A rant against Disney Profiteers

OG Runner

Original Poster
Yes there's something wrong with that, but Disney can't control what guests can or cannot do out of the parks. They try to limit what people can get but that doesn't work because everyone has friends. They try to revoke annual passes from k now profiteers but that doesn't stop the average person. There's not much Disney can do about this kind of stuff so I think we should learn to live with this stuff for know, even if it's wrong.

Please understand, this was never about what Disney does or does not do. Disney, for the most part cannot stop this, (maybe slow it
down a little), but is has been going on for a long time. My sneaker example first happened, to me, in January of 2014.

aw14

And then sold the Heineken they bought for 4 times what it was selling for. I feel, and I do not think I am alone, that this is wrong.
I can't be in California for the opening of Galaxy Edge. I may find a number of items there worth purchasing. Is it really right, for someone
to purchase that item, for the retail price and then sell it at a 400% profit? You may think it is fine. My point is that I do not. As with
anything in these discussions this is my opinion that I am expressing. You may be comfortable, with paying $45.00 for your limited
bottle of Heineken.
I am not sure I understand the dilemma. You have full power and authority over what you purchase. If you do not want to spend $45 on your limited bottle of Heineken, dont. That is you right, and TBH, I wouldn't either.

OG Runner

Original Poster
I can't see buying currently available park merch with jacked up prices, forget it. But there are so many reselling looking for the possible pigeon that would pay the high asking price. Disney Collecting Fever can do strange things to people o_O

They all inherited it from their parents and Cabbage Patch Dolls. (look it up if you are too young.)

Heppenheimer

They all inherited it from their parents and Cabbage Patch Dolls. (look it up if you are too young.)
Christmas season circa 1983, I remember seeing a news clip of pandemonium at a local Kiddy City. Pushing, shoving, screaming, and very distinct yellow boxes being frantically thrown across the store aisles. The cause? Yup, a supply of Cabbage Patch Kids had just arrived.

This was my first indication as a child that perhaps adults are not the level-headed, rational beings I had presumed. This thread brings me back to those thoughts.

DABIGCHEEZ

Some get really creative and have their own auctions(i seen for Disney Pins) on Facebook... They sell "chances" at like $15 dollars a chance with say 50 spots. So while a rarer pin can possibly go to someone for only $15... they make roughly $730 on the auction! And people just buy up these spots with many buying multiple spots. I mean think about it... a Disney pin, I don't care how fancy should not be more than say $30.

Lensman

Some get really creative and have their own auctions(i seen for Disney Pins) on Facebook... They sell "chances" at like $15 dollars a chance with say 50 spots. So while a rarer pin can possibly go to someone for only $15... they make roughly $730 on the auction! And people just buy up these spots with many buying multiple spots. I mean think about it... a Disney pin, I don't care how fancy should not be more than say $30.
Sounds like an illegal lottery to me.

MickeyLuv'r

Seems to me, reselling is kinda good for Disney too, no?

Don't the resellers drive up demand?

I'm not really into this at all, but it is a little like antique dealers and the guys who are on the American pickers show, no?

The resellers only make money if other people buy what they are selling. They are taking a risk: think of all the now worthless Beanie Babies out there, and also the folks who picked up a Van Gogh when he was a nobody. Maybe someone buys the item, but maybe they don't. I slightly laugh at the folks hoarding useless old hunks of metal in their garages, they buy it thinking it will be worth more when they resell it, but instead it just collects dust. I also think of the junk lady scene from the Bowie Labyrinth movie. People get very caught up with their junk these days.

With resellers buying stuff, Disney makes money.

Walmart learned this a long time ago. Time is money. Shelf-time costs the company money.

Marathon merchandise has a particularly short shelf-life. At the end of race weekend, if it is still on WDW's shelf, they won't sell it. All the racers are home, but racers MIGHT buy sneakers off the internet.

In all likelihood, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that WDW itself is one of the mystery resellers. Reselling creates buzz.

Buzz is good for WDW, no?

Edward, I think you are likely better off without an overpriced pair of Beanie Baby sneakers collecting dust in your shed.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Please understand, this was never about what Disney does or does not do. Disney, for the most part cannot stop this, (maybe slow it
down a little), but is has been going on for a long time. My sneaker example first happened, to me, in January of 2014.
Ok, for the RunDisney people...here's an easy solution for Disney which should make everyone happy...when you register, you will have the opportunity to purchase a ltd. ed. pair of running shoes. The runners will have first priority to purchase. They will be mailed to you. If a runner doesn't purchase a pair at registration, the remaining quantity, along with an additional quantity to be determined by Disney will go on sale in time for the marathon. Limit of one pair for everyone...4 in your party, 4 pairs, period. Now this will all hinge on whether Disney abides by their own policies.
The one question no one on here has asked...let's say I'm an "entrepreneur" and I know that these running shoes are going on sale this Friday (for example). If I know about how much profit will be made if I can get x amount of pairs. I don't use an AP, pay full ticket price and make a very nice profit...How will that be stopped?? The ONLY way it will be stopped is if Disney institutes a STRICT limit per person/MB/family. Last year, if I recall, there was a controversy similar to this with the rose color Mickey ears...they were bought quickly in the parks and resold on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Some on here feel that it's not "fair" (which is a very subjective term). I have no horse in this race, I don't sell Disney merchandise, but I will NOT judge a person in 2019 trying to make an extra buck...just won't happen. To the OP, I really mean no disrespect, but if you really want something bad enough, you find a way to make it happen...unfortunately, that usually involves paying a premium for it.

MickeyLuv'r

Disney, for the most part cannot stop this, (maybe slow it

Why would they stop it?

You've explained why you don't like it, but haven't explained why it is bad for WDW.

If you'd easily bought sneakers back in 2014, would you still care about them? They'd likely be long forgotten.

We pine for the things we cannot have, not the ones we have.

OG Runner

Original Poster

It at least sounds like an even chance for everyone.

OG Runner

Original Poster
Ok, for the RunDisney people...here's an easy solution for Disney which should make everyone happy...when you register, you will have the opportunity to purchase a ltd. ed. pair of running shoes. The runners will have first priority to purchase. They will be mailed to you. If a runner doesn't purchase a pair at registration, the remaining quantity, along with an additional quantity to be determined by Disney will go on sale in time for the marathon. Limit of one pair for everyone...4 in your party, 4 pairs, period. Now this will all hinge on whether Disney abides by their own policies.
The one question no one on here has asked...let's say I'm an "entrepreneur" and I know that these running shoes are going on sale this Friday (for example). If I know about how much profit will be made if I can get x amount of pairs. I don't use an AP, pay full ticket price and make a very nice profit...How will that be stopped?? The ONLY way it will be stopped is if Disney institutes a STRICT limit per person/MB/family. Last year, if I recall, there was a controversy similar to this with the rose color Mickey ears...they were bought quickly in the parks and resold on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Some on here feel that it's not "fair" (which is a very subjective term). I have no horse in this race, I don't sell Disney merchandise, but I will NOT judge a person in 2019 trying to make an extra buck...just won't happen. To the OP, I really mean no disrespect, but if you really want something bad enough, you find a way to make it happen...unfortunately, that usually involves paying a premium for it.

I had actually made the suggestion you made in your first paragraph, to RunDisney. I noted in this would actually help New Balance,
also, in that they would not need to guess, as much, as to how many pairs of sneakers to bring. They stated they appreciated the suggestion, but New Balance had their own way of doing things.

OG Runner

Original Poster
Why would they stop it?

You've explained why you don't like it, but haven't explained why it is bad for WDW.

If you'd easily bought sneakers back in 2014, would you still care about them? They'd likely be long forgotten.

I never said it was bad for WDW. I do feel it is bad for WDW customers, and as such it may be something WDW should be
concerned about. By the way, you have absolutely no idea how I feel about the items I purchase. You can keep the fortune
cookie philosophy to yourself.

Kingoglow

Disagree.
For RunDisney, I would make merch available for anyone that finishes the race on a first-come-first-serve basis. Were you the fastest? Great, you win a medal and the opportunity to buy everything up.

Were you last? Sorry, you lost the race. No merch left. Be better next year.

nol_dur

Disagree.
For RunDisney, I would make merch available for anyone that finishes the race on a first-come-first-serve basis. Were you the fastest? Great, you win a medal and the opportunity to buy everything up.

I like this

OG Runner

Original Poster
Disagree.

I sure hope you are a fast runner, considering some years, there are as many as 25,000 runners just in the marathon.

Kingoglow

I sure hope you are a fast runner, considering some years, there are as many as 25,000 runners just in the marathon.

So fast. You have no idea how fast. You gotta be fast to buy all that merch.

Be honest now, a lot of the 25,000 aren't fast at all. Just hobbiest. Not serious Olympians like you and me. They have no chance at all those shoes that I will buy up.

MickeyLuv'r

I am honestly interested in the opinions of people on these boards, in reference to what I see as Disney Profiteers. I clarify profiteers as those....Sorry, for the rant, but I really feel there should be a way to prevent this.
You opened with this request, but when I gave my 'honest opinion' you came back with:
By the way, you have absolutely no idea how I feel about the items I purchase. You can keep the fortune cookie philosophy to yourself.

Please don't open a thread asking for our 'honest opinions" if you don't want to hear an assortment of opinions.

I didn't insult you, I just didn't agree with you.

As the old saying goes, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If you really want WDW, or anyone to help you, then the effective way to do it is to provide persuasive reasoning.

Insulting us isn't very persuasive. Quite the opposite.

NickMaio

Big demand and LOW supply - - - - - Can't say I blame them for wanting to make some money in this crummy economy.
Gotta hand it to them for their entrepreneurial spirit.

We bought a coffee mug a few years ago - - - by accident - it was limited edition. Now the thing sells on Amazon and Ebay for over $300 US.
My wife says we should sell it - - but I love it. We get a coffee mug everytime we go. It is symbolic for that years trip. I could never sell it.

OG Runner

Original Poster
You opened with this request, but when I gave my 'honest opinion' you came back with:

Please don't open a thread asking for our 'honest opinions" if you don't want to hear an assortment of opinions.

I didn't insult you, I just didn't agree with you.

As the old saying goes, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If you really want WDW, or anyone to help you, then the effective way to do it is to provide persuasive reasoning.

Insulting us isn't very persuasive. Quite the opposite.

How is this an opinion?
Why would they stop it?

You asked questions, and then made a statement. I was just responded. I apologize but nothing in your
response sounded like you were just expressing an opinion. I also apologize for the response to your last
line, but it did rub me the wrong way. On the other hand, I was just looking for a discussion, I was expressing
my own opinion on the subject and I am not looking to persuade anyone of anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom