A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

PREMiERdrum

Did they tear down the old Penn Station? How the heck does that happen?
They had to put Madison Square Garden somewhere, right?

FWIW, Newark NJ's Penn Station is still lovely, if miniscule compared to NY's. My wife and I got to know both Penn's well while making regular overnight trips between Columbus, OH to Manhattan to visit the world's greatest fertility doctor.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Since we are throwing out rumors....
7F17ACDF-0168-4E65-880C-6740FD108D0F.jpeg

RandySavage

Did they tear down the old Penn Station? How the heck does that happen?
In 1963, after the automobile had taken its toll on the railway companies. The station, modeled on the Trajan Baths of ancient Rome, was among the grandest structures built in US History - the counterpart to Grand Central - and its destruction became the poster child of the preservation movement, giving birth to New York's Landmarks Preservation Commission, that has since saved scores of treasures from a similar fate.

TrojanUSC

I go both ways on GMR. Is Chapek to blame for killing it, or his predecessors for not updating it in 28 years to keep it more relevant?

I so hate to say it, because I love the ride, but topics like Tarzan, gangsters, cowboys, musicals were barely relevant in '89. Trying to force them on today's kids is never going to work.

Think of the possibilities if gangster/cowboy became GotG/SW with a Ravager or First Order agent performing the hijack? Swap the musicals for Tangled/Frozen/PatF...the lost opportunities there are depressing.

They could have updated it, added some more Disney IP to it or even upgraded the ride system. Many options. They chose the worst one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately, it was said on the CEO thread that Chapek is Perlmutter's proxy, which is why he's getting the look. Perlmutter wouldn't be considered for the job himself due to age (74), and would prefer being puppetmaster versus in the public spotlight - as his insane behavior has shown (the whole tennis club fiasco).

Replacing Great Movie Ride (a POTC/HM/Horizons-level classic) with the Mickey Cartoon ride - for me, the catastrophic equivalent of replacing old Penn Station with New Penn Station - is all I need to know to see a continuing dimming future under Chapek. Was hoping for a turnaround under a new leader who gets(remembers) it.

How...DARE...you?!?!

...Mickey mouse will never suck on the level the Knicks/Rangers do...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, put the Ford on dry pavement...... You are on mucky ground sir!

I have other pictures of exploders towing Hummers out of mud with the exploders in mud, It does help that the old exploders were basically ford ranger F150 hybrids with passenger space instead of a bed so they had a steep attack angle and a low center of gravity.

The New Explorers are basically a Ford Flex/Taurus SHO chassis with a truck body no thanks and they can't deal with a snowy parking lot either.

the Hummers after the H1 series all had shallow attack angles and a high center of gravity and that's why they suck relative to the GMC 2500/Suburban chassis they are built on.

A H1 can go places that only a helicopter or a mountain goat can reach. A H2/H3 can't deal with a snowy parking lot.

c-one

ESPN desperately needs ONE layoff, That would be Skipper (and his trusted lieutenants), The captain of the ship and a turnaround guy brought in. Until that happens Disney will continue to bleed subscribers and revenue.
I have no love for Skipper, that is for sure... but how does whoever's in charge of ESPN affect the subscriber problem? People are cutting the cord regardless. Very curious to see the revenue models for ESPN's OTT streaming service next year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no love for Skipper, that is for sure... but how does whoever's in charge of ESPN affect the subscriber problem? People are cutting the cord regardless. Very curious to see the revenue models for ESPN's OTT streaming service next year.

Espn is not coming back.

It's on the wrong side of a consumer/social/technology change...and that's enough...but it's also made itself irrelevant by being the face of canned programming on cable/satellite.

...it's over, Johnny. There's really never a reason to give espn a second thought unless you're in college and keep vampire's hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom