1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

That description is my opinion on so many things, namely EPCOT's festivals of higher earnings.

2. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

We loved Food and Wine the first time and honestly found it to be more hassle than it was worth last year. Way too crowded, way too expensive, and only about half of the food was any good. It's no fun spending $75 on "lunch" for two people (multiple kiosks of course) when you spend the bulk of that time waiting in line (and certainly not talking about how good the food is) only to purchase something inedible for $9 (which is somehow a "tasting portion).

At least if I do a party at MK, I know what I'm getting ahead of time and prepay for it. Although even those parties are getting too expensive for the entertainment provided. First time around, we went to two parties (it was cheaper and our kids were still free). Now, it's one-and-done.

3. GeneralZod

GeneralZod Well-Known Member

You two should really start your own YouTube show: "Everything Wrong with Everything".

4. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

They did something simple yet effective in Force Awakens to introduce the new characters. They had established characters sign off on them. Han Solo specifically approves/endorses Rey and I think that allows the audience to do the same.

5. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hatbox Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

As someone who enjoyed TFA, I still feel like critics were justified in that it was a virtual "remake" of A New Hope. It seems so many plot points were just straight up lifted from Episode IV that it didn't really leave the franchise with much hope in its future. Now that JJ is back in the saddle, I think most people are probably expecting a rehashed Return of the Jedi. We'll have to see what Rian Johnson's Ep VIII achieves. Before JJ was hired, it was rumored that RJ would get the reins again...but Disney wanted safety.

6. Monorail_Orange

Monorail_Orange Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I like TFA, even though, yes, it has a similar feeling to ANH. I'm willing to give JJ a chance. I'm one of those people who enjoy both Star Wars and Star Trek. I liked the JJ Trek movies (Scotty, maximum sheilds!!! Flames incoming!!), but am excited about the rumors of the next movie (if it gets made) might come full circle and restore the original timeline. I bring that up to show why I'm willing to give JJ a shot on this one. I also get that if you didn't care for TFA for whatever reason, this is not good news. And I also agree with @WDW1974 that going back to JJ says TWDC really doesn't have a vision for the SW franchise. (Where is the rudder on the Death Star anyway? ;))

7. Hatbox Ghostbuster

They don't have a vision for the franchise, because so much of corporate lacks creative vision in anything that isn't hocking merch and creating cinematic universes for quick profit and remaking their animated catalogue.

8. Monorail_Orange

Which is a reason why it was questionable to shove aside the abundant previous post-Return of the Jedi canon and turn it into "Legends." Other than possibly having to recast the characters, Zahn's trilogy, for starters, was ready made to become Episodes 7, 8, and 9. There were loads of stories to go for beyond that. It's another good example of the broader problem with the company turning away from one of the core principles that made the Disney name, "Quality will out." Now, it's maximized profit will out.

9. Hatbox Ghostbuster

"Maximized Profit for minimum effort. If we have some kind of template to go off of, we'll use it"...will out ;)

10. pacolovestacos

pacolovestacos Member

If people are unhappy with the direction of the new SW movies, then the solution is not to watch them. Why spend your hard earned money on something you don't like.

11. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

I think the character introductions and development in TFA was remarkably well done and you bring up a good point about one way it was effectively achieved. There's definitely legitimately good complaints about TFA but by having good characters that the audience likes, it bodes well for Ep VIII and IX because people will want to learn their stories and not just those of the original trilogy characters.

12. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

One of them was supposed to be gone from here. I wonder what's taking so long?

GeneralZod likes this.
  13. Monorail_Orange

Whether or not you like his SPIRITed editorials, you've been around long enough to know also he gets a lot of solid information. It is very sad, but understandable, that he's decided to pull up stakes from here.

14. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

Clarify this before I go off the deep end on you...

15. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

I don't think the discontent in this thread about the "poor quality" of the new prequels is or will be borne out by the general public. Will the sequels and spin offs all have a significant degree of corporate processing and be "safe"? Absolutely. But on the flip side, Disney's film side has pretty amazing quality control compared to other studios in that they rarely produce outright crap films and typically have had well regarded -- both by fans and critics -- works come out.

It's unlikely that any of the upcoming Star Wars movies will be all time great movies, but I think they will all be highly entertaining, easy to enjoy (and re-watch and quote...) and be soaked up by the general populace. We'll see if any stinkers actually come out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. Absimilliard

Absimilliard Well-Known Member

Crush Coaster capacity is a measly 700 people per hour... and that's with continuous loading! Also, the restraints have to be quite tight and looking at Hersheypark similar Laff Track, WDW would have major issues with guests fitting. The ride was also quite problematic as the ride components did not last as long as they hoped for.

photoginit, TiggerDad and WDW1974 like this.
  17. nevol

nevol Well-Known Member

This comment doesn't come from a place of meaning well or being nice, but I am dead serious when I admit, that seeing images of this guy makes me reconsider my entire life. It actually gives me an existential crisis, that I could share any interests with this guy.

PeoplemoverTTA and WDW1974 like this.
  18. pacolovestacos

pacolovestacos Member

I generally enjoy all the Disney movies. I though TFA was great, Rogue One was better. But I enjoyed them all.

JJ Abrams has directed/produced a lot of high quality projects in his career.

bclane likes this.
  19. dennis-in-ct

dennis-in-ct Well-Known Member

The comment that WDW is not meeting attendance expectations and that an unusual amount of discounts are being offered right now makes me believe, as I have said way too many times on this forum, that it is the insane expensive that has driven the people away. ROOMS FOR 600 !?? What!?! A two-day Adult park hopper is 275.00 !?!? That was a little less than an annual pass in the early 2000's. It is insane. WDW keeps pushing to see HOW MUCH it can get away with but the result is they are alienating a core group of loyal customers. I really *want* to go and spend money but not when I am being price gouged.

People who go to WDW frequently have seen the prices skyrocket. I feel like I am experiencing the same stuff I saw late 90's - early 2000's for 400 times more money. My last visit (1yr and 4 months ago) made me feel bad - then annoyed - for letting myself be taken advantage of. Epcot future world was plain out sad and felt neglected. I felt like a rube (as SPIRIT would say) - pixie dust and all.

The crazy thing is we booked a two day stay this Jan (before taking a Carnival cruise - not a Disney cruise cause its three times the money as carnival) and staying at the all-stars and no hopper ticket. In the past, I would stay at a mod. or deluxe and now I am at a crappy all star. I want to see Avatar, Rivers of Light and the new Castle show. So - just a magic your way ticket will do, MK and AK. In the past with my hopper I would have seen all 4 parks. It will be interesting to see if I feel as gouged this trip as I did last trip. My previous frequency would be twice a year and stay at a deluxe or Moderate and maintain an annual pass. No more. So why am I going back? I have a love for the parks and the imagination and keep hoping that feeling will return. With the new projects coming up, I have hope but if they jack-up the prices again they will be shooting themselves in the OTHER foot. Now I visit less than once a year (in some cases it would be a 4 year span for a particular park) and some years only buy a one-day park ticket due to the expense and lack of new offerings. As many know, other international parks have their seasonal celebrations and do not charge extra for the event unlike WDW. It is just insane.

Did I mention I had two bedroom unit at the Sheraton Vistana Resort right outside the gates for the price of a moderate? Gorgeous resort, full kitchen, living room, laundry and HUGE. Much bigger than and DVC unit on site. Book through COSTCO ... they have awesome packages. Just don't accept the vacation club spiel for a 100.00 visa card. Urgh *slaps head* ... downright painful.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...D=5608&EM=GOOGLEPLACES_5608_VSERESSALES_ECOMM

When a company p.isses people off with blatant gouging - people will shy away - and as Al lutz would remind his readers (back in the day ;) ) that it is cheaper to maintain a current customer than it is to get them BACK.

I still won't buy the Gillette Fusion men's razor after several years of being a loyal customer now that the prices have dropped to 42.00 from 54 dollars on the bulk pack at COSTCO. They started out as 37.00 - why ? cause they jacked up the cost and price gouged. I switched brands and wont go back just on principle. Love my Harry's razor from Target at the moment. See ya. Nothing like making a consumer *feel* stupid for allowing themselves to be gouged.

When people are p.issed and feel ripped off - you're gonna lose them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    zengoth, Sloan, HauntedPirate and 5 others like this.
  20. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

This!!! Disney puts a lot of emphasis on the marketing of families. That includes people taking their kids, because Mom and Dad took them. Once you start missing generations and the kids dont have that great family memory to look back on and recreate with their kids, it is going to take a LONG time to get back that kind of guest. Marie