A long time Disney fan turns sour!

21stamps

You haven't read the whole thread. Here are a few examples from the last few pages.

• This is a perfect example of someone with misaligned expectations, who could have benefited from some practical advice before going. Now they are blaming everything on WDW and the system, loss of magic, etc.
  • ...because they feel like they are entitled to being catered and pampered at all times.
  • The change we’ve seen at Disney over the past few decades is mostly the behavior of the guests, not the company itself.
  • So TLDR you're upset because it was crowded in a popular vacation destination in mid-December.

It’s clear that you only like bashing and not actual suggestions.

Most people here are giving advice and suggestions. Some expectations are too high, some people wrongly believe that you must make all FP at 60 days out and all dining at 180 days out. It can drive a person crazy if their expectations and planning are too high.

Go somewhere outside of Disney.. you will still make advance reservations for a few specific experiences/dining. You will still spend thousands of dollars. You will still most likely not have a vacation that mirrors the th commercial for your destination.

Most of the complaints here are applicable to travel in general, not just Disney. If people see that then maybe they will adjust their expectations...and their trips will greatly improve.
..or we could just join in the bashing and pretending that Disney is just a complete ripoff and only fools will vacation there.

DisneyDoctor

It’s clear that you only like bashing and not actual suggestions.

Most people here are giving advice and suggestions. Some expectations are too high, some people wrongly believe that you must make all FP at 60 days out and all dining at 180 days out. It can drive a person crazy if their expectations and planning are too high.

Go somewhere outside of Disney.. you will still make advance reservations for a few specific experiences/dining. You will still spend thousands of dollars. You will still most likely not have a vacation that mirrors the th commercial for your destination.

Most of the complaints here are applicable to travel in general, not just Disney. If people see that then maybe they will adjust their expectations...and their trips will greatly improve.
..or we could just join in the bashing and pretending that Disney is just a complete ripoff and only fools will vacation there.
You've been served, Spork! The other cutlery has had enough! :cool:

I hope it's clear that this is an attempt at light humor.

pax_65

This argument has never worked for me, because Disney is such a unique destination. As I think back to other vacations I've taken, they have NOT required nearly the planning or money that Disney requires, but they were totally different vacations. And while I enjoy laying on a beach or touring a city, I've always LOVED WDW.

My point - and the point of the OP - is that the WDW experience has changed. When you compare WDW today to WDW of 10 years ago, it was better in the past. And that is sad.

DisneyDoctor

This argument has never worked for me, because Disney is such a unique destination. As I think back to other vacations I've taken, they have NOT required nearly the planning or money that Disney requires, but they were totally different vacations. And while I enjoy laying on a beach or touring a city, I've always LOVED WDW.

My point - and the point of the OP - is that the WDW experience has changed. When you compare WDW today to WDW of 10 years ago, it was better in the past. And that is sad.
I agree that Disney is one of the most unique vacation destinations in the world. I love it for the same reasons as you and most other people on this forum.

But, I have to wonder if other places around the world have changed similar to the change you speak of with Disney. I have to admit my travel experience is very limited, so I can't really use experience to answer this. But, I'm curious if anyone else has input that can help answer this. Is the entire vacation industry changing, or are these changes unique to Disney?

wdwfan4ver

I've never understood how people don't enjoy themselves on vacation. As a child, vacations came maybe once every 4 years. It could've rained every day and been crowded, but if I was at Disney I was happy. I'm not saying OP is this way, but I think some people are much too privileged for their own good. Seriously, enjoy the fact that you're on vacation with loved ones. /QUOTE]
You have to understand that No one is going to have the same exact experiences as you and the people you are with in your party. Some people will have legit problems and have the right not to be pleased.

Take a look at what happened to my 3 relatives when they stayed at a Value WDW hotel in November. Keep in this group has no kids or spouses in it at all.

The 3 relatives stayed 5 nights at a WDW value hotel in November and had a problem on the 2nd night their night there with it being on a Tuesday. The problem was resort maid service didn't do their room at all. The 3 relatives spent all day at Sea World and went back to their hotel room in the 6 to 7 at night time range with it looking like their hotel room wasn't even touched by at all according to them. I am going by 2nd hand information.

The fact is a WDW hotel room is supposed to done before 6 or 7 at night for housekeeping. Housekeeping is one of the things that is included in your stay at a WDW hotel even for a value hotel since it is a service you pay for. Most people staying at WDW hotel would be unhappy if it appears housekeeping wasn't in their room at all while they are gone.

While my relatives complained to the front desk, there was no reason for housekeep not doing their job a first place.

DisneyDoctor

And that was enough to ruin their entire vacation? Sure, that might be an inconvenience, but at the end of the day is that really going to ruin a vacation? The housekeeping staff are people. Have you ever made a mistake at your job?

Plus, nothing in that original post suggests that I think everyone has the exact same experience. In fact, my main argument is that people should roll with the punches when things like the one you described come up. That in itself suggests that I KNOW everyone's experiences are different.

@wdwfan4ver

wdwfan4ver

That's pretty harsh of you to wish a disability on someone.
Daryl W was not happy about what read online about people with scooters and we don't know if he encountered rude people at the parks also. Daryl W has a wife that has disabilities and has to a use a scooter. It is possible that he had to encounter guests that made nasty comments to his wife or based on what he read online about people that use scooters on Disney forums. I can't blame him for his feelings.

I have a rough idea because there are some people that can be very nasty at WDW to the point that it can hurt their experience.

The truth is people have made not so nice comments about people who use scooters. People on this forum have made comments about how their love ones were treated poorly by rude because they had to a ride scooter for medical purposes.

I have an aunt that went to Magic Kingdom in 2016 and treated like crap by other guests at MK because she uses a scooter. My Aunt uses scooter because has medical problems that makes it hard for her to walk. My Aunt's own 3 granddaughters, her daughter and her husband was there when park guests said nasty things about her because she uses a scooter. My Aunt tried to make her 3 granddaughters first time at MK a fun and great experience for them, but it is not right for her family seeing her being treated bad by rude guests. My Aunt privately had some not so nice kind words about the rude guests because made her so angry. I can't blame her.

My Aunt did have good experience at MK with her family, but the truth there is no reason for rude guests saying nasty things to her. What she liked was how nice and helpful the cast members were to her and her group.

Last edited:
But seriously, to attack someone else who doesn’t have the exact same experience as you (positive or negative) is juvenile.

I have been following Rusty on this thread and I think it's safe to say that you missed a lot and inserted something that wasn't there........
Oh and Stamps and our resident medic, you two, too, might want to reread some of these exchanges.

DisneyDoctor

Daryl W was not happy about what read online about people with scooters and we don't know if he encountered rude people at the parks also. Daryl W has a wife that has disabilities and has to a use a scooter. It is possible that he had to encounter guests that made nasty comments to his wife or based on what he read online about people that use scooters on Disney forums. I can't blame him for his feelings.

I have a rough idea because there are some people that can be very nasty at WDW to the point that it can hurt their experience.

The truth is people have made not so nice comments about people who use scooters. People on this forum have made comments about how their love ones were treated poorly by rude because they had to a ride scooter for medical purposes.

I have an aunt that went to Magic Kingdom in 2016 and treated like crap by other guests at MK because she uses a scooter. My Aunt uses scooter because has medical problems that makes it hard for her to walk. My Aunt's own 3 granddaughters, her daughter and her husband was there when park guests said nasty things about her because she uses a scooter. My Aunt tried to make her 3 granddaughters first time at MK a fun and great experience for them, but it is not right for her family seeing her being treated bad by rude guests. My Aunt privately had some not so nice kind words about the rude guests because made her so angry. I can't blame her.

My Aunt did have good experience at MK with her family, but the truth there is no reason for rude guests saying nasty things to her. What she liked was how nice and helpful the cast members were to her and her group.
I'm sorry if that came off like I was supporting being rude to those in scooters. I never have, and never will, be rude to scooter users. I have no way of knowing the situation, and anytime I see someone in that situation I genuinely feel bad for said person. I haven't said a single thing on this forum to suggest I have anything against scooter users. BUT, I do not have respect for people who wish anything bad on other people. Daryl has all the right to be upset, but coming on this site to wish disability on people is disrespectful and evil. I've had heated discussions with many on this thread (SPORK, I'm looking at you ;)), but I would NEVER wish anything bad on them.

21stamps

Ive never viewed Disney as a magical bubble, so maybe I look at it differently than some. I love it, don’t get me wrong, but there are other destinations that I love as well...and they all end up at about the same out of pocket expense when said and done.

My point, and I think the point of others, is that the (whole) world has changed over the past 10 years, the travel industry has changed drastically.. and we’ve probably changed as well. You can adapt and figure out what suits you best, or people can continue to go and then complain that the value wasn’t there.
Millions of people still find value in Disney, others don’t. Not finding value in something doesn’t mean that it’s now bad, it just means it may not suit you.

DisneyDoctor

I have been following Rusty on this thread and I think it's safe to say that you missed a lot and inserted something that wasn't there........
Oh and Stamps and our resident medic, you two, too, might want to reread some of these exchanges.
I've been keeping up pretty well, but thanks. If you have any advice please share. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to say.

This is for my buddy Spork: this person has very few posts on here, yet you liked their post! What's up with that my dude? It seems that those that agree with you, but still have little experience on here are okay in your books. BUT, those with little experience who disagree with you are no good. I think you should give everyone a fair chance.

21stamps

I agree that Disney is one of the most unique vacation destinations in the world. I love it for the same reasons as you and most other people on this forum.

But, I have to wonder if other places around the world have changed similar to the change you speak of with Disney. I have to admit my travel experience is very limited, so I can't really use experience to answer this. But, I'm curious if anyone else has input that can help answer this. Is the entire vacation industry changing, or are these changes unique to Disney?

Yes, the entire travel industry has changed. There is a large focus on customizing your own experience- i.e many upcharge options. It’s been this way for a few years now.. something that has definitely changed in the past 10 years.. because there was a market for it.

MrHappy

Let's agree, Disney isn't the same as it was in the past. And neither are any of us. On page one of this thread someone said it's not as Magical as it was in 1973....well maybe some of your preferences, physical and mental thresholds and health has also changed in the last 44 years. Heck, when I visited in 2014 (without kids) vs 2016 (with kids) it was very different magic.
Technology, market demand, US culture, all these things will continue to shape and evolve the WDW forever (God willing)...it will never be as it was even a year ago. But each subsequent year, people will always remember the past more fondly than the more recent agonies of the present.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Let's agree, Disney isn't the same as it was in the past. And neither are any of us. On page one of this thread someone said it's not as Magical as it was in 1973....well maybe some of your preferences, physical and mental thresholds and health has also changed in the last 44 years. Heck, when I visited in 2014 (without kids) vs 2016 (with kids) it was very different magic.
Technology, market demand, US culture, all these things will continue to shape and evolve the WDW forever (God willing)...it will never be as it was even a year ago. But each subsequent year, people will always remember the past more fondly than the more recent agonies of the present.

The law of diminishing returns, or perhaps stockholm syndrome. :joyfull:

wdwfan4ver

Have you ever made a mistake at your job?

[
There is a catch. You don't the nature of my work at all. The truth is in my line of work, you can be in a lot of hot water depending on how big of a mistake. It's not life or death, but companies don't want any mistakes working with numbers if possible.

Making mistakes in some occupations can cause a person to die, get hurt, or get the company you work for get sued.

The other thing is I grew up in a family that one of my parents worked in a very dangerous line of work. If you make a mistake in that parents line of work, you'll be dead. That is how that parents line of work was explained to me when I was a kid.

I know House keep is not dangerous, but it doesn't make okay to make mistake based on how it was described. This house keeping mistake was different the one I experience in August. The one I experienced in August was House keep took my cash for a tip and didn't do the room. My party called front desk about it and the House keep came. What happened was they were distracted due to them have to go to another room with plans of going to back the room I stayed at. That Mistake was understandable.

Last edited:
There is a catch. You don't the nature of my work at all. The truth is in my line of work, you can be in a lot of hot water depending on how big of a mistake. It's not life or death, but companies don't want any mistakes working with numbers if possible.

Making mistakes in some occupations can cause a person to die, get hurt, or get the company you work for get sued.

The other thing is I grew up in a family that one of my parents worked in a very dangerous line of work. If you make a mistake in that parents line of work, you'll be dead. That is how that parents line of work was explained to me when I was a kid.

But this is WDW, there are no lives on the line. If your coffee maker isn't working, no one will die. And I'm pretty sure Disney will try and take care of it for you.

People make mistakes everyday. No one is perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom