A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So, Bautista's return to the WWE is confirmed. ;)

At this point, I could see Disney shelving GotG3. As was mentioned, this movie, and possibly the franchise, is currently toxic. It could change, sure, but I have to wonder if it will. Gotta love the unintended consequences from corporate knee-jerk reactions. Good thing they didn't build a ride... oops... :eek:

I read somewhere (probably in a thread here) that Feige's contract is up in a year or so. Very curious to know what he's looking for, both in salary and direction/control. I don't think salary would be an issue with Disney, so I'd think this will come down to how much control Disney wants to let him have. He's been THE guiding force with the MCU, and as a result Disney has a massive movie franchise it can milk... I mean, use for years to come. I guess it will ultimately boil down to Disney and if they think someone else can do the same job with the same level of effectiveness or not.

Kman101

If Bautista keeps this up and is fired/able to get out of contract, Drax is written out in reshoots of A4, and Adam Warlock becomes the official 6th member early in GotG3. At least that’s my guess.

Natalie Portman somehow got out of her Marvel contract (she also had issues with a director being let go). If Bautista wants out, Disney can replace him or move on without him.

Probably exactly what they're thinking. LOL.

They can't be thrilled with him running his mouth. Even if some of it's right and no wants to admit it. The firing was hypocritical and I think that's what he's trying to point out. But ABC/Disney really has no choice anymore.

I don't know. People can change. He did it for shock and awe. I'm not saying it wasn't disturbing and it doesn't make it right but people can change. I think it says a lot that Gunn has the entire cast wanting him re-hired. That says more to me about him than his tweets do (but at the same time actions often speak louder than words and do we ever really know somebody?). But that's me. Again, don't take this as me excusing him or because "I fan him" because that isn't the case (not saying you! Princess Leia, just putting in a disclaimer before it's misconstrued what I'm saying)

AEfx

However, will creative people want to be on a leash like Disney seems to be doing rather than having a lot more creative control under another studio.

Where have you been? LOL?

That has been Disney's reputation for a long time. Their traditional reputation, in fact.

That, however, is a far different (and very complex) topic than people being Gunn-shy, so to speak, about working for Disney. Working for Disney has always meant lots of funding that comes along with a certain amount of "leash". That doesn't change.

When it comes to Gunn, yeah - if you have a history of thousands of disgusting tweets in your past, you might think twice. And certainly Disney will be doing a lot more thorough checks before they hire someone for a job like this. But that is different from the overall nature of working for family-friendly and known-to-be-staunchy Disney.

Now, all that said - yes, I do think that just like has obviously happened in the past, Disney is never going to run out of creative people who want to work for them.

It is such a crazy idea to me to even think of - I guess I've just known too many aspiring actors, directors, producers, film editors, writers - they are everywhere. I could easily staff a 200-person TV show cast and crew with just people on my Facebook that I have known over the years - and I don't live anywhere near Hollywood (the opposite side of the country).

There is so much talent out there, way way beyond the few hundred people who seem to regularly work above the line in Hollywood.

The Empress Lilly

Where have you been? LOL?

That has been Disney's reputation for a long time. Their traditional reputation, in fact.

That, however, is a far different (and very complex) topic than people being Gunn-shy, so to speak, about working for Disney. Working for Disney has always meant lots of funding that comes along with a certain amount of "leash". That doesn't change.

When it comes to Gunn, yeah - if you have a history of thousands of disgusting tweets in your past, you might think twice. And certainly Disney will be doing a lot more thorough checks before they hire someone for a job like this. But that is different from the overall nature of working for family-friendly and known-to-be-staunchy Disney.

Now, all that said - yes, I do think that just like has obviously happened in the past, Disney is never going to run out of creative people who want to work for them.

It is such a crazy idea to me to even think of - I guess I've just known too many aspiring actors, directors, producers, film editors, writers - they are everywhere. I could easily staff a 200-person TV show cast and crew with just people on my Facebook that I have known over the years - and I don't live anywhere near Hollywood (the opposite side of the country).

There is so much talent out there, way way beyond the few hundred people who seem to regularly work above the line in Hollywood.
Obviously, I would say?

There are a thousand Gunns out there. About two or three per any West Coast Starbucks.

HauntedMansionFLA

So, Bautista's return to the WWE is confirmed. ;)

At this point, I could see Disney shelving GotG3. As was mentioned, this movie, and possibly the franchise, is currently toxic. It could change, sure, but I have to wonder if it will. Gotta love the unintended consequences from corporate knee-jerk reactions. Good thing they didn't build a ride... oops... :eek:

I read somewhere (probably in a thread here) that Feige's contract is up in a year or so. Very curious to know what he's looking for, both in salary and direction/control. I don't think salary would be an issue with Disney, so I'd think this will come down to how much control Disney wants to let him have. He's been THE guiding force with the MCU, and as a result Disney has a massive movie franchise it can milk... I mean, use for years to come. I guess it will ultimately boil down to Disney and if they think someone else can do the same job with the same level of effectiveness or not.
Time to re theme the coaster over at Epcot

Mike S

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/entertainment/academy-popular-film-category/index.html

If this category begins in 2019, I will be shocked if Black Panther isn't nominated.
With Infinity War winning, of course. After seeing that movie I immediately thought of having a category like this for movies the public actually went to see (I kid).
I guess the possibility of “Black Panther”, or worse, an animated film :eek:, winning best picture is too much for some people.
I guess so.

the.dreamfinder

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...and-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161
Multiple sources say that Gunn, represented by UTA and attorney Andrew Hurwitz, remains locked in complicated negotiations with Disney over his exit settlement. Gunn has written the script for Guardians 3 and was to have directed the third installment of a franchise whose first two entries (also written and directed by him) grossed $773 million and $863 million, respectively.

Sources say that Gunn, while under contract for the third movie, likely was not "pay or play,” a status that would require Disney to pay him his full fee regardless of whether his services are actually used. Filmmakers typically reach pay-or-play status when a movie is officially greenlit or eight weeks prior to the start of production, neither of which had occurred. But Gunn is not said to have breached his contract because the offensive tweets were sent years before he first signed with Disney’s Marvel Studios.

Some experienced talent reps estimate that due to the unique situation, Gunn could receive a payout of $7 million to $10 million, if not potentially higher. And, more importantly, he would be free to take on another project immediately. Also affecting the negotiations is that sources say Disney plans on using Gunn's script for the third movie.

Princess Leia

Among other changes to the Academy Awards will be a new Oscar for "outstanding achievement in popular film":

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/r...s-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138
Great minds think alike.

The issue I have with this is that the Academy expanded the nominations from 5 to 9/10 because of popular films like The Dark Knight and Wall-E getting shut out. I’ll have to look at the lists when I get home from work, but I think the only two ‘popular’ films that have been nominated since were Toy Story 3 and American Sniper (Toy Story is the only one I would put in true blockbuster category though).

Do we know how this list is going to be curated? Will the Academy just pick the 5 highest domestic films of the year? Because if that’s the case, then Disney is going to be busy promoting everything.

As of today, these are the 5 top grossing domestic films of 2018:

Black Panther
Infinity War
Incredibles 2
Jurassic World 2
Deadpool 2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom