direction, it can't be argued that the films didn't tell an epic story - that it may not have been the story people were interested in, but at least it was huge and worthy of the Star Wars name in that respect. This also allowed it to be filled in - you will find a lot of people are softer on the PT these days because the Clone Wars TV series spent a lot of time cleaning up some of the story mess as it was set between Episode II and III (though of course, it couldn't save the ending issues - like poor Padme).

Of course, with the ST it will depend on how the last film turns out - but so far, even ignoring all the incongruities between TFA and TLJ, I think what will prove to be the biggest issue is that when watched as a whole - many of the key moments just don't hold a lot of feeling because of the compressed time-frame it has forced on itself. I mean, Kylo and Rey have known each other for about a week.

It is really hard to buy into it as an epic when you realize that. To people in the theater viewing TLJ, it has been a couple of years in between films so it doesn't hit at first blush - but it's just a matter of days in the timeline of the story. So these characters who basically just met have these dramatic relationships - personally, it makes it feel so silly to me.

And that's not even getting into things like Finn, who when you realize this just comes across as a horn-dog with an obsessive/stalker personality, LOL. That's another example of where the OT was in the middle - look at Leia and Han's romance in TSB- it was made clear that time had passed and events had happened between films, which made it feel a lot more realistic. In this timeline, Finn met Rey on a Monday, spent Tuesday with her, spent Wednesday looking for her, was in a coma on Thursday, woke up on Friday, and made goo-goo eyes at Rose, the first girl he meets. (That's why Poe's line to him "you must have a million questions!" literally makes me laugh out loud - how could he have a million questions about the mere day or so that has passed since he was knocked out?)

That's why TLJ feels like a bunch of checkboxes - because the overall story really doesn't make logical or emotional sense - the scenes/dialogue in it are to serve an external purpose to "fit everything in" instead of feeling like the natural progression of a story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
His name is Dave Filoni and he's in charge of Lucasfilm's Animation unit.
It is just becoming so obvious at this point that this is all true - Kathleen Kennedy is just not the person to be in charge of Star Wars.

Agree and agree...

As Iran Johnson continues to spend his days defending anything and EVERYTHING he's done - probably with someone who calls himself Boba124577 on twitter as we speak - the real issue (using the term loosely) is kennedy. They don't seem to have a uniform vision other than trying to expand along 9 different tracks at the same time.

I would think disney would be re-evaluating this. I know I'll get "it only made $1.3 billion" tone...but it's hard to legitimately argue that ep 8 exceeded expectation...I think met on the lower end is pretty accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom