A long overdue honeymoon TR

Hello everyone! :wave:

Welcome to my first Trip Report! Normally I am not such a procrastinator…quite the opposite really. I am one of those hyper-organized types, and I had every intention of writing a Trip Report soon after we returned from the honeymoon since I really enjoy reading all the other TRs on this site, but it got put off until now. The big reason why I didn’t do it right away is because part way through the trip I decided I didn’t want to do one at all because we’d been rained on all week, and I thought the whole report would just be “and then it was raining again” or “and then it started pouring” or “so we had to put on those #$%& ponchos again,” etc. Not that we didn’t have a great time, because we did (how could we not? We were on our honeymoon in DISNEY WORLD, of all places), but we’d been looking at the forecast before we went and I definitely had the (stupid) attitude of “it can’t possibly rain all week, it’s our honeymoon!” and like I said, we got rained on, and at times, it sucked. So now that I am over the slight bitterness and am planning the next trip (more on that later) I can look back on our trip in May and remember only the great times we had, and not the rain…well, for the most part :rolleyes:

So who are “we”?

That would be me – Shannon (25) and my husband, Will (24):

Screen%20shot%202009-09-18%20at%2010.52.37%20PM.jpg

We started dating in February 2005, got engaged in March 2008, and married on May 16, 2009. (Weirdly enough, it rained on our wedding day too and through the ceremony, but cleared up in time for the reception. Maybe we just bring the rain wherever we go.) Being the crazy planner that I am, right after we got engaged (the day of, in fact) I started thinking about planning the wedding and the honeymoon. I wanted to lie on a beach all week, but Will wanted to go to Disney. I’d only been one time - August of 1995 - so obviously a lot has changed since then, and I sort of viewed it as a little kid’s place, like so many that just “don’t know” do. Will had been a few times, most recently in high school I think, and said he wanted us to have a fun honeymoon, more than just lying on the beach. I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers, so I said sure, and off we went. I’ll admit, I was sort of embarrassed to tell people where we were going on our honeymoon because of the “little kid” thing, but despite that, my crazy planner instincts kicked in and I bought the Unofficial Guide, joined this site, and we booked our trip through AAA (thank you B4/G3 deal!). In almost no time at all, despite not having been to WDW for almost 15 years, I realized that I was already hooked and Will was right to insist that this is where we’d spend our honeymoon. Eventually I was more excited for the honeymoon than I was for the wedding.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Congratulations on your marriage!!! I am really enjoying your trip report-sorry you had so much rain. One of my favorite days of all time at Disney was a rainy day on our very first visit...it just gave the parks a different feel(besides feeling wet!!!). I definitely would not want it my entire trip though-glad you had fun anyway!

You're right, it definitely does give the parks a different feel, and helps a lot with the lines. The ponchos made it much more bearable :D

Enjoying your report!! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Thank you!:wave:

Loving your trip report! Congrats on your marriage!

And totally know how you felt on the rainy Fantasmic I was in Disney around that time. We sat for an hour under a drizzle until the show started. And we too saw little kids with no ponchos, jackets etc...
keep the report coming!!

Thank you! I mean, I'm not trying to judge those parents (especialyl since I myself am not a parent), but I myself was feeling slightly miserable so I just thought it would probably be worse for a 2-year-old :shrug: Who knows!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 6: Epcot and Magic Kingdom

Day 6 began nice and sunny. We headed over to Epcot and into Future World for some Soarin’ FPs. FPs in hand, we hopped into the line for our first ride of the day. We both enjoyed it quite a bit, and by the time we were done we were in our FP window and got to ride again!

After Soarin’ we explored the rest of Future World and were pretty underwhelmed. I really didn’t enjoy Test Track very much – the outside part of the ride was fun, but the inside (brake testing, going over the bumps, etc.) wasn’t too great in my opinion.

We headed into the WS for lunch. Will got some counter service from Morocco – he said that this was his favorite CS meal of the trip.

DSC01108.JPG

I headed back to France and got another quiche, along with a strawberry tart.

DSC01109.JPG

Before leaving, we spotted Princess Aurora tucked away in a corner of France doing meet and greets ("Have a safe horse ride home!"):

DSC01110.JPG

As we headed toward the International Gateway, we spotted Alice in England and grabbed a photo with her…she made me feel so tall!

DSC01111.JPG

We headed back to our hotel room and to shower and change, and then came right back to WS for our ADRs at Le Cellier. We met up with Cinderella on the way to Canada (“I see you’ve found your Happily-Ever-After!”), and she taught me how to stand like a princess. She was my favorite character of the week:

DSC01112.JPG

We really enjoyed this meal a lot – our server was great, just very attentive and so nice. I had a mushroom-less filet, which was good but again, not as good as Jiko’s! I got the Maple Creme Brulee for dessert, which was good but incredibly sugary! Somehow I managed to finish it though.

DSC01115.JPG

DSC01123.JPG

Will got the 3-course meal, starting with the Cheddar Cheese soup and then having the gnocchi, followed by the sherbet for dessert (I think it was coconut flavored). The gnocchi was REALLY good...I think I'll probably have that next trip:

DSC01116.JPG

DSC01121.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
After dinner, we hopped onto the monorail and headed over to the Magic Kingdom. The clouds were rolling in again, and I was starting to get really worried that our evening plans would be ruined.

The clouds roll in again..
DSC01127.JPG

We explored Fantasyland and tested out our strength...
DSC01129.JPG

...before hopping onto the Liberty Square Riverboat:
DSC01131.JPG

DSC01133.JPG

Once we got off the boat, my fears were realized – a raging thunderstorm had landed on the Magic Kingdom. We (along with seemingly every other guest in the park) tried to wait it out in Pecos Bill’s, but it quickly became apparent that this was no passing shower. With our ponchos on, we ran through the Magic Kingdom and out to the bus stops. We were on the bus and on the way back to the hotel – no Spectro, no Wishes :cry:. I was really upset about this. We set up camp in our room and ventured out into the rain for some comfort food – Boardwalk pizza for Will, strawberry cheesecake ice cream for me. And that’s how day 6 ended…bummer!

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 7: Epcot and homeward bound

I woke up the last day of our trip determined to have a great time after the disappointing end to the previous evening, and we had a good start – the sun was out, no clouds in the sky. We woke up slowly and I took the chance to take photos of some hidden Mickeys around our room and the resort:

DSC01138.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

We had a bit of a mix-up with Magical Express on the way out. I was able to check-in at the hotel, but right before Will began the process, the system went down, and they couldn’t fix it. They informed us that while they could take our luggage, we would need to check in at the airline counter in MCO. Very strange. It ended up not being a problem, but it was nerve-wracking.

We then headed to the WS with one agenda in mind – characters! We grabbed a Times Guide and proceeded to make our way around the world, taking photos with our new friends. First up was Mulan in China (“It was an honor to meet you!”)

DSC01142.JPG

Yikes!

DSC01145.JPG

This was the first day of what I think of as typical Florida weather – the sun was blazing and it was easily 90 degrees out. I decided to tempt fate…bye-bye ponchos! :sohappy:

DSC01146.JPG

Next we headed to Germany to meet Snow White (pre-permanent meet and greet). After informing Will that “the picture would probably look better if you weren’t holding your potato chips,” she posed for a photo:

DSC01149.JPG

When then met Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco:

DSC01150.JPG

And Belle in France:

DSC01151.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
We stopped at the Norway CS for an OOP lunch, which was soooo tasty…unfortunately since we paid OOP we didn’t want to get desserts, and man, were they hard to resist! Next trip we are definitely stopping in Norway for lunch.

Next trip, I am all over these guys:

DSC01160.JPG

DSC01161.JPG

After lunch, we caught up with Donald in Mexico and decided that it was time to head back to the Boardwalk to make final preparations to leave. We grabbed our carry-ons from the bellhops and caught the bus back to MCO, and our trip was done.

DSC01163.JPG

Final thoughts:

- Even though the rain was discouraging at times, I know there’s no way we could’ve gotten on as many rides as we had without it. But at the same time, I wonder if we missed a lot of character interactions and street performers because of it (the Boardwalk itself had a lot of closed booths, for example). I’ll be curious to see if this is different on future trips, assuming it won’t rain like it did, of course. Either way, I’m glad that we made the most of our trip and didn’t just “go to a nearby mall” as my mom suggested (seriously???) :eek:

- We thought that everything, from start to finish, was great in terms of quality and what we got for our money. Overall, food was great, service was great, and we loved the hotel. We thought the trip was a bargain, especially with B4/G3.

- We really enjoyed having the Dining Plan – it was so nice to have everything paid for and not to really worry about spending a ton on food. On the other hand, it was so hard to start cooking for myself again once I got home! :(

- I am so glad that I listened to my husband and agreed to go to WDW for our honeymoon! It was so much fun…much better than my original idea.

- My biggest disappointment of the trip (besides the crazy rain) was not getting to see Spectro and Wishes the night before we left…this is a must-do for our next trip! Another thing we didn’t get to do that we were really disappointed about was Cirque du Soleil – they were on their break when we were there. Another must-do for next time.

Which brings me to…

Future trip(s):

Next up for us is a trip the week of Thanksgiving! :sohappy: Will’s parents offered to take us as a gift, which came completely out of nowhere. Obviously this is not the best time to go, but Will is a teacher and can’t take consecutive days off, and the only other time we could go would be the week before Christmas, which is super crowded, according to what I’ve heard. So we’ll be back in the World much sooner than we expected (we were hoping to go back toward the end of next year). Our ADRs are made, and as a thank-you to the inlaws we bought Cirque tickets for the 4 of us, so we’re pretty much all set and looking forward to being in the World for holiday festivities (although no MVMCP…we want to check that out sometime).

After that, I’m thinking early June or late August might be the way to go for us, with Will’s schedule. We’ll see I guess.

And that’s our trip! Thanks so much for reading!! :wave:

PoohBear119

DH and I stayed at the Beach Club for our honeymoon and have since become DVC members at Bay Lake Tower.

BTW I completely understand the teacher thing, both DH and I are teachers. But we are managing to take a few days off in January to go down to the world.

Great trip report!:animwink:

Ariel484

Original Poster
DH and I stayed at the Beach Club for our honeymoon and have since become DVC members at Bay Lake Tower.

BTW I completely understand the teacher thing, both DH and I are teachers. But we are managing to take a few days off in January to go down to the world.

Great trip report!:animwink:

Thanks! We'd love to become DVC members, but we're saving for a house right now so it's probably not the right time just yet...but maybe someday!

Have fun on your trip in January, I hear that's a great time to go! :wave:

Love the trip report. I also love the fact that before May you had only been once in 1995, and now there are 3 upcoming trips tentatively planned. That place just does it and sucks you in for more and more. LOL! I have been almost 30 times throught my life and I could seriosly go thirty more and not feel like I have been there enough. That magic there is like a drug.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Love the trip report. I also love the fact that before May you had only been once in 1995, and now there are 3 upcoming trips tentatively planned. That place just does it and sucks you in for more and more. LOL! I have been almost 30 times throught my life and I could seriosly go thirty more and not feel like I have been there enough. That magic there is like a drug.

To tell you the truth, I was thinking about future trips BEFORE we left for the honeymoon! Haha. You're right that it is like a drug, I definitely went through withdrawal when we came home :cry:

Thanks for reading! :wave:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Love the trip report and pictures! I'm glad to see you were bit by the character bug. :sohappy:
Thank you!! We're hoping to meet some more on our next trip in November.

Slightly OT but I loved your marathon TR! You inspired me to start running again, and I'm hoping to do a Disney race someday :D

TakeMeThere81

I'm so sorry you got stuck in the rain so much!! I loved the picture of you throwing your poncho away, that was great!! I am glad it was nice and sunny for you at the MK(for the most part) and you got a great castle pic. All of your food pictures and hidden Mickey pictures were so great!

Wishing you a long and happy marriage!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I'm so sorry you got stuck in the rain so much!! I loved the picture of you throwing your poncho away, that was great!! I am glad it was nice and sunny for you at the MK(for the most part) and you got a great castle pic. All of your food pictures and hidden Mickey pictures were so great!

Wishing you a long and happy marriage!

Thanks! The rain was discouraging at times, but it really did shorten the lines significantly (I think). Thanks for the compliments on the pics! :)

congrats to you guys and great trip report. better late than never, i'm glad you shared it with us!

Thank you!! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom