A long time Disney fan turns sour!

clarabellej

I disagree with some of your points. First, the food. I actually find the food to be on an upswing. They have had many menu changes over the last 5 years. No, not every restaurant is the same burger and hotdog. I assume you've been eating at Casey's Corner and Starlight Cafe (which both have an improving menu) because those are the only large scale restaurants at MK that are counter service and serve hotdogs and hamburgers. Columbia Harbor House has great seafood, Pecks Bills for Texmex (which is amazing). And that's just at MK! Pandora has amazing food, hell DAK in general has amazing food. The only park with poor food diversity is DHS which won't have that problem come 2019.

I have personally never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus at Disney Springs. I find the bus system to be improving with new stations, monitors and most importantly buses. If you're standing on a bus that means Disney is operating their buses efficiently. Furthermore you mentioned it was crowded, which further explains why you had to stand.

Just my thoughts from my experiences as an AP. For the record I like FP+ as an AP but can understand the frustration when you can't get the ones you want. I think there shouldn't be such a thing as FPs but that is a conversation for a different thread.
I disagree about the food complaint as well.

I think we’ve gotten spoiled. Disney has some really enjoyable, pretty awesome food selections. And yes, they are QS.

We have never done a dining plan.

We love Columbia Harbor House & BOG at MK and Sunshine Seasons in Epcot just to name a few. Les Halles in Epcot’s France is delicious too! Flame Tree BBQ at AK.

Sunshine Seasons is probably our favorite QS in all the parks. You can get a beautiful fresh salad here.

BOG is not the most fantastic food, but it is pretty tasty when you remember you are eating inside an amusement park (meaning no offense to Disney). I mean, sit back and just look around you. The inside of Beast’s Castle is pretty spectacular!!

They are working on HS.

I have been going to Disney for years and you used to just have your typical park fare. Bland burgers, hot dogs and sodas. No longer true. There is something for everyone. Really an adventure of food choices for every budget and taste.

If you choose to, you can get some truly healthy meals here. A really wide variety IMO.

clarabellej

I’ve come to realize something over the past 3 years-

The planning stress/timetables is no one’s fault but our own. It isn’t necessary to have “a magical trip”. The internet makes us think that it is, but it’s not.
Uh, the planning kinda is necessary these days.

I think that may be part of the issue here.

You can tour pretty easily if you plan ahead and have your FPs lined up.

It may seem like a pain, but it pays off in the end.

No such thing as “winging it” at Disney any more. Those that don’t realize this will have a miserable time of it!

But you compare that to Tokyo Dinseyland where you have 3 hours waits for rides and 1 hour waits for popcorn and you realize we still don't have it that bad.

But Tokyo's attraction offerings and facades are worth the waits and crazy crowding; thus, your comparison looks faulty to me.

Ok, to be more fair no popcorn is worth waiting more than 6 minutes. And this western chap found those Gyoza dogs nasty and unedible(clearly a cultural phenomenon).

clarabellej

Not true. I was there for spring break a couple of times in the mid 70's and there was huge crowd at MK. Rides had two hour waits. I learned then that going during school breaks to places that kids go to is a bad idea. I would never go to FL for spring break anywhere especially MK and that's been true since the 70's.

Honestly I did go to Daytona during spring break back in Mtv's hey day because it was a crowded drunken mess. Lots of fun for the age I was during the time. That was mid 80's.
We only go for Spring Break and have for years now.

So much more pleasant than summer heat.

With the new FP system, you can just breeze thru the crowds.

Epcot during Flower and Garden Festival is glorious and you can even throw in a free concert.

We used to go in summer, but after trying March instead, we’ve never looked back.

I think we’ve visited every spring since 2006!!

clarabellej

Having a room that was in dis repair, would be a big crap out to a vacation. I hope you asked for another room, or some form of compensation for not getting what you paid for. That is not too much to ask. We paid for a DDP on our trip and enjoyed Character meals and sit down meals all trip long. We hit a few quick service if we felt like it. I paid and planned for my trip 2 months out, so many dining options were hard to come buy. Yes, I found that open times ended up during shows and fireworks. Food was fine for a wife with a sleave surgery and a very picky 10 year old girl. I spread my FP+ out across the day, and we just did what we want till we had our FP to go to. Yes it is hard to figure out what you want to do so far ahead, but take the time to get a base plan together and then just roll with it, your on vacation. TS Vs QS dining has always been a point of contention on this board. QS has always been fast food, and some of the places we went like Cosmic Rays getting a chicken sandwich wasn't too great for my wife and I. I am an Army Vet, and even I would prefer an MRE to that sandwich, but then that reaffirmed having sit down meals. Taking the time for the sit down meal and get off your feet for a while.
The buses, yes it is public transportation no doubt about it. We stayed at the ASMo resort, which is the last stop on the All Star stops. So either the bus was full when we went to board or last ones off and had to jostle around as others needed off. If you left first thing before the rush crowds it wasn't bad in the morning at night we would be waiting for a bus, and seeing moderate and premium resort buses come and go. That's when you remember , oh ya i got a value resort. Our next rip toe WDW, we plan to stay at the Poly. Because we will pay for the upgrade to have a bit more options for a way back to the resort. Bus, Boat, or Monorail.
Cosmic Ray’s is always pretty hectic and not the best food. There are so many other places to choose from!

We like Columbia Harbor House. We grab a table upstairs.

clarabellej

The buses are now dispatched by computer to have the buses arrive at each stop every 20 minutes. There is a transportation person at each park to identify long lines and dispatch extra buses to help out. The bus driver doesn’t know what stop he/she has until crossing a certain point when arriving at the bus drop off at the parks.
Those buses are pretty darn magical when you think about it!!

We were leaving HS at the height of spring break last March and the buses were indeed miraculous.

They had them lined up and waiting while they loaded them. They had even called in recruits/using buses that were usually for travel to and from the airports as backup.

We were back at our resort in no time.

Sure, you may wait a bit while the handicapped are loaded. I think the issue is we are all so deliriously exhausted from a day at the parks that some people can’t tolerate the wait.

IMO Disney is on point with those buses!!! Think of the hoards of people they move from point A to point B. Usually in a pretty flawless manner. It is something to see.

clarabellej

For sure. Planning and research is important and part of any trip, Disney or not.
I think what Jae99 was saying, or at least what I have been saying, is the claims of - “Disney makes us plan all of our meals at 180 days out” and “all of our rides at 60 days out”- these comments, which are plentiful online, have made people think that’s what must be done.. and then that extends to planning every day almost by the hour, because “Disney forces us to”.
They don’t force us to, and it isn’t necessary to have a fantastic trip. 60 day FP may be needed for 1 or 2 rides if you want the peace of mind of having them before you arrive, 1 or 2 restaurants that are “must dos” can be booked a few months early.. but most restaurants will show availability in less than 30 days from a trip.
The thing is, almost every vacation is similar in that regard.. even if it’s not rides that you’re booking early. For some reason we tend to stress about Disney even more than other destinations, I definitely fell for it. The key is to be flexible if something goes wrong, just like we would if we were anywhere else in the non-disney world.
Planning IS a must. Disney does not have as many uncrowded times as it used to.

So you can choose to enjoy your FPs and the shorter line, or you can stand in the long standby line.

If you take a moment to choose your FPs, you no longer need to get in the long standby line at all!

Try it some time. Believe me, it will lend to a much more magical experience.

clarabellej

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I like to think Disney can handle some constructive criticism.

Another thing that bugs me is while in the planning stages, I don’t get much satisfaction when I call and talk to Disney.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The call system and all those prompts.

Supposedly, if you update your profile on MDE, you will not have to answer as many prompts. Not true. And to go thru this over the course of several calls can be pretty excruciating.

The Disney music while on hold can only calm me down to a certain extent!

Then it all depends on who you speak to. Answers will vary.

Even when you get some Pixie Dust. So do not take “no” for an answer.

You can try writing them, but you will most likely get a very scripted non response that might include a phone number suggesting you call.

You end up in a “if you give a mouse a cookie” situation!!!

I need to contact them about one more little thing for an upcoming trip and I am dreading it.

I love Disney, don’t get me wrong, but one of these days I am going to ask them to please just cut the crap and answer my question.

Sometimes the CMs are just a little too magical.

The ones on the “chat” on Shop Disney are masters at Mickey speak that never seems to get to the point.

Thanks for letting me vent.

clarabellej

"may" ???
Um no, there is no "may" about it.
You are too delicate and charitable to the point of losing credibility.
If there is a loading and securing of chairs, then there most definitely WILL be a wait.
Ok, so we wait. Not a big deal.

I am usually half asleep at that point.

Still pretty amazing to me how smoothly it usually goes.

seabreezept813

Okay, how about me? I’ve been going to WDW since 1991; I’ve been a member here since 2011; I have almost 29,000 posts; and I asssure you I’m not a CM, a plant, or a Mommy Blogger ....

I love WDW. I loved it before kids, after kids, and now without kids again. I can’t wait until the grandchildren start coming, so I can take them to my happy place. That being said - I will never take them in July, August, or December ... ‘cause duh!

For me, it’s not Disney that is chipping away at my satisfaction, it is the fact that that there are just too many darn people in the parks. Luckily, I can go during the few remaining off-peak times. I’m willing to skip the EMH parks which are bound to be the most crowded, and I’ve been there so often that I don’t have to do everything. I’m willing to relax and enjoy the resort pools. I’m thrilled to spend a day at Disney Springs and take the boat over to POFQ for some mid-day beignets. I no longer rush from one E-ticket to another.

And while I would prefer that FP’s didn’t exist, I am more than willing to work them to my advantage. Hubby says the dining experiences are still first rate, and he has yet to have a bad meal. I spend a lot of time picking our ADR’s, striving for the right blend of new experiences and old favourites; Signature dining and character meals.

Some of us still love WDW. Deal with it. :)

We’ve always gone in August and never struggled to not do everything we want to, but we plan accordingly. As a teacher, our travel months are limited. Anyone who is so let down by Disney, I will gladly go for them. We save for our trips for a few years, so really appreciate them. Thought this summer would be the next trip, but have a baby coming in April. So already trying to plan for a year from now.. it’s still the most magical place we know❤️

pax_65

You can tour pretty easily if you plan ahead and have your FPs lined up.

One of my concerns with FP+ is how slowly the standby lines move. My experience with a party of 4 on a relatively busy day has been that once you use up your allotted FPs for the day (which you planned ahead and got at 60 days out) it is very difficult to get additional FPs for popular attractions for that day - at least for all 4 people to ride together. So then you are looking at the standby lines, which will be very long waits. I suppose you could ride separately via the single rider lines or whatever FPs each person can scrounge but the whole idea (and Walt's vision) was that we would have fun TOGETHER.

I haven't been to WDW in two years now (strange for me to even say that!) so if this is no longer accurate let me know.

Prior to FP+, we used to be "rope drop" people who rode everything first thing and grabbed paper FPs along the way to use as the crowds started to build. We were able to enjoy many more attractions more quickly in those days than we can do now. :(

pax_65

Okay, how about me? I’ve been going to WDW since 1991; I’ve been a member here since 2011; I have almost 29,000 posts; and I asssure you I’m not a CM, a plant, or a Mommy Blogger ....

I love WDW. I loved it before kids, after kids, and now without kids again. I can’t wait until the grandchildren start coming, so I can take them to my happy place. That being said - I will never take them in July, August, or December ... ‘cause duh!

For me, it’s not Disney that is chipping away at my satisfaction, it is the fact that that there are just too many darn people in the parks. Luckily, I can go during the few remaining off-peak times. I’m willing to skip the EMH parks which are bound to be the most crowded, and I’ve been there so often that I don’t have to do everything. I’m willing to relax and enjoy the resort pools. I’m thrilled to spend a day at Disney Springs and take the boat over to POFQ for some mid-day beignets. I no longer rush from one E-ticket to another.

And while I would prefer that FP’s didn’t exist, I am more than willing to work them to my advantage. Hubby says the dining experiences are still first rate, and he has yet to have a bad meal. I spend a lot of time picking our ADR’s, striving for the right blend of new experiences and old favourites; Signature dining and character meals.

Some of us still love WDW. Deal with it. :)

I honestly wish I could have your attitude. Like you I've been going to WDW since 1991. I have two issues, and I understand these are certainly my issues - the way I look at things.

First, I keep comparing my vacation experience to what I used to have at WDW in the 90s and 2000s. While WDW is still an enjoyable experience it is not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. I admit, I would probably be better off if I just stopped the comparison and just enjoyed it for what it is.

Second, as the cost of park passes keeps going up I've started thinking a lot about the value that Disney gives me. I'm still buying my kids tickets (they're not quite out on their own yet), so I'm looking at the cost of 4 park passes (not 2). It's a big pricetag. So when I'm unable to get a FP for a popular attraction or I'm standing in lines all day, I start to question whether that cost is worth it. Yes, I've experienced the attractions before so it shouldn't be a big deal (and I enjoy the resort pool too) but I don't like feeling like I'm getting ripped off.

Maybe when it's just my wife and I we can buy annual passes again (we used to get them every year, no longer) and just pop in and out of the parks for shorter periods without worrying about all this stuff. I hope so. We'll see...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I honestly wish I could have your attitude. Like you I've been going to WDW since 1991. I have two issues, and I understand these are certainly my issues - the way I look at things.

First, I keep comparing my vacation experience to what I used to have at WDW in the 90s and 2000s. While WDW is still an enjoyable experience it is not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. I admit, I would probably be better off if I just stopped the comparison and just enjoyed it for what it is.

Second, as the cost of park passes keeps going up I've started thinking a lot about the value that Disney gives me. I'm still buying my kids tickets (they're not quite out on their own yet), so I'm looking at the cost of 4 park passes (not 2). It's a big pricetag. So when I'm unable to get a FP for a popular attraction or I'm standing in lines all day, I start to question whether that cost is worth it. Yes, I've experienced the attractions before so it shouldn't be a big deal (and I enjoy the resort pool too) but I don't like feeling like I'm getting ripped off.

Maybe when it's just my wife and I we can buy annual passes again (we used to get them every year, no longer) and just pop in and out of the parks for shorter periods without worrying about all this stuff. I hope so. We'll see...

You're not alone on this. The Disney cheerleaders here who blame you and everyone else who doesn't have the most magical time ever are disingenuous at best.

21stamps

This is valid, because value is subjective. If you don’t see value, if you feel like you’re getting ripped off, then you shouldn’t spend money on that item/experience.
What one person sees value in, may not hold value for someone else, and that’s ok! The key is to realize that maybe you’ve changed as well. It doesn’t matter if 2 are in your party, or 4...if the value isn’t there then don’t go.

Or... if you wish that you could still see value- take a good hard look at what you are comparing, write it down. Come up with your own alternatives as to what could make your trips better.. Maybe you will see value at that point, maybe you won’t, but that might help.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
You're not alone on this. The Disney cheerleaders here who blame you and everyone else who doesn't have the most magical time ever are disingenuous at best.
What does this even mean? Nobody is “blaming” anyone who isn’t having a magical time.

I’m an admitted Pixie Dust snorter. I don’t “shame” anyone who isn’t.

Go to WDW, have a good time and share your happy experiences. Or go, have a crappy time, and moan and complain online about it. Or, stay home, save your money, and pat yourself on the back. But seriously, to attack someone else who doesn’t have the exact same experience as you (positive or negative) is juvenile.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What does this even mean? Nobody is “blaming” anyone who isn’t having a magical time.

I’m an admitted Pixie Dust snorter. I don’t “shame” anyone who isn’t.

Go to WDW, have a good time and share your happy experiences. Or go, have a crappy time, and moan and complain online about it. Or, stay home, save your money, and pat yourself on the back. But seriously, to attack someone else who doesn’t have the exact same experience as you (positive or negative) is juvenile.

You haven't read the whole thread. Here are a few examples from the last few pages.

• This is a perfect example of someone with misaligned expectations, who could have benefited from some practical advice before going. Now they are blaming everything on WDW and the system, loss of magic, etc.
  • ...because they feel like they are entitled to being catered and pampered at all times.
  • The change we’ve seen at Disney over the past few decades is mostly the behavior of the guests, not the company itself.
  • So TLDR you're upset because it was crowded in a popular vacation destination in mid-December.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom