A Lingering Question

WED Purist

Original Poster
Why are so many people, who come here claiming to be fans of Disney, so negative all the time? Walt wasn't negative, the core of the company isn't negative, the feeling of the parks aren't negative. So, why is there such an arrogant, condescending tone in so many posts? And why all the personal attacks? Don't people understand that someone's opinion may be different, without being wrong?

Just wondering, I'll go back to watching a Disneyland show from '54 now.

Sans Souci

A lot of negativity comes from a genuine love of the Disney that they know it could be.

I agree with this. I don't think this a perfect analogy given the transient nature of professional athletes, but it's like when your home team wins the Super Bowl or some other championship. You're excited and you've watched all season how the team performed beautifully, like a well-oiled machine. The next season rolls around and you're watching the same team and they're not performing so well. It's frustrating because you know darn well these guys are not performing to their maximal potential.

I think this is were a lot of the angst and lamentation comes from for Disney fans. We know from past experiences WDW can do so much better. I love WDW and I dream of a return to its "Golden Years."

What is that old saw about insanity and performing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome? Yeah, that describes me continuing to visit WDW. :)

smw

My thought on the whole "what it used to be" thing is this... Nothing is ever what it used to be, and nothing was the way it seemed to have been. It's all a matter if perspective.

There was actually a story on NPR recently about skewed memories. Something about how we remember things being better than they actually were, because of sentiment, emotions, etc... I think this happens with Disney World for a lot of us. I'll see if I can find a link to the story. I'm sure it will explain it much better than I can.

Moving Forward

I've noticed this in American society in general. Some time ago I remember when Gisele Bundchen dared use her freedom of speech to express opinions on breastfeeding :eek: People were up in arms because she expressed an opinion that they didn't agree with :rolleyes: I wonder how these people live their lives with such thin-skin :shrug:

misterID

If you think some of the posters here are harsh, nasty and negative, go have a seance and conjure up Walt's spirit and ask him what he thinks about the state of WDW.

real mad hatter

Meatloaf.

Why are so many people, who come here claiming to be fans of Disney, so negative all the time? Walt wasn't negative, the core of the company isn't negative, the feeling of the parks aren't negative. So, why is there such an arrogant, condescending tone in so many posts? And why all the personal attacks? Don't people understand that someone's opinion may be different, without being wrong?

Well said,I've just responded to a personal e-mail from a disgruntled blogger on this web site because I stated my opinion on a thread weeks and weeks ago.Why he didn't just respond to the thread instead of e-mailing me,maybe he's shy?oh the headline.Meatloaf. After reading your thread I thought to myself " You took the words right out of my mouth ".:wave:

dave&di

Well said,I've just responded to a personal e-mail from a disgruntled blogger on this web site because I stated my opinion on a thread weeks and weeks ago.Why he didn't just respond to the thread instead of e-mailing me,maybe he's shy?oh the headline.Meatloaf. After reading your thread I thought to myself " You took the words right out of my mouth ".:wave:

Meatloaf the food or Meatloaf the singer? One I can't stand and the other I find quite tasty, you decide which! :D

C&D

A lot of negativity comes from a genuine love of the Disney that they know it could be.
Not true IMO; it comes from the way the responding person wants it to be (in their mind), irregardless of other opinions or sometimes even consensus. Disney does so much so right (but they won't/can't please everyone all the time) just because of the vast diversity of ages, origins, experiences, traditions, etc. of so many different types of guests.

LuLaSue

I agree!

I can't understand... if you really love something how can you conjour up so much negativity towards it. I realize nothing is perfect but should the magic be diminished because it has not reached your maximum standard.

Live in the moment people! Enjoy the magic!

Who cares if we repeat ourselves....We all just really like reading and commenting on a wonderful place that allows us to hold onto and relive our childhood time and time again.

real mad hatter

Two Outa Three Ain't Bad.

Meatloaf the food or Meatloaf the singer? One I can't stand and the other I find quite tasty, you decide which! :D

Yeh,Know what you mean,that spicy Cajun loaf,Yuch!But on the other hand,that hunk of Texan meat,yummy.Only joking:ROFLOL:I like both.

misterID

For the record, if you like mediocrity, downgrading of the parks, and horrible management, because it gives you that magical feeling and you believe you should be satisfied with whatever the powers that be decide to give you... or not give you for that matter, that's fine. But you'll find the majority of criticism comes from a very good place and a lot of people are trying to make a difference by calling out the shady practices of WDW's management.

Even Disney employees (some high ranking ones out in Burbank) and legendary Imagineers feel the exact same way some of the more "negative" posters around here feel... So, don't mistake this as some group of trollish, finicky, hard to please, never satisfied A-holes. Or try to relegate them to that. It's not the case. It's a lot bigger than that.

Granted, as it's been pointed out, there are some WDW fans who are their own worst enemy who'll accept anything their given and shoot down any voice that disagrees... Whether coming from a "real" genuine place or not.

Jimmy Thick

Allow me to touch this subject.

Most of the people posting here do not seem to go to the parks. They make baseless accusations about things they have no real knowledge about.

How do I know this?

Simple, if they actually went to the parks, they would still understand they are indeed a fantastic way to get away from the real world and enjoy a vacation with loved ones.

Disney World, is nothing more than that.

See a lot of posters here feel they are entitled to this fantastic myth about Disney World being this slum where every dollar and cent is being squeezed out of people for the sake of profit. Disney is allowed to make as much money as they possibly can, they offer a unique vacation no other resort can match, and factual numbers will back that statement until the world ends.

The "old days", for lack of a better term, is another myth being branded about on many boards, but that is nothing but a feable excuse to complain. The "old days" were not better than today, Iam enjoying bursting this bubble every chance I get, the only difference is, there was no internet in the "old days" where people can post about chipped paint, broken bulbs and whatever else people feel the need to bring up. Guess what, all that crap was there too, there just was no way to relay information instantly as there is now.

Disney World is not broke, it does not need fixing, there is just a small band of people who feel the need to whine about something to feel better because they have no real power to change anything associated with Disney's resorts, and they never will.

For Crying Out Loud.

Jimmy Thick-Actually going to Disney World next month!!!

cowanfamily

I rarely if ever am critical of what I see at WDW. I do understand why some get upset over what they see. Besides, if they didn't bring a negative viewoint to the table at times, this site would be extremely boring. With that being said, I recently returned from the parks and had a great time. However, IASW looked terrible. Skip any refurb, this needs a complete overhaul. other than that, had a great time!

jlevis

I have found that if I want to find an opinion on a subject, either pro or con, I can find it on the internet. I have also found that in most instances those opinions have no basis in reality and I will not let them color my experiences, one way of the other.

misterID

Most of the people posting here do not seem to go to the parks. They make baseless accusations about things they have no real knowledge about.

How do I know this?

Simple, if they actually went to the parks, they would still understand they are indeed a fantastic way to get away from the real world and enjoy a vacation with loved ones.

See a lot of posters here feel they are entitled to this fantastic myth about Disney World being this slum where every dollar and cent is being squeezed out of people for the sake of profit. Disney is allowed to make as much money as they possibly can, they offer a unique vacation no other resort can match, and factual numbers will back that statement until the world ends.

The "old days", for lack of a better term, is another myth being branded about on many boards, but that is nothing but a feable excuse to complain. The "old days" were not better than today, Iam enjoying bursting this bubble every chance I get, the only difference is, there was no internet in the "old days" where people can post about chipped paint, broken bulbs and whatever else people feel the need to bring up. Guess what, all that crap was there too, there just was no way to relay information instantly as there is now.

Disney World is not broke, it does not need fixing, there is just a small band of people who feel the need to whine about something to feel better because they have no real power to change anything associated with Disney's resorts, and they never will.

For Crying Out Loud.

So, you decided to brush off the JimmyThick username this week? Or is it just today? You have so many to choose from, and background stories, whether it be you're rich, or you get everything comped (or heavily discounted) whichever it is... Today, anyway...

real mad hatter

Well Said.

How do I know this?

For Crying Out Loud.

Spot on.Life seems to be full of people who prefer to see things in a negative sort of way.Well put my man.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom