A new Toontown at WDW (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
With Mickey's Toontown Fair supposedly succumbing to the Fantasyland expansion, I felt that we need to create a brand-new Toontown for Walt Disney World. Mickey and the gang need someplace to call home. And please, don't argue that they don't "live" in WDW, that they "live" in Disneyland. They need someplace to live, don't they?

Anyway, that's what this thread is about: a new Toontown for Disney's Florida resort. But where should it go? I think it should be Magic Kingdom.

Stratofarius

How about this: put it in DHS, and then not only you have a place for Mickey and the Gang to live in, you also have a place to put all the new Roger Rabbit attractions that might be coming with the upcoming sequel.

mharrington

Original Poster
How about this: put it in DHS, and then not only you have a place for Mickey and the Gang to live in, you also have a place to put all the new Roger Rabbit attractions that might be coming with the upcoming sequel.

I don't know. I feel that Mickey's main area should be the Magic Kingdom. That's where they celebrated his 60th birthday in 1988, with the location that evolved into the Toontown Fair area.

As for Roger Rabbit, until we hear some real words on the subject, I will just take these ideas with a grain of salt.

_Scar

Mickey and friends river raft E-ticket with Pete as the villain.

I can see it being similar to Popeye, which would be an amazing ride!

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't know about Oswald. And why would we have the most reliable spot for Mickey and the gang be the Studios?

mharrington

Original Poster
Because Toontown was originally planned for the Studios in keeping with the 30s-40s Hollywood feel of the park.

But that was a long time ago and things had changed since then. Of course, Michael Eisner had a hand in the things happening the way they did...

Stratofarius

But that was a long time ago and things had changed since then. Of course, Michael Eisner had a hand in the things happening the way they did...

And that was probably one of the best ideas. The Toontown at MK is a piece of nothing compared to the Toontown at DL. The idea of the Toontown at the Studios would not only bring new attractions to a park that NEEDS it, it would make a park that pretty much died thanks to Eisner closing the Studios part of it rocket back to popularity. Of course, to not overcrowd it, you could have a much more detailed experience at the Studios and a different, simpler experience at the Magic Kingdom.

mharrington

Original Poster
And that was probably one of the best ideas. The Toontown at MK is a piece of nothing compared to the Toontown at DL. The idea of the Toontown at the Studios would not only bring new attractions to a park that NEEDS it, it would make a park that pretty much died thanks to Eisner closing the Studios part of it rocket back to popularity. Of course, to not overcrowd it, you could have a much more detailed experience at the Studios and a different, simpler experience at the Magic Kingdom.

I agree that the Toontown in MK is not much at all. But unfortunately, in recent years, at least according to David Koenig in his book, "Realityland", the whole resort (or at least the non-MK parks) started to echo the first park's fantasy personality (you can blame this on its popularity and the fact that it's number one). You can read it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=504897. The thing with the Studios is that it has abandoned any pretense of being a real studio now.

So I'm still on the fence about where to put Toontown. In the meantime, we should determine what exactly to put in there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree that the Toontown in MK is not much at all. But unfortunately, in recent years, at least according to David Koenig in his book, "Realityland", the whole resort (or at least the non-MK parks) started to echo the first park's fantasy personality (you can blame this on its popularity and the fact that it's number one). You can read it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=504897. The thing with the Studios is that it has abandoned any pretense of being a real studio now.

So I'm still on the fence about where to put Toontown. In the meantime, we should determine what exactly to put in there.

Put it in DAK...after all they almost have it now and M&M are animals.

Plus...it would be a great people eater while they close EE to fix the Yeti!

Grizzly Hall 71

Oh, yeah, I also thought of replicating DL's Toontown at Disneyland Paris, because that, too, is relatively simple and has almost nothing in the way of meeting Mickey and the gang.

Where would it go in MK though? There's no more room. At DHS they can knockdown the toll plaza off world rdrive and use that land to the east of LMA.

But if there is a Toontown created it should be based off the one that Robert Zemeckis and his crew created in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Omegadiz

I see 2 options, of course TDO wouldnt approve of 1 or any.

1) MAGIC KINGDOM - Place a really big ToonTown in the space east to where they were gonna put the Dumbo Circus. Make this place more like a city or district. On one side, of the area there would be a residential area like DL's with some Chicken Little theming. on the other side it would become the city, with Goofy's Driving School (ill make a post on that) and 2 or 3 more attrations. There would be a small shop, Daisy's Bow-tique and a full sized entertainment restaurant, House of Mouse!!!! (ill make a post on that)

2) DHS - It would be like toon studio, but it would echo the whole studio aspect.. Like the begining of Roger Rabbit. There would be little portable sets and things. A show, where the characters are rehearsing for a big time show (thats the show itself). Not many attractions world really fit here though........:brick:

jt04

I think they should add a permanent m&m m&g on MSUSA. Actually themed as a house somewhere on the street. Possibly in the still open side street by expanding into the backstage area. It could have several identical rooms to meet guest demand. Also a permanent Goofy m&g at the fire station. Sheriff Donald et al could be placed in Frontierland.

Then they could place a Roger Rabbit-esque toontown as an extension of the Animation Courtyard. They need to close the BLT to do so but that is long overdue anyway. By closing the BLT there would be plenty of room. Then imagine if they put all the support functions possible for DHS on the other side of World Drive and then connected the new area to the park by a tunnel or enclosed themed bridge for ease of access. Then DHS would have all the space required for decades. Imagineering vacated some of the offices so it is possible they are empty anyway.

Grizzly Hall 71

I think they should add a permanent m&m m&g on MSUSA. Actually themed as a house somewhere on the street. Possibly in the still open side street by expanding into the backstage area. It could have several identical rooms to meet guest demand. Also a permanent Goofy m&g at the fire station. Sheriff Donald et al could be placed in Frontierland.

Then they could place a Roger Rabbit-esque toontown as an extension of the Animation Courtyard. They need to close the BLT to do so but that is long overdue anyway. By closing the BLT there would be plenty of room. Then imagine if they put all the support functions possible for DHS on the other side of World Drive and then connected the new area to the park by a tunnel or enclosed themed bridge for ease of access. Then DHS would have all the space required for decades. Imagineering vacated some of the offices so it is possible they are empty anyway.

I think that on the other side of World Drive could be used a new and better Backlot Tour. With actual soundstages and more sets. :D

Omegadiz

cool idea. If they do that, the tunnel would be kinda like the one in Roger Rabbit. But im really into the idea of making things in the park unique, so with a Roger Rabbit ToonTown, what would be the main differences from its cousins in DL and TDL? Then it would reall have to use the distict idea, but it also cant be too big or it might as well be a theme park........... right? It cant have too much distance away from DHS to be a part of it...or can it?:shrug:

mharrington

Original Poster
Where would it go in MK though? There's no more room. At DHS they can knockdown the toll plaza off world rdrive and use that land to the east of LMA.

But if there is a Toontown created it should be based off the one that Robert Zemeckis and his crew created in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I just feel as though that being as it's the big kahuna with kids, the Magic Kingdom should be the most reliable place to find Mickey and the gang, and they need someplace to live, even if it is a vacation spot. You can't really give them houses at the Studios.

But yes, it should be based off of the Toontown of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", with or without Roger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom