A sequel? Nah, not this one

the.dreamfinder

@marni1971
What happened?
1600310251648.png

yensidtlaw1969

The idea was Coco overlayed on Gran Fiesta and the Three Cabs into an attraction in Brazil. Then the attraction was cut. Then the pavilion was cut. All pre Covid.
I wish to live in the timeline where it can be said The Three Caballeros have had TWO different rides at Walt Disney World.

Wild.

I never thought we'd live in a world where it could be said they had even one. When they showed up in the Castle Christmas Show a few years back I was in heaven.

Gimme that and a Great Mouse Detective attraction and I could forgive a lot of sins, people.

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

I think there's an easy differentiation there. Coco takes place in Mexico. Ratatouille takes place in France. Frozen does not take place in Norway, and Aladdin does not take place in Morocco. Arendelle and Agrabah are entirely fictional just like Wakanda.

That's also why Mary Poppins somewhat fits in the UK (fits as well as Ratatotuille or Coco, that is). It takes place in London.

I personally still don't want any of those IPs in the World Showcase, but Frozen is worse than Ratatouille in those terms.
Frozen absolutely does take place in Norway. It's actually canon. Arendelle is a fictional old kingdom in what is now considered the country of modern day Norway. In fact, Arendelle was even named after the real South Norwegian city Arendal. The point is, Aladdin doesn't reference Morocco in the film franchise. Frozen does mention Norway in the franchise.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Frozen absolutely does take place in Norway. It's actually canon. Arendelle is a fictional old kingdom in what is now considered the country of modern day Norway. In fact, Arendelle was even named after the real South Norwegian city Arendal. The point is, Aladdin doesn't reference Morocco in the film franchise. Frozen does mention Norway in the franchise.

It doesn't take place in Norway. A fictional old magical kingdom isn't Norway, regardless of its inspiration.

I think claiming otherwise is silly -- you could just as easily say that Lord of the Rings takes place in the UK because parts of it are inspired by the English countryside (and I believe it's supposed to be Earth in the ancient past).

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Just chiming in to second that Aladdin is far less appropriate for Morocco than Frozen is for Norway. Morocco is located on the west coast of Northern Africa and nowhere near “Arabia,” which is a featured detail in the opening of the film.

Neither are appropriate -- although I agree with you that Aladdin and Morocco are somewhat less of a "fit" than Frozen and Norway, I'm not sure the level of appropriateness really matters that much when talking about fictional countries.

More importantly, while Arabia isn't near Morocco and they are not the same place, they still have very similar cultural histories (at least over the past 1000 years or so).

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Just chiming in to second that Aladdin is far less appropriate for Morocco than Frozen is for Norway. Morocco is located on the west coast of Northern Africa and nowhere near “Arabia,” which is a featured detail in the opening of the film.
The obsession with location of setting in nonsensical. Many stories associated with a particular culture take place elsewhere. Morocco may not be physically in or adjacent to Arabia but it is culturally part of the Arab world, is a member of the Arab League and its people are largely Muslim Arab-Berbers.

_caleb

The obsession with location of setting in nonsensical. Many stories associated with a particular culture take place elsewhere. Morocco may not be physically in or adjacent to Arabia but it is culturally part of the Arab world, is a member of the Arab League and its people are largely Muslim Arab-Berbers.
So you don't take issue with Aladdin in the Morocco pavilion?

I agree that Morocco is culturally near to other Arab countries. The Kingdom of Agrabah, however, seems to reflect a broad range of influences (including a bit from South Asia, such as the architecture of the palace and the tiger, Rajah).

I think it would be interesting if Disney would create meet and greet areas themed to fictional places in-between the World Showcase pavilions. Agrabah, Arendelle, 100-Acre Woods, etc. This would help maintain some of the thematic integrity of the pavilions while also creating thematic transitions- Agrabah would fit perfectly in between Morocco and a new India pavilion.

lazyboy97o

Less of a problem. Themed entertainment is storytelling and it makes sense for World Showcase to include stories from the people’s of the world. My preference is towards myth, legend and folklore over the writings of a single author, but time also gives a single author more weight. Stories that are Disney’s creation and set there (especially for a joke) I see as having no place in World Showcase. Things get murky with Disney’s adaptions. At a minimum there is a convenience to using Disney’s character design, typically because as folklore they lacked a very specific image and it wouldn’t make sense to have a second look, which would have to be explained, that is still Disney designed. The murkiness really comes from the changes that occur as part of the adaptation process, at what point is the adaptation so far removed from the source that it’s really a separate thing? At what point does focusing too much on Disney’s adaptations undermine the actual notion of celebrating world cultures?

Aladdin definitely sits in that murkiness not just because of the changes from the source material but also the questions surrounding the story’s origin. But let’s say the movie was a more faithful adaptation and we more conclusive evidence of the story being of Arab origin. Then it would definitely belong in an Arab pavilion even though the setting of this hypothetical movie is now China.

tirian

I agree that Morocco is culturally near to other Arab countries. The Kingdom of Agrabah, however, seems to reflect a broad range of influences (including a bit from South Asia, such as the architecture of the palace and the tiger, Rajah).

I think it would be interesting if Disney would create meet and greet areas themed to fictional places in-between the World Showcase pavilions. Agrabah, Arendelle, 100-Acre Woods, etc. This would help maintain some of the thematic integrity of the pavilions while also creating thematic transitions- Agrabah would fit perfectly in between Morocco and a new India pavilion.
Those places are called Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. ;)

It’s the old-school creative approach to building castle-park lands: inspired by, and evocative of, various real-life cultures and locales, while blended together into a high-concept idea of the thing.

As Tolkien and Lewis once discussed, an idea of something can be more real than describing the object itself. (The answer to “What is a tree?” involves more than roots, branches, leaves, or even the word tree.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom