A plywood door with a padlock in PotC queue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiigirl

Modern Pirates of the Carribean...Those pirates must love IKEA...

lmao... :p

75.gif

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't think it's nearly as bad as this thread is making it out to be, its noticeable... but its just a construction entrance... it's not the end of the World. Your flash greatly enhanced the visibility of it. It's really not anywhere near as bad as the picture paints it to be.

Has it been confirmed that they are installing interactive features? Seems to me that's just what somebody assumed and so everybody ran with it because TDO is just sooooo awful and trying to (inexplicably) ruin their source of revenue. That logic has never made sense to me, but whatever.

I remember a few weeks back when everybody was flipping out over the "interactive" features they were adding in a different part of the queue... and it turned out to just be some nicely themed cannonballs lodged into the walls and new tiling. *shrug*

You're all acting like this door is a new permanent addition to the queue, it will be gone when the construction work is done. Just like always.

And acting like a busy day at DCA is even in the same league as a busy day at MK?

*sigh*

MissM

Original Poster
I don't think it's nearly as bad as this thread is making it out to be, its noticeable... but its just a construction entrance... it's not the end of the World. Your flash greatly enhanced the visibility of it. It's really not anywhere near as bad as the picture paints it to be.
No, I already said it is EXTREMELY noticeable and the flash was simply employed to get a quickly in-focus shot without holding up the line. ALL of the lighting in the queue is brighter right now making it VERY visible. Please read the other replies before commenting.

You're all acting like this door is a new permanent addition to the queue, it will be gone when the construction work is done. Just like always.
*sigh*
Not a single person is acting like it's permanent. But to put something as ugly and un-themed as a plywood door without ANY attempt at concealing it (especially when it's been mentioned that the door has been in the queue for at least weeks already as-is!!) is extremely Poor Show by Disney. Construction happens, yes. But it should NOT be done in a way that utterly and completely spoils the theme, presentation or immersion of the experience. Disney typically has taken great pains to hide the ugliness of construction behind detailed scrims, often times with full color art of what is behind it. You're telling me no one could pain a simple stone wall pattern on the door just to help mask it's presence a little? I mean, it has a BRIGHT BLUE padlock for crying out loud on it! How tacky and un-Disney is that??

"sigh" all you want, but this is bad show, regardless of what the end result is.

Dinardo

I think it would be much more of a problem if it were still this way POST-construction. Right now, it is probably more function than fashion. It looks to me like a temporary structure. As a matter of fact, it is probably hiding some new interactive exhibit and the door was put in place so people won't A) mess with it and B) snap a photo of it. If you look at the top of the elongated door frame, you can see the top of the arch that was the original entrance.

MissM

Original Poster
That door was there a couple of weeks ago and I sent Steve some photos via twitter but they were never posted.
It's even more shocking to me that it's been like this for at least a couple weeks this way without any attempt at concealing it.

MissM

Original Poster
I think it would be much more of a problem if it were still this way POST-construction. Right now, it is probably more function than fashion. It looks to me like a temporary structure. As a matter of fact, it is probably hiding some new interactive exhibit and the door was put in place so people won't A) mess with it and B) snap a photo of it. If you look at the top of the elongated door frame, you can see the top of the arch that was the original entrance.
Of course common sense says it should be temporary, however, it's still truly a terrible decision to leave something so un-themed and ugly in public view in the queue for at they very least, weeks at a time. There is no excuse at Disney for such a lack of attention to detail, even during construction.

Dinardo

I don't understand how they would be able to work on this specific area of the queue without having some temporary structure in place that had an access point. I hate that you had to see this - but you know the next time you walk through this queue, you will be looking at something a little more spectacular than what was already there - that is if this is indeed for an interactive element. I think it is better than shutting down one whole side during the busy season.

Castle Cake Apologist

Please read the other replies before commenting.

Lol thanks, I did. I'm not the only person saying it's not as bad as it looks in your picture. I work here, I've seen it. Didn't need a picture to know how noticeable it is.

I was in no way saying it wasn't bad show, just not the end of the world. There's much worse show elsewhere.

I'm really not trying to be rude to you or anything, I don't even know you. We all do appreciate the update and I REALLY appreciated your Fantasyland pictures. It was more that other people are getting sooooo up in arms about it when it's REALLY not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I was more sighing that somebody tried to compare crowd levels at DCA to those at MK, not even in the same league. Granted, LM probably won't need Fastpass as an Omnimover... but until it opens, we won't know that for sure.

Baloo62

One interesting thing I notice in this photo is the upper scrim in the curve of the arch. Now thats unusual. Wonder if walking under it will trigger some sort of effect?

MissM

Original Poster
I just think if they knew they were going to need to put something in place during the construction - which I do understand - that they would have the forethought to think how it will look to guests. Seriously, how hard would it be to paint a faux stone texture on the door just as a "we know this is ugly, but clearly, we're trying to minimize your disruption." It would take a couple hours at most and it's not like there aren't artistic people at Disney that could handle something like that. Couple colors of grey paint, some sponges and voila! an attempt at addressing the problem.

To me, this is one of those many declining by degrees things. I'm not a Disney malcontent by any stretch of the imagination. Yesterday's visit was to renew our passes. I get great enjoyment from WDW. But I also get very mad when I see the cutting of corners and the tolerance of things like awful on-stage destruction of theme and mood like this. Especially when it's so very easy to fix and shouldn't have even been an issue in the first place. The fact that it's been left this way for weeks is just really, really sad to me. And I just don't get not only excusing it, but defending this kind of approach. You need to do construction, fine. I get that. But, to do it in such a un-Disney manner like this? Sad. Very sad.

Dinardo

I just think if they knew they were going to need to put something in place during the construction - which I do understand - that they would have the forethought to think how it will look to guests. Seriously, how hard would it be to paint a faux stone texture on the door just as a "we know this is ugly, but clearly, we're trying to minimize your disruption." It would take a couple hours at most and it's not like there aren't artistic people at Disney that could handle something like that. Couple colors of grey paint, some sponges and voila! an attempt at addressing the problem.

To me, this is one of those many declining by degrees things. I'm not a Disney malcontent by any stretch of the imagination. Yesterday's visit was to renew our passes. I get great enjoyment from WDW. But I also get very mad when I see the cutting of corners and the tolerance of things like awful on-stage destruction of theme and mood like this. Especially when it's so very easy to fix and shouldn't have even been an issue in the first place. The fact that it's been left this way for weeks is just really, really sad to me. And I just don't get not only excusing it, but defending this kind of approach. You need to do construction, fine. I get that. But, to do it in such a un-Disney manner like this? Sad. Very sad.

I am not saying that I disagree with you that this is very bad show.

Castle Cake Apologist

Again, not defending it. I said it's definitely bad show. I just don't think it's as awful as it's being made out to be.

SIdenote: I was looking through your store... really beautiful stuff! Makes me wish I wasn't broke right now, my mom would love some of that.

Jim Handy

So what about the Fantasyland walls?

Or the crane? *gasp*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom