A long time Disney fan turns sour!

Minnesota disney fan

We are going the end of February, beg. of March. We've never been this time of year. There is the Garden Festival though, so not sure how much of an influence this will have on crowds. I do support the argument that Disney is crowded no matter when you go, that we have seen the end of the low crowd levels. We shall see.

We are going FEb 27 to March 7th, too. I believe the Art Festival is over on Feb. 19th? But the F & G begins the first of March. I've never been this time of year and can't wait. Always wanted to see the beautiful flowers at Epcot! Have a great trip:)

21stamps

Maybe we can crowdfund a Disney trip for them :hilarious::hilarious:
With as many hiccups that I have wherever I go? The complaining would be never ending. I need go-with-the-flow/stay positive in the face of mishaps peeps.
No thanks, I’d pass on Disney if it meant I’d be surrounded by negatively.
Luckily, my friends and child are accustomed to the given hiccups.lol

phillip9698

I'm glad I was able to experience Disney pre-internet and the reason I say that is because now with people on the internet pouring over every minute detail concerning the parks and dining guests not only are aware of every available option in the park they take it as a failure if they don't experience the best of the best at every turn. For example last trip me and my wife decided to eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe, it's a fun place where the cast is able to make the meal a little more special with "secret" interactions. Only problem is those special "secret" tidbits are not secret anymore and you end up with families going down the list of things to say to trigger these scenes all night long and it wears out not only the cast but other guests. We literally experienced seeing a mother very upset that the cast member wasn't doing what they were supposed to do each time she uttered a phrase. It was extremely off-putting. I'm lucky enough to take business trips to Orlando from time to time and I like to eat at Disney when I can and I've never had any issues with finding a great place to have a meal a few days out. Did I manage to have dinner at O'Hana, no but there are plenty of other resorts with fantastic restaurants to try. In fact I've never eaten at O'Hana but I have tried California Grill, Boma, Flying Fish, Tusker House, etc.... Not once have I let that ruin my trip.

I think people spend so much time online putting together the "perfect" experience that they often overlook that other places and experiences may lead to just as nice a time. They focus on one missed opportunity and let it sour the entire trip.

I'm really looking forwars to our first trip with our son. He doesn't have a clue as to which rides are the best, which restaurants are highly rated, or anything. We are just going to have a good time and not sweat it if we can't get to eat dinner in the Castle.

Last edited:

Starlight67

Totally agree with having been able to experience Disney pre-internet (first time was in 1989.)

You didn't HAVE to do a whole lot pre-trip planning back then, and there really weren't the means to plan in any significant way anyway. You could learn about the parks using Fodor's guides if you wanted to, but not required. First time I was there was pre-paper fast passes let alone magicband technology . There was just a simplicity around these 'old days' of Disney. I appreciate that time even more now. You basically went to the park, bought your ticket and spent the day. Every line was a stand-by line and that's the way it was. Line too long for your liking you would just move on. Every single guest was in the same boat. There was absolutely no reason not to take in the park in a slow and relaxed manner, you weren't rushing anywhere. Plenty of time to stop and apprecia te details and find hidden mickeys. (Could be rose colored glasses memories but that's how I remember it today.)

As best I can I still try to keep the Disney as non-orchestrated and planned as I can. Setting up a few fast passes here and there-but otherwise going with the flow. Less headache, less hassle and more fun this way. I'd rather skip some attractions than feel pressured to do EVERYTHING.

Totally agree with having been able to experience Disney pre-internet (first time was in 1989.)

You didn't HAVE to do a whole lot pre-trip planning back then, and there really weren't the means to plan in any significant way anyway. You could learn about the parks using Fodor's guides if you wanted to, but not required. First time I was there was pre-paper fast passes let alone magicband technology . There was just a simplicity around these 'old days' of Disney. I appreciate that time even more now. You basically went to the park, bought your ticket and spent the day. Every line was a stand-by line and that's the way it was. Line too long for your liking you would just move on. Every single guest was in the same boat. There was absolutely no reason not to take in the park in a slow and relaxed manner, you weren't rushing anywhere. Plenty of time to stop and apprecia te details and find hidden mickeys. (Could be rose colored glasses memories but that's how I remember it today.)

As best I can I still try to keep the Disney as non-orchestrated and planned as I can. Setting up a few fast passes here and there-but otherwise going with the flow. Less headache, less hassle and more fun this way. I'd rather skip some attractions than feel pressured to do EVERYTHING.

This was how I did my last trip and I really enjoyed it. I made a couple reservations and some fastpasses, but I walked around and enjoyed myself. Did I see everything or ride everything? Nope but all the better reason to go back someday! :)

Tif

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your last trip. I used to got to WDW as a child and have gone again every year over the last 3 years. I have to say that I really think the issue lies in the growing crowds and the FP+ system that seems to cause a much longer standby wait (with at least 30 FP+ going ahead of every 10 standby people).

Our first trip over the last 3 years was over Spring Break (haha I know.... what were we thinking?!?!!? But we didn't know any better) and we had made zero plans (lol I know I know...)! Needless to say, Disney was miserable for the entire family. We also took the bus and decided never to do that again. UO & ISA were very manageable and enjoyable with the express pass that you are able to buy at the park. Sooo worth it!!!! My next trip to Disney was later that year in late September. It was supposed to be "slow season", but it honestly wasn't slow. It turned out being an alright trip. No major complaints, but my husband wasn't too impressed. We could have done better planning, however. My 3rd trip to Disney was Early September and this time I did a ton of planning. We ended up going to MK on a day that started out pouring rain, but quickly cleared up, and let me tell you, it was the most magical time I had ever spent at the MK as an adult!!! Most every ride was a 5-10 min wait, seriously! (aside from SDMT and Peter Pan). Within 2 hours we had done all our favorite rides. We got to ride many rides 2-3 times. We were able to take in the small details, hangout in gastons tavern (which was almost empty; I even got my coffee served to me while sitting in Gaston's chair! haha) and do all the things we never got to do before, because of the usual long waits and large crowds. It was honestly like experiencing an entirely different park from the year previous! Then we went again this year in mid October and it was crowded again. We did our planning so it wasn't terrible, but definitely nothing like our prior experience in September. I guess I say all of this, because I'm convinced that Disney is still a great park, but its really just too crowded most of the time. I guess slow days are still possible, just very rare and kind of a hit or miss :/ My experience in September still gives me hope that the Magic is still there, however.

I hope your next trip is a much better one! Maybe next time you could try doing Disney After Dark (no waits) or MNSSHP (I read rides are basically walk on for some of the slower parties)... or maybe even try going to Disney in September. Perhaps the crowds would be a little lighter then this experience was for you. We never use Disney transportation or stay on site, so we aren't at their mercy when we are ready to leave the park after a long day, and we get a nicer quality hotel at a better value. I also hear Disneyland has shorter waits and requires less planning (no ADR I think? FP done in park on the same day instead of 60 days in advanced)... that may be a trip worth checking out! :)

Tiffany

ThistleMae

I was just thinking. I do read about everyone upset at cost, and bang for your buck, and getting less, and taking your 14th trip not seeing the magic anymore. I have to admit, I am still planning on how I will afford my next Disney Trip. Is that a definition of insanity.
No, you just love Disney. I get it. It costs more and more, like most things, and we figure it out.

ThistleMae

Yes, we do the same. We get our 3 FP's and stroll in between. We'll wait in a line if it's not too long, otherwise we will go to the shows and have a nice relaxing dinner. We'll go to the fireworks or shows at night and then chill back at the resort. My daughter and her kids will stay in the parks to the bitter end, even if EMH is super late. They also squeeze in a Universal Day. So they are much faster paced than we are. But...we are all going together this year, family reunion, there are 12 of us and we are going to try to stay together for the most part. It will be a bit more hectic but hoping we have a good enough schedule to have some peace in between the crazy. The hardest time we have is QS lunches because my grandsons are super picky eaters and that will limit where we can eat...but we are expected to have a great time no matter what.

Jedi Stitch

Ah yes, The days were rope drop meant you were going to get to ride the ride you wanted and maybe a few other before you had to start waiting in some serious lines. Then staying after fireworks when the families all move out and the lines are more manageable. Now we set up our FP for the day and ride or see what comes our way knowing we are at least going to hit 3 of our favorite rides that day.

phillip9698

One thing that's funny to me is reading the comments about the missing cheese sauce and too many hamburger hotdog QS ruining dining. Back in maybe 2011 I took my then GF now wife to Disney and it was the first time she went since her mom took her as a child. You know what the one restaurant she said we had to visit was........ Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe. It's the only place she requested by name and it's because she said as a kid her family ate there, she loved that you could get cheese sauce with anything, and she liked the food. Now if we put together a list of the best restaurants at WDW how far down would we have to go before we got to Cosmic Ray's, pretty far. Just goes to show that to have a great time with the family you don't need the best of the best at every turn. Just go with the flow, and enjoy your vacation.

freediverdude

Uh huh, I'm the troll. Ok sparky.
Keep up the good fight. Corporations can and do plant people in forums to control the narrative about their companies, and they were successful over on the disboards. I'm hopeful that because this site isn't beholden to Disney by virtue of being a travel agency that we can keep it from happening over here.

largemarge

I just returned from trip number 13 (lucky) and must say that the magic for us is now is primarily in the resorts! We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for the first time and it was beyond perfect. Such a lovely little resort, pristinely clean, and always calm and quiet. We also did a little jaunt to Trader Sam's at Polynesian (our highlight of the trip) and then Mizner's Lounge at the Floridian, which ended up being more enjoyable to us than park time!

I will admit that I was pretty disappointed in the crowds on Friday and Saturday, seeing that our last two trips the wait times were rarely over 30 minutes on most attractions, but this time the parks were PACKED OUT with tour groups from out of the country. I also must admit that watching multiple people hop the fence at the Happily Ever After garden viewing party (that was not cheap) due to it being so crowded and watching one of the "hoppers" have a panic attack in the area took away from the experience a little. Although I'm fairly certain that I would have been also having a panic attack had I been stuck in the massive fireworks crowd as well and not safe in our little garden bubble (worth the ticket I'd say)!

I, like many others, have also come to the sad conclusion that there just isn't going to be a slow time to go anymore, which honestly will more than likely impact how often we make it back in the future. We decided that when we do return, we'll allocate more time to relax at the resorts as opposed to spending most of our trip in the parks.

John park hopper

I just returned from trip number 13 (lucky) and must say that the magic for us is now is primarily in the resorts! We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for the first time and it was beyond perfect. Such a lovely little resort, pristinely clean, and always calm and quiet. We also did a little jaunt to Trader Sam's at Polynesian (our highlight of the trip) and then Mizner's Lounge at the Floridian, which ended up being more enjoyable to us than park time!

I will admit that I was pretty disappointed in the crowds on Friday and Saturday, seeing that our last two trips the wait times were rarely over 30 minutes on most attractions, but this time the parks were PACKED OUT with tour groups from out of the country. I also must admit that watching multiple people hop the fence at the Happily Ever After garden viewing party (that was not cheap) due to it being so crowded and watching one of the "hoppers" have a panic attack in the area took away from the experience a little. Although I'm fairly certain that I would have been also having a panic attack had I been stuck in the massive fireworks crowd as well and not safe in our little garden bubble (worth the ticket I'd say)!

I, like many others, have also come to the sad conclusion that there just isn't going to be a slow time to go anymore, which honestly will more than likely impact how often we make it back in the future. We decided that when we do return, we'll allocate more time to relax at the resorts as opposed to spending most of our trip in the parks.

The resorts can be very nice but i must admit we go to enjoy the parks. With the crowd levels and frankly the decline in civility of many who go to the parks it has become less enjoyable then they were in the past. For that reason we will not begoing again unitil the 50th Anniverassay of WDW in 2021 --rather we are doing an Alaskan cruise this year. We love WDW but over the years its lost alot of the magic. IMO bad corporate management at the expense of guests

Minnesota disney fan

My husband and I are going to POFQ for the first time, too, in 5 weeks. Can't wait to experience this resort. Our home resort has always been POR, but due to the dog friendly status, we had to change. Good to hear good things about POFQ.

macefamily

I love reading these comments because as Disney fans, yes we all are, it's so very familiar to us. As I've said in several posts, because my daughter was in the Disney College Program from August to January, we had one of the best fall seasons of our lives. Yes, my daughter (and her boyfriend) had to work very hard for us to enjoy those perks, but it was incredible. To be able to visit from Pennsylvania in September, October, and December was a dream. We did extended weekends where we'd fly out of Philly on a Wednesday or Thursday night and fly back at 6:00AM on a Monday. I was most surprised at the crowds in early December because I thought we were going to hit a slow week. No way. On top of that, the temps were in the 40's at night which I thought would scare people away. Again, no way. I thought the best trip was in October. This was our first Mickey's Halloween. The park was decorated fantastically. The Trick or Treat part of the night was very unexpected, but pretty fun for us to do. The shows were great, and because it was limited admission, the crowds weren't too bad. When you can walk onto Pirates and Jungle Cruise, that's pretty good. My daughter is home, and back in college. This will be something we'll never experience again because I don't think either of my son's want to do the Program. Disney has changed over the years, and yes, it seems like it's always crowded, but it still is a Magic place. Hopefully, we'll be planning our next trip in the next few months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom