A PC Haunted Mansion ?! Now that's scary

FECNS

Thats Funny But Is a joke, I can't belive what is said is offending, Disney needs to listen to the MILLION people that enjoy the ride like it is, than a few Thousand that don't.

orleans97

Well, look at what happened when they changed Imagination. People hated it and were VERY vocal about it and they changed it again..Somewhat better but no original, I know.

If people can complain about trivial matters as these, then it should be the same thought that we can then complain about the changes, in mass. Enough complaints that made them change in the first place can make them change again. Make your voice heard to Disney, don't like it, say something about it. TELL DISNEY. I will be going to WDW in the next month or so and I'll give it a shot, but if it completely pulls me out of the mindset that the previous "or current for the time being" CM spiel gives me when entering the HM, then I will certaintly let Customer Relations know. If it is a good change then congrats, but I will not let other people ruin rides because they have nothing better to do then complain. Get a life people, you are not that important. pssst...here's a little secret I found out the other day..everyone dies and most likely you are wretched.So drag your wretched bodies away from WDW and go to the DEAD center of your home and stop bothering humanity...

Thank you and have a dreadful day....
TEEHEE

dox

...I, unfortunately, haven't encountered a maid or butler at HM that was really into their role in quite some time. Many have left out the spiel completely. ...

I have to agree with you completely. I've been visiting MK since about 1973 and its been a long long time since I encountered someone go "off script" (although apparently there is no script). At HM, the only line I hear repeated on each visit is the dead center of the room comment and I try to visit HM at least 2 - 3 times each trip.

It really would be a shame to change something so harmless and part of the fun for so many years due to a few complaints. Chances are these are the same folks who complained about AE and look what that got us. I guess if Disney continues bending to these inane complaints pretty soon they'll just have to do away with HM completely as it dabbles in the occult. Oh boy can you imagine the complaints coming to Universal once HP opens??

VT GAL

Sure, this is only a Jim Hill article and we'll wait and see on this on. However if its true, I will be incredibly pi$$ed and I will go on a huge rant Foamy the Squirrel style. I'm so sick of Disney pitifully giving in to self-rightous PC morons and ruining the classic attractions.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

My thoughts exactly!!!

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

daliseurat

I've actually never heard a really good improv. I've just heard the usually "Drag your wretched bodies to the dead center of the room" line. I doubt very much that guest complaints have much to do with this. It sounds more like some MANAGEMENT type doesn't like cast members improving, and is forcing a script. (which will get tweaked by castmembers I'm certain) For all we know a really clever script will come. Let's remember that lately there have been terrific additions to both DL's Mansion and WDW's.

blackjakkal

*Not the Face, Not the Face*

Speaking as a fan of the HM since of the age of eight, a script makes since. By writing a script full of stage directions and lines frees the CMs and WDC of legal responsibility to a degree. With a script in place, the CMs could not be held responsible if they offend someone with their scripted actions or verse. Every time a CM scared or offended someone by following the actions of the script WDC would be the party held responsible. So instead of suing a single CM the offended individual would have to take on WDC itself. The same safety applies to WDC itself if a CM doesn't follow the script.

Another possible point is with a script in place WDC could have the legal advantage of leaning on the event as more of theatrical performance. It could be assumed that suing a play for offending a single audience member who came of their free will would be virtually impossible. Maybe the script will allow the WDC to be more chilling for all guests and be a great proactive measure for the future of the WDC.

A future possibility is a script would allow additional effects. Additional effects could be a effect of the Maid or Butler disappearing in veil of mists when the lights turn on. Or a subtle effect of the Maid or Butler disappearing when the lights turn on, appearing outside the room, or above the audience.

*jumps behind something heavy to dodge the blows*

Enderikari

Its called freedom of speech, if you dont like it TOUGH! If you're children wont ride the haunted mansion because they are scared, then maybe they're not old enough to understand that it is fake. WAIT a couple years, don't complain to Disney that it is not politically correct and ruin it for everyone else.

Boy are you passionately fighting the wrong battle. Cast Members who are drawing paychecks from Walt Disney World do not have the freedom of speech, much like I am certain you do not at your job. Excluding things like non-disclosure agreements (which are plentiful around WDW) and media trained cast for tv interviews, even the basic hourly cast member has restrictions on what they can or cannot say. Jungle Cruise skippers work from a script, safety spiels must be delivered as written for ultimate clarity, and cast members must refrain, in many occasions, from giving a guest a piece of their mind.

Jim Hill is an idiot. Political correctness should have never entered into this conversation, because it has nothing to do with anything about this issue. Walt Disney World is a show, and in theater, everyone plays their role according to the script and how the director envisions the scene. Some CM's at the mansion understand that, and subtly add their own variations to widely accepted comments which are not harmful, or offend anyone. However, some of the CM's have taken things a bit too far, and are disrupting the show, and the directors (Imagineering) vision of what that show should be. So they need to reign it in, and if a script is what it takes, so be it.

Normally, I would agree with you. People do not have the right to not be offended. But, who are you to argue with what WDW wants to do with its attractions to make them as appealing, and consistent to the most number of guests possible.

benzgraveyard

My opinion is about people who are offended obviously. If you dont like something dont be a part of it!!! Right or wrong? Just like censorship on radio and Tv....if you dont like it DONT watch it!! Same goes for the haunted mansion, or any other disney ride or attraction for that matter. If you find it offensive for some stupid reason or another, SKIP IT!

Enderikari

My opinion is about people who are offended obviously. If you dont like something dont be a part of it!!! Right or wrong? Just like censorship on radio and Tv....if you dont like it DONT watch it!! Same goes for the haunted mansion, or any other disney ride or attraction for that matter. If you find it offensive for some stupid reason or another, SKIP IT!

Agreed, but two things -

A: I don't really believe Jim Hill when he says that people being offended is the reason the Mansion is being retooled

B: If something is that offensive, and there is a noticeable lack of decline in the business (not that this is happening to the Mansion, far from it, which is why I think Jim Hill is full of it), then that business, for pure financial reasons, will either begin to appeal to a different audience, or become less offensive for its own reasons.

Enderikari

Oh and by the way, I have COMPLETE freedom of speech at my job as a bartender :)

Bartenders that I know do experience a much more lenient work environment, but if you screaming at each paying customer and calling them names, business at that establishment would go down, to the point where you would either be reprimanded or removed.

Plus, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded bar

Sherrybaby

Ask and ye shall receive, that is my motto! You made your own bed, time to lay in it!

LOL isn't it obvious that I don't care? LOL LOL (and you ain't my "Daddy".) I ignore the flames just like Merf. I just carry on....whistle whistle while you get flamed!

Sherry

maggiegrace1

LOL isn't it obvious that I don't care? LOL LOL (and you ain't my "Daddy".) I ignore the flames just like Merf. I just carry on....whistle whistle while you get flamed!

Sherry
Apparently you do care if you keep responding...and what is with the LOL..LOL..LOL?

As for your "Just like Merf" statement..We do not flame Merf...Merf contributes alot of good to this site even though he and I do not always agree and we argue..

You seem to just want to be like someone you are not and you are not doing a good job at it in my opinion..It seems to me like you WANT people to attack you:shrug:

sittle

...if no one minds that I stray back on topic for a minute...

This (haunting-cleansing of the HM) is such a pity (if it's true).

I have experienced a fantastic CM at the HM who made all the difference in the world... in 2005 we had EJ, who had us in stitches, he gave the evil eye to my wifes' little sister, and kept haunting the three of us so well, we rode 5 times consecutively... on the last ride he managed to dash from the one side of half filled hanging room in the dark (with the lightening flashing) to within inches of my wife's side with the spookiest look she screamed like never before (and she's a experienced Disney vet, over 20 trip, and countless rides on the HM)... We took time out of our day to leave positive feedback for him at City Hall...

In contrast: last year we had this other CM with a bad case of the doldroms who was a completel BORE and we waited until later in the evening to come back hoping for a better CM.. and we got it, and we kept coming back for more then....

If they do make these changes, I do hope they allow some room for improv, it can make or break a ride on this one.

A more current example, has anyone had TJ as your Bellhop at ToT??? AMAZING!! They actually use this kid in most of their advertising shots (and here he is participating in the Year of a Million dreams http://www.______________.com/ViewImage.aspx?ImageID=105132) if you've ever had him bellhop for you, you will know the power of what a little improve can do.... He is wicked funny, and had us ride 4 times consecutively one day, he changed it up each and every time, I let the Disney Management team know I appreciated his skills... Skills to pay the bills..

Will someone please stop the politcally correct train... derail it.. then steal the wheels... this just has to stop!!

Honestly these rides are supposed to be a little scary...

1disneydood

Disney is such a pushover. What if they didn't change the script in HM? What if they kept AE. What if the pyrates still chased the women? What if CM's pointed with one finger? What if they put fragrance in the soap? Would it really make a dent in their revenue? Would normal people care who these small things offended? I'd gladly pay $5 more pet ticket to have "easily offended" people just have to deal with it. :lol:

kimmychad

Ok so you know what will happen now that you have posted a Jim Hill article here right? Flame, flame, bash, bash (the I'm better than you and Jim Hill scenario for people who don't leave their computer rooms for the real world).

I would get some popcorn and watch the flames, but now that I've said that and everyone is too busy bashing me on another thread I have probably saved you some flames for even dreaming of *reading* Jim Hill.

What's my take on this? If it's true I don't care one way or the other. I think it will hurt the CMs the most since they will lose some of their excitement, freedom, and creativity.

My son was so scared one time by a CM who opened the door he almost refused to ride and my son is really not afraid of anything. It just hit him wrong (pun intended) when the CM hit the door over and over again and then said a few things about entering to meet our deaths or something or other. I realize at night the HM is scarier and I think CMs have the "OK" to make it scarier at night. When we ride during the day we don't encounter such "scary" CMs.

It might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing, but until we see it in action we will not know. I have no plans to go to WDW anytime soon, partly due to treatment on this site ruining some of the magic for me and partly because we are enjoying traveling around the "real" world.

Sherry (the flame queen and proud of it!)

lol why in the world would you let anything said to you on this site have any impact on your vacation plans?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom