A Fifth Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did do US and IoA two years ago and decided to make our trip to wdw this summer a split stay with Universal. We love it over there. It's different, but pretty cool.

MrDee

@raven24..... I believe I said Disney paved the way for Universal to exist in Florida...not sure, too lazy to go back and look at my previous post. If that's not what I wrote, it is what I meant. I've been to Universal in California, and I know they're quite different, but again didn't get THAT feeling that I like getting from amusement parks. I've been to Sea World many times. Pretty much bores me to tears, and always feel sad for the whales ( true story).

I could list all of the other amusement parks I've been to also, but they all fall into the same boat. Fun, but nowhere near as fun. At least not for me. Additionally, there are many parks I have never been to, nor have any desire to ever see. Lego Land comes to mind.

And back to the subject-at-hand, I would love to see a theme park based on video games. Disney Quest was an interesting thought, but....well, I'll just not say how I feel about that place.

StarWarsGirl

In regards to Disney paving the way for Universal... No. Disneyland is not the first theme park. Other parks paved the way for Disney. Also, Disney copied Universal when they made DHS.
Well, in a way, Disney did kind of pave the way with WDW as FL was basically swampland up until that point.

Cmdr_Crimson

I still think they could at least use this name for a park (and not where it was to be)
5873.DFJ_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Buuuut, change the aspect of what it was originally going to be. Just keep the Industrial Revolution coaster tho..
disneysamerica_html_59e4c826.jpg

Pocahontas

Original Poster
I still think they could at least use this name for a park (and not where it was to be)
5873.DFJ_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Buuuut, change the aspect of what it was originally going to be. Just keep the Industrial Revolution coaster tho..
disneysamerica_html_59e4c826.jpg
So... just keep the name? And a roller coaster?

What would the park be, if not like the original concept? Doesn't that coaster kind of fit the initial plans?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@raven24..... I believe I said Disney paved the way for Universal to exist in Florida...not sure, too lazy to go back and look at my previous post. If that's not what I wrote, it is what I meant. I've been to Universal in California, and I know they're quite different, but again didn't get THAT feeling that I like getting from amusement parks. I've been to Sea World many times. Pretty much bores me to tears, and always feel sad for the whales ( true story).

I could list all of the other amusement parks I've been to also, but they all fall into the same boat. Fun, but nowhere near as fun. At least not for me. Additionally, there are many parks I have never been to, nor have any desire to ever see. Lego Land comes to mind.

And back to the subject-at-hand, I would love to see a theme park based on video games. Disney Quest was an interesting thought, but....well, I'll just not say how I feel about that place.

Yes they did - Universal announced their Florida attraction sometime in the mid-80s. Personally, I would love to see a 5th park that would promote Disney's new acquisition of Lucas Films. I would be all over a Star Wars park over Pandora land any day. Disney certainly has sufficient land left and if Corporate wants to increase park attendance by 30,000 a day, imagine how crowded MK would be. The only reason I go to Universal is for Harry Potter and am excited about Diagon Alley.

Cmdr_Crimson

So... just keep the name? And a roller coaster?

What would the park be, if not like the original concept? Doesn't that coaster kind of fit the initial plans?

Well, while most of the ideas kind of went to DCA..The original idea was to be more heavy on Civil War and the Park was going to be close to Antietam Battlefield in VA...
Here's the info about it on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America

They could go do ideas on The National Parks, Colonial America (expand the Liberty square concept), Great inventors (The Edison square concept for Main Street).
D23_UDC_EdisonSquare1.jpg

Californian Elitist

Nobody said Disneyland was the first theme park... it was the first of its kind. Completely innovative and immersive.

+ Disney didn't "copy"... it's called competition. It was a smart move, if anything.

There were other immersive and innovative parks before Disneyland.

Disney copied Universal, plain and simple. The concept ended up failing, so I wouldn't actually call it a smart move.

Californian Elitist

Well, in a way, Disney did kind of pave the way with WDW as FL was basically swampland up until that point.

I don't think the poster was originally talking about theme parks in Florida, I can assume they were talking about theme parks in general. Speaking of the original Disney park and the original Universal Studios park, one did not pave the way for the other, in the sense of theme parks in general.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There were other immersive and innovative parks before Disneyland.

Disney copied Universal, plain and simple. The concept ended up failing, so I wouldn't actually call it a smart move.

Which Disney copied Universal? Disneyland or WDW? I grew up in LA. There was NO "park" at Universal Studios before Disneyland opened in 1955. The only other park in LA was Knottsberry Farm and it wasn't and still isn't any competition for Disneyland. WDW was built BEFORE Universal announced its Florida attraction. I visited Universal Studios in LA frequently (had a friend who worked there) and the only thing they had in the 70s was a tram tour of the studios. Went back in early 80s and they had added Jaws.

JohnD

Don't get me wrong -- I love going to WDW-- but I think they have achieved critical mass. There's only so much a visitor can do. Used to be that 1 week was a luxury with just MK. Save the rest of the time for rest, water parks, boating, etc.

Now you need two days in both MK and Epcot to fully explore them (4 days) and can probably accomplish HS and AK each in one day (2 days). One more day for DTD, maybe?

As was said before attention should be given to the existing parks, especially Epcot.

Californian Elitist

Which Disney copied Universal? Disneyland or WDW? I grew up in LA. There was NO "park" at Universal Studios before Disneyland opened in 1955. The only other park in LA was Knottsberry Farm and it wasn't and still isn't any competition for Disneyland. WDW was built BEFORE Universal announced its Florida attraction. I visited Universal Studios in LA frequently (had a friend who worked there) and the only thing they had in the 70s was a tram tour of the studios. Went back in early 80s and they had added Jaws.

I'm specifically talking about Universal and DHS. The concept is exactly the same. A real film and television studio, with a theme park attached. As soon as Disney found out Universal had plans on taking Hollywood's concept to Florida, Eisner quickly set up plans to have a Disney park with the same concept, hence why WDW has DHS, a "studio park" with a "backlot". It has Universal Studios written all over it.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Obviously you didn't live in Florida then. There were attractions, minor parks (Lion Country Safari in Broward County), Miami Seaquarium and Bush Gardens in Tampa opened in 1959, but more as a omage to beer than a theme park. However, WDW was the first and still is MAJOR theme park in Florida. And why Florida? Because land was cheap (until it leaked out who the purchaser was) and Walt learned his lesson with Disneyland.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm specifically talking about Universal and DHS. The concept is exactly the same. A real film and television studio, with a theme park attached. As soon as Disney found out Universal had plans on taking Hollywood's concept to Florida, Eisner quickly set up plans to have a Disney park with the same concept, hence why WDW has DHS, a "studio park" with a "backlot". It has Universal Studios written all over it.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Yes, I agree, Universal in Florida preceded DHS (called MGM then) in Florida.

Goofyernmost

I think an eventual 5th park is inevitable. I agree with you Avenger117 that a full on Marvel park should and could be done in awesome fashion. Another idea I've thought about is to somehow connect the existing parks without the need for so much bus hopping, while at the same time creating new things en route that one would be able to engage in. New themed lands connecting the parks, for example. I think a monorail heavy transportation system with a mega fleet could effectively do this. Alas, I know, I dream a lot.

Oh, and one other thing....I've never been to Universal down there and never plan to, but there is no denying they made an ace move with the Harry Potter thing. Disney has a multitude of top tier properties, and with the acquisition of Star Wars, I think they could blow Universal out of the water.
I thought I might interject a little reality in this thread. I don't care if people start talking about a 5th gate or not, but, just thinking about it, it becomes very difficult to understand why anyone would think that they would either want or need too.

They already have two half empty parks, with attractions boarded up and nothing happening. Three if you count Epcot in the mix. An argument can be made for that as well. They are having trouble keeping up with the 4 parks that they currently run, how do they add another without completely being overwhelmed? If your closest competition only has two parks, why would you consider an additional one before they match you for numbers?

Actually, you touched upon another reason in your last paragraph. You have never been to Universal and you don't intend to go. Many people feel that way and that is why the parks have gotten to a lesser point of quality then they used to be. They have the public brain washed and loyal to the point of ridiculousness. As long as their core fan group remains staunchly loyal to WDW, there is absolutely no reason to add to anything.

Everyone seems to forget that WDW currently dwarfs Uni for parks and attractions and attendance. Disney is the main attraction in the Orlando area. Universal has made some impressive increases since Harry Potter, but they still have a long way to go. And BTW, you should go to Uni someday, it is an awesome park. It's not Disney and never will be, but, it isn't the drunk uncle down the road. It is a quality destination.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Also, Universal opened as a theme park in 1964. This year is its 50th anniversary.

Which one? Orlando? That didn't open until 1990. The tram rides (just a back lot tour) started in 1964. The "theme" park concept was several years later. I know, I've been there several times (I said I had a friend who worked at Universal). The only "copying" Disney did was a movie studio themed park in Orlando, after Universal announced it was opening up an attraction in Florida in the mid 1980s.

Californian Elitist

Which one? Orlando? That didn't open until 1990. The tram rides (just a back lot tour) started in 1964. The "theme" park concept was several years later. I know, I've been there several times (I said I had a friend who worked at Universal). The only "copying" Disney did was a movie studio themed park in Orlando, after Universal announced it was opening up an attraction in Florida in the mid 1980s.

Universal Studios Hollywood. They started tours of their studio lot in 1915, charging people five cents, then multiple attractions popped up in 1964.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom