A long time Disney fan turns sour!

Phantom Mickey

To a large extent, yes. There have been plenty of valid arguments here and I agree TDO and overall Disney could be doing things better for upkeep and maintenance and bringing in new attractions rather than shoehorning where something used to be. As far as guests, there are undoubtedly more than ever before, and with FP, EMH, ADR, insert acronym here, it has become necessary to plan plan plan every minute if you don't visit often. I've visited over 25 times this year and about 1/4 of the times DW and I were not feeling the magic, so we left after a half day. But being PH we knew we would be back soon. If we were on a non hopper 4 day and had one of the non magical expereiences, I'd have a vastly different opinion on things.

Oh i don't know about that. Yes, we are seeing guests expectations and actions change but so is Disney.
Prices are soaring, and to get even more, you are losing perks. The never expiring ticket is long gone as are other perks that used to be afforded to the guest. Fast Pass, if you look deep, is doing guests no favors. WDW originally had unique foods and pastries, how well are you enjoying your hamburger and BBQ chicken/ribs today? Downsizing of cast members and maintenance people has caused problems with the park and out side grounds.

and recently a blogger going to DL posted this beauty. Be sure to read the comments as one really hits home.

for comments search:
Why I'm furious with Disney and Park Ops | Total disregard for guest experience

You can't put the blame on the guest as Dizzy should be doing all they can to bring them in and entertain them. The Guest will change and react to changes that the Disney Company puts on them.

John park hopper

I have posted my prespective elsewhere, The population of FL in 71 was 7 million it is now 20 million, the US population is now 300+ million and growing. As others have posted international travelers to WDW were non existant in 71 not now . In response to the increase in population Disney has built more and more on site resorts, more and more DVCs ---pack the parks with as many people as they can. The surrounding areas of Orlando have built more and more hotels to capitalize on WDW and Universal. As a business Disney has every right to maximize attendance and profit and that is what they are doing. The low crowd periods are getting far and few between and as long as people will accept the crowds, the increasing costs, the lower customer care, the generic food offerings it will continue until it affects Disney's revenue. I love WDW- the WDW I remember in the 70's-90's. I'm just alittle disappointed in what it has become. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Phantom Mickey

The low crowd periods are getting far and few between and as long as people will accept the crowds, the increasing costs, the lower customer care, the generic food offerings it will continue until it affects Disney's revenue. I love WDW- the WDW I remember in the 70's-90's. I'm alittle disappointed in what it has become. Just my 2 cents

I too remember the park in the 70's. There was an excitement in the park, the cast members, care for guests. Park tickets were dirt cheap, but these were the times of the A thru E ticket books. The restaurant on the way to Tomorrowland had a stage that came up from the lower level with the band singing away, the special pastries, chefs, foods.
The MK IV monorail drivers actually did the announcements as you traveled to the parks and by the hotels. later we'd see Pleasure Island with its halloween costume contests and the Empress LILY serving happy guests. It was a different time.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Oh i don't know about that. Yes, we are seeing guests expectations and actions change but so is Disney.
Prices are soaring, and to get even more, you are losing perks. The never expiring ticket is long gone as are other perks that used to be afforded to the guest. Fast Pass, if you look deep, is doing guests no favors. WDW originally had unique foods and pastries, how well are you enjoying your hamburger and BBQ chicken/ribs today? Downsizing of cast members and maintenance people has caused problems with the park and out side grounds.

and recently a blogger going to DL posted this beauty. Be sure to read the comments as one really hits home.

for comments search:

You can't put the blame on the guest as Dizzy should be doing all they can to bring them in and entertain them. The Guest will change and react to changes that the Disney Company puts on them.

Omg I had to stop after 11 minutes of this crybaby.

Omg I had to stop after 11 minutes of this crybaby.

I got all the way through and it was awful. I did not know one man could get so upset about parking because he didn't realize the park opened at 9 not 8. Plus his comments about how if Disney just spent 100 dollars to put two extra staff members at windows shows he has no idea how payroll works. This was a super whiny video. But hey he's allowed to feel how he wants about it.

DisneyDoctor

for comments search:

I understand his frustration here. That would totally suck, and he's right there is an easy fix to the problem.

But, sheesh, this one day of bad parking has put such a burden on this man's life. I feel sorry for him, it's as if he's unable to let it go. He was still burning with frustration at times during the video. You can attribute it to passion, but I've gotta think that there is a way to control his stress and frustration. This isn't saying this man is at fault, I've let things bother me much too long as well. But it's not healthy mentally or physically.

Tony the Tigger

"A long time Disney fan turns sour!"

I think some of us just think it's more likely: "A longtime sourpuss goes to Disney."

Many of us have written and read trip reports that are simply honest about things we loved and about things that didn't go so well. That's not pixie-dusting, just being honest about our experiences.

There is an obvious difference between those accounts vs. an entire ranting post full of negative after negative (or constant negative posts across many threads by the same person.)

We've all met people in life who are nothing but negative. They create their own problems all around them and blame others for it. They're on facebook, they're in our social circles, and they're on this site.

I have no use for such people. I've put up with them, I've tried to show them "the bright side," I've tried offering different perspectives on life.

I live a relatively optimistic life, and I'm less likely to be bothered by a missing towel or a less than perfect server. There is no value in getting upset over optional entertainment. The overall experience is wonderful, or I wouldn't keep going. If it becomes less than wonderful for me at some point, Disney has no obligation to cater to my whims while their parks are full. I don't pretend "they're going down" or "the magic is gone." It's a simple value proposition. If/when the value is gone, so be it. If they discontinue the Florida resident weekday only AP's, I don't see us getting AP's very often. I'm not going to be mad at them about it.

You can be happy and still have things go wrong here and there. So much of it is the way you choose to view, cope with, and handle things. I think we are seeing people on this site falling into various camps of more complain-y vs. more carefree.

But when someone has written fair trip reports or accounts of their experiences, they have (IMO) more credibility with their critiques than someone who is just full-on negative all the time.

People who are "fake happy" get on my nerves, too. That's not what I'm advocating here. I don't think that's any healthier than being negative all the time.

But I find it hard to believe the 100% negative posts are more to do with Disney than with the person writing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"A long time Disney fan turns sour!"

I think some of us just think it's more likely: "A longtime sourpuss goes to Disney."

Many of us have written and read trip reports that are simply honest about things we loved and about things that didn't go so well. That's not pixie-dusting, just being honest about our experiences.

There is an obvious difference between those accounts vs. an entire ranting post full of negative after negative (or constant negative posts across many threads by the same person.)

We've all met people in life who are nothing but negative. They create their own problems all around them and blame others for it. They're on facebook, they're in our social circles, and they're on this site.

I have no use for such people. I've put up with them, I've tried to show them "the bright side," I've tried offering different perspectives on life.

I live a relatively optimistic life, and I'm less likely to be bothered by a missing towel or a less than perfect server. There is no value in getting upset over optional entertainment. The overall experience is wonderful, or I wouldn't keep going. If it becomes less than wonderful for me at some point, Disney has no obligation to cater to my whims while their parks are full. I don't pretend "they're going down" or "the magic is gone." It's a simple value proposition. If/when the value is gone, so be it. If they discontinue the Florida resident weekday only AP's, I don't see us getting AP's very often. I'm not going to be mad at them about it.

You can be happy and still have things go wrong here and there. So much of it is the way you choose to view, cope with, and handle things. I think we are seeing people on this site falling into various camps of more complain-y vs. more carefree.

But when someone has written fair trip reports or accounts of their experiences, they have (IMO) more credibility with their critiques than someone who is just full-on negative all the time.

People who are "fake happy" get on my nerves, too. That's not what I'm advocating here. I don't think that's any healthier than being negative all the time.

But I find it hard to believe the 100% negative posts are more to do with Disney than with the person writing.

Riiigght, A pixie dusting blogger who does a weekly show on Disney is suddenly a 'hater' No the real problem is that Disney has gone too far in servicing Wall St forgetting that they are a business based on high touch customer interaction, not pumping out widgets on an assembly line and needing to create the lowest possible cost per widget

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Riiigght, A pixie dusting blogger who does a weekly show on Disney is suddenly a 'hater' No the real problem is that Disney has gone too far in servicing Wall St forgetting that they are a business based on high touch customer interaction, not pumping out widgets on an assembly line and needing to create the lowest possible cost per widget

Anyone who doesn't drink their kool-aid, or get high on their brand of dust is nothing more than a sourpuss hater. You won't convince these sorts of people otherwise, because they only see what they choose to see. Everyone else is wrong and below them, obviously.

DisneyDoctor

Anyone who doesn't drink their kool-aid, or get high on their brand of dust is nothing more than a sourpuss hater. You won't convince these sorts of people otherwise, because they only see what they choose to see. Everyone else is wrong and below them, obviously.
You're literally perpetuating this same attitude that you claim we have! You talk down to us, just as you claim we talk down to others.

I'm all for kitchen innovation, but I think it's time to retire the spork! Hahaha sorry that's a bad joke.

Tony the Tigger

Case in point: negative across many threads.

Case in point: ditto.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You're literally perpetuating this same attitude that you claim we have! You talk down to us, just as you claim we talk down to others.

I'm all for kitchen innovation, but I think it's time to retire the spork! Hahaha sorry that's a bad joke.

You're talking about yourself here right?

Case in point: negative across many threads.

Case in point: ditto.

All we need is input from @21stamps to complete today's mutual admiration society meeting.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We'll be here all week, folks.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.55.28 PM.png

Good for you.

b5y3k1F.gif

21stamps

I mean.. I was paged deliberately.. :)

What TonytheTigger said is absolutely correct.
There are few trip reports where someone has a 100% No Issue Experience.

Actually, I haven’t read one such report.

The difference is overall attitude of these people vs the overall attitude of the people who come here and only complain. I try to live in a No Negativity Zone as much as possible.. try it sometime. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom