A Fifth Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Universal Studios Hollywood. They started tours of their studio lot in 1915, charging people five cents, then multiple attractions popped up in 1964.

If you call walk through of sets, back lots, and riding a tram an attraction. That didn't come until several years later. Universal may like to state the California "theme" park started in 1964, but not really. Not when you are comparing yourself to theme parks like Knottsberry and Disneyland. I would call what started in 1964 more of an enhanced back lot tour, not a theme park. Even in 1983 (last time I visited) it was still very much a back lot tour with a guide since it was and still is a working studio (don't want guests to mistakenly wander onto working lots) - the only thing I would call a ride was Jaws.

EricJ

So... just keep the name? And a roller coaster?

Well, they'd have to--Everything else (State Fair, Victory Airfield, the Native river ride) was redesigned/repurposed for DCA.
Except for the "3D-sound Civil War" experience, which ended up at the West coast Mr. Lincoln.

I didn't know posting this topic would cause so much criticism. :eek:

Oh, that's okay, just post a thread asking when they're going to build Beastly Kingdom at AK. :p

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm specifically talking about Universal and DHS. The concept is exactly the same. A real film and television studio, with a theme park attached. As soon as Disney found out Universal had plans on taking Hollywood's concept to Florida, Eisner quickly set up plans to have a Disney park with the same concept, hence why WDW has DHS, a "studio park" with a "backlot". It has Universal Studios written all over it.

And opened one year before Universal.....

HouCuseChickie

While this is a topic that has been discussed considerably, the reality is that there has been a lot of buzz on this recently because of the recent management announcements. i.e. many others consider these moves to be significant enough to, at the very least, validate such thoughts and conversations.

Most of us don't think a 5th Gate will happen, but the reality is we have no clue what they've got up their sleeves. While I certainly don't have the background in managing anything like Disney, it seems moronic for them to not do something on a grand scale when it comes to all things Lucas. The reality is that Universal is doing big things with their big products...and they're doing it fairly quickly + reaping the benefits.

As for all of this flaming OP for introducing the topic...just because you feel it's been discussed to death doesn't mean others have. It may annoy you, but just don't bother joining the conversation if you feel that way. We have new people that join the forum every day and they may want to actually discuss a topic now vs. flipping through an old thread. I mean it is a forum, and while there are some great old threads, people do tend to enjoy an active thread. And Heaven forbid they bump an old thread! I'm not saying you don't have the right to be annoyed, but maybe consider some of this before flipping out over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom