A long time Disney fan turns sour!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't agree with this, as there are tons of career opportunities here outside of the tourism bubble that pay very very well. You can have a very nice life here if you put forth the effort.

Don't those opportunities typically get extended to locals by preference? Because that's how it typically goes except in specialized/low labor pool tasks. Orlando is certainly no different.

But I'm not really talking about professionals...more the ex college program dreamers who say "why can't I move there?"

...and end up driving out of town after working magic kingdom stroller rental paycheck to paycheck after a few years...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Average salaries for Atlanta, Orlando, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dallas. One can move well past the average statistics in any region, including Orlando.

If you have an in...this is no different than anywhere. Nepotism always was and will continue to be the most attractive line on the majority of resumes.

Not to say there aren't "self made men/women" in Orlando...but it's not as fertile other markets. I've been in several including that one.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Don't those opportunities typically get extended to locals by preference? Because that's how it typically goes except in specialized/low labor pool tasks. Orlando is certainly no different.

But I'm not really talking about professionals...more the ex college program dreamers who say "why can't I move there?"

...and end up driving out of town after working magic kingdom stroller rental paycheck to paycheck after a few years...

No, not necessarily. I've hired people from all over the US, most companies prefer the right fit and ability over location. Especially when one desires to be in the location that you're hiring in. Degree sometimes, but rarely makes a difference unless you're specialized.

I don't think very many people come here to actually work in the bubble in a front line capacity, unless they're starting out or are bored from retirement.

There are a significant number of professional jobs in the bubble as well, I know many people who make quite a bit of money behind the scenes or in professional positions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, not necessarily. I've hired people from all over the US, most companies prefer the right fit and ability over location. Especially when one desires to be in the location that you're hiring in. Degree sometimes, but rarely makes a difference unless you're specialized.

I don't think very many people come here to actually work in the bubble in a front line capacity, unless they're starting out or are bored from retirement.

There are a significant number of professional jobs in the bubble as well, I know many people who make quite a bit of money behind the scenes or in professional positions.

I'm not disputing if that can happen. But would you recommend that anyone up and move into an Florida market on the "how hard is it to find a job?"
Premise?

Of course not...and there's a lot of that. Believe it or not, you can be far more successful blind relocating around New York cIty.

Any low infrastructure, low tax area is gonna make finding long term wealth more difficult. Just my experience That is a counterpoint to yours.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm not disputing if that can happen. But would you recommend that anyone up and move into an Florida market on the "how hard is it to find a job?"
Premise?

Of course not...and there's a lot of that. Believe it or not, you can be far more successful blind relocating around New York cIty.

Any low infrastructure, low tax area is gonna make finding long term wealth more difficult. Just my experience That is a counterpoint to yours.

I recommend they research the area they want to live in as well as the job market here; and if there are jobs in the fields of interest, apply now and let them know your intentions when they call. Don't wait to get here before starting the job search.

Some companies here (and everywhere really) may even assist with the relocation for the right person. There are also full time telecommute options for a lot of careers.

It's really not difficult to find well paying work here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I recommend they research the area they want to live in as well as the job market here; and if there are jobs in the fields of interest, apply now and let them know your intentions when they call. Don't wait to get here before starting the job search.

Some companies here (and everywhere really) may even assist with the relocation for the right person. There are also full time telecommute options for a lot of careers.

It's really not difficult to find well paying work here.

So after 10 years...I've finally cracked your prickly, realist shell and found a delicate bunny of optimism hiding underneath...
Will wonders never cease...

MAGICFLOP

"A long time Disney fan turns sour!"

I think some of us just think it's more likely: "A longtime sourpuss goes to Disney."

Many of us have written and read trip reports that are simply honest about things we loved and about things that didn't go so well. That's not pixie-dusting, just being honest about our experiences.

I have no use for such people. I've put up with them, I've tried to show them "the bright side," I've tried offering different perspectives on life.

I live a relatively optimistic life, and I'm less likely to be bothered by a missing towel or a less than perfect server.
I think your missing the original posters point, its not a missing towel he is complaining about. The bus rides he described is horrible and combine that with the other stuff. The problems with his room you expect with a $49./ night room. These thing don't happen in a well maintained resort. People need to check the rooms for operations and comfort, not wait for the guest to call and say something is broken.
I too am one of the sour pusses you talk about, I was very happy at Disney for years, I went every year from 88 to 2000 and got an AP from 2000 to 2015 in which I visited 20 days a year. I loved it, even visiting that often, they managed to sour me. My wife and I just enjoyed being there, we rode very few rides, ate in the restaurants and just hung out.
When they changed and added the bands for entry and FP it really flipped me. Every time I tried to enter the park, the CM would say to touch the band to the Mickey and I asked with a smile "do you need my ticket and ID" and every time they said 'oh no', yet every time they ended up asking for it. I made a ton of trips to guest services to no avail(even gave me a new band). The one time I wanted FP, I made them for the 3 of us for a couple rides and all went well on the first ride, then the 2nd ride my wife and kid got on, but they had no FP for my band. During the same time I had a Disney rewards card with 80+ dollars on it and bought the kid a slushy that wiped out the $80, good thing the CM saw it, it was a computer error, she charged me correctly, it took a manager to come straighten in out (over 1/2hr).
Added to just a few of my encounters above, the with all degradation of service and increase in fares, I have just lost interest. If you could tell me that the next time I go, it will be a reset to the 2000 quality/service, even with today's prices, I would be there in a heartbeat.
I am sure the CM's have it rough and people probably pound them with unreasonable demands, so that adds to decline.

Maybe I am seeing it wrong, I honestly cannot tell you within $10,000 dollars, how much I have spent at Disney over the last 4 decades, heck I can't tell you how many times I have spent over $200 for dinner. Perhaps I cheap out, so I am not getting service that I think i should. I have over the years never complained once to Disney or a CM or at any place I frequent for that matter, my answer is, I just don't go back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think your missing the original posters point, its not a missing towel he is complaining about. The bus rides he described is horrible and combine that with the other stuff. The problems with his room you expect with a $49./ night room. These thing don't happen in a well maintained resort. People need to check the rooms for operations and comfort, not wait for the guest to call and say something is broken.
I too am one of the sour pusses you talk about, I was very happy at Disney for years, I went every year from 88 to 2000 and got an AP from 2000 to 2015 in which I visited 20 days a year. I loved it, even visiting that often, they managed to sour me. My wife and I just enjoyed being there, we rode very few rides, ate in the restaurants and just hung out.
When they changed and added the bands for entry and FP it really flipped me. Every time I tried to enter the park, the CM would say to touch the band to the Mickey and I asked with a smile "do you need my ticket and ID" and every time they said 'oh no', yet every time they ended up asking for it. I made a ton of trips to guest services to no avail(even gave me a new band). The one time I wanted FP, I made them for the 3 of us for a couple rides and all went well on the first ride, then the 2nd ride my wife and kid got on, but they had no FP for my band. During the same time I had a Disney rewards card with 80+ dollars on it and bought the kid a slushy that wiped out the $80, good thing the CM saw it, it was a computer error, she charged me correctly, it took a manager to come straighten in out (over 1/2hr).
Added to just a few of my encounters above, the with all degradation of service and increase in fares, I have just lost interest. If you could tell me that the next time I go, it will be a reset to the 2000 quality/service, even with today's prices, I would be there in a heartbeat.
I am sure the CM's have it rough and people probably pound them with unreasonable demands, so that adds to decline.

Maybe I am seeing it wrong, I honestly cannot tell you within $10,000 dollars, how much I have spent at Disney over the last 4 decades, heck I can't tell you how many times I have spent over $200 for dinner. Perhaps I cheap out, so I am not getting service that I think i should. I have over the years never complained once to Disney or a CM or at any place I frequent for that matter, my answer is, I just don't go back.

I can tell you that they systematically started to gut the quality and service around 1995 and accelerated that through the 2000's.

There's a direct inverse relationship between the size of the Walt disney company and their their guest service committment. It's about the ledger sheet...basically.

Tony the Tigger

So don’t go.

But to me, you are another prime example of how it’s all about perspective and attitude (in all of life, not just Disney.

We’ve had issues at the gates more than once.

We take it as, “Oh, well” and move on with our day. If there’s anything we can learn from it to avoid that situation in the future, we do.

You get sour. Different strokes. Except I have a better time.

Errors happen everywhere, including Disney. Always have, always will.

Tony the Tigger

Good luck with that. There's a lot of baggage that comes with living in Florida.

Or a lot less baggage re: Snow, ice, general climate, no income tax, lower car insurance, and a half-price sale on housing if you are coming from NY/NJ/CT etc.

I have to wonder if the magic disappears once it's easier to visit daily/weekly/etc.

I’m guessing it would be less urgent to go eventually. I moved to FL for the beach 20 years ago. For the past 15 years, I’ve pretty much only gone to the beach when out of towners visit.

Don't those opportunities typically get extended to locals by preference?

Depends on the business, but depending on the level of commitment, that makes perfect sense. Many people think they want to live here and don’t make it through their second summer or first hurricane. Employers want stability.

DisneyDoctor

So don’t go.

But to me, you are another prime example of how it’s all about perspective and attitude (in all of life, not just Disney.

We’ve had issues at the gates more than once.

We take it as, “Oh, well” and move on with our day. If there’s anything we can learn from it to avoid that situation in the future, we do.

You get sour. Different strokes. Except I have a better time.

Errors happen everywhere, including Disney. Always have, always will.
Dwelling in the past really is a direct cause of negativity. My short time on here has been truly eye opening. Maybe it's something about the internet that allows people to vent, who knows. But, I'm pretty thankful I don't have many negative dwellers in my life.

Example: GF got sick first day of May 2017 trip. Took it slow a few days, had more fun than ever before, dare I say fell more in love. Turned a negative into some of the best memories we will ever make. There are silver linings everywhere, but I don't think many people on here are looking.

ThistleMae

Snow birds are different...where Florida typically fails is when transplants of younger age/lesser means go to attempt to do "normal life" - by northern standards...there isn't a lot of open opportunity beyond low wage service/tourism. It can be quite a culture shock for those people.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I've spoken to quite a few locals about the lack of opportunity to get a decent wage. I'm retired, so this is a non-issue for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I've spoken to quite a few locals about the lack of opportunity to get a decent wage. I'm retired, so this is a non-issue for me.

Exaclty...if you're a retired NYC cop...driving the boat in Epcot 18 hours a week is a blast...

If you're 25, borrowed $216,000 for a dime a dozen IT degree and want to pay for your car, shelter, AND food?...it could be an uphill slog.

As always...it's better to be an orthopedic surgeon :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom