A Mostly-EPCOT Update

dxwwf3

Wow that's certainly odd about the new mugs. I love my Pop Century specific mug and I have no idea why they would want to make these generic. That's a shame.

CJR

Are they taping the Disney Channel Games in WDW? If so do you know when they will be taping? We're going in June and I know my brother and sister would love to see all that in action. That's about all they watch when I'm at my parent's place.

imamouse

I'm good with that, and agree with your assesment on the unique resort stuff disappearing -- I'm just saying that I don't want to hear anybody pull out the "Hahhah! Now all you drink thieves are getting your comeuppance!"

LOL

What I'm wondering is since the new mugs only have the year on them, will they be good for an entire year instead of just the length of your stay? Is there any fine print on them that states the rules of use? Are they the same price as the traditional resort mugs?

Thanks for the awesome photos and update!

juan

Are they taping the Disney Channel Games in WDW? If so do you know when they will be taping? We're going in June and I know my brother and sister would love to see all that in action. That's about all they watch when I'm at my parent's place.

its a cast-as-extras event occurring within the next few week

ToTBellHop

LOL

What I'm wondering is since the new mugs only have the year on them, will they be good for an entire year instead of just the length of your stay? Is there any fine print on them that states the rules of use? Are they the same price as the traditional resort mugs?

Thanks for the awesome photos and update!
It's still only good for your visit, but Disney clearly has decided that since most guests only make a visit (and stay at the resorts for long enough that they would get a mug) once a year or less, so they can save money on designs by only making one new mug per year and still force people to get a new mug every year (and now it will be much more obvious if you are using an older mug since the current ones will look very different from previous years, arguably). It's all about making more money and spending less money.

Figment82

Love the photos - thanks for sharing! Funnily enough, the one you have of the Castle and Spectro - I have one almost exactly like it except the castle is yellow. We must have been in the same spot. :)

I used to collect the resort mugs, but gave up a few years ago. Shame to see them go away. I still treasure my Dixie Landings one with the SotS characters on it, as well as my '94-era Contemporary one. I guess I should have kept collecting them - who would have thought they'd bite the dust?

WDWRLD

Ive run out of room on my shelves for all the different whirrley mugs and popcorn buckets. Every PO design I like less...First was the SOTS design that was great...Then went to the yellow and green POR design which was great also....then there was the Magenta,purple and gold POFQ and POR universal ones.....just OK......and now just like everyone elses. What keeps people from hotel hopping and using the mugs everywhere now?
Anyhow...great pics and I do like the new design of the soaps. I was getting tired of the yellow,black and red "is everybody clean and happy" design of the old ones.

brkgnews

Original Poster
Love the photos - thanks for sharing! Funnily enough, the one you have of the Castle and Spectro - I have one almost exactly like it except the castle is yellow. We must have been in the same spot. :)

Think I took the photo Thursday night -- and yep, I have a few orange/yellow ones. There was someone a few peeps left of me during Wishes taking multiple photos. I had my itty bitty tripod set up on the bridge railing. It's kind of funny -- I took several pictures of the parade using the tripod -- when you scroll through the windows slide show, it looks like it's animated. :)

PoTCGuy

Hmmmm...interesting......

A view of the future...
2007-04-ProjTom06.jpg

And from a description of the "re-imagined" Spaceship Earth posted previously here http://www.wdwmagic.com/general_epcot_news.htm:

"On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from the caves to the cosmos.....

...This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future."

(emphasis added by me)

Could we be seeing a return of the astronaut or space station in some form as part of this rehab? :slurp:

(I know, this probably belongs in the Spaceship in Spaceship Earth thread :D )

Thanks for the photos!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i like the new logos... a small feel of the past yet they look current.

secondly, i like the communicore logo in the carpet. i had never noticed.

DisneyMusician2

I agree with the mug problems. This "Disney Parks" concept may be getting out of hand... If I can't get resort-specific stuff anymore, I'll be really disappointed. It was the fun of staying at individual resorts to get the cool stuff from each one!

Laura

Premium Member
I'm way excited about the new SSE! Whoo hoo.

I don't care about the mugs. The food courts are always too far a walk from the room anyway. We just bring a cooler of our own soda.

ToTBellHop

I'm way excited about the new SSE! Whoo hoo.

I don't care about the mugs. The food courts are always too far a walk from the room anyway. We just bring a cooler of our own soda.
well that's the thing--I agree and I would seldom go out of my way to fill my mug--I usually just filled it for breakfast in the morning, filled it again for the bus ride to the parks and the first few minutes in the parks (I go in the summer...those little mugs don't last long lol) and then maybe fill it again at night...it wasn't as though I was trying to "get my money's worth." The mugs were as much a souvenir as anything to me, and these mugs just feel much less special.

JimboJones123

Good, now I can get a free refill whenever I leave after Jiko or Ohana or Whispering Canyon. I'm big on these mugs being resort wide now!!!

paul436

I like the resort specific mugs as well. It just seems to make more sense to me. I had a few from different resorts over the years but my kids used them all the time until they were so dirty I couldn't get them clean anymore and had to throw them away. There are so many other WDW things with the year on it but resort specific stuff was tougher to come by.

SDav10495

Could we be seeing a return of the astronaut or space station in some form as part of this rehab? :slurp:

Definitely a possibility, I'd say. I wonder what kind of shape the old space station is in and, if it's usable, I wonder if Siemens will realize it's just there for the taking...

Personally, that particular screen on the globe just makes me wish they'd bring Nova Cite back to EPCOT!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom