A plywood door with a padlock in PotC queue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWG

This has become my favorite thread of the summer. Especially the castle through way. It reminds me of a before and after basement finishing ad I got in the mail. The after had two doors where concrete walls used to be. Where did they go? Did they add "safe rooms" to the basement?!

TalkingHead

Well, here's something interesting. Earlier there was some grumbling that Disney has become lazy about hiding show buildings by painting them green and planting trees in front of them (talking specifically about Dumbo, an attraction that hasn't even been open for six months). I argued back that Disney has been doing that since day one and that once the trees and vegetation grew in, things would probably be fine. I was offered a rebuttal that SPECIFICALLY mentioned the Haunted Mansion and said that until recent changes were made, you couldn't see the show building. I give you a photo of the Haunted Mansion taken in 1972 (the "glory days"):

HauntedMansionWDW19723.jpg

Hm. It honestly appears to me that WDI put more effort into concealing Dumbo.

This comes courtesy of Passport2Dreams, one of my absolute FAVORITE blogs. The post itself goes on to document several other areas where show buildings have been quite visible for as long as the park has been open. It also shows areas that have been left completely unthemed from day one. I recommend that those with such a distorted rose-colored view of the olden days of WDW give it a read. Things have always been the way they are now, you just didn't have websites like this to document every little thing.

Take a look:
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-away-green.html

Edit: For many decades (including when Walt was alive, at Disneyland), lots and lots and lots of unthemed show buildings were VERY visible from the Skyway. It's also mentioned in the blog post that there are areas of Disneyland where show buildings were visible and other areas were left unthemed during Walt's time. I guess somebody forgot to tell Walt how Walt would have done things.

Funny you should mention it, since the visible Harry Potter show building apparently bothers a lot of the die-hard Disney fans who find it hard to admit the other place can out-Disney the Mouse these days.

BryceM

I can believe the Pirates and ToT doors, but I feel like the Star Tours and Monsters Inc. doors are photoshopped. Especially how the Monsters Inc. door is distorted at the bottom.

Oh and Jungle Cruise door = Photoshopped. But that was funny!

The Empress Lilly

Proof positive that Disney just doesn't care anymore. o_O

castletunneldoor.jpg
But seriously. Any creative painter can make that door on the left look like those doors on the right. Especially if placed in a dark environment such as the Pirates queue.

One hour of work, $50 paint. Add a doorknob with lock instead of the padlock, for another $15, and we are all perfectly happy.
That's all we are saying.

Schmoofy

The door is removed. Behind said door lies a new dock area with more cannonball-attacked structures. If I had my camera on me I would have taken some pictures tonight, but I just wanted to pop in and say "drop the pitchforks".

For reference, you now WALK through this area and around a corner before continuing on the same path as the queue previously. It's literally about a 10 foot detour.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The door is removed. Behind said door lies a new dock area with more cannonball-attacked structures. If I had my camera on me I would have taken some pictures tonight, but I just wanted to pop in and say "drop the pitchforks".

For reference, you now WALK through this area and around a corner before continuing on the same path as the queue previously. It's literally about a 10 foot detour.

I noticed that change last night, too.

I have to say the door was quite noticeable to me, though if it's temporary, it doesn't really bother me.

Castle Cake Apologist

Oh man... forgot all about The Ladder! That just made me so happy. Surely it has shown up in the FLE construction? We've become so apathetic in our documentation of its movements!

The Photoshops in this thread are absolutely priceless.

Glad to hear Doorgate is over. How we ever managed to survive such a brazen attack on the integrity of the Disney name by TDO we'll never know. Lucky were we.

Next Big Thing

To bring this conversation back on topic quickly, as stated, on-stage is on-stage for a reason.

To make a comparison, in a theatrical production (for this comparison, let's just say Disney's NEWSIES), the tech/backstage crew has up until the house opens to make any on-stage adjustments. If you need to change any of the stage lights, move sets, test the microphones, anything, that's the time to do it. Once the doors open, no matter what, everything must be handled backstage from the rest of the show. The audience didn't come to see the techies, they came to see Jack Kelly and the rest of the NEWSIES.

The same mentality should be applied here. When it isn't, it only ruins the illusion. That construction door is akin to watching NEWSIES and the entire show, tools that the backstage crew used before the show were laying across the stage. Your ability to watch the show isn't taken away, but it ruins the illusion while also being completely unprofessional. You guys can joke about it all you want, it just gives TDO more proof that people honestly don't care.

pbrstreet

Doors today, terrorists tomorrow. We must not stop our crusade against doors large and small. Doors are the gateway refurb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom