A sequel? Nah, not this one

LittleBuford

I also find this rumour baffling as I can't imagine it would get beyond an initial pitch quickly killed by someone raising their hand to explain all the ways this would be an absolutely horrible look for Disney. Forget thematic integrity, I can see this being international news and not in a good way for Disney!

Absolutely. If it ever was a serious plan, I’m glad it’s been cancelled.

brianstl

Others can correct me if I’m wrong (I don’t pretend to be a WDW history buff), but of the nine original pavilions, apparently not a single one was paid for by a government:

Original sponsors (as quoted from the linked article):

The American Adventure: American Express, Coca Cola
Canada: (no participant)
United Kingdom: Bass Export Ltd., Pringle of Scotland, Royal Doulton
France: Barton & Guestier (B&G), Guye Larouche, Lanson Champagne, The France Chefs (Paul Bocuse, Gaston Lenôtre, Roger Vergé, and Associate Didier Fouret)
Japan: Mitsukoshi, Inc.
Italy: Alfredo, The Original of Rome, Brolio/Ricasoli & Bersano Wines of Italy
Germany: Bahlsen, Brauerei Back and Co., Goebel, Hutschenreuther, Schmitt Söhne
China: (no participant)
Mexico: Moctezuma Brewery, San Angel Inn
I never said the countries governments had to step up. Morocco is the only pavilion where the government was directly involved in the spending and the Kingdom of Morocco's involvement is the reason all the little details are right. The other countries stepped up with their businesses with the exception of China and Canada. Disney has never really viewed World Showcase as Disney spending mostly Disney money to highlight other countries. It has always been about getting interest in other countries to spend the majority of the money.

Epcot82Guy

I suppose I don’t see such a ride contributing in any meaningful way to the pavilion’s cultural value (which isn’t to say I’d be opposed to it). That’s what I meant.

Ah - thanks for clarifying! I think I flexed on that story line arc awhile ago. (For example, I'm ok with things like Test Track, Soarin', etc.) I think focusing all attractions on educating about the applicable culture could be too restrictive. But, Epcot should remain fundamentally about things in the real world - and inspire (in some way) through that mechanism. So, something like a Matterhorn-esque Fuji coaster feels in line still.

Parker in NYC

In a way, Denmark has been represented since opening day.

The restrooms that were eventually incorporated into the Norway pavilion were originally intended to be part of a future Denmark pavilion. The free-standing structure opened with the park in 1982; by the time the opened in 1988, the pavilion's concept had morphed from Denmark into an amalgamated Scandinavia, before finally settling on Norway by itself.
danish_bathroom.jpg

b46de0209540e952aaaeb40a382dbd91.jpg

epnorwayrestroom.jpg

The facility was remodeled and expanded when the Frozen meet & greet was added. The men's restroom still occupies the original "Denmark" pavilion building, while the women's restroom was moved into the new building next door.

IMG_8247-3.jpg

img_9440_1.jpg

This makes me so sad that I missed it (not the bathrooms, of course)! I wonder if my family saw it in the years before I was born (I'm the youngest by a lot). I know they made regular trips to WDW. Sadly, all I remember was seeing a teddy bear and a keychain at some point in the perfume and expensive sweater shop. Now, I suppose, a Frozen whatever.

Last edited:

tirian

It would still have been anomalous in relation to the other pavilions, which represent specific sovereign states as opposed to generalised regions. Neither this approach nor the Wakanda proposal do justice to the many real countries that make up sub-Saharan Africa.
Ah, you misunderstood. I was comparing it to the idea of Wakanda and joking about how there were once bigger plans than a hut with a Coke machine.

LittleBuford

Ah, you misunderstood. I was comparing it to the idea of Wakanda and joking about how there were once bigger plans than a hut with a Coke machine.

I understood what you meant.

Personally, I’m glad the Equatorial Africa pavilion was never built. Yes, it would have been more fitting than a hut, but it also would have been more difficult to fix or replace. Disney’s priority should be to devote the next pavilion (whenever it is built) to an actual sub-Saharan African country.

UNCgolf

I would only hate a Wakanda boat ride in a Mozambique pavilion about as much as I hate Arendelle in Norway, which is to say-only a little. For some reason, I love the idea of Coco in Mexico. Not a big fan of Aladdin in Morocco, but Ratatouille in France somehow works for me.

I think there's an easy differentiation there. Coco takes place in Mexico. Ratatouille takes place in France. Frozen does not take place in Norway, and Aladdin does not take place in Morocco. Arendelle and Agrabah are entirely fictional just like Wakanda.

That's also why Mary Poppins somewhat fits in the UK (fits as well as Ratatotuille or Coco, that is). It takes place in London.

I personally still don't want any of those IPs in the World Showcase, but Frozen is worse than Ratatouille in those terms.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My mother was first generation American, I think this was a tradition in Denmark with her parents, maybe widespread? That, and rice pudding on Christmas eve. There were others, like... there was no Santa Claus. Instead, my brothers and I were given presents by the Nisseman (I don't know if I'm spelling that correctly). So, when kids at school said Santa wasn't real, I said, "of course he isn't, bu a gnome does hide presents for us around the house."

Nisseman lives at Epcot Norway!...

tirian

I honestly would rather have a World Showcase where we explore "cultures around the world that inspired some of our favorite Disney stories". But, then the pavilions all need to fit that story. Writing the story to match a mixed up mess is the antithesis of Disney Parks' best offerings.

Unfortunately, it would quickly become an over-glossy promo for movie marketing, and WDI would assume all guests have an unhealthy fixation with the WDC. (I’m not implying this about you!) Are all guests so obsessed with the movies that they would care about a theme park devoted to behind-the-scenes DVD bonus content? It already fell apart at the Studios.

It’s the path WDI is taking for all the parks, and at some point “ride the movies” isn’t exciting anymore. Universal already learned that lesson. Even though all their attractions are still based on IP, they’re no longer book reports.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You’re right, they should focus more on movies that I definitely can’t watch anywhere at anytime.

Well, the counterpoint is that documentaries on the history, culture, and architecture of these pavilions are also available anywhere at anytime.

However, I'll agree that Wakanda doesn't belong in World Showcase as its own pavilion. At best, it can have an 'outpost' or M&G located in a pavilion that represents a real country like South Africa or D.R. Congo just like Norway has an Arandelle outpost or how Aladdin and Jasmine are visiting Morrocco from Agrabah.

Better yet, if there's to be an Wakanda, then DHS is the best place for it.

I would have definitely wanted actual Brazil and India, too.

UNCgolf

I still don’t fully understand why OLC’s decision has any bearing on what happens (or doesn’t happen) at WDW.

I think it has to do with the money involved. Disney doesn't want to keep Song of the South in any of their parks because they don't want to be associated with it.

Disneyland and WDW's Splash Mountains are different, so whatever they design for Disneyland can't just be cloned into Disney World. The Splash Mountain in Tokyo basically is a clone of the one at WDW though, so they could do one design for both. Since OLC isn't interested in the PatF version, they'd want to design something else that can replace the Splash at both WDW and TDL instead of having to redesign PatF for WDW and also design something totally different for TDL to get rid of their Splash.

Easier to just design one thing that can work at both WDW and TDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom