A lot of history just plain unnoticed:

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
While walking through the parks, I sometimes just sit back and absorb all of the details. It's an overload at times, but then again you can find some treasures that most people would just plain walk by...

Here are some of my favorites:
1. Mike Fink Keelboats: I know these are gone for good, but I was one of those kids who wanted to fight river pirates with Davy Crocket. In the last two Davy Crocket episodes produced by Disney, they focused on the boats heavily. Davy Crocket was essential to Disney, because the show raised the capitol he needed to open Disneyland. I guess that by removing the boats, a permanent piece of Disney lore is now gone.

2. The Liberty Tree: Liberty Square has some of the best themed imagery, but I think that as an American, I take too much for granted. The tree with candles... is a Liberty Tree, popularized in Disney's film version of Johnny Tremain. Listen carefully to the music, and you can hear some tunes that sound like "In the Army Now...". However, the sound is actually called "The Sons of Liberty".

3. Details in general: Look at every fascade, and you'll find countless details. Animal Kingdom in particular, has some of the greatest attention-catchers. Hidden Mickeys are terrific. Looking for bits of old attractions when a new one takes over is also fun.

What else does everyone else notice?

tnkrbell

I Love just walking around looking at Details also!! Its great on e-ticket nights or when the park is officially closed. Last time we noticed the pet cemetary at the HH!! We had never noticed that before!! I love the blds at AK also they are sooo real looking!!

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Grim Grinner
While walking through the parks, I sometimes just sit back and absorb all of the details. It's an overload at times, but then again you can find some treasures that most people would just plain walk by...

1. Mike Fink Keelboats: I know these are gone for good, but I was one of those kids who wanted to fight river pirates with Davy Crocket. In the last two Davy Crocket episodes produced by Disney, they focused on the boats heavily. Davy Crocket was essential to Disney, because the show raised the capitol he needed to open Disneyland. I guess that by removing the boats, a permanent piece of Disney lore is now gone.

2. The Liberty Tree: Liberty Square has some of the best themed imagery, but I think that as an American, I take too much for granted. The tree with candles... is a Liberty Tree, popularized in Disney's film version of Johnny Tremain. Listen carefully to the music, and you can hear some tunes that sound like "In the Army Now...". However, the sound is actually called "The Sons of Liberty".

3. Details in general: Look at every fascade, and you'll find countless details. Animal Kingdom in particular, has some of the greatest attention-catchers. Hidden Mickeys are terrific. Looking for bits of old attractions when a new one takes over is also fun.

Thank you...I'll look at the tree next time! (3 weeks...yeah!!!) I also miss the keel boats...it wasn't a "popular" ride or scary, which meant you had something for the little ones to ride when the park was crowded!

Dumbo Deprived

I love to look at the details too. I think a lot of people take the details for granted and focus too much on the rides. I love the rides too but the details are one of the things that sets Disney apart. Some of the other parks (IOA) are catching on, but they still have a ways to go in my opinion. :)

General Grizz

Marcia! You changed your screename! :eek:

Some things to notice...hmmmm...Cinderella's wishing well! :D ]

And the fountain. You know the drinking fountain? Well if the little kids take a drink, they will look up and see the statue of Cindy with a crown...(due to the angle when seeing her with the background). Try it next time!

starlight

All the lamps, sculptures and carvings at AK.
Also at AK ~ Asia is way cool to soak it up.

The Netsuke collection in the museum in Japan at Epcot, best I've ever seen.

The gardens and fountains everywhere.

JEDI1138

Next time you enter EPCOT, listen to the music in the Leave a Legacy area in front of Spaceship Earth. The Music is excerps from the Future World Attractions OLD and New, but what IS REALLY Neat is where the music is coming from. A few months ago Disney replaced the original entrance plaza speaker system with just FOUR YES FOUR speakers. ONE in each of the side flower beds. The new speakers came out of WDI, They are about 6 inches in diameter and probably 12 feet high, and look like a pole. The Engineer I work with said they were real expensive to build, but the sound they produce IS worth it. Give them a Look and Listen. Anybody else Noticed them?

NowInc

WDI puts 110% effort into making sure that you dont realize how much work is put into it....confusing???

Basically what that means is if you can tell its fake...theu didnt do their job correctly...which is why there is such high levels of detail EVERYWHERE in the parks.

Some of the things I enjoy observiing are the way they make things look old. Animal Kingdom has more of this than any other park..things are rusty..dented...paint is peeling....and its like that ON PURPOSE. It really adds to the illusion.

I dont know if any of you have been to DisneyLand Paris, but I can tell you that DLP is a prime example of how much WDI has evolved. When they made that park, they re-invented the style in which they do things, and every park SINCE then (AK, DCA, TDS) has shown this new and improoved style.

Rooster

Grim Grinner you make a great observation. AS I got older I started to enjoy taking breaks during the day just to observe and soak in the environment. I fear however when my daughter gets a little bit older I will be back to running from attraction to attraction to see all that can be seen as I did as a child.:cool:

Tramp

.....as a kid, you can really enjoy the parks for all their fun....as an adult, you get to truly appreciate them too...

...everytime I see the plane at MGM that Walt used to find the property in Central Florida, my imagination runs wild...how difficult must have it been for him to look down at all the swamps and decide that's where he wanted to build the WORLD...
...how many of us today would take that risk today?

DisJosh

Originally posted by Grim Grinner

I don't know if you were aware... but the Sons of Liberty were a terrorist group! lol Not trying to ruin your thread just thought that it's weird they should name a patriotic song after a colonial terrorist group. :D

I'm sorry I probably screwed up the vibe of this thread but sometimes I just have to say the random things that pop in my head out loud. :D

I personally love Epcots music...the music in future world just blows you away. I don't think I ever noticed it or appreciated it until my last trip to WDW. W/o the music thats constantyl playing in the backrounds at the parks I think that feeling ya get that makes you feel so imersed in a certain enviroment would be lost. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom